Another Time Then [M - V]

Sara

"I should have guessed you'd like the people - you seem like the sort of lady that people like in return, too," he told her. "And you're right, I'm not from Italia. I'm from Sarmatia, originally - that's a long way north and east of here."

He was trying not to jostle her too much, and knew he had to be as fast getting her home as he could, yet he needed to be sure of his footing.

"You like parties - I think you were at the one at the palace recently. Did you see the fire-eaters there?"

@Sara

• Like 1

"S-Sarmatia." She murmured tiredly, a frown creasing her brow against his chest. "Where is that?" She knew the famous provinces, but hadn't heard of that one. Was it even in the Empire? 

She mewled in pain as he accidentally misstepped but tried his best to recover. She was so tired. She wanted this to end. 

"Y-yes I did. I..." She swallowed thinking of that night, upset welling up in her chest. What if her friends found out? What if..."Are we nearly there?" She choked, tears spilling over her cheeks. "I can't...Why did this happen..." 

TAG: @Sharpie

• Like 1

"It's outside the Empire, it shares a border with the province of Pannonia," he said. "Very nearly there, stay with me. And it happened because... because there's an evil man roaming the streets who likes to hurt people and he found you. It isn't your fault, you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, that's all."

She probably blamed herself, Tabiti knew plenty of other people would blame her, but she wasn't the one who'd done this to herself.

"Is this the right bakery?" he asked, pausing for a moment to let her lift her head and take a look at their surroundings.

@Sara

• Like 1

"Pannonia..." She mumbled against his chest, trying to distract herself from his placating words. Where on the Gods earth was Pannonia? 

She didn't believe him. He could have placated her until the pigs in the villa's gardens flew, but she wouldn't believe him. She should not have been outside with only one female slave. She should not have been so pliant. She should not have offered up her own belt as a restraint. It would have - she figured - been better to die trying to escape than suffer the indignity of what he did and might have done had she not fainted. She supposed that was one small mercy; she still had her virtue intact, although if people found out about the attack she supposed few would believe she did. 

She groaned as he came to a stop and glanced up. Torches hung from brackets were momentarily blinding and it took longer than usual for her eyes to focus on the painted picture of an elephant that adorned the baker. She nodded. "Up the hill," She swallowed and settled back down against his chest. "Four...five doors up, it's yellow and red with a green door." 

Just get me home. 

• Like 1

"A long way north and east of here," he repeated automatically. "Yellow and red with a green door," he said. That should be easy enough to find - and was.

He had to put her down so he could bang on the door, though he kept his other arm around her, trying his best not to jostle her too much and make the pain worse. The hammering finally brought someone - of course it was Saturnalia and the ostiarius was not at his post.

"She's been hurt, she needs a medicus," he told the person who finally slid the ostiarius' spy-hole open.

@Sara

• Like 1

Ovinia groaned through her teeth as she was set down. It appeared she had forgotten how to use her legs and was grateful for his arm around her waist, keeping her upright. She weaved on the spot, blinking dark spots from her eyes and trying not to cry out. It seemed like forever before the door clunked open and a harried looking slave, one of her fathers litter bearers, peered out confused. 

"We don't take charity." The man said, peering at her. Ovinia met his gaze as best she could and opened her mouth to speak but the realisation finally dawned on the man so it was unnecessary. "Do...Domina? Domina!" He hurried forward to grip her and she moaned in pain. 

"Xanthos! Fetch the dominus and the medicus!" The man gave a confused and concerned look to Jason but Ovinia, with all her strength, gripped his arm. She managed to breathe "Thank you." to hip before she was swept up in the new slave's arms, crying as his arms jostled the wound on her back. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Ovinia was transferred quickly from Jason to the other slave, though the motion made her moan. "Careful," he said. "Some bastard cut her, with a knife."

Another slave pushed past him, obviously going to fetch the master and a medicus, and the door was shut firmly in his face, though not before he heard whisper Ovinia whisper 'thank you' and returned it with a worried smile and "Any time, Domina!"

And then he was left in the street without his cloak, which was still wrapped around Ovinia, and with his tunic streaked with blood that wasn't his own. What a state to have to return home in - he could only hope that his master wouldn't be too angry with him for losing his cloak and probably ruining his tunic. If the blood didn't come out, anyway.

"I hope you get better soon," he said to the closed door, before turning to head back up to the Palatine. If he found the monster who'd hurt Ovinia (and Azarion, and killed Azarion's friend), he would have to be physically restrained from killing him, slowly.

@Sara - thank you!!

• Thanks 1