Assemble

Chevi

I was looking for a year. But I can't ask questions.

Jason didn't quite know what to say to that. "Well, now you've got help. And I bet any of these people will help you kill him - you know I will." Slowly; the Romans were as good at that as anyone, though whether they'd do that to a citizen was another thing. Jason hoped that he wouldn't turn out to be a citizen, he could think of several very exquisite things to do to the man once they got him.

And of course the door burst open and yet another person crammed himself in, this one with a sort of big-eyed somewhat bovine look to him.

Jason, very much not the tallest in the room, exchanged confused glances with his cousin and decided to let someone else explain what was going on. Too many people talking at once would confuse anyone, and they didn't need five people giving five different explanations for this gathering.

@Chevi @Atrice @Sara @Liv

• Like 4

"Well, now you've got help. And I bet any of these people will help you kill him - you know I will." 

Azarion nodded. He wanted a piece of that man. He did not want anyone else to get to kill him, but apparently everyone here had a very good reason to do so. The man had made one too many enemy, and now they were going to find him. Azarion wondered how long it would take to find a... barber, in Rome.

He has seen me, he signed to Jason. He couldn't go out looking, even if he could talk. That annoyed him. This newcomer also annoyed him. He did not look very bright.

@Sara@Sharpie@Liv@Atrice

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Alexius and Theo were willing to take on the brother. Lucius nodded. Didia also had some suggestion, but she was soon occupied by trying to herd the newcomer out of the room. He must have lived in the insula too. Damn nosy neighbors. Some chaos ensued, as it became clear that Didia, for all her snark and skepticism, was very, very bad at lying. A funeral? Really? Lucius rolled his eyes.

"Maybe he could help us? The more the... merrier?" 

"Do we trust him?" Lucius asked Alexius quietly. He seemed to know the young man.

"A missing purse?... Help you? So you want my help finding a missing purse, is that it?"

Oh, for the gods' sake.

@Sharpie@Sara@Atrice@Liv

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

They were all looking at him now, as if he was going to decide what to do with Artemon. Well he supposed it was kind of his fault that the fascinating young guy was here. Alexius liked Artemon. It was easy to talk to him and he was more than willing when they were together. Not that it happened often, but it had happened in the past. Nothing out of the ordinary – nothing to be embarrassed about there.

But he wasn’t sure lying to Artemon was a good plan. Artemon wasn’t the brightest of the bunch, but on the other hand… Didia’s story was a bit far out. Artemon seemed to buy it at first though, but then he wondered who died and Alexius suggested he could help them, maybe. Artemon of course didn’t know what was going on, except for what Didia told him, and now he seemed more confused. Lucius wondered if he could be trusted. Alexius looked at Artemon. Could he be trusted? He was easy to talk to. Maybe too easy.

“Maybe.” Alexius then said. If word got about this assembly and that they were here because someone died, word would get out and then the story might grow. That would be bad. Especially considered it was a lie… of course though, someone did die at some point, so it wasn’t a complete lie either? Maybe they could twist it so they didn’t have to tell Artemon the entire story, but some of it, if he was going to help…

He leaned closer to Lucius, whispering, “Maybe we don’t have to tell him everything. But I think he could be useful. He gets around too. He could help us look for a barber.” He said and then looked up at Artemon, “First, someone close the door? Artemon… we don’t need to find a missing purse. It’s a person we’re looking for, actually. I thought you could help us find him, if you’d like?”

@Sara @Chevi @Sharpie @Liv

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Didia stifled a groan, arm still around Artemon's shoulders, both for his bewildered expression and Alexius' ruthlessly honesty. Artemon was sweet; she liked him but she trusted him about as far as she could throw him. But it was becoming more evident that she was not the one in charge here and she glanced between the two men who were running the show; Lucius and Alexius with a quizzical look, before looking at Azarion, Theo and Jason in turn. She wondered if they thought this was as ridiculous as it was. 

She'd be damned if she was telling the whole truth though. "We think he's a barber. He's a friend of this one's," She pointed to Azarion - banking on the fact that he couldn't speak so couldn't argue back, "You-" She pointed at Jason, "Do you have his description so our friend Artemon can help us?" She pre-empted Artemon's question, "That one doesn't speak." 

TAG: @Sharpie @Chevi @Liv@Atrice

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Theo knew Artemon from living in the insula. He was... not very clever, but he was a kind young man, usually seen together with his (brighter) brother. He was not sure, however, if they should drag Artemon into investigating the dangerous man who was cutting and killing people. He looked between Didia, Lucius, and Alexius, waiting to see what they would decide.

Apparently, they decided on a half-truth. Artemon was very friendly and easy-going (usually with little to no social boundaries), so maybe he was just the kind of unassuming person who could find a barber without raising any flags?...

@Sharpie @Sara @Liv@Atrice 

• Like 2

And somehow the newcomer had been co-opted into helping, despite the fact he looked about as bright as a moonless night. And the girl (Didia?) had taken the lead, telling him that they were looking for a barber (apparently a friend of Azarion's, which was going to piss him off no end! He pressed his leg to his cousin's, hoping to delay the outburst of temper that was sure to follow despite his inability to speak.

"He's tall - about as tall as our vigiles friend here," he said. "He's got dark hair and blue eyes and wears a green knee-length cloak."

Which was a description that matched about half the men in Rome!

He was dangerous - he'd hurt several women, killed one - and hurt Azarion, so they couldn't presume anyone would be safe. He didn't think the newcomer looked like someone who could be discreet and that meant that he'd likely get himself into serious trouble, which probably hadn't occurred to anyone else, though it was obvious that Didia didn't want to let on just why they were after this man.

He glanced to Azarion, lifting his eyes to the ceiling. What a total mess this is!

@Sara @Chevi @Atrice @Liv

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Azarion wanted to find the killer. If they needed more people to do that, he was fine with that. They needed to get him as quickly as possible, before he could hurt more people. But this Artemon... did not seem like he would be much help. Even though the others decided to involve him anyway.

"We think he's a barber. He's a friend of this one's," 

Azarion's eyes flashed at her words, and he was about to make it very clear she'd said the wrong thing, but Jason managed to hold him back. This was just adding fucking insult to injury. Azarion glared at Jason instead. Bitch.

"You- Do you have his description so our friend Artemon can help us? That one doesn't speak." 

You are lucky this one doesn't speak.

Jason answered the question while Azarion folded his arms and leaned back against the wall again.

This idiot better be worth it.

@Sharpie @Sara @Atrice @Liv

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, alright then. Apparently they decided to trust this Artemon. Lucius watches as Didia gave him the basic information, wondering who exactly this young man was, and what he had to contribute to the search. Because the man's description was not much to go on, and it probably did not pay to be too friendly with him. But there was no walking it back now without telling him the whole thing.

"Apparently he smells like lemons." he frowned, adding to the description. "And may live around the Via Lata."

@Sharpie @Sara @Atrice @Liv

• Like 2

It seemed to Artemon he had somehow displeased the non-neighbour attendants of this mysterious party. Why that would be when he was even offering his help was beyond him (as many things were). A hoity-toity-looking man whispered something to Alexius, who whispered back before addressing Artemon. From missing purse to missing person? Now the plot was thickening! Briefly wondering if his witch employer would know anything about such spells, he nodded with great enthusiasm, eager to be of assistance.

A barber. Hmm. "I see," he caressed his chin, looking at the missing barber's friend of few words. Perhaps his Latin wasn't the best and the young man was embarrassed; Artemon could relate to that. Still, he listened carefully to the description he was provided, gaze flicking back and forth from one person to the next to show he was paying attention. This barber didn't sound particularly distinctive, truth be told. Another man provided a little more information, and the mention of lemons immediately brought to Artemon's mind his previous job in a merchant ship.

"I'll ask around at the harbour next time I'm in Ostia. Maybe he gets his lemons directly from one of the merchants there!" he exclaimed, secretly impressed with his own quick thinking. "And I'll keep an eye out for him at popinae and around the Via Lata." It wouldn't be easy, but Artemon would try his best. "Oh, and I can also ask the others at the warehouse if they've seen him!" he clapped his hands again, beaming at his audience.

Two questions occurred to him, and Artemon did not hesitate to pose them. They were intelligent questions, too. "Do you know his name? Or where his shop is?" 

@Sara @Sharpie @Atrice @Chevi

• Haha 4

Did wanted to slam her head into the wooden door to get this over with as Artemon, bless his soul, asked his questions. This was precisely why she hadn't been forthcoming. She managed to smother her eye-roll and directed a glare at Alexius and Lucius in turn for bringing him into this mess. Didia truly believed that poor Artemon was good at a great many things, but deducing complex criminals was not likely to be one of them; not that he knew he was a criminal, of course. 

Didia mustered a smile for Artemon and shook her head; "We don't, unfortunately. On both counts. But your brother gets around the city, doesn't he? Maybe you could ask him?" She offered, trying to be helpful. Iophon seemed to come and go at all hours and she often spotted him in corners of the city where surely Artemon wouldn't venture. "But we have to be a bit discrete...careful," She clarified, in case he didn't know the word, "Because it's a surprise for him." She hoped that would satisfy Artemon. 

"Should we go? I can get those figs?" She offered to the young man and moved to place his arm around his shoulders. She'd drag him from here if she had to. "And we can speak later." She said to Alexius, clearly unenthused by the way this was turning out - vigiles and idiots and mutes and all.

TAG: @Sharpie @Chevi @Atrice @Liv

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Alexius wasn't sure that they all agreed on his idea of having Artemon help them, but he assumed they did, when they began explaining about the person to Artemon. He didn't think it would be too bad if Artemon didn't know why they were looking for this person. And if he was careful, right? Didia began explaining, Jason joined in and then Lucius added the bit about the scent. That's all they had really. Artemon put two and two together and had questions of his own, which Didia seemed happy to answer.

Alexius nodded when Didia said you had to be careful, "Yes, that's important, that you're discrete and careful. We don't want to upset anyone." Alexius added after Didia, he would fall into pieces if Artemon was hurt. Gods, he should have thought of that to begin with! Yet all he considered before was that more eyes and ears were useful for their cause. And now it had to be that way. Maybe he could talk to some of his friends on the streets to keep a lookout for Artemon, just in case. Yes, he'd do that. 

Didia gave Alexius a look about talking later and he gave her a smile, "Of course we can." He simply replied, although her gaze said it might not be a cheerful conversation. But this was not a cheerful occassion either, this was quite serious. 

"Is there anything more we need to discuss? Anyone want to add something?" Alexius asked, once Didia and Artemon had left his insula together.

@Sharpie @Chevi @Sara @Liv

• Like 3

Theo was not sure any of the subterfuge would hold up, but then again Didia knew Artemon more than him. Maybe he really was that... naive. They managed to give him an idea of whom they were looking for, without mentioning the killing, bleeding part, and then Ovinia ushered Artemon out of the apartment. Theo watched them go. Everyone else looked equally confused.

"Is there anything more we need to discuss? Anyone want to add something?" 

"I... will let you all know if I hear something." he told them. "And I am still up for visiting the brothel to ask some questions. If you need me at any time, you can find me here, or at the ludus magnus."

@Sharpie @Atrice @Liv @Sara

• Like 3

This idiot better be worth it.

Jason gave his cousin a shrug and an expressive look of his own. Who knows!

He could keep his eyes and ears open, but who knew how much help he would actually be - he didn't have the leisure time to wander around Rome asking questions and helping with an investigation, and nor did he know if he would be able to get away from his master and the palace to be able to contact anyone if he did hear anything. At least he knew where to find the medicus and the tall warrior-looking man.

"I'll do what I can," he said. "If anyone needs me, I'll get a message if you send it to the palace - the slaves' door." He somehow thought that the very tall patrician-looking man would send a message via one of the Praetorians, simply handing it at the main entrance. A guaranteed way for him to never receive the message at all!

He glanced at Azarion. Did his cousin want to add anything?

@Chevi @Atrice @Sara @Liv

• Like 2

Azarion rolled his eyes. At least the idiot, and the snappy woman were finally gone. He did not have anything else to add, and he did not want to anyway, since apparently the idiot was now under the impression that the barber was his... friend. He hated the thought, so he folded his arms and sulked. There was not much more to talk about now. They all had their parts to play. Well, except for Azarion, because he was useless at asking questions, and the killer had already seen him.

There was one thing to say, though. He gestured to Tiranes.

I want to be there, when they have him.

@Sharpie@Atrice@Liv@Sara

• Like 2

Lucius watched Didia and Artemon go, and sighed. Well, that was... one way of doing it. They had one more person looking, that was good. And they had some leads to follow.

"It seems like we all have our parts to play now." he noted, looking around. "Everyone... be careful. We don't know what else this man is capable of. If you need me, find me at the barracks of the vigiles. And we'll... meet here again, once we have things to discuss. And do not... do not try to apprehend him alone."

Hopefully, they could all work together, and no one else would get hurt.

@Sara@Sharpie@Atrice@Liv

• Like 3