Party People

Sara

"Well-behaved slaves get privileges, one of which might have been the use of a bow as a spectacle."

Azarion rolled his eyes. He was better behaved now than he'd ever been before - mostly because his master was not a complete moron. But no one in their right mind was ever going to give a slave in Rome an actual weapon they could kill with. Especially if they found out he was good with it...

The woman nodded towards one of the many wealthy men standing around.

"One of those is Lunaris. One of the wealthiest men in the senate and not a clue how to spend it." 

Azarion quirked an eyebrow. And?

"Come here. Put on a show for him, you'll be walking out of here with a sponsor or two. Trust me." 

Trust her? To do what? What kind of a show...? Whatever. He drained his cup, then took her hand offered to get off the floor, and take the seat next to her on the couch. He looked at her curiously. Now what?

@Sara

• Like 1

Wrapping her hand around his she pulled him up and then let out a flirtatious giggle loud enough for others to hear. They were spared a couple of glances by intrigued men. 

"We get people's attention..." She said, pre-empting his curious look. "What do men hate?" She didn't really wait for a response before draping an arm around his neck, her fingers moving to stroke the side of his face very softly. "When other men have what they want...and what do they do about it?" She quirked an eyebrow and then let out another laugh, draping her leg up closer to his. "They try and one-up each other." She gave him a sly smile and then her voice grew a little louder and a lot more flirtatious, "Oh you're so brave! Oh my Gods...you are..." She giggled and draped her other arm on his chest. She flicked her eyes up to see the men had quieted their conversation and were looking their way. Perfect. She lowered her voice to Azarion, "You see? They're going to come over here and try and steal my company but I'll stay here with you. What will they do to get me  to leave...? Flatter the company I'm so clearly enjoying." 

She shifted her leg higher up, closer to his. Play along. 

TAG: @Chevi

• Like 1

The woman giggled as she pulled him up. Azarion was now seated next to her on the couch, and she was... putting on a show. He was just not sure what kind. But it was still better it involved her than any of the patrons.

"We get people's attention... What do men hate?"

Not knowing what's happening?

She wrapped an arm around his shoulder. Well, this was a first.

"When other men have what they want...and what do they do about it?"

Come over and throw me out?

The leg was distracting. Azarion kept his eyes on the woman, and his eyes were slightly wide now, since he had never been... in any scenario like this before.

"They try and one-up each other... Oh you're so brave! Oh my Gods...you are..."

Incredibly distracted, yup

"You see?"

No?

"They're going to come over here and try and steal my company but I'll stay here with you. What will they do to get me  to leave...? Flatter the company I'm so clearly enjoying." 

Azarion was not sure what to do. What was she pretending to enjoy, exactly? He was clearly not a conversation partner. And now his hands were occupied too, one around her waist, and the other one... um. He was trying to find a place for that. And not look towards the men who were supposed to come over and... flatter him?

@Sara

• Haha 2

She grinned as he placed a hand on her waist. He didn't seem dumb as well as mute, but he was certainly acting it now. "You can pretend to enjoy it, if you like." She added in a hushed whisper before laughing louder, flicking her hair over her shoulder, revealing the curve of her chest more visibly to the men who were most definitely looking over. 

"Stop it you're so..." she giggled just as somebody else sidled into view. Not the fish she wanted. She refrained from making a face. This Senator was portly, firmly the other side of middle age and looking like he'd just seen the prize ham in the shop. Dammit. 

"My lady, you are so ravishing I couldn't help but come over and seek you out and rescue you..." 

Vibia blinked, acting dump, draping her arm tighter around Azarion's shoulder. "Rescue me? From the white's newest, bravest charioteer? Oh you're so kind Senator but I'm quite alright and quite enjoying my company." She giggled again and shot Azarion a lovestruck look, fingers lacing through his hair. 

The man pursed his lips, glowering at Azarion. Vibia nudged him with his leg before realising he couldn't actually say anything...

• Haha 2

"You can pretend to enjoy it, if you like." 

He didn't need to pretend that much. The woman smiled and flipped her hair, and Azarion had a great view right down the front of her dress. And he might have been sarcastic and jaded, but he was still a young man who had never, ever been this close to an attractive woman before.

"Stop it you're so..." 

So deep in your cleavage it's not even funny

His other hand finally settled on her knee, although he was still not sure what he was supposed to be pretending he was doing. But at least someone came over. That was the plan, right?

Now, who was this pudgy old moron again?...

"My lady, you are so ravishing I couldn't help but come over and seek you out and rescue you..." 

"Rescue me? From the white's newest, bravest charioteer? Oh you're so kind Senator but I'm quite alright and quite enjoying my company." 

The woman clung to him. Azarion felt the glare of the man on his skin. It had to piss him off, a woman like her clinging to someone... like him. Her fingers were in his hair, though, which was also... a lot. He felt her nudge him with her leg. What was he supposed to do?...

@Sara

• Haha 2

Oh shit. Shit, shit, shit. The dolt couldn't speak. He gave her an inquiring look and she smothered a grimace with another giggle and a look of utterly fake sadness up at the Senator. "The poor man lost his tongue," She clung to him tighter, the strap of her chiton falling down her arm. Purposefully. She nudged him again, play along. "A horrible accident on the road to Rome - he was saving some sweet Patrician girl's life, her horse bolted and he stood in the way, his jaw was..." She sniffled, pretending she couldn't go on. "But now he's doing things for the good of the city, racing for the..." She looked down, she hadn't even asked him what faction he raced for, "The whites. He's just so brave..." She turned her attention completely from the man to Azarion, bright blue eyes watching his face as her fingers stroked down his jaw. 

The other man huffed, annoyed and she heard other male voices. The portly Senator recounted her tale of woe to the others that had joined. Including Lunaris...who...laughed. Well. That wasn't the plan. 

"Come on love," He held a hand out for Vibia expectantly, "The kid obviously just had it cut out and was a cheap buy for the Whites. Come here..." He took hold of her thigh but Vibia shook him off. "I'm quite happy here with Azarion, and slander isn't popular gentlemen...how I wish the men of Rome were all as brave as him..." She turned her face away from them, back to Azarion and cast him a discrete wink.

• Haha 2

"The poor man lost his tongue,"

The poor man was lost in a whole different dimension somewhere between her shoulder and her breasts.

"A horrible accident on the road to Rome - he was saving some sweet Patrician girl's life, her horse bolted and he stood in the way, his jaw was... But now he's doing things for the good of the city, racing for the... The whites. He's just so brave..." 

... wait what now?

Azarion stared at the woman, half stunned by the ridiculous lie she had just made up. Would anyone ever believe he'd... any of that?

She stroked her fingers along his (very much not maimed) jaw. It felt good.

"Come on love. The kid obviously just had it cut out and was a cheap buy for the Whites. Come here..."

Asshole.

"I'm quite happy here with Azarion, and slander isn't popular gentlemen...how I wish the men of Rome were all as brave as him..." 

Well, this was not going as well as she'd thought. None of these men were going to flatter him, fake hero or otherwise. The woman winked at him, and Azarion's pride rose from the ashes. All these idiots wanted her. And she was putting on a show... but she was trying to help him. And he was not a cheap buy.

Azarion winked back. He reached up, hooking a finger into the front of her dress, and adjusted it slightly, pulling on it, before he got up from the couch. He could hear the men snickering, concluding he gave up his place, as expected. He walked away from them, but glanced back az the woman, giving her a slight nod. Stay.

The table on the other side of the room was laden with food and drinks; large, heavy clusters of sweet grapes among them. Reaching it, Azarion picked a grape, then turned, looking at the woman across the room, and whistled. 

As they turned to look, the took aim. Bow and arrows were out if his reach, probably for the rest of his life, but he was still good at aiming. The grape landed right where it was supposed to: in the blonde woman's cleavage.

Azarion spread his arms in an inviting motion and a polite smile. Do it after me, dickheads.

@Sara

• Haha 2

She let him tug on her chiton. At least he was finally getting some action, but then he stood and she blinked. She nodded at his instruction as the men around them guffawed and laughed - one immediately taking Azarion's place on the couch, slinking an arm around her shoulders and doing a much worse job than the slave. She heard the whistle and looked up just as the grape flew over some party goers heads. She felt it before she realised where it had landed and blinked down. He was a genius. A simultaneous advertisement for her breasts, and his skill.

She jumped up, involving herself in the act almost immediately, plucking the grape from her cleavage and clapping vigorously; "You see, gentlemen? A true hero and a good shot at that." She grinned a beaming smile and gestured for him to join them again. She was not going to watch as the others attempted to emulate him. She didn't want a grape in her eye, nor did she want Azarion to show them up so obviously. 

Slowly, she fiddled with the grape in her fingers before a wink to Lunaris, tossed it into her mouth. "So you see, gentlemen, I can't be pried away from my handsome charioteer..." She linked arms with Azarion as he rejoined the group, leaning her hips into his. 

"He..." Lunaris cleared his  throat, "He has good taste I'll give him that." 

Vibia quirked an eyebrow expectantly at him. 

"And...it was the Whites you said?" He asked, turning to Azarion. 

• Haha 2

The stunt worked. The woman clapped, some guests made impressed sounds, and he definitely had the attention of the senators now. Azarion popped a grape into his mouth and walked back to the lady. He would have welcomed a contest, but he also understood why she was not a willing target.

"You see, gentlemen? A true hero and a good shot at that. So you see, gentlemen, I can't be pried away from my handsome charioteer..." 

He wrapped an arm around her waist again. He was getting the hang of this. Also, he liked to make the senators choke.

"He... He has good taste I'll give him that." 

I can't believe this is working.

"And...it was the Whites you said?" 

Azarion nodded. For once, the slave tablet would have been useful. In another moment of inspiration, he dipped a finger into the wine cup the lady was holding, tracing crimson letters on the white skin of her forearm. A-Z-A-R-I-O-N. At least he could spell his name easy.

@Sara

• Haha 2

She dutifully held out her arm as he traced the letters. She could read a little, but not wine smudged, dripping liquid. She looked curiously at it and then the Senator who was paying the most interest...and happened to be the wealthiest. 

"Azarion?" Lunaris repeated for confirmation before nodding. He smirked and glanced between Vibia and Azarion again. She flashed a beaming, lovesick smile at the slave. They were almost there... "I'll pay a visit to your stables tomorrow. Be up and ready to impress. And not just with grapes." He smirked and then glanced to Vibia, "Satisfied I've respected your brave charioteer enough?" 

She feigned innocence, blinking; "I hope you don't spend a fortune on my account, but yes...I think a visit would be most appropriate for the hero of the horses, don't you?" The man rolled his eyes. She wondered if he'd been tricked like this before. "Mhm. And what about you? What tricks do you have up your sleeves?" Perfect. He wasn't dreadful to look at, wasn't drunk and was a known good tipper. 

"Oh, more than you'll ever get to see." She giggled and then let out a dramatic sigh, leaning in to kiss Azarion lingeringly on the cheek. "I may have to bid you a farewell, but I'll come to visit you at the stables, ensure our good Senator friend here is treating you well." She dropped her voice to a hushed whisper as Lunaris proceeded to start feeling her up in full view of everybody. Delightful. "Tell...mime to your master you might have one on the ropes. Don't let him wriggle out of it." She gave the little mute a firm look and then pulled back with a smile, finally dropping her arm from him. 

• Haha 1

"Azarion?"

He nodded. At least the man had his name now. And he looked sober enough to maybe remember it.

"I'll pay a visit to your stables tomorrow. Be up and ready to impress. And not just with grapes."

He nodded again, with a polite smile. Well, that was a start. At the races, he could impress a potential sponsor. And he did not need to sleep with them. The woman looked satisfied too. She had her own fish to fry.

"Satisfied I've respected your brave charioteer enough?" 

"I hope you don't spend a fortune on my account, but yes...I think a visit would be most appropriate for the hero of the horses, don't you?"

"Mhm. And what about you? What tricks do you have up your sleeves?" 

"Oh, more than you'll ever get to see."

She was good at this game. Much better than Azarion. He would be grateful to her for a long time, for helping him. Even if she was working the senators for her own gain at the same time. A girl had to eat. She leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. Azarion felt himself blush. Damn this woman.

"I may have to bid you a farewell, but I'll come to visit you at the stables, ensure our good Senator friend here is treating you well."

Would she? Or was this all part of the show? He didn't even know her name... She lowered her voice for a last piece of advice.

"Tell...mime to your master you might have one on the ropes. Don't let him wriggle out of it." 

He nodded, giving her a smile. It was genuine this time, which was a rare sight on his face. She pulled away to join the wealthy senator instead, and Azarion watched them saunter away before going to find some more wine.

These parties were not the worst after all.

@Sara

• Thanks 1