You'll never guess what!

Sharpie

January 77AD, a few hours after Juno, bless us

Metella had gone out earlier to pray at the temple of Juno Lucina, with the full blessing of Longinus. Attis was still trying to get his head around the fact that he was going to be a father - the only person in the house who was an equally unlikely paternal figure already had a daughter of ten. He was trying to teach Rugam to lie down and roll over when a commotion from the slaves' side entrance caught his attention, and he turned to see what was going on.

"Oh... Um."

Metella had returned, looking more as if she'd been bathing in the blood of her enemies than praying at the temple of a respectable goddess.

"Who did you murder, and do you need help to dispose of the body?"

@Chevi

• Haha 3

Metella was not the one who had given birth, but she was still bone tired. After the litter had come for Horatia, the lady insisted that one of her servants accompany Metella home instead of walking with the litter - because walking across the Esquiline covered in blood and grime was going to be awkward. The man lent her a cloak, which helped, but she was still far from looking her best once she arrived to the door. She returned the cloak and walked in.

The look on Attis' face was priceless.

"Who did you murder, and do you need help to dispose of the body?"

"This, Attis, is what childbirth looks like." she sighed, looking down at herself. It took her a beat to realize she should elaborate. "Not me. I'm fine. But I just helped deliver a baby at the temple. So. How was your day?"

@Sharpie

• Haha 2

He was fully prepared to help her dispose of her enemies - if he'd learned one thing, it was that he was glad Metella liked him. He could completely believe she was capable of dispatching those she didn't like, or who didn't like her.

She blinked at him and then looked down at herself. Apparently she hadn't realised that bathing in the blood of your foes left some rather obvious traces.

"This, Attis, is what childbirth looks like."

Childbirth? Childbirth - "Oh, no - we haven't...!"

"Not me. I'm fine. But I just helped deliver a baby at the temple. So. How was your day?"

Not me. Not me... Attis sagged against the plain plaster of the wall behind him, and then gaped as the rest ofher words sank in.

"Same as ever - but you can't just waltz in, covered in the blood of your foes and tell me you randomly delivered a baby in a temple. What happened - the goddess was pregnant and you helped deliver the latest addition to the Pantheon?!"

@Chevi

• Like 1

Attis paled, and then looked visibly relieved when Metella reassured him she was fine. It was endearing. The look on her face softened as she realized what had happened, and she walked over to him to take his hand. The dog sniffed at her tunica curiously.

"Same as ever - but you can't just waltz in, covered in the blood of your foes and tell me you randomly delivered a baby in a temple. What happened - the goddess was pregnant and you helped deliver the latest addition to the Pantheon?!"

"No" she chuckled "But close. Come on, help me get out of this."

She pulled Attis along to her room. She needed to get out of the dirty dress, and wash herself clean. And she felt very tired.

"It was the consul's wife" she explained as they went. The dog jogged along. "Well, the previous consul's. The one who's friends with the dominus. I went to the temple of Juno Lucina, and she was there too, to pray, and... well, turns out, she was in labor." It was still hard to believe Horatia had missed the signs.

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"You delivered the consul's wife's baby in a temple."

Consul, ex-consul, whatever. Someone so far above them that it'd be like trying to touch the sun.

"You know, bathing in the blood of your enemies would be a bit more believable!"

Their master was never going to believe her - Attis wasn't quite sure that he did himself, except for the fact that Metella was covered in blood and had been going to the temple. And the consul's wife was pregnant. And it wasn't as if Metella made stories up - and certainly not wild incredible stories like this.

"And how are you?" She looked half done in - Mira would just have to look after Cassia for a bit longer than planned, that was all. Not that looking after Cassia was exctaly hard; it was mostly that she needed entertaining, and adult company when she went out anywhere. At least, from what Attis could tell, though he wasn't an expert on things and had his own duties and chores.

"I've nearly got Ragum trained to shake hands. I'll have to show you when you're more - well, less done in."

@Chevi

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"You delivered the consul's wife's baby in a temple."

"Yep."

"You know, bathing in the blood of your enemies would be a bit more believable!"

"Believe me, I now" Metella chuckled, opening the door to her room. She was bone tired, but also still had he head full of the experience. It sounded surreal, now that it was over. Gods, it had felt surreal back when it was happening.

"And how are you?... I've nearly got Ragum trained to shake hands. I'll have to show you when you're more - well, less done in."

"I... am even less keen on pushing a baby out of my vagina, I'll tell you that much" Metella wrinkled her nose. She was not looking forward to that part at all. She started trying to peel off her tunica. "Also, it turns out, none of the priestesses of Juno Lucina are midwives. I had to do all of it alone. Go figure. You'd think, since they serve the goddess of childbirth..."

@Sharpie

• Like 1

Metella was young. Younger than the Consul's wife, anyway.

Ex-Consul.

Whatever.

Women had been getting pregnant and giving birth for gods knew how long, Metella was far from the first woman to be in this situation - and Longinus had told them that he'd pay for a good midwife for her, and everything.

"I'll get you some water. You might need to burn that tunica, though, I don't think even you will be able to get all the blood out. Though it'd be a good way of threatening people - this is what happens to the people you hate. Or something."

"You look half done in - if you need to rest, I'll make it right with Mira and Cassia." And Longinus, but that went without saying.

@Chevi

• Like 1

Metella managed to wiggle out of her tunica, and left it in a pile on the floor.

"I'll get you some water. You might need to burn that tunica, though, I don't think even you will be able to get all the blood out. Though it'd be a good way of threatening people - this is what happens to the people you hate. Or something."

"Yeah, I don't think it can be salvaged" she noted mournfully. It was not her best tunica, but still. Such a waste. She turned her attention to filling her washing basin with water from a pitcher.

"You look half done in - if you need to rest, I'll make it right with Mira and Cassia."

"Please." she nodded, looking back at Attis over her shoulder. She was not bothered by being undressed around him. They were past that point, which was the entire reason for this situation. "And... um. Dominus might need to be prepared to hear about how I yelled at Juno's priestesses..."

@Sharpie

• Like 1

Attis was unabashedly watching Metella undress - she was a fine-looking woman, he would readily admit that. Even if sex wasn't in the immediate future, he didn't mind the view.

He nearly choked as she spoke over her shoulder.

"You... yelled at Juno's priestesses?!" He shook his head in disbelief. "I think Dominus might buy you a whole new wardrobe when he hears that - it'll make his day."

Right up until he had to make reparations or something for it - on the other hand, they'd have to know which household she belonged to if they wanted to complain to Longinus. He'd probably just bar the door against them anyway.

@Chevi

• Haha 1

The shock on Attis' face was amusing. Metella barely believed that she had done that herself. She chuckled, turning her attention to washing herself.

"You... yelled at Juno's priestesses?! I think Dominus might buy you a whole new wardrobe when he hears that - it'll make his day."

"Well, a woman was giving birth in the sanctuary of the goddess of birth, and they were not lifting a finger to help" Metella huffed. She was still angry about that. Why did those priestesses live there otherwise, anyway? There was no way Juno Lucina was pleased with their behavior. "So, I yelled. Someone needed to do something, or the consul's baby would have landed on the goddamn floor."

@Sharpie

• Haha 1

"Remind me never to make you angry," Attis said, the admiration in his voice clear. "Though I daresay the old biddies deserved every word of it."

She was beautiful when she was angry, Attis would admit that much. She was beautiful anyway - he was very much enjoying the view of her curves as she set to the task of washing the blood splatter from her face and arms. It might have been his imagination, knowing she was with child, but he thought there was a slight thickening at her waistline.

"I'm guessing you were able to catch and the consul's baby didn't land on the floor?"

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Remind me never to make you angry. Though I daresay the old biddies deserved every word of it."

Metella chuckled, thoroughly cleaning herself. She would take a trip to the baths later, when she was less exhausted.

"I'm guessing you were able to catch and the consul's baby didn't land on the floor?"

"Indeed, he did not." she smirked. "The consul's wife was very grateful for that. But I'm telling you, being a midwife, it's not a job for the faint of heart. There was... a whole lot of gore." Even though it had been an easy birth, as much as she understood. Relatively speaking. She glanced over her shoulder. "So, I expect to be treated like the damn Queen of Egypt for the next seven months. And possibly forever after."

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"Would I treat you any other way?" Attis asked, scandalised. "Dominus would have my hide if I didn't - and if he didn't, you would!"

He stepped closer to her, putting a hand on her shoulder to get her attention properly. "I'm proud of you, Metella, I hope you know that."

And... too serious, too much, too... everything.

"I don't think Dominus is likely to treat you like the Queen of Egypt, though." Longinus had taken the news of Metella's pregnancy better than Attis had feared he might - though how he was going to take this latest news was anyone's guess. Attis wanted to see his face when he did - and had the best chance of any of the slaves to manage that.

"I'll let you finish getting washed and dressed," he said, and dropped a kiss on Metella's bare shoulder.

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Would I treat you any other way? Dominus would have my hide if I didn't - and if he didn't, you would!... I'm proud of you, Metella, I hope you know that."

Metella smiled as she looked up at him. She knew he was telling the truth. And, despite what it sounded like, he wasn't just kind to her out of fear. She was proud of herself too. This day... had been a challenge.

"I don't think Dominus is likely to treat you like the Queen of Egypt, though." 

"He will do alright" she nodded. It was not Longinus' job to treat her like that, but as long as he allowed enough comfort and didn't interfere much, things would be fine. She could still do her job.

"I'll let you finish getting washed and dressed,"

Metella smiled as he kissed her shoulder. She turned around, catching him in a hug. She needed the comfort, after the day she'd had. Any maybe the baby was also making her more sentimental. "You'll make a good father, you know what?" she muttered against his shoulder.

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"You'll make a good father, you know what?"

"You've got to be joking," Attis replied, putting his arms around her. A moment later he tipped his head to the side. "Do you really think so? You'll be a wonderful mother, though."

He still didn't know quite what to think about being a father, though if his child had to be a slave, Longinus' household would be a good one to grow up in - there were far worse masters in Rome, after all.

@Chevi

Edited by Sharpie
  • Like 1

Attis wrapped her in his arms, and Metella felt her muscles relax. She was not alone in this. And for all his quirks and his big mouth, Attis really cared. For her, for the baby. She sighed, chuckling a little at his incredulous question.

"Yes. I really think so."

@Sharpie

• Thanks 1