Late March, 76 AD

Life was pretty ordinary at the moment. Nothing big was happening, Rome was functioning well and so was the household. Teutus had moved out towards his new insula – a large one, of course, if Teutus was to move out, it better be to a good place. He was trying hard to make amends for all the wrongs he’d done Teutus over the years. He didn’t know if it worked. But at least he tried, right? And he also tried hard to do his best for his new son, Peregrinus, who was growing and looked like he had strings bound around his wrists at the moment. But that was only because he was nursed so well by Charis.

She had not gotten back to him yet, concerning what they spoke about last time they had a serious talk without Peregrinus there. She wanted to meet Wulfric and they had agreed she should try and find out what he was up to. Wulfric, his third son… with whom he was not trying hard to bond with at all. He didn’t trust his German son, didn’t know him and wasn’t sure he wanted to. He’d shown up so suddenly and he had brought chaos into something that was almost going well. Peregrinus was to be his heir, Teutus was freed and moving on to do his own thing, since he could not be made to inherit Tertius… so all was well, really. And then Wulfric came into the picture and ruined it all.

He often found himself sitting in the tablinum, just looking out the nearest opening but not really looking at anything. Lost in thoughts. Maybe it was his age. Maybe it was something else, he didn’t know. There was so much to think about. He’d almost forgotten what he was doing, when someone came in to block the view through the doorway. Charis. He shook his head, as if shaking off the thoughts and then focused on her. She was waiting politely, as the well-behaved slave she had become. Tertius smiled. At least one thing was going well.

“Charis, please, come in… and tell me what’s on your mind.” Tertius said in a friendly tone and waited. He’d not get more paperwork done now anyway. And he’d much rather talk to Charis than do that anyway.

@Sara

• Like 1

It had been a few days since her encounter with Wulfric and Charis...didn't know what to make of it. She had debated keeping her mouth shut, claiming that she hadn't been able to find him and hope Tertius forgot about it...but history had taught her that lies would always come out in the wash, and she'd not escape unscathed if Tertius found out she'd been dishonest. No - she had to tell him but...tell him what? That Wulfric found her out? Didn't trust her? Didn't reveal anything? Would that be worse than lying to Tertius, to let him know she'd failed? She sighed and realised there was no way to know unless she did it. Pushing herself up from her cot and pausing by her son's crib to leave a gentle kiss on his forehead, she glided through the domus to his tablinum. 

Her dominus looked deep in thought and she hesitated on the periphery. Maybe she should come back at another time? But he glanced up and offered her a smile. She returned it before she dropped her eyes and stepped in at his instruction, moving to stand in front of his desk, hands neatly folded over her waist. "I..." She hesitated, trying to get the words right, "I thought I should update you domine, I managed to find your-" she corrected herself, "Wulfric. Our guest from dinner. I thought you might be interested in what he had to say but if you are busy, I can find another time." Because I really need to work out how to tell you that I've learned absolutely nothing, and ruined my chances of finding out anymore. 

TAG: @Atrice

• Like 1

Sweet Charis entered the tablinum quietly, with her eyes dropped and her hands neatly folded. She was almost too good now. He thought about how annoying it had been back when she was more outspoken, but on the other hand, that's part of what made her interesting. Not that she wasn't interesting now. She was still very young, she was the mother of his son, she was still beautiful to look at. Those were good qualities in her. And he also thought they got along well now, which was definitely also a good thing. He hoped it was for real, that she did truly tolerate him now and it wasn't just all a game again.

She then explained she would update him on Wulfric. Oh? Interesting! He leaned back in his chair, watching her as she began talking, although it almost sounded like she'd prefer to not talk at all. What had happened? What had he said? Her words just made him even more curious! 

"Oh I'm not really busy. Please... take a seat. And tell me." Tertius gestured to the chair on the other side of the desk and then decided to add, "You can look at me while we're talking." Because it would be weird having this conversation if she wasn't looking at him. Why did she seem almost nervous? Or not nervous, just... careful? Hopefully Wulfric hadn't touched her or done anything to her. If he had, Tertius would have to teach him a lesson somehow. He hoped that would not be necessary. 

@Sara

• Like 1

Charis dutifully did as she was bidden and stepped further into the space, moving to take a seat opposite his desk. As he allowed her to look up she hesitated, a sigh falling from her lips. After a beat she finally flicked her eyes up, blue eyes meeting blue and sat back a little in the chair. Where to start? He seemed almost...excited and she wondered how long that would last. 

"I went to the warehouse, where he works. It wasn't hard to find him - I asked some of the market sellers if they knew a new, Germanic supplier. They pointed me in the direction quite quickly." And that was the last smooth part of the afternoon. She winced and then shook her head, a weak smile on her face as she met his gaze; "I'm sorry domine, I tried my best but...it did not go well." She fidgeted a little in the seat, still finding his gaze and his presence and authority discomfiting. "He repeated that he was just here to get to know his family, not for money, not for anything and...when I pressed him he got suspicious. Said that you had sent me and he asked me to leave." She gave him an almost apologetic look, "I...am not sure if I believe him or not but we left it badly. I...don't think I'll get another chance to ask him." 

• Like 1

He didn't feel excited, or he didn't think so. Just very curious! He was certain that Wulfric would react better to Charis than to Tertius, and he knew they'd talked a few times before, when Wulfric came here. So he was curious about finding out, what Charis and Wulfric talked about. He invited her in to sit down and allowed her to look at him too. She sighed, seeming... unhappy with the situation and then she met his eyes. Something was off here, that was for sure. But what? Why? Tertius waited though and she began talking. Explaining how easy it had been to find him and she met his eyes again with a faint smile. And then she finally revealed that it didn't go well. But he thought Wulfric liked her! Or at least, that he didn't dislike her. He made a gesture to tell her to go on with the story, and she did, although she seemed very uncomfortable. As if she had done something wrong.

Apparently Wulfric had become suspicious of why she was there. And he guessed it too. She was halfway sent by Tertius anyway, and halfway it was her own idea. But it was one she'd shared with Tertius and they had agreed on it. This wasn't just on her, he knew that. Charis then said they left it badly and she wasn't sure she'd get another chance to speak to him. 

There was a pause, as Tertius was thinking about everything she told him.

"So he told you the same thing he told me... that he's not here for anything but knowing his family. That still is strange, isn't it?" He thought it was strange. Should she go back to Wulfric? Maybe if he was left alone, if Tertius ignored him, he'd not return to his house. And eventually he'd leave Rome. With nothing. Which was honestly how Tertius preferred it. Wulfric was a problem. Most easily fixed by not fixing anything at all, he thought. But Charis spoke to him, maybe she had an opinion on the matter?

"Do you... want to try and speak to him again? Or... would it be best to just leave him be?" Tertius asked her then and since he didn't want to put words into her mouth or wanted her to say what she thought he wanted to hear... "You know you can be honest. This is something we do together." 

@Sara

• Like 1

Charis nodded. It was strange, and her conversation with Wulfric hadn't made it any less so in her mind. He had seemed so earnest, and so insulted by the suggestion that he should be here for a purpose but...why would he travel half way through the world just to meet a man that had slept with his mother and then left? It made no sense to her. She tried to imagine what she would do in a similar situation and couldn't picture it. She would surely be angry? Angry that her mother had been used and abandoned? Angry that the man had never even bothered to write or send word? Wulfric's motivations just...didn't make sense to her. 

She kept her eyes on his face as he pondered their next move. For a moment she couldn't quite believe he was actually asking her opinion...when was the last time he had done that? She opened her mouth to speak but he cut her off, telling her to be honest. The ghost of a smile drifted on her lips. Together. What an odd concept for them both. "I...think I should leave him be. He...doesn't seem like he would listen to me, he doesn't believe me. I don't know if Teutus has more connections with him, that could be another way I suppose..." Although whether Teutus would agree to help was another matter. "I'm sorry domine," She winced and dropped her eyes out of habit. "I should have been more careful but..." Unlike you, she thought to herself, "He read my intentions so easily. Within moments." it was immensely frustrating and after a sigh, she flicked her eyes up again. 

"What will you do?" 

• Like 1

She agreed that the reasons Wulfric claimed that he had come for, were strange. So even though she talked to Wulfric, she still did not think he was being honest and that there was something completely off about him. Tertius thought about how to fix it all and deemed that maybe the easiest way to fix the issue with Wulfric, was to not do anything at all. Just leave him before. Don't contact him, don't do anything but ignore him. Then hopefully he'd realize that he had no place in Rome or in the Varus family and he'd go back to where he came from. And life in Rome would go on just fine without him. It wasn't like Tertius didn't have enough problems without Wulfric, after all! 

Tertius chose then to ask for Charis' opinion on the matter. She spoke to Wulfric, after all. She seemed surprised, but smiled as he said they did this together. And then she voiced her honest opinion, it seemed. That she didn't think it would do anything good to talk to Wulfric, for he would not listen to her or believe her. She mused that Teutus could talk to him, but Tertius was not sure he thought that a good idea. Despite that Teutus only met Wulfric on that night with the dinner, it wasn't Wulfric that Teutus had been angry at. It was Tertius. And if Teutus and Wulfric got along and became friends, the problem would not go away. Wulfric would not be completely gone from his life. Charis spoke up again, apologizing for what happened with her and Wulfric and said he read her intentions easily. Well, he was Tertius son, clearly. But not one he wanted. He couldn't be angry with Charis for something Wulfric did.

"It's not your fault." He began, because Wulfric's cleverness was not something that had to do with Charis. He could not be angry with her for something Wulfric did. "What I most want to do, is leave him be, completely. Maybe he'll give up and leave Rome and never return." Tertius said, "Do you think that's something he would do?" 

@Sara

• Like 1

Charis sighed and met his eyes as he said it wasn't her fault. She was expecting some portion of blame, and when there was none she found herself frowning. This was not the Tertius she had been expecting but...that was the root problem, she could never tell which Tertius she'd get that day given his moods changed like the winds. 

"I'm not sure domine." She said honestly, with a sigh. She moved her fingers to tuck a stray wave of hair behind her ear and glanced around his tablinum. How many times had she been afraid to be summoned in here? And now here she was, sat opposite him, meeting his eyes, in league with him. Perhaps his moods weren't the only things that changed on the wind. Shaking the thoughts from her head, she flicked her eyes back to his face. "He seems very resolute, very determined. It's why he was so cross with me, I think. I tried to say that I think he'd not find what he was looking for, but that didn't seem to matter to him. What if he doesn't leave?" 

• Like 1

She looked at him when he told her that what happened with Wulfric was not her fault. Because it wasn't. Wulfric was clearly a very smart young man, clever even. And why wouldn't he be, as Tertius' son? But Charis was clever too and he trusted her more than he trusted Wulfric. He didn't know his German son and he wasn't sure he wanted to. He was nothing but trouble, showing up like that, claiming he wanted to know his family. But if he would know them, that meant he wanted them to acknowledge him and take him in and that meant Tertius admitting this was his oldest, freeborn son. And that in turn meant giving Wulfric something. Maybe much. He didn't want to give him anything. But he wasn't sure how to deal it all. He had ideas, however... ideas of simply leaving Wulfric alone, ignore him, maybe then he'd get the message and leave. And all would be well again.

But since Charis had talked more with Wulfric than he had, he wanted to hear her thoughts on the matter. She sighed again, saying she wasn't sure Wulfric would leave so easily. Charis said he seemed determined and became cross with her, when she told him he couldn't find what he was looking for in Rome. And smart as she was, she wondered what might happen if he didn't leave.

Now it was Tertius' turn to sigh, "I don't know. I..." He trailed off, feeling a bit frustrated to be honest. He hated not knowing what to do, he hated that someone would take the control from his hands like that. Tertius liked to plan and he liked to be the one deciding how something would happen. But Wulfric took that away from him. It would be easier if he wasn't here. That was taking it too far though. He could ignore Wulfric, refuse to speak to him, but if he didn't leave... wasn't killing him taking it too far? He'd never done that before, not like this. He ran a hand across his face with a tired sound. Not sleepy, just tired of this whole mess.

"I hope we can force him to leave. If he doesn't, we'll find out what to do then. Surely he won't stay if no one here will have anything to do with him?" He hoped that would be the case... he looked at Charis, hoping she had something bright to say on the matter, "What would you do?" 

@Sara

• Like 1

Charis winced as he made a groaning sound, looking about as frustrated as it was possible for a man to look. She almost...pitied him. Much of the mess he found in life was of his own creation, but this couldn't really be pinned on his shoulders. He didn't even know Wulfric existed until that day and now the man threatened the solidity of his plans. She couldn't blame him for feeling frustrated. 

"What would I do?" She repeated, surprise in her voice. He so very rarely asked her opinion on matters that it always shocked her when he did. Usually they were questions on Peregrinus as well, nothing like this. She made a 'hmm' noise, thinking it through. She felt her brain slowly start to clunk into gear - it had been a while since she had...plotted anything. Long ago, back in Britannia she had thought of herself as smart but years in Rome of 'yes, domine' and 'no, domine' had weathered her down. Now she was being asked for her opinion, it took a while to gather her thoughts. 

"I suppose I would speak to Teutus to see if he knows anything. And if he does, I would ask him to stop seeing him." She felt a tinge of guilt for her once-friend, now...guardian? Dominus? Who knew. "If he really doesn't have anybody, and thinks everybody is against him then he'll surely leave. If...that doesn't work then...gold, given to him on the proviso he stays away might work." 

• Like 1

Charis sounded surprised that he wanted her opinion - but really, he did, because he didn't know what to do. It really would be easiest to just pretend Wulfric didn't exist, but what if he stayed here, what if he didn't leave Rome? Charis seemed more familiar with him, more at his level. She might have ideas. And she too wanted what was best for their son, Peregrinus. After some time, she finally suggested to ask Teutus if he knew anything about Wulfric. And tell Teutus to not see him. Tertius nodded, that was a good addition to the plan of ignoring him and forcing him to leave. But then Charis added another suggestion.

"I don't want to give him gold. Give him something, he'll want more. Or he'll come back for more." Tertius said, "I don't trust him or his intentions." He added, "But it is a good idea to tell Teutus to not have any contact with Wulfric. If he stays here, it won't be because of us. It'll be out of our hands." He added and poured a little watered wine for himself. Then he called for Hector - always nearby and hopefully not eavesdropping. His body slave gave Charis a look, but went to fetch another cup when Tertius asked him to. He soon returned and poured a cup of wine for Charis too, before he was dismissed. No doubt not pleased with serving a fellow slave. But Tertius didn't care. Hector wasn't as interesting as he had been. Charis was the mother of his son. Should he invite her to his bed again? That would put an end to how it had all been, since she tried to kill herself. Mark a new beginning... for both of them.

"I'm pleased that you are so good to me. I think... we are friendly again, are we not?" Tertius then asked, trying to find out just how she would feel about the whole thing. Maybe he really was growing old and soft.

@Sara

• Like 1

Charis nodded. Perhaps the gold was a poor idea, but he took her advice on Teutus, which wa something. She affirmed with a light smile. "It will be out of our hands, domine." Our hands. As if they were in this together...which she supposed they were. How odd it felt! How odd and uncomfortable. She felt a knot of guilt tighten in her chest; there had been days, really not so long ago, that she had cursed him to a life of endless pain. She had hated him. Some part of her still did, but now they were in league. She didn't think she'd ever understand it and nor would her friends; she could only imagine what Cynane would think. The knot tightened even further. 

Hector's arrival signalled a distraction though and she didn't miss his look. Things had become even more strained as of late. She had seen him, loitering outside her rooms or in them when Peregrinus was napping. It disturbed her, but when pressed he merely gave that irritating, impish smile and shrugged his shoulders before flouncing off. She had no proof of any ill-intent to take to Tertius, but she could feel something brewing. By the way he passed her the cup of wine, she reckoned it was getting worse. Nonetheless, she took it, clutching the cup in her fingers. She didn't take a sip until he had taken one of his own and added, quietly; "Thank you, domine." 

She kept her eyes on her wine as he spoke again, but she could almost hear the smile in his voice...and the contemplation. She knew this day was coming. Whilst Tertius was - by and large - impossible to read, he did have moments of clarity occasionally where his intentions were plain. This was one such moment. She steeled herself and then nodded, lightly. "Yes domine. You have been very good to me, and Peregrinus. I am...grateful." That was not a lie; she was. She had more freedoms than she had before her pregnancy and her son had everything he might want. It was more than she had been expecting...but it made her question what he wanted in return. "I'm glad you are pleased with me." She added, for good measure. 

• Like 1

Tertius deemed they’d come to a good conclusion on the whole very difficult issue that was named Wulfric. So very difficult. But ignoring his German son might be the only way to solve this. He really didn’t want to pay Wulfric to stay away, because what if he came back, asking for more? But speaking to Teutus on the matter was a better idea.

He’d then poured wine for himself and decided Charis should have some too, so Hector was briefly invited in to serve them both… although especially Charis, since Tertius had already poured his own wine. But she needed a cup. Tertius did notice the looks the slaves gave each other. His body slave and Charis, who had been his bed slave. Then Hector had been invited back, after her attempted suicide, where Peregrinus might also have perished. Thank the gods it didn’t happen! He adored his young son. And the mother, to be honest.

Charis thanked him and he attempted again to test the waters, to see how they were. Why did it feel so awkward, speaking to her like this? It wasn’t just because she was his slave, surely? They had a child together now. She was more than just another slave in the household. The mother of his son, the first female slave of his own house that he took to his bed, since Varinia. And that was a very long time ago now. She nodded at his words, said he’d been good to her. And was glad he was pleased with her.

“Of course I am. I couldn’t ask for a… better mother for our son.” He then said, “I have been considering something, with you. I feel that we have come to a good place, together. With each other.” He paused, trying to figure out her reaction along the way, “I don’t want to take you away from Peregrinus. He does need his mother. But I would like to spend more time with you.” It wasn't really an order, it was more a wish. A hope, perhaps? That she wouldn't mind such a thing. They were parents together, after all. They could be more, again.

@Sara

Edited by Atrice
  • Like 1

Charis listened as any dutiful slave should to her master, but she kept her eyes carefully on his face, given that he'd given her permission to look at him - a rarity in itself. Spend more time with you. She wondered - bitterly - in her head whether he really had a care to spend more time with her clothed and talking, or whether he only wished for a bedmate. She suspected it was the latter, firmly, but she didn't know which was better, but judging by the tone of his voice and the way he paused as if trying to gauge her reaction, this wasn't the same as the last time...the last two times she had been taken to his bed. Then it had been about power, that much was obvious. This time...she didn't know. Nonetheless she kept her face neutral besides the small, coy smile on her lips that she knew he liked. 

She really had no recourse to say no. He might have thought he was giving her a choice, but he was in reality stating a demand that she couldn't refuse. If he wanted to spend more time with her then he would. The few occasions when she had crossed him or declined him his advances had ended with her either forced into his bed or locked in her rooms. He was framing it as an offering, but it wasn't and she was careful enough to know that now. She couldn't help the pit of her stomach drop at the thought of taking back up the position of his bed slave. She thought he had lost interest after her pregnancy, but clearly not. She was still young and pretty and youthful and had given him his heir; she supposed that was a powerful thing. 

All of these thoughts careened through her head in only a brief moment of silence before she smiled slightly, eyes flicking down to his desk as she nodded. What choice did she have? Not only due to his position but for herself. Peregrinus was free but she was not. As far as she could tell the only slave he had freed, or the only one she knew about, was Teutus. She needed to be close to him to earn that privilege; there was no other way. What better way to be close to him than in his bed? If she and her son were both free she'd have legal recourse to remove him from this house. Or she could at least try too. "I would like that domine." She sipped her wine slowly. "Peregrinus is growing up and whilst I'm busy with him in the days, I am...more free during the afternoons and the nights. I..." she had to be cautious and so she was, choosing her words carefully but seeming effortless; "I miss you teaching me to read and...our conversations, and..." She trailed of, leaving the end of a thread for him to pull although her inference was quite clear. She blushed and sipped her wine. Charis really had become an accomplished actress since she'd been in Rome.

• Like 1

Since he’d given her permission to look at him, she did. It was a new experience, kind of, that she didn’t cast her eyes down, but on the other hand, it was nice talking to her, face to face like they did now. Charis was still a slave. But since she had his son and they spent time together because of Peregrinus, it was like it had shifted. At least it felt like it, to him. She was his slave. But more at his level than before. So he carefully requested they spend more time together.

It didn’t take long before she gave him a slight smile and looked down for a moment. As if she was unsure about what to say to that. Didn’t she agree with him? Was it not true that their relationship had improved, and only to the better? Would it be so wrong, if they were to become closer once more.

Then she said she’d like to spend more time with him, and she had free time during the afternoons and the nights. She said she missed several things with him and he nodded.

“I do too, actually. Maybe to begin with, we should pick up on the lessons. Unless you think you’ve learned enough already?” Tertius wondered, looking at her, trying to figure out if she really meant it all. He was quite certain she didn’t mind learning how to read and write properly. And the conversations were good too. But could he trust her on the third thing she barely mentioned? It was difficult. He liked her, he’d always liked her, but she’d betrayed him more than once. It was so hard to redeem his trust in her. He thought he had it. Then she poisoned herself and if she’d succeeded, Peregrinus would not be here. The lessons were definitely a good place to start. Instead of rushing into something they might both regret.

@Sara

• Like 1

Was this a trick? Charis couldn't be sure but she nonetheless smiled brightly, a small laugh leaving her lips. "I would enjoy that and no," She shook her head, "I have so much to learn, I know. I saw my name...or at least, I think it was my name on one of the walls by the popina at the end of the street...but I couldn't figure out the other words." She was sure she also saw 'Varus' and 'Alexius' across several of the walls of the city.

Taking another delicate sip of the wine she fiddled with the base of the cup, her fingers skirting over the ornate pattern. She didn't quite know what else to say. She had been suspecting a conversation of this sort would be coming, but now it was here it had caught her off guard. She certainly never imagined that he'd ask for her opinion on the matter. But he was right, things had shifted between them since she'd given him his son and his heir. He could no longer think of her as just a slave, surely, when his fortune would be inherited by the baby she had carried for nine months, laboured to deliver, raised in his household. Glancing up at him cautiously, she met his gaze with an even look of her own. "I would never have imagined things would turn out like this," She said in a fit of honesty because...what else was there to say? "The day you saw me in that cage, in the marketplace. I...never could have pictured this. Could you, domine?" 

Edited by Sara
  • Like 1

She smiled and laughed when he suggested picking up the lessons again, saying she'd enjoy it. When had she last laughed like that in his company? She seemed happy about this. Tertius couldn't help but smile when she reacted like that. Then she began saying how much she had to learn, and she spoke of names on the walls. Tertius arched a brow, "There are many names on those walls. Most of it is gossip, nothing more." Tertius replied, he'd seen his name too a few times and he wasn't entirely fond of what it said. But he tried to not take it too personally. As he said, it was gossip. "I was hoping you'd use your new skills for more useful things." He then added, but with a smile, he wasn't telling her off, just saying there were other and better things you could read. 

Tertius sipped his wine as she did too, silence falling between them for a few moments. Until she looked up, meeting his eyes and saying how none of them had imagined that things would turn out like this, when they first met. 

"I couldn't." Tertius said, "I just needed a new slave. And my eyes fell on you. I'd never have guessed that you would give me another son." Tertius said, there was a softness to his gaze, the words were on the tip of his tongue, but he didn't speak them. How he'd never have guessed that he'd become so fond of her. That she would get under his skin the way few had done before her. There had been Varinia, in his young days. But his father had been displeased with her pregnancy and after that, Tertius stopped taking the female slaves to his bed. Eventually, when Teutus was old enough, his father even sold Varinia. Ten years ago, he had the lovely body slave Anteros, whom he grew a little too fond of too. Tertius ended up selling him. And now there was Charis... but he wouldn't let go of her. Not when she was the mother of his son and he enjoyed her company. For this time, he could decide what happened. 

@Sara

Edited by Atrice
  • Like 1

She saw the slight tension but it dissipated quickly. She offered a small smile back in response to his own. "What useful things would they be, domine?" It wasn't as if she could teach Peregrinus to read, but she recalled before everything had changed that she had helped him in his study; learning the words associated with the kitchens and the other slaves. It had been slow going but useful. 

His gaze was soft, and he looked almost...vulnerable. It was a side to Tertius she so rarely saw that when she did it confounded her. How could a man as earnest as this be so cruel? So confusing? So cold? He seemed a man of so many personalities. What she had once thought was usual for the Romans, she now realised was just...Tertius and his complexities. No wonder he had climbed so high in politics, nobody else could get a read on him most probably. 

"I..." She swallowed, shifting uncomfortably in her seat. "I know I was not happy when I fell with child," She flicked her eyes up to his, unwilling to be shamed for the decision she had made - even if it hadn't worked, "But I do love Peregrinus with every single inch of me. I...can't imagine a life without him." She had changed overnight when he had been born. Her life didn't matter, not so much anyway, now she had him to worry about. "Although in some ways I feel like I've only just recovered," She chuckled, "He's only now beginning to sleep better I don't think I want any more for a while." She realised the mistake as soon as she said it and her face fell slightly. Like all things, that wasn't her choice or decision to make. But surely he didn't want another child with a slave? Surely...?

• Like 1

She didn’t know which useful things she could read, that weren’t written on the walls of Rome? “Things like… something that interests you. Gardens and greenery, for example. If you learn it well enough, I could take you to a library sometime.” Tertius suggested, that was a good idea. And he’d have to make sure she read something useful to her and not material like poetry or useless romantic stories.

Then Charis suddenly mentioned how none of them could have imagined this conversation, and all that had happened between them, when he first bought her to his household. And he could indeed never have guessed, but here they were, parents together and they had come very far. He could easily agree with that. There had been ups and downs. Now might be another up? Tertius said he’d never have guessed she’d give him another son, thinking about another son added to those he had. But she heard it differently.

Suddenly she seemed uncomfortable, speaking of how she loved Peregrinus and how he’d only now begun sleeping better. Tertius was unsure of why she said those things? Didn’t she just say she had more time in the evenings and nights again? Then it dawned on him. She misread his words!

“I don’t think I need more sons either, now.” He said with a smile, “Did you think that’s what I meant? I have three! I didn’t expect any of them!” Least of all Wulfric! “And I have Antonia, who will soon be ready to find a husband of her own. So all I want, besides that, is… someone nice to spend time with.”

@Sara

• Haha 1

Charis felt herself exhale and flicked her blue eyes to his. He seemed almost relaxed. Amused. It occurred to her in that moment that they were both being stupendously naive, but she chose to ignore it. She was being naive because much as she said she didn't want another child so soon, she did want more in the future. She wanted a family. A proper family, with a man she loved and a home. None of that was possible whilst in the power of the man that across from her. And he was being naive because should he ever wish for more than conversation with her, the risk of pregnancy would not go away. She was young and obviously fertile, as was he. A child would happen, only now she'd know he didn't want it. 

"I can be that person, domine. If you want me to be." She said with a small, almost embarrassed smile that was as false as Hector's pleasantries but it was convincing. She didn't want to be his friend; a friend to a lonely man who had nobody else but if it meant security and safety fro herself and her relationship with her son, she would take it. Besides, when he was in these sorts of moods, he wasn't intolerable. It was just beyond frustrating that she never knew exactly what sort of mood he would be in. "We...could start right now." She smiled again, trying to gain confidence after so many months - years, really - having him knock it back. "We could talk about anything." She looked around the room for inspiration and her eyes fell on his desk, "We could speak about your work, if you like, domine?" She was really trying here.

• Like 1

Would he want more children? He had four, now. One son he had before he even knew what it meant to be a father, one son he didn’t mean to have at all and didn’t know about until recently, one daughter actually born within wedlock and one son he didn’t expect, but had acknowledged as his own from the start. He had not considered more children. Then he ought to have a wife, but did he want a wife? Wasn’t it a bit late? Unless someone made the right offer and it made sense, but it would be more for political reasons than for anything else, he imagined. He didn’t currently feel a need to have a wife. Just pleasant company. Maybe just Charis.

She said she could be that person, giving him a small smile and then suggested they could start now and talk about anything. Charis surprised him, he hadn’t expected her to respond like this. But maybe they really had come to a good place, together. She sprung another surprise on him, when she wanted to hear about his work.

“You want to speak about my work? I fear it might be very dull to you.” Tertius replied, the work a praetor did wasn’t always the most exciting in the world and certainly not to a woman. But she did want to hear, didn’t she?

“I think I have told you a little before. On certain occasions, I function as a kind of judge and administer the law in the city. That’s why we don’t leave Rome so often. I have to be here and can’t leave for long if I do leave.” Tertius explained, “It is a highly ranked office here in Rome.” He then added with a smile, he never wanted to climb higher, as he was quite content with where he sat. He wasn’t sure Charis understood how highly ranked the office actually was – how much power her owner did hold in his hands. But she was curious, at least… “Is there anything in particular you’re curious about?”

@Sara

• Like 1

That made sense and fitted with what he'd told her before, in snatched moments of conversation. She knew he was important - she saw it in the faces of the people that visited the domus, but she supposed she didn't realise quite how important. The social structure of the Romans made no sense to her. Why did they need so many titles? And jobs? And career paths? It wasn't done at her home, not in the same sense anyway. Of course they had a chief, but...beyond that and his warriors, it all flowed down. She wondered if there was an equivalent to Praetor that she just hadn't thought of. 

"No," She shook her head with a slight smile. "I just...you work so much, I thought you might wish to talk about it. It must be a burden." Her father used to complain about how busy he was to her mother for hours at a time, as did the male slaves in the domus. It seemed a fact across the ages that men liked to complain to their women about their stresses, not realising that women themselves had them in equal measure and just...suffered through them quietly. It was amusing, in a dark sort of way. "I suppose I don't know what we should talk about." She chuckled, a little embarrassed. Beyond Peregrinus, they really didn't have anything in common, did they?

• Like 1

Charis sat and listened quietly, while he tried to tell her a bit about what he did. What his job was. But he still wasn't sure she'd find it interesting to learn about it, since she probably didn't understand much. At least she asked though, which was something. That wasn't quite what he thought though, when he said he wanted to spend time with her. It was one thing to sit here and talk about such things. But he'd rather experience things with her by his side. When he was done talking, he wondered if there was anything in particular she wanted to know about, but there wasn't. She pointed out that he worked a lot and how it must be a burden.

"It can be, sometimes. But I'm far from inexperienced by now." He knew what he was doing and it suited him well. A Praetor had a lot of power, but not the most power in Rome. Which meant he got to control a lot of matters and that's what he liked doing. Sometimes it felt like the Roman citizens in general were easier to control than his own household. Charis wasn't sure what else to talk about now and he gave her a smile.

"Maybe there is nothing more, right now. But we will pick up the lessons again. I'll look at my plans for the near future and fit you in." Tertius promised, "And then we will figure out if there is more to do." He added. There was a lot to think about after today. Both about Wulfric. And Charis.

@Sara

• Thanks 1