All wrapped up

Chevi

It took a few moments before she responded to him, telling him that until recently, he'd have risked execution for saying such a thing to her. Alexius knew that, or something like that anyway, he was no stranger to the religious practices of Rome. He might be German-born, but he grew up here and the Roman gods were his gods too. Calpurnia went on about her brother taking the family honor very seriously. This time Alexius arched a brow, didn't she like the compliments? But she blushed and smiled. Alexius felt a bit confused now, why would she speak of such things when she just blushed? Was she trying to tell him to back off? Not that he was sure he would. But then she said many men would not say such things.

"You'll find I'm not like most men." Alexius said, "And you're free and independent now, the way I see it. At least until our young caesar finds you a husband." He looked at her, unafraid as he went on. Not that he was trying to risk anything, he had his son and he had his job. But he'd faced the risk of execution and death before, as a gladiator. So no, he was not afraid... "So, I just hope you're not offended. I just think it would be rude to not say anything, when I see someone as stunning as you." 

@Chevi

• Haha 1

"You'll find I'm not like most men."

Oh, he wasn't.

"And you're free and independent now, the way I see it. At least until our young caesar finds you a husband."

She was. She was independent in a way an unmarried woman in Rome rarely ever was - in a way women usually achieved after having several children, or maybe a dead husband. She was free to do a lot of things, but so far, she had not considered this kind of freedom.

"So, I just hope you're not offended. I just think it would be rude to not say anything, when I see someone as stunning as you." 

She chuckled as he reinforced his point. It had to be different for him - tall and muscular, he looked good. No doubt he was popular with women. But when a woman was almost his height, with the strong features of Calpurnia, and dared to hold her head high too... that usually got a different reaction. Cautious respect at a distance, more like. "No, I am not offended. I am just not used to it" she admitted, glancing at him "I'd say, you are probably more comfortable with the attention. You are quite handsome yourself." Gods, she was not good at this.

@Atrice

• Haha 1

She chuckled, seeming to like the attention he gave her after all. So maybe she was not offended. No, she wasn't, she said so, but also that she was not used to such attention. And she thought he was more comfortable with it. Then she even paid the compliment back and Alexius chuckled too.

"You're not wrong in your assumption about me." Alexius said, "And thanks. I'm glad you find me pleasing." He said with a grin. Should he take this further? A former Vestal, but also related to a Senator who was on a very high horse, having been a Consul... he thought on that while he took a moment to adjust the layer of fabrics in his arms, some of them were slipping a bit, "Is it far, your domus? I expect you live with your brother?" And he had no idea where that was, but probably somewhere on the Palatine? Although it didn't seem like they were going in that direction. And funny he asked her that, since it would be useful information to have.

@Chevi

• Haha 1

"You're not wrong in your assumption about me. And thanks. I'm glad you find me pleasing."

Of course she wasn't wrong. He seemed like a popular man. But at least he was not ridiculously full of himself, or boasting about his many accomplishments. He seemed kind and generous. That was a lot more rare than being tall and handsome.

"Is it far, your domus? I expect you live with your brother?" 

"I do. Him and his family." Calpurnia nodded. She liked it much better than staying with her parents. "It's not far now, on the Aventine." She glanced at him "I appreciate you helping to carry this stuff. We can stop if you want."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius readjusted the fabrics he held in his arms and wondered just how far he'd still have to carry them. Not that he couldn't carry it all, but he was curious about it and curious whom she lived with. She probably didn't live alone. Well everyone of her rank had slaves, but besides that. Not that she needed slaves, he thought. She could probably dress herself just fine and do many other things on her own. Things young Patrician women would not consider doing without a slave. She really was admirable. 

Calpurnia revealed she lived with her brother and his family on the Aventine. Alexius nodded and Calpurnia said they could stop, "Only if you wish to do so. It's all yours, this." Alexius said with a grin, "I'm no stranger to hard work. Maybe not hard work like this, but... it's alright." He added, "The Aventine is not so far." It was a somewhat long way from his own area of Rome though, "I live in the other direction, over on the Esquiline Hill." If she was even interested in such knowledge, but she might be. She seemed to like him, at least. She'd called him handsome. It was not the worst start. Even if he probably should not think about a former Vestal like that, but she was more than that, wasn't she? She was also a woman who deserved attention that may never have been given to her before. And Alexius was more than happy to give it.

@Chevi

• Haha 1

"Carry it to the house and I'll treat you to some wine" Calpurnia smiled at him, walking on. They were no more than a few minutes away now anyway. Alexius noted that he lived in the other direction, up on the Esquiline. Calpurnia knew that that hill boasted both expensive households, and quite a few insulae. "Good to know. I was going to ask where I can find you if... I ever have a job that requires someone like you." A bodyguard, clearly. She threw Alexius a sideways glance. She wasn't even sure what she was asking, really. She just enjoyed his company.

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius gave her another smile when she promised him wine once they reached the house, "I'll not say no to that." Or anything else she might offer him, he thought to himself, but wine was a good start! In many cases, wine started good things. Few fun things began with water. Unless it was in a bath. But now his mind was getting distracted and since they were close to her home, he thought of his own and casually mentioned where he lived. Calpurnia was glad to know it and where to find him.

"Well now you know. And it's not hard to find me. Most people in my area know me and where I can be found." Alexius replied to her, looking at her again, "You think you will have that? A need for someone like me?" Her brother was an important man, surely he had plenty of guards and bodyguards and slaves to also help her out. Not that he wouldn't be more than happy to work for her. And she could have a need for someone like him in many ways. Alexius could easily imagine it. 

@Chevi

• Haha 1

Calpurnia stood of her offer; she was free to give wine to anyone she deemed worthy, and Alexius was polite and helpful enough to qualify. He also disclosed where he lived, and how she may find him if she wanted to. It sounded like he was a prominent figure in his own part of Rome's community. And a little amused at her question.

"You think you will have that? A need for someone like me?"

Calpurnia arched an eyebrow at him, trying to guess his true meaning. "I might" she ventured. "I do enjoy your company. And I like to spend time with people like that, regardless of... how useful they are." She chuckled. "But I am used to people talking to me more directly than to other women. You can tell me what's on your mind, even if you don't agree."

@Sara

• Like 1

Calpurnia arched a brow at his question, although he had no idea if she knew what he had on his mind. Of course he'd be happy to just serve her, be her bodyguard, she certainly was more than worthy of his protection, he might even do it for free, stunning and important as she was. But just in case she was interested. Although did she even know what she could be interested in? The Vestals were virgins, were they not? If they were, that meant she might still be one too. Poor woman, he thought to himself. Think, to never have experienced pleasure with another person. She deserved only the best experience then. Alexius would happily provide it. But Calpurnia merely said she enjoyed his company and liked to spend time with people whose company she liked. And then she said she wanted him to tell her what was on his mind.

Alexius chuckled, not used to women like her being so blunt. But it was refreshing! 

"You're really unlike anyone else, Calpurnia!" He said with a grin, "Maybe I will tell you, but not out here in the street. Maybe once you've treated me with the wine you promised. And only if you will share it with me, so I don't have to drink alone." Alexius added, assuming they would soon reach their destination anyway. Being indoors and alone with her and some wine might be better. He knew the walls of Rome had ears. And he had his reputation... he didn't want to ruin hers. Or he did, actually... but in secret. Not openly anyway.

@Chevi

• Haha 1

Calpurnia smiled at Alexius calling her 'unlike anyone else.' Who didn't like being unique like that? He was unlike anyone she had ever met too. Which made him intriguing. And now he was playing a game, promising to tell her more and asking to share the wine. Good thing Aulus was not at home; he was off doing senator business. Otherwise he might question what Alexius was doing in the house, sharing wine with his sister.

They made it to the domus in a few minutes. Calpurnia entrusted the fabrics to the household girls, and instructed her body slave to bring some drinks and food to the triclinium. "So, tell me your story then, Alexius" she smiled at him, sitting back on one of the couches. He was offered a chair, befitting a guest of a lower rank. Appearances mattered in this household. "Were you raised to be a bodyguard?"

@Atrice

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

She smiled at his compliment, for it was a compliment that she was unlike any other women. Or unlike most anyway, but unlike any other sounded much better. She wanted him to be honest with her though, about his intentions, he assumed. And he would tell her, but not out here in the street where anyone could hear them. The walls of Rome had ears and he'd seen his name scribbled on the walls many places in Rome. People talked about him. And it really would not be fair if they talked about her too. Both because it was not fair to herself, but she also had a prominent family, so he had to try and be discreet. Good thing he had plenty of practice. So he suggested they shared the wine she had offered him.

Soon they came to the domus, where Alexius could finally unload the layers of fabric he'd held in his arms. Calpurnia led him to the triclinium of the house. And it was a very nice house, Alexius though. Large too, and very neat and clean. She sat down on a couch and Alexius was offered a chair, where he sat down. And she asked him tell her his story.

"I was not." Alexius easily said, but he knew why she'd think that, "I was a gladiator; I wasn't born in Rome." He added, "I was freed many years ago though, and today I do work as a bodyguard, among other things. I don't think I'd mind working for you from time to time." He said with a smile, "If that's what you think you'll need me for, of course." 

@Chevi

• Like 1

"I was not. I was a gladiator; I wasn't born in Rome."

"Oh?" she was not entirely surprised, but it did add a whole new layer to who Alexius was. He was brought to Rome, probably as a slave; fought in the arena and lived. And then got his freedom. Those few words told a whole long story. Calpurnia tried to remember if she had seen him fight. The Vestal had their own seats in the Amphitheater, but she rarely attended the games.

"I was freed many years ago though, and today I do work as a bodyguard, among other things. I don't think I'd mind working for you from time to time. If that's what you think you'll need me for, of course." 

Calpurnia chuckled. This was a game she had not played before. "I get the feeling people need you for a whole lot of different things, Alexius" she noted with a smirk. "But no. I don't really need a bodyguard."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Calpurnia didn't say much after he revealed that he'd been a gladiator, so he went on with the very brief overview of his story. If she wanted to know more, he was sure she'd ask questions, because she was the sort of woman who wouldn't be afraid to do that. But he told her he did work as a bodyguard sometimes, and he would work for her too. If that's what she would need him for. Calpurnia chuckled at his words, saying people needed him for many things and she didn't need a bodyguard.

"I guess I'm a very resourceful person." Alexius replied with a grin, "And I like many things... and many people. I try not to judge people too much. I just... want to be helpful and make people happy." And he wanted to be needed, but that was not how he thought about it. He paused as a slave entered with the drinks and food Calpurnia asked for and he didn't speak up again until they were alone, "Do you still want to hear what's on my mind?" 

@Chevi

• Haha 1

Calpurnia was not naive. It had occurred to her on the way that maybe bodyguard duties were not the only thing Alexius paid for. But she also did not tend to judge people wherever they came from, so she decided to wait and find out. Paying for... company, that was outside her realm of possibilities, but it didn't need to ruin a friendly conversation.

"I guess I'm a very resourceful person. And I like many things... and many people. I try not to judge people too much. I just... want to be helpful and make people happy."

"That is a good way to live" she smiled back. It was also not something one would have expected from a former gladiator. Alexius was not a brute. She could tell why he would be liked by many people.

A slave brought food and drinks. Calpurnia picked up a cup of wine and sat back.

"Do you still want to hear what's on my mind?" 

"I do" she nodded with a smile, curious what he would say.

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius was never paid for anything but actual work. Teutus paid him well enough and so did Ovinia's father, when Alexius didn't insist that they were going out because he was her friend and not just her bodyguard. But her father thought it more proper that he was paid, so he took it anyway. But besides that, he was free for anything else. He told Calpurnia that he was a resourceful person, which was one way to put it. And he wanted to make people happy. Bring some smiles and joy to their lives. Take away the pain. Unless of course someone had hurt or would hurt someone he cared for... then he would deal out the pain instead. There was one particular person in Rome whose throat he'd like to wrap his hands around, but so far, he had not been caught. 

But he didn't want to think about that now. He'd much rather keep his attention on Calpurnia, who sat back with a cup of wine, looking every bit like the Patrician woman she was. And then some. And of course Calpurnia wanted to hear what was on his mind. He smiled.

"Currently, it's you." Alexius replied smoothly, "You've been nothing but good to me and you're a stunning woman, Calpurnia. Unlike anyone else, as I said. Lovely to look upon too." He said, his smile never fading as he this time not so discretely looked her over, until his gaze met hers again, "And if anyone's worthy of attention and care, it's you. If... you would let me give it to you." 

@Chevi

• Like 1

Calpurnia was curious what Alexius would say. She hoped he was not playing a game; she'd asked him to speak freely, and she was trusting him to do so. She was also curious to know if she had read their conversation right. Since she had no experience in these kinds of things.

"Currently, it's you. You've been nothing but good to me and you're a stunning woman, Calpurnia. Unlike anyone else, as I said. Lovely to look upon too."

She felt herself blush. She didn't do that very often. Neither of them was young and foolish - by her estimation, Alexius was about the same age as she - but it felt good to be complimented like that, after such a short time of knowing each other.

"And if anyone's worthy of attention and care, it's you. If... you would let me give it to you." 

Alright, yes, it took her a moment to catch her breath.

"You like playing with fire, Alexius" Calpurnia noted, holding his gaze. He thought her beautiful, and desirable. That was something she's never experienced before. But it was also a question in theory, at the moment. Would she dare go further? If her brother, or gods forbid her parents, ever found out, there would be hell to pay. "You seem like a smart man. You know what the stakes are in... something like that." Not quite the treason-and-being-buried-alive consequences of her former occupation. But only just.

@Atrice

• Like 1

She asked him to speak freely - she did it earlier too, when they were in the street, but Alexius thought it better to wait until they were alone, behind the walls of this house. So the walls of the streets of Rome would not listen. And there did not seem to be any slaves nearby either now, so he dared to speak his mind, as she asked him to. How could he do anything else but follow her wish, when she was such an impressive woman? Only a fool would not do her bidding. And Alexius was no fool. 

He saw her blush, but didn't mention it as he went on, saying he would give her proper attention and care, should she allow him to do so. It took a moment before she replied. Alexius understood; she'd been a Vestal virgin, it was very likely she had not been with a man before at all. And she wasn't used to attention like the one he gave her now. But she should be. She deserved it. So much of it.

Then she finally spoke, saying he played with fire. Alexius shrugged, "Maybe I do. But you wanted me to speak my mind." So he did. And what did he have to lose? He had Lexus, of course, but he wasn't a child anymore. Alexius did really just want to make people happy. There was little else he could do, was there? Then she went on, speaking of high stakes in a matter like the one they were talking about. 

"I know." Alexius said, "Not that I know why, when joy ought be something anyone should experience. But I know." He paused, picked up his wine, feeling he needed it before he continued. He'd bedded Patrician women before. He once had Cyprianus' sister in the dark corridors under the arena... that was not discrete at all, but it happened... Calpurnia demanded more than that though, he thought. Better than that. Comfort. 

"And I know places that might be safe." He added with a smile, tilting his head. He had to be sure though... and this would have to be planned. It wasn't going to happen right here and right now. The stakes were high, as she said... "The stakes might be high for us both. But you are not offended by my offer then? You have not told me to leave." 

@Chevi

• Haha 1

"I know. Not that I know why, when joy ought be something anyone should experience. But I know."

Alexius spoke of joy, and it made Calpurnia smile. Intimacy, being as restricted among patricians as it was, was not usually described like that. And he was right, about people deserving the experience. She was not yet sure if it actually lived up to the expectations based on poetry and hearsay. But she was curious.

"And I know places that might be safe. The stakes might be high for us both. But you are not offended by my offer then? You have not told me to leave." 

"I asked you to speak your mind" Calpurnia chuckled. She was not going to fault him for doing so. "Alexius, I have achieved everything a Roman woman might hope to achieve. Respect, education, service to the gods. Independence. And I am not a young maiden anymore. At this moment in my life, I can afford to be... curious." She noted. That didn't mean she didn't have to be very, very careful. But privately, she had no moral worries.

Calpurnia picked up a few grapes from a plate, and then looked at him again. "So if we were to meet again, for some friendly conversation" she asked, with an amused glint in her eyes "What kind of places would you suggest we visit?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

He enjoyed the way she smiled and blushed at his words and how could he not? Such a lovely woman, as he told her. He shared how the stakes were high for them both, but he knew safe places for them. Not saying what it was, but they both knew what they were talking about, right? Alexius would gladly make the first steps, actually all the steps besides her showing up, if she was indeed interested in him. So he had to know, had to be sure. Even if she had not told him to leave, she still could. She held much higher rank than he and sometimes even such women were offended by his honesty about certain matters. But she didn't seem to be. She was glad he spoke his mind and then listed everything she had achieved. So much that she thought she could be curious, as she called it.

Alexius downed a bit more of his drink, while he watched her pick up a few grapes and she went on about where they'd meet, should they meet again.

"If we were to meet again, by accident... just like we did today..." Alexius said, "Perhaps a hospitia would be nice. I know a few good places." He knew both cheap places and more expensive places, and he knew places with blind or mute (or both) slaves who would not speak of what they saw.... "They serve meals too. We could share a meal. If we were to meet again. I wouldn't mind if we did." He added with a wink. Gods what was he getting himself into? But she was lovely, so lovely. And so admirable and impressive. How could he deny her? Alexius almost felt smitten by her. For both of their sakes, he hoped it would go away again.

@Chevi

• Haha 1

They understood each other. Calpurnia knew she still had time to changer her mind if she wanted to; but she was curious now. And also wanted to see if Alexius really meant what he proposed.

"If we were to meet again, by accident... just like we did today... Perhaps a hospitia would be nice. I know a few good places."

Of course he would. Calpurnia nodded, chewing on the grapes. If there was a place that was hidden and discreet enough that even her noticeable height wouldn't tip people off...

"They serve meals too. We could share a meal. If we were to meet again. I wouldn't mind if we did." 

"Sharing a meal sounds lovely" Calpurnia noted smoothly, with a twinkle in her eyes as he winked at her. "Well, since you know such places... I will leave it up to you then. To see which one has... the best food." She chuckled "I have to warn you once more, though. My brother was consul last year. I don't have to tell you... what he's capable of if he is displeased with someone."

@Atrice

• Like 1

She would not be the first Patrician lady he slept with, but Calpurnia wasn't like the rest. They were also lovely and sweet, but often also a bit dim-witted and easily persuaded to do something they shouldn't with Alexius. Calpurnia was different. She had led a special life, she had a certain amount of experience and she had a wonderful humor. And they seemed to understand each other, even when speaking like this, with lots of unspoken words between the spoken. It was rare he met someone so easy to talk to. Alexius watched her eat her grapes and thought it alluring. It had to happen. No matter the stakes. He could do this. For her, he would.

Her eyes twinkled when she finally responded, liking the idea of sharing a meal and she would leave it up to him to find a place. But then she warned him again and Alexius nodded.

"I know... I met him once. He's a powerful man." Alexius said, "That's why sharing a meal is a good idea. Perhaps you're just meeting a potential new bodyguard, right? Getting to know him a little better." He added with a smile, "Whether he's worth your while... you can tell him afterwards. After he's done everything he can to prove how much he wants to please you." 

@Chevi

• Haha 1

Calpurnia arched an eyebrow. Alexius had met Aulus. Well... that could be better or worse, depending. She wasn't even sure yet if she wanted to go through the charades of hiring Alexius as a bodyguard at all. She really didn't need one.

"Whether he's worth your while... you can tell him afterwards. After he's done everything he can to prove how much he wants to please you." 

A chill ran down her spine. It was an unknown sensation, but she didn't dislike it. She kept watching Alexius' eyes, his words, but everything about him so far seemed genuine. And Calpurnia was good at reading people.

"Very well then. To see if I would... hire you as a bodyguard, we shall have a longer conversation." She nodded, with a smile playing on her lips. "Send word when you have found the best place to share a meal. Make sure it is good quality. I expect comfort." she added with a broader smile this time.

@Atrice

• Thanks 1

The circumstances during which he met Aulus the now former Consul had been a bit special; it was that special fight and night arranged by the Domus Venus, during which he'd fought Thessala and the Consul would reward the winner of the match. Of course Calpurnia could handle it, if he told her about it, but she didn't ask further into the matter and Alexius made up a story on why they were meeting and how it might turn out. And how could he not mention how much he wanted to please her? Because he did. Touch her lovely curves, trace the lines of her body, shower her with kisses and affection and pleasure until she would think of nothing else but that. He was very genuine.

She continued with their little story, agreeing to it and then stating her own, simple terms. Good quality and comfort. Alexius downed the rest of his wine. It would seem the current conversation was reaching its end.

"I wouldn't offer you anything less." Alexius promised her as he then stood, giving her a warm smile, "Thank you for the wine. And for... being... who you are." He added, reaching down to place a simple, light kiss on both of her cheeks, "I look forwards to our next conversation." He said, as he was down there, and then he stood and gave her a little polite bow and was on his way. He found his way out of the fancy looking house, out onto the Aventine where he inhaled a breath of the fresh air. Gods, that was some kind of woman, wasn't it? So unlike anyone he'd met. And she was no ordinary woman. Both a former Vestal and the sister to a former Consul of Rome. But that was all the façade. The woman beneath all that, that was the woman he already adored and admired. He would find the perfect place. It wouldn't be cheap. But he was certain it would be worth it, and more than anything, worth it for her. She deserved nothing less.

@Chevi 

Finito

• Like 1