Sara

Alexius would love to take out Lucia sometime, but that would not be today. He'd come to see Ovinia, because he cared for her and he didn't want her to send him away, just because apparently he appeared sad. But he was only sad and concerned for her... and because of his own misdeed towards her. Honestly he wasn't even sure that she'd forgiven him, maybe she would not, but she gave him a choice and he chose to stay with her. He wondered where they were going, since she stood, and she said they were not going anywhere outside. Although her father wanted her to.

"You know you'll be safe with me, out there. I've kept you safe before." Alexius reminded her with a friendly smile and then she spoke about lunch, "If you're inviting me, I could eat a bite or two." He added and followed her through the house to a triclinium. It wasn't often he came to sit in those couches, in such a room. Alexius usually either bought something to eat at the popina or thermopolia where he bought it, or he brought it home. And he certainly wasn't invited to fancy dinner parties in houses where they had rooms like these. But he sat down on a couch and watched the slaves fetch dishes for him too. 

"I haven't been doing much, to be honest... other than what I already told you. I work with Lucius towards finding your attacker. I think he likes me... that we may be friends, now." He said with a smile, always happy to gain another friend in his ever-growing circle, "And I work, of course." He could not recall if he told her what else he did, when he wasn't being hired in as her bodyguard, "And I go out, as often as I can. And apparently, I'll be going to a library soon. What are we going to do there? Are you going to read for me?" The thought was a bit amusing. He wouldn't be reading to her, after all. So what were they going to do there?

@Sara

• Haha 1

"Lucius likes everybody." She commented mildly, aggrieved that his name would come up again. There was a reason she was not seeking him out, and going directly to Alexius instead. That Alexius mentioned him though, suggested Lucius hadn't said anything. Which was good. She felt relief wash over her as she tried to put it out of her mind. Alexius managed to distract her almost immediately and she actually let out a genuine laugh, a smile grazing her lips. 

"Of course I'll read to you," She quirked a brow, "Love literature perhaps? Or one of the epics, about the gallant heroes of old?" Reading wasn't a hobby she adored, but she enjoyed it enough to do when she could find the time. It was, to her, a sad life to live without letters but Alexius seemed to live his life to the full, so she felt no pity. "But we're also going to some temples. I don't think Vesta's or Jupiter's," She chuckled and shook her head, "But I have a soft spot for Honos and Virtus'. Or how about the Temple of Hercules Victor? It's not very big and the columns are still ugly," She wrinkled her nose, "But it seems fitting for you. There's the temple of Apollo Palatinus. If we go there we could go the Library of Palatine Apollo and mingle with all the Senators, throw them off that a woman and a freedman are amongst them." She was already mentally planning out the itinerary in her head. 

"But I don't want you to be bored to death, so you can pick something we're doing as well." 

TAG: @Atrice

• Like 1

Ovinia just claimed Lucius liked everyone... well, some more than others, Alexius thought to himself, but didn't say it. It was a pity that Lucius' views on love were different from Alexius'. If he'd been in love with a stunning girl like Ovinia, he doubted he'd have held back the same way Lucius did. He would have done everything he could to be with her - he wouldn't just give up. But none of them seemed willing to listen to his thoughts on the matter, so he stopped bringing it up. Alexius knew he was one of a kind, when it came to matters of love and pleasure. Not everyone could follow his reasoning. 

So back to her question, what he'd been doing and what he would do. He enjoyed going out... and soon he would visit a library with Ovinia. He'd already told her that he wasn't very good at reading and didn't really do it, so she would have to read for him. She claimed that she'd read for him and wondered what, "I'll listen to whatever you prefer. It's your day, after all. You won it." He added with a wink, recalling their simple bet at the arena that day. Ovinia went on about visiting temples and apparently had a whole lot of ideas for which to visit. None of them really temples Alexius would choose. He smiled when she also seemed to enjoy the idea of a woman and a freedman walking together among Senators. It was good to see her smile. 

He chuckled when she allowed him to pick something, "If you like temples, I enjoy visiting that of Fortuna. There's also Venus, of course. But Fortuna might be right for you too." He suggested, looking up at her, "Did you ever go?" Maybe Fortuna required Ovinia's attention... so she could have a bit of luck. She could really use that, he thought.  Alexius believed Fortuna granted those luck who paid attention to her, after all. 

@Sara

• Like 1

Ovinia watched him neutrally but there was a small smile on her lips as she leant to pick up some of the food from the table, a hunk of bread which she dipped in oil. Venus and Fortuna. Perfect for him; she really should have thought of both herself and chastised herself for the oversight. 

She shook her head as she swallowed down the bread and leant again to scoop up some crumbled cheese on a smaller plate, hair falling down over her shoulder as she did so. "I don't go often." She admitted. Fortuna's temple was next door to Mater Matuta's, and she liked the latter but had rarely set foot in the former, "To either. Fortuna...praise be her but...I have always already considered myself blessed by her. Until...what happened, I suppose." She curled back up on the couch, fingers fiddling with the cheese. "I wonder why she deserted me, that evening?" It was a rhetorical question. Who were they to question the will of the Gods? "Do you go often?" 

She narrowed her gaze on the cheese, not looking at him, "And Venus...I need no advice on virtue," Yes she did, "Or love." Yes she did. "But I could do prayers for prosperity, perhaps...and fertility of course." She leant hurriedly for her wine and gulped it down. "It's settled then," She finally glanced up at him and exhaled, "A morning in the library and then onto the Temple of Hercules Victor, Fortuna and and Venus. Next week, perhaps? Or the week after?" 

• Like 1

He noticed her small smile when he spoke of the temples and goddesses he liked and paid most attention to, he supposed anyone who knew him, would understand his reasons for adoring exactly those he did. And he thought especially Fortuna might be good for Ovinia too. Venus too, to be honest, when considering the whole odd issue with Lucius. She said she did not go to Fortuna’s temple often, and not Venus’ either. She thought herself blessed, until now at least.

“I’m no priest but… as far as I’ve understood, if you pay them attention, they will bless you. And I have always believed Fortuna was on my side. Else I imagine I’d not have made it this far.” He said with a smile. He thought it would be a good idea to take Ovinia there and bring a nice and good sacrifice to the goddess, to prove that she should turn the wheel in your fortune. Ovinia mused about Venus then and Alexius was quite sure he disagreed with her thoughts. She did need advice on at least love. He could care less about virtue. But love… was important. Alexius lifted his wine too, when she did, although he paid attention to how she gulped hers down.

“Whenever you’re free and ready to leave the house.” Alexius said, “I’m sure I can spare a few hours, for you.” He was the head guard, after all. He’d just decide that he would spare a few hours and give one of the others a shift instead, “We should bring something, to all of the temples.” He then added, just in case. 

@Sara

• Like 1

She gave him a small, lopsided smile and nodded. She could imagine Fortuna was smiling down on him; he had a good life. Not one she'd want, mind, but he seemed content...besides the small discomfort he'd shared a few minutes ago about her secret. 

"The week after next." She breathed, the thought of going out and about next week feeling beyond overwhelming. Her father forced her out to keep up appearances, at dinners and walks but it was uncomfortable. She wanted to stay inside, where it was safe. Even the promise of Alexius' company wasn't enough to tempt her any sooner than the week after next. It wasn't rational, she knew that, Alexius was a giant and she had no doubts he'd be able to capably defend her if needed, but the thought of walking the streets...she gave an involuntary shudder and turned her attention back to his words.

"Of course." She nodded and smiled tightly, waving a hand, "I will sort that out." She didn't want Alexius spending his money when she had armfuls of her own. She considered, for a moment, that the bangles jangling on her wrist - even in her dressed down state - might be worth more than his rent at his little room. She tucked her arm under the blanket. "What does our Goddess Fortuna like again?" She winced, trying to recall lessons in her head, "A white dove? Or was that somebody else?" 

• Like 1

Alexius was indeed content with his life. And once had some wine and some good company, he felt more than just content. So why should he not trust that Fortuna was smiling down on him, when he was still alive, and free, and had friends and everything you should want in a life? Except maybe for someone to come home to, that wasn't just your son you met a few years ago. He did miss that. But everything else, he had. So he was free to go out with Ovinia, whenever she was ready. She decided when it would happen and then he suggested they brought a sacrifice to all of the temples they would visit. Alexius was not born Roman, but he grew up here and didn't really recall the gods they had in Germania. The Roman gods were his. And he knew it was best to show respect, when you visited their temples.

She promised to sort it out and wondered what Fortuna would like. Alexius never had any lessons in what you should give the different gods and goddesses. So he gave them what he felt was right.

"She's a goddess who controls our fortune, the actual fortune and the inner fortune, as far as I'm concerned. So I like to give her something related to that. Coin or something that would make a woman happy." Alexius said with a smile, "Every woman is different though." He then mused, he liked to bring Fortuna fresh flowers or sweet cakes, but what would Ovinia think? "If a man should bring you a gift, to prove you're important to him... what should it be?"

@Sara

• Like 1

His question made her smile and she chuckled, wrapping the blanket tighter around her legs. "I've had plenty of gifts...but good ones?" She arched a brow. She'd had jewellery, most of which she'd sold on (why would she want a clunky, ugly gold bangle?) and food and flowers. The flowers died and the food rotted, uneaten. 

She considered her question for a moment and then sighed, shaking her head; "I think - let's assume you're not talking about a Goddess here," she chuckled, "It should be something tied to the woman in question. I don't expect a gift on a first meeting...that would be awkward," And always was when a man turned up with a box of gaudy treasure, "But after you've gotten to know somebody, it should be something tied to something she's mentioned. So if she likes art, bring her a framed mosaic, if it's gardening bring her flowers, if it's music...bring her an instrument." She shrugged, frowning, a little bemused, "It's not that hard but so many men get it wrong." She cast a glance at him, "Why...do you have a woman besides Fortuna that you wish to buy something for?"

• Like 1

Alexius felt happy when he heard her chuckle, she seemed amused at his question, but that was only good. It just meant he was doing something right. Earlier their conversation had been heavier, but they got past it and now all seemed good. He even managed to distract her from what happened to her, made her think of something good and fun. See, this was what he liked. Making people feel good. Especially women, but men too. See that smile, and the way he could almost tell how her mind was working to find a proper answer.

He leaned back on his own couch, ready to listen to her. Ovinia had plenty of ideas for what a man should bring to a woman as a gift, to show her his dedication to her. She seemed to enjoy it, really and Alexius chuckled when she said that many men got it all wrong. Alexius probably did too, but he did try to do it right, at least? Although he very rarely actually courted a woman, so had no reason to bring her anything but sweet kisses and even sweeter pleasure. Suddenly though, Ovinia was asking into his lovelife.

"No... I don't. Not like that." Alexius confessed, "Not that there are no women in my life..." Oh there were plenty! "...but... I'm not really attached to them, like that? Or they're not, to me. It's not so easy to explain..." He trailed off, "I think I would ruin myself, if should bring every woman I meet a gift." It probably made no sense to her, which was perfectly fine. It was hard to explain to people how and why he lived the life he did. But Ovinia knew more than a little at least, after their day at the arena. 

@Sara

• Like 1

Ovinia was trying to puzzle it out, what he meant. It didn't make any sense to her, but that was because her love life should, in practice, be constrained to a demure courtship to a demure marriage and then a brood of children. 

She chuckled at his joke though and shifted uncomfortably in her seat, "I suppose it depends on the state of your coffers Alexius...but I have to ask," She tilted her face to him and placed her jaw in her palm, "...How many women?" He'd alluded to it before, at their day out, but she hadn't pried. Now she couldn't help but ask. 

• Haha 1

She knew he was an experienced man, didn't she? If their conversations at the arena had taught her anything, it should be that. But of course, he couldn't tell her everything and once more, the conversation was venturing away from proper subjects. Yet if it distracted her mind and made her smile... why not? As long as she would not tell her father, but she wouldn't, else she'd also be scolded, he thought. Ovinia chuckled, but also shifted where she sat and then she wondered how many women.

Alexius blinked. How many women? How many women

"I... have no idea." He said, "And it... changes? All the time? So, it's not easy to count." How to explain it any other way? And that was just the women! 

"But I'm not uhm... looking to marry any of them? Not that they're not lovely, they all are, but..." He picked up a date to eat while pondering what to say next, because there was really no easy way to explain it. Better turn a question to her then! "Why do you want to know?" 

@Sara

Edited by Atrice
  • Haha 1

Ovinia's eyes widened and she frowned. "You...have lost count?" She choked it out, completely in disbelief. "That many?" She wanted to slap him but restrained herself, just about. She huffed though and gave him a bit of a glare, although there wasn't much heat in it. Not really. 

"I was just curious." She mumbled and set about smoothing out the wrinkles on the blanket to distract herself, "It's just so different for you. I wanted to know how different. Wish I'd never asked." She rolled her eyes, "But humour me," she chuckled, "Have you ever...had a woman you shouldn't of? And it didn't go well?" Because that lived experience might be helpful. 

• Haha 1

How could he not lose count, it's not like he was young anymore? And he'd been at this ever since he came to the ludus, more or less anyway. He had no idea how many women (or men) he'd slept with and he wasn't very good with numbers anyway, so counting them would be nearly impossible. He just nodded when Ovinia looked at him with wide eyes. Why did she seem surprised? Surely there was a reason for all this... he wasn't young anymore, but he knew he still had his looks. Among other things. 

She said she was curious and his life was different. And now she would know if he ever had a woman he shouldn't have had?

"I've probably had a few I shouldn't have." He said with a grin. More than a few, probably, "But I've never really had any problems? I know how to be discrete, when it matters." He knew how to not wake a husband's suspicions, that was what he meant... but he probably shouldn't encourage such things with Ovinia, although he kind of wanted to, because he liked her and he liked Lucius and obviously at least Lucius liked Ovinia, but... he probably shouldn't. Instead he could mention something else, "It's not so many years ago though, that I met a woman that I did want to bring gifts. I even did, I think." He said, thinking back to his time with Oriana, "The only problem was, I was her bodyguard. And she was above me, socially. And although she liked me too, she wouldn't give up everything she had, for me. So..." He trailed off, "I wish we'd been able to work it out, but we weren't." It was a bit of a sad story, but the time he spent with Oriana had been quite good. He didn't really look at it with sad memories, but more as just a part of his life, that had been good, but now it was over. What would Ovinia think though? She too was socially above Lucius. That was the whole issue, it seemed. More often than not.

@Sara

• Like 1

This conversation was making her feel better, nervous and worse in equal measure. She bit at the skin of her cheek and studied him as he spoke, although she cast a look down to the blanket as if it was the most exciting thing in the world when he said he knew how to be discrete. She wanted to ask but dared not to. There was no point, whatever she might have wanted to happen with a certain vigile was long dead by his own hand. She smothered her annoyance with a sip of wine. She really was just torturing herself with this conversation. 

She eyed Alexius carefully as he finished his melancholy story and sighed, setting down her winecup. She wanted to judge the woman and perhaps the Ovinia of six months ago would have, vigorously, but she couldn't right now. She'd had the smallest hint of pleasure in a forbidden kiss, she could see how easy it was to fall into that trap. "It's difficult, Alexius." she sighed and shook her head, "If she was a woman of my class or equite...you can't just do what you wish to. She could have been ruined," she gave him a firm look, "Cast out from her family. The Augustus cast out his own daughter to die on Pandataria after all...it's serious." She bit at her lip and offered him a sad smile. "But there'll be others. If you found love with one, perhaps you're not destined to endless women...you just haven't found the right one, and you came close with this upper class woman?" 

• Like 1

He sometimes wanted to walk by Oriana’s house still, but didn’t, because he didn’t want to interrupt her life. He didn’t even know if she was still there. If she’d married, she had probably moved into her husband’s house. Did she care for her husband, the same way she cared for him? But he’d never know. And somehow it felt right to tell Ovinia this story, because she too was above Lucius’ rank (now she was), and she liked him and he liked her. No matter what she said.

Ovinia sipped her wine and said that a woman could be ruined and cast out from her family for staying with a man like him. Alexius nodded and smiled at her words, “I did come close. We actually toyed with the idea of running away together. But then she’d lose everything, as you said. I couldn’t let her do that, for me.” Maybe he had really not just cared for her, but loved her. Wasn’t that what love, real love, was all about? Wanting the best for the one you loved, no matter what it did to yourself? And there had not been anyone in his life like her, since then.

“Enough about me though. I hope it will all work out for you.” Alexius said with a smile to her and then, it was impossible to not add with a grin: “And if it doesn’t… if you ever need anything... you know how to find me.”

@Sara

• Like 1

Ovinia gave Alexius a sad little smile and nodded her head. She understood. Probably not in the same way, but she understood. She was on the opposing side in his conundrum, although from the sounds of it, nowhere near as advanced as his affair with this woman. She'd never really understood the pain of losing somebody, not really, not properly, although she was beginning to feel it now and it hurt. She exhaled sharply though and tried to put the thought out of her head. It was just a kiss. 

"I do." She chuckled and shook her head, "But not for that, charming though you are, Alexius." He was surely old enough to be her father...and even if he wasn't, she saw him as a friend more than anything serious to contemplate. The flattery was nice though, she'd grant him that. "The week after next." She affirmed with a nod of her head and with a sigh, pushed herself up, as if it was time to leave. She felt wrung out and needed rest, but didn't wish to say that to him. Hopefully he'd catch her drift. "I'll send a boy with the day, and you had better dress up." She gave him a look with an arched brow, "We're going to be cultured for a day, Alexius." 

The affair with Oriana had been very advanced, from their first time and then it didn't end. He recalled how she'd offered him a bath, after he disposed of some men he thought attacked her... and then he had offered her to join him in the bath. The rest was history, between them. They grew closer, until it was apparently too close, despite how he'd cared for her and she for him. Lexus had worked for her even after Alexius had been told to look for work elsewhere, but it didn't matter. It was over and there was little he could do about it. Life moved on and now he had his son, he had a job and he had everything he always had. Lovers and friends, all over Rome. People like lovely Ovinia in his life. He couldn't help but tease her a bit, saying that if she should ever need anything, she knew where to find him.

She chuckled again, calling him charming, but not that charming for her, apparently. Which was a pity. He might be a lot older than her, but in his world, love should really not have an age. As long as you were mature and everyone involved agreed on what to do... there was really nothing else to do but share, what should be shared. Pleasure and love. But he understood too that there was another, younger man that she probably wanted more than Alexius. And he wouldn't want to come between them. They seemed to have plenty of issues without it. 

"Thank you, I think." He said with a grin and then she went on about their next meeting. It seemed their current meeting was coming to an end and she asked him to dress up for their library day. Alexius arched a brow, "I'll attempt to do so, and then we'll see if it's enough." He wasn't exactly a wealthy man, not even a wealthy plebian. He had enough coin, but not more than enough. And he rarely had to dress up. He stood too when she did and looked at her, "It was good to see you, Ovinia. And I meant it. If you need me for anything, send for me." If she needed a bodyguard, if she needed someone to talk to, someone to just sit with her, Alexius would be there. He had a certain reputation, but he did care deeply for people who were close to him. And he'd like to twist the neck of Ovinia's attacker as much as anyone else in their little party of people looking for the attacker. That's just how it was.

@Sara

• Like 1