Tourists and Trouble

Sara

"What's your favourite? Maybe at Veneralia I can visit, I think the dominus said we might get that off. Or some of it, anyway." 

"Oh, there are too many to count. It really depends on what you are interested in. But I'd be happy to show you around, if you get a day off" Iophon smiled. He knew it all depended on her dominus, who was likely not in the habit of letting his girls wander around the city. Still, festivals were good occasions. Saturnalia, at least.

"I can take you to him? If you'd like?... It was the earthquake. Or so I was told. It was like this when I came here. But...maybe you could spin it into some heroic tale about the girls of the Elysium being brave?" 

"Now that has potential" Iophon grinned. He could picture it, tales of the bravery of women in the face of disaster. "You know, Rome has its own legends, old old ones, but there is also treasure to be found in the stories of people who live among us."

@Sara

• Like 1

"I'd like that." She said with an easy going smile. Ione wasn't a hard person to get to know, or to talk to. She had an innate desire to be liked, and to get to know others around her. She was still, despite everything, an optimist and that transferred into making friends - even with people who she shouldn't be friends with. Fortunately, Iophon seemed like a good egg through and through. "Where abouts do you live? So I can call by, if it ever happens?" She asked, very forward of her but such was her way. 

She grinned as he did at her suggestion and she gave an air of pride that it wasn't an inherently ridiculous notion. "Do...do you mean the girls themselves could have stories that would be a draw?" She asked, curious. She knew there were stories attached to some of those from the Venus, like Helios the Sun God himself gracing their presence with his flaming gold hair and body of a legend. She frowned, "Eris is here...a girl called Eris. She's as beautiful as her namesake though." What would they say about her? A girl that came from the sea...? That wasn't particularly attractive sounding and knowing Ione, that would only result in men throwing buckets of water over her. 

TAG: @Chevi

• Like 1

"I'd like that. Where abouts do you live? So I can call by, if it ever happens?" 

"Not very far, in an insula on the Esquiline" Iophon gave her some directions that she could follow, should she ever need to find him. But in the end, if everything went well, he was going to come visit the Elysium again anyway, whenever he had the chance to lure visitors in again. The chance, and the agreement with the new owner.

Ione seemed to like the idea of stories.

"Do...do you mean the girls themselves could have stories that would be a draw?... Eris is here...a girl called Eris. She's as beautiful as her namesake though."

"And is she as much trouble?" Iophon asked with a grin. Beauty alone did not a story make. "You said the earthquake hit this place hard... but you arrived after?"

@Sara

• Like 1

She nodded patiently at his instructions, trying to commit them to memory. Although she didn't verbalise it, she wasn't holding out much hope that she'd ever find the place - everywhere in Rome looked the same to her beyond her little corner of the city that she was used to. 

Ione's lips twitched conspiratorially and she arched a brow. "Sometimes. Depending on what a man likes. I'm sure dominus thinks so." Eris was the star of the place which meant she got away with murder. She had most of the guards wrapped around her little finger, and most of the clients too. Ione had never quite figured out how she did it...but then she supposed the confidence....and her magnificent breasts helped. She nodded and glanced mournfully at the cracks sprawling over the upper part of her walls, at his question. "Four or so months ago. It's been like this ever since I was here, but dominus has plans to fix it all." Where Titus couldn't be bothered and didn't have the funds too. "I suppose I'm not much of a draw," She chuckled and tucked a wave of hair behind her ear, "I wasn't here to perform heroics during the tremor and well..." She shrugged. She didn't have the raw magnetism of some of the others. "But that's fine, I don't mind." She added hurriedly - nobody like a self-pitying girl. 

"If you had to think of a story to tell about this place...what would you say?" 

• Like 1

"Four or so months ago. It's been like this ever since I was here, but dominus has plans to fix it all."

Yes. At least the new owner had vision. Or plans. The place was in a sad state, but it had good bones. And much like the girl he was talking to, it had hidden beauty that was going to waste.

"I suppose I'm not much of a draw. I wasn't here to perform heroics during the tremor and well... But that's fine, I don't mind."

She was very shy, for a prostitute. She looked awkward as she pushed some hair behind her ear... like a maiden who was not used to talking to men. It was cute. Didn't seem like an act like the more experienced workers put on.

"If you had to think of a story to tell about this place...what would you say?" 

"Well..." Iophon mused about the answer for a moment, gathering inspiration. "I would say it is a slice of Old Hellas in a hidden corner of Rome. I would say it lives up to its name; whoever finds it, finds an island of light pleasures, being surrounded by the lithe bodies of nymphs and deities straight out of the old myths. I'd tell a story about how not even the earthquake could destroy the place." He chuckled, reaching out to brush her hair. "I would say there is a Nereid gentle like the waves of the ocean on a summer day, soothing and graceful. I would say those who take the time to coax her out of her hiding place with kind words could find her favors most pleasurable."

@Sara

• Like 1

Ione listened, rapt in awe of him as he spoke. She looked younger than her eighteen years as she tucked her knees up and leant her chin on them, eyes widening as he continued to speak, drinking in every word like a woman parched and desperate for water. And then she couldn't help it; tears bubbled in the corners of her eyes and then started to snake down her cheeks in bulbous trails. 

"Nobody," She swallowed and then laughed, her grin broad and genuine as she wiped frantically at her cheeks and eyes until they were red, grinning, "That...was amazing...and nobody, nobody's ever said something that nice about me." She was grinning still and looked genuinely struck my him, naive and awed. She didn't wish to explain to him that nobody that came here bothered to give the whores kind words before they used them, she wanted to grip onto his fantasy; that men could be valiant enough to take the time to woo her before taking her body. 

She gave him a sort of dumb-founded look and then pushed herself to stand with no grace at all, fumbling to untuck her legs as she wobbled to stand over him sat on her bed. "You should see the dominus...say that, exactly that and he'll hire you on the spot I'm sure of it." 

• Like 1

Poor little nymph. Here eyes filled with tears at his words. Other men might have taken advantage of an easy win, but Iophon liked people too much. She was a kind person. 

"Nobody... That...was amazing...and nobody, nobody's ever said something that nice about me." 

"Ask me any time" he smiled, reaching out to wipe a tear from her cheek. This place really needed to be fixed. It needed a better brand of customers.

"You should see the dominus...say that, exactly that and he'll hire you on the spot I'm sure of it." 

"Well, let's go then" Iophon smiled, standing up as she tumbled off the bed. Might as well start the business negotiations while he was here. He followed Ione out of her room (getting some strange looks as they went, no doubt wondering what he was up to), and they headed to the office where the dominus would be found. Hopefully, he was a good businessman.

@Sara @Atrice

• Like 2

Lucius wasn't doing much, it was evening and he was going to return to the hospitia where he stayed soon, and get a good rest tonight. He was still checking out the girls and boys of the brothel though, making sure they were actually useful and good at what they did. And no matter what, as he went through them, he'd know whether they were nice to fuck or if they were going to be the kinds that would get the rougher clientele. Because he did still need to cater to those, despite wanting to improve the reputation of the brothel. It was going to happen slowly though, he could not afford to lose half the patrons overnight, so he had to have something to offer them. And some girls and boys were good. And some were less good and he'd allow those to be given to the rougher men. 

The girl just leaving his office now had been nice. She said her name was Flavia, which suited her blonde hair and the soft skin she had on her body. She had not been too bad. She'd be given to the nicer patrons. Lucius got dressed again, pulling on his breeches to tie them and was just reaching for his tunica, when there was a knock on the old door (that really needed to be fixed too!). He did not feel too pleased with being interrupted just now. He wanted a cup of wine and then he'd look at how things were going at the brothel... and then he'd go and catch his sleep... he pulled the tunica over his head, while looking at the door, "Who is it?" 

@Sara @Chevi

• Like 2

Ione led Iophon hurriedly down the long corridor, past  the other cells containing the girls and boys of the brothel chatting and yearning for business, all the way to the end and the wooden framed door that she'd come to dread. She cast a quick look over her shoulder at Iophon, trying to smile, more for courage for herself than anything else. She inhaled and then knocked quietly. 

She heard the gruff reply and winced. She'd seen Flavia wind her way down the corridor past them which suggested he'd be tired now. And from her experience, men after the throes of passion didn't often want to talk business. Still - she shouldn't keep him waiting and instead pushed open the door, stepping in quickly with her head bowed and eyes on his desk. "Ione, domine." Obviously, you idiot, you're standing in front of him. She bit her lip and then cleared her throat. "I have a client with me domine, I thought you may like to meet him, he told-told me stories of the Elysium and they were so beautiful h-he brings in tourists." She gestured minutely with her hand for Iophon to enter behind her.

TAG: @Chevi @Atrice

• Like 1

Iophon noted the girl leaving the dominus' room. It was not unusual for the owners to use their own girls or boys occasionally, or even to test their skills. It did make a business meeting a little more awkward, though. Ione must have thought the same, but there was no turning back now. She introduced him first. Stepping into the room, ready to take over from her unsure words, Iophon's eyes widened in surprise.

"Lucius?" The mad he'd met a while ago, eating honey cakes, talking about how things stood in Rome. He had been... talking about returning here, with his family.

He was the new owner of the Elysium?...

"Well, the gods sure know how to surprise someone" he said with a friendly smile a moment later. "You own the Elysium?"

@Sara @Atrice

• Like 2

Instead of answering outside the door, it opened and in stepped Ione, replying to his question. Idiot, indeed! Why was she coming now? And didn't she hear the way he asked, didn't she know he was not in the mood for her? But she stood there, clearing her throat and he was just about to ask her to leave if she'd not say more, when she finally spoke of a client he should meet, who told stories about the Elysium. That was kind of strange. But she continued to invite the client inside and in stepped a curly haired man that Lucius had met before. Iophon also recognized Lucius and Lucius nodded with a smirk, "Indeed. Iophon." He replied, letting the other know he had not forgotten the name either. Meanwhile, he was not offering Ione a second glance. Iophon seemed surprised to find him here, but of course, why wouldn't he? Lucius had not told him much the day they met.

"I do now... it's very recent." He added, "But it's been mine before and I am determined to improve its reputation." He never considered that Iophon could aid with that, but now that he recalled their conversation and then with what Ione just said... it made sense...

"Please, take a seat. And forgive my grumpiness before, I didn't expect more company. But... do tell me what Ione is talking about. I hope she's satisfied you well?" 

@Chevi @Sara

• Like 2

Ione glanced almost comically between the two men as they recognised one another. Iophon didn't seem the type to associate with men like her dominus and the confusion was writ large on her face. Still, neither man seemed to notice as they conversed and Ione discretely stepped into the corner. She knew her role in these sorts of scenarios and they didn't involve her taking part in the conversation.

So she stood stock still, wringing her hands and watching Iophon. She didn't raise her eyes to dominus - his mood seemed to be improved since she'd first entered but she wasn't going to push her luck. She bit her lip though at I hope she's satisfied you well. No...but that wasn't through lack of trying. 

TAG: @Chevi @Atrice

• Like 2

Such a small world. Iophon smiled cheerfully; him and Lucius were not friends by any stretch, but it was much easier to conduct these conversations with someone he'd met before. And he seemed like a decent enough person.

"I do now... it's very recent. But it's been mine before and I am determined to improve its reputation." 

"Excellent idea" Iophon nodded. They were already on the right track.

"Please, take a seat. And forgive my grumpiness before, I didn't expect more company. But... do tell me what Ione is talking about. I hope she's satisfied you well?" 

"Oh, absolutely" Iophon nodded smoothly, sitting down. "She's very pleasing company." She pleased him with conversation, but no one needed to know that. "So, as I was telling her, I had an arrangement with the previous owner. You might remember, I work as a guide around the city. Back before... the earthquake" he noted tactfully, instead of saying 'before the brothel had gone to the dogs' "I'd direct travelers in need of a good time to the Elysium. Had a few little anecdotes, a few enticing stories. That practice has fallen to the wayside recently... but there is no reason we couldn't revive it."

@Sara @Atrice

• Like 1

Like the good slave and whore she was, Ione did remain in the room, but stepped into a corner and remained there... quiet and with a downcast look. She pleased him more and more, Ione, even despite that event one of the guards told him about, where she'd stayed the whole night with someone who hadn't paid for it. But the guy had been beaten up afterwards and Ione didn't seem to have any issue with the incident. She worked hard and as soon as the kitchens were ready, she'd be down there too, sometimes. But not all the time. It would be a waste to let her body and her thighs wither away, instead of putting it all to good use with the visitors to the brothel. Like Iophon! It was kind of surprising that a man like him came here, but of course, why not?

Iophon was all smiles and curls at Lucius, even when he asked if Ione satisfied him. Lucius gave a nod to Ione, glad to hear she'd pleased her client. But then his attention returned to Iophon, who told about a previous arrangement with the brothel, where he'd direct travelers to this place.

"There's no reason at all why we shouldn't revive it." Lucius agreed, "That's a very good idea. As long as you don't overcharge, I mean... there's still improvements to be done here." He couldn't afford too much, not yet. He thought it over, how this arrangement might work out, "How about, if you direct travelers and other people here, make sure they know to mention your name. Then you'll be paid for how many people you directed here." Lucius suggested and then smirked, "And maybe get a little benefit besides that, if Ione pleases you so, you can have her again, if she's available. Else, one of the other girls?" 

@Sara @Chevi

• Like 1

"There's no reason at all why we shouldn't revive it. That's a very good idea. As long as you don't overcharge, I mean... there's still improvements to be done here." 

"Oh, for sure. I know you have plans to make this place much better" Iophon smiled at Lucius. He had read him as a shrewd businessman, and he was not here to scam him out of any money anyway. He was merely seeking a mutually beneficial arrangement. And maybe a way to make this place a little less crap for those who worked in it. Iophon did have a soft spot for people like Ione.

"How about, if you direct travelers and other people here, make sure they know to mention your name. Then you'll be paid for how many people you directed here. And maybe get a little benefit besides that, if Ione pleases you so, you can have her again, if she's available. Else, one of the other girls?"

"We can agree on a payment per person, for sure" Iophon nodded. "And as your improvements take place, I'd be happy to help with some extra boost of stories by commission. As for Ione, I do enjoy her company. But alas, I need money more than I need company, I'm sure you understand" he raised his hands "The life of a free-swimming storyteller, I'm afraid. But that is not to say I won't occasionally take advantage of your hospitality..." He liked her well enough, and he was sure she wanted a break of just talking, sometimes. "How much do you charge now, from the visitors?"

@Atrice

• Like 1