A quick call...

Horatia listened with narrowed eyes as he explained. It was interesting. Not the first man, by any stretch, to consider listening to the advice of women - history was littered with important wives, mothers and daughters lurking in shadows and providing a useful clutch of information, but Tiberius would perhaps be one of the few to solidify their position on the centre stage rather than the wings. She smiled a little ruefully at his question. "More often they discuss their concerns with me. Maidenhood and impending marriage is the most important time in a woman's life." She reminded him. Children naturally came (or they didn't for some poor women), but marriage decided the course of a woman's future in a way children didn't. Men would never understand, she knew that.

Sighing she glanced around her office. How many times had she lamented her inability to participate in male spheres? How many moments of frustration had she shoved down deep inside herself so she didn't dwell on it or breed resentment in her blood? He was offering her something she had wanted for more years than she could count, but it was not as simple as he suggested. She gave him a soft smile and a sigh; "Your offer is very kind. I would be delighted to accept, but," She glanced away from him back to her bookshelves, "I will need to seek my fathers permission. I married Aulus sine manu.Therefore not transferring to his control - rather retaining her position under her own fathers dominion. Marcus Horatius Justinus was a good man - but he was a traditionalist. What he would feel of this endeavour she couldn't predict. "But either way, whatever his answer, I shall be happy to be your friend Tiberius." She added - the meaning lurking under her words; if he says no, you can still seek me out for advice. Just unofficially. "Who else do you have in your concillium?" She asked.

TAG: @Sarah

• Like 1

Maidenhood and impending marriage. Tiberius hadn't thought about it like that - for a man it was just another milestone to arrange in due course - but he supposed that marriage dictated much of a woman's future, so it would be the most important thing in their eyes. That was why he wanted a woman as an advisor. One who understood the various ups and downs of women's lives.

Horatia seemed interested, but not without reservations. "Of course." He replied evenly, tucking that little detail away in his memory. Of course, that was how most Patrician marriages were arranged. She and Aulus just seemed so close. "Either way, I would appreciate your friendship, and gladly return it." That in itself was valuable. He understood what she meant, that he would have his counsellor, it was just a question of whether or not it was offical. Horatia struck him as a good woman and an intelligent one; Aulus was a fortunate man and the young Imperial could appreciate even more why the Consul had given him the marriage advice that he had.

"It's not a formal arrangement, if that might help sway your father. At least not at this stage. No formal gatherings of my counsellors together." He tried to explain. "Rather I'm looking for... the best word I can find is 'informants', but without the negative implications." He made a small, self-deprecating moue. "My first counsellor is a vigile. I'm hoping that you'll be my second. There is a 'maiden' I'm considering asking, though as you point out she no doubt has important things on her mind at present. And there is a plebian medicus to whom I gave access before I formalised the idea. I may revisit him as well." He was still considering, and keeping an eye out for those with their fingers on the pulse of the peoples.

It was a difficult idea at times, but he felt that Horatia at least might understand.

@Sara

That it wasn't a formal arrangement would help sway her father...potentially. Although he'd likely be more excited at the prospect of a connection to an Imperial rather than the value Horatia could add to such an arrangement. She did quirk her brow though as Tiberius continued to speak. 

"Why would you not wish for your counsellors to gather together? Does one giving you advice on a topic without the others somewhat negate the value of them?" She asked, her eyes narrowed but her face not unkind. Her mind just worked too quickly, sometimes and was already thinking  through flaws and issues with his plan. Considering his breadth of people he wished to recruit, she nodded her head. "It is a good spread. And I'd be pleased not to be the only woman." She glanced down as the child kicked and shifted in her seat to a more comfortable position. But a sly smile drew on her face and she glanced up. "Of course, if you'd be willing  to wait a few months," She tapped her fingers on her bump, "Then the question of asking my fathers permission is moot. This will, if the Gods will it to be healthy, be my third child." And Augustus' laws would grant her the most freedom afforded to a woman should she and the child survive. 

"Out of curiosity, may I ask what sort of issues have been brought up to you thus far?" 

TAG: @Sarah

Why would you not wish for your counsellors to gather together?

It was a good question, a valid question. But for Tiberius there was an easy answer. "Because I do not wish to be seen as trying to usurp Titus Augustus." He said simply. It was all very well for a Patrician to have clients and informants - it was positively expected - but for him to assemble a formal concillium, aping his brother Caesar, could potentially be seen by some as Tiberius trying to grab power for himself. It was power that he did not want, but there would always be those looking to push their own agendas who might see a change in leadership as aligning with those agendas. Tiberius was steadfast in his support of Titus, and he wanted that to be clear above all else. But that didn't mean that he couldn't think for himself or have his own resources.

Then Horatia pointed out that, in a few months, she would no longer need her father's permission. Of course. This was to be her and Aulus's third child. "The Gods will it." Tiberius echoed, as Horatia wished for a healthy child. Of course she did. Everyone did. And Tiberius added a silent prayer for the lady's health as well. 

Out of curiosity, may I ask what sort of issues have been brought up to you thus far?

"Nothing worthy of Caesar's attention." Tiberius admitted. "Which I take to be a good sign of the excellent governance of the Empire." He added with a brief, tight expression; her husband being one of the men responsible for exactly that. "If I could wish for one thing," he said suddenly, meeting her gaze, "it would be for peace. Stability. Not glory or conquest, not riches or fame, just for each to have what they need, for one day to be like the next, and for parents to be able to raise their children in peace." Something he, as the child, had missed out on. 

@Sara

• Like 1