Priorities

Chevi

She smirked at  him and flipped her hair over her shoulder as he led her away from the Venus. She was giving up valuable custom, but few men would likely want to go in for a screw whilst the building next door was still smouldering. She just hoped the fire had put off the dull Senator from her bed, for good. 

"I've been fine. Same old." She chuckled and then shook her head, "But you...I want to talk about you..." She smirked to herself.

"You know I have to say something Lucius, it pains me to, but I do..." She sighed dramatically and turned her face up to his, "You are...a terrible vigile. Swanning off for drinks with women like me whilst undoubtedly another part of our beloved city is in flames." She clutched her hand to her chest in mock horror, "However could you do such a thing and abandon your people so?" 

TAG: @Chevi

Edited by Sara
  • Haha 1

"I've been fine. Same old. But you...I want to talk about you..." 

"Uh-oh" Lucius chuckled. Vibia was back to her flirtatious self. At least she was clear on Lucius not having any money. He hoped.

"You know I have to say something Lucius, it pains me to, but I do... You are...a terrible vigile. Swanning off for drinks with women like me whilst undoubtedly another part of our beloved city is in flames. However could you do such a thing and abandon your people so?" 

"It's called a shift" he grinned at her "You just took yours off, and mine just ended. Fires are not my problem until dawn tomorrow."

@Sara

• Like 1

"I don't work shifts." She gave him a small smile, "Just when I want. And when it's busy." And when she was instructed to. She might have been a freedwoman but she still had rules to follow and bosses to please.

"Fine, fine...I'll remind you of that if we walk past a burning building." She grinned and then narrowed her eyes on him. "And how have you been? And what  have you been doing? And what was I right about? And how many attractive men do you work with?" She hoped the barrage of questions might overwhelm him enough that he answered truthfully. 

• Haha 1

"Fine, fine...I'll remind you of that if we walk past a burning building."

He knew he would not walk past that building, and she knew it too. Shifts or not, Lucius took his job seriously. Especially with idiot centurions running around protecting property instead of people.

"And how have you been? And what  have you been doing? And what was I right about? And how many attractive men do you work with?" 

"I have been doing great" he laughed at her barrage of questions. "Survived my first Saturnalia with the vigiles. People really like to set things on fire when they are drunk..." he shrugged. "Some are more attractive than others. My friend Titus is quite handsome. Shall I introduce him to you?"

@Sara

• Haha 1

"I don't know, is he rich?" She smirked at him and then gave him a smug little smile. 

"I've underestimated you...you evidently have brains as well as beauty," She chuckled and hitched up the hem of her tunica as they crossed some puddles, "But being coy doesn't suit you. What would be so awful of you to admit that you're avoiding my questions...what was I right about?" She tapped her finger to her chin, trying to dredge up memories of their parting conversation. "Something about your adoption, perhaps?" 

• Like 1

"I don't know, is he rich?" 

"Hah, no" Lucius shook his head with a laugh "But he is attractive."

"I've underestimated you...you evidently have brains as well as beauty. But being coy doesn't suit you. What would be so awful of you to admit that you're avoiding my questions...what was I right about? Something about your adoption, perhaps?" 

Lucius gave her a sheepish look. He had already told more people about his feelings - or confusion thereof - than he should have. Namely, two. Alexius and Titus. He trusted both with his life, quite literally, but he was fairly sure Ovinia's family deities would strike him dead if he ever told about her to his "prostitute friend."

"I... can't really talk about it. Just take the compliment, hm?"

@Sara

• Like 1

The sheepish look suitably intrigued her and she narrowed her eyes on him. Vibia was many things, chief amongst them - aside from being a prostitute - was that she was a seller of secrets. Well...not seller, so much as a forced party required to give secrets to keep breath in her body. It had been years since she'd landed in Rome and the Venus, but her directions from the Collegium hadn't ever wavered; get an inside look at the running of the Syndicate...and pass on any useful intelligence about the elites of Rome. 

Lucius had been the latter, not that he'd told her anything particularly valuable, but now she was intrigued. "I'm more determined than you give me credit for, sweet Lucius." She gave him a winning smile. "Who am I going to tell?" She rolled her eyes dramatically, "Do you imagine my clients would care to hear about your gossip when they're in my bed? It may shock you, but they're usually otherwise distracted." Her smile became more impish as she studied  him. "So not the adoption...women? You were complaining about somebody last time..." 

• Like 1

Lucius was a lot of things, but he was not a great liar. He considered that a virtue, but sometimes, it did get annoying. So, he told Vibia he couldn't talk about it. She wasn't deterred.

"I'm more determined than you give me credit for, sweet Lucius. Who am I going to tell? Do you imagine my clients would care to hear about your gossip when they're in my bed? It may shock you, but they're usually otherwise distracted."

He smirked at her bragging. She could probably tell a whole lot of people. Lucius wouldn't have minded if it had just been his own reputation. But it was Ovinia's too. And hers was a lot more fragile.

"So not the adoption...women? You were complaining about somebody last time..." 

Dammit.

"Yeah, that's all done now." he shrugged, trying to put on his most convincing face. "This is really not as exciting as you are expecting it to be. I just don't want to talk about it."

@Sara

• Like 1

Vibia watched him with the careful, assessing gaze that somebody whose whole profession was to understand people. Sure, her profession was about understanding far baser desires than what was likely on his mind, but it had taught her invaluable lessons in how to read people. He was clearly uncomfortable, which was interesting, but she suspected not because he chose to break off anything he had going. What was the girl's name again...? 

"Fine," She rolled her eyes - deciding to play along for the moment. She'd resume her questioning after a few drinks, she could be patient when the need arose, "Have it your way. But you have to tell me, are you a sad, mopey heartbroken man? Or one who wants a distraction? Because that's what I'm assuming you mean by that's all done now...?Fine...just one more question.

• Like 1

Lucius really hoped she would leave the question alone. He did not like to be cornered.

"Fine. Have it your way. But you have to tell me, are you a sad, mopey heartbroken man? Or one who wants a distraction? Because that's what I'm assuming you mean by that's all done now...?"

"I am not sad or heartbroken." he sighed, smirking at her. She was good at this game. No doubt people told her more than they realized. "... Maybe a little mopey. And a distraction is always very welcome..."

@Sara

• Like 1

"Well," She said with a sly smirk and a glance flicked up to him, "Fortunately for you I'm very good at distractions. Unfortunately I'm not a charity." she chuckled. She slept with men because she enjoyed their company very rarely. She could probably count those partners on one hand, actually. It remained to be seen if Lucius would join their ranks, but it never hurt to keep a man hoping. "But...depending on how nice to me you are, and how irritatingly mopey, I might be persuaded to make an exception." 

She wound her arm around her waist as they walked, the chill of the February evening blanching her already pale skin. "Where is this place anyway? And am I to presume it's some sort of hovel?" 

• Haha 1

"Well. Fortunately for you I'm very good at distractions. Unfortunately I'm not a charity."

"Oh, I'm aware" he grinned. He had paid his dues to Vibia, back before he left the ranks of the patricians. He knew exactly how expensive she was. And that she was worth it.

"But...depending on how nice to me you are, and how irritatingly mopey, I might be persuaded to make an exception."

"Stringing me along, are you?" he quirked an eyebrow at her. He doubted she'd ever make that kind of exception. But at least she was not asking about Ovinia anymore. And if he had to choose between a girl who was forever out of his reach, and one that was expensive... well. He did not want to think about that.

"Where is this place anyway? And am I to presume it's some sort of hovel?" 

"Right over there" he nodded. Down the street there was the door of a popina with a colorful sign. It was quaint in its own way; clean, and friendly, with colorful paintings inside on the walls. Not too crowded, thank the gods. The man behind the counter flashed Lucius a smile as they walked in. "Having a guest tonight, Lucius?" "Only if you can treat the lady to decent wine" Lucius grinned, looking around for a free table.

@Sara

• Like 1

"I would never." She grinned at his face and gave him a smug look. She had been putting on an act for so many years she wasn't quite sure if this Vibia was the same as the one who had entered the Domus Venus' doors those years ago. Had she always been keen to play games? Probably. Fortunate then, that Lucius didn't know how dark her games had gotten in the past.

She followed him into the popina and a few men glanced her way. Standard fare for a woman with white blonde hair and a figure like hers. She returned beaming smiles at all of them. The man behind the bar flourished a bow and smirked at her; "But of course. I'll bring it over." Vibia inclined her head and moved languidly to a free table, sprawling herself on a seat in the corner of the room which gave her the best vantage point of the entire place. "You know, I hope this is free. I heard I'm getting quite popular on the walls of Rome. You should tell him you're with a celebrity." She tilted her head to the side, "Or are you a celebrity in your own right, with your adoption?" 

• Haha 1

"I would never." 

She most definitely would

"But of course. I'll bring it over."

Lucius let Vibia choose the table and they took their seats. It was a good choice, and kept them at a comfortable distance from the other patrons.

"You know, I hope this is free. I heard I'm getting quite popular on the walls of Rome. You should tell him you're with a celebrity. Or are you a celebrity in your own right, with your adoption?" 

"Celebrity is not the word I would use. But I'd say people definitely know your name." he grinned "Although I have gotten a few notes on the walls myself. But not because of the adoption."

@Sara

• Like 1

"Oh?" She quirked her brow at him and gave a wry little smile. "What word would you use?" 

She had never had the opportunity to learn to read as a slave, and had very little interest in learning now she was a freedwoman. It seemed like a lot of work when she could just send a boy running with a message. She was curious though, about the walls. She recognised her name (after one of her co-workers pointed it out), and as she'd been swanning round the city, had seen more and more. One was attached to a drawing which, in Vibia's estimation, was a poor likeness. "And what were they about then? Enlighten me?" 

• Like 1

"Oh? What word would you use?" 

"Notorious?" he smirked. They had had this conversation before. The wine arrived, watered just enough, with two clean cups. Lucius poured for the both of them.

"And what were they about then? Enlighten me?" 

Lucius looked at Vibia. He wondered if she could read. It would have been surprising if she did, although some expensive companions were quite well educated.

"Well, I'd say equal parts about your beauty and your skills. Mostly from men who can't afford either." he grinned. "I am fairly sure I have seen some marriage offers too."

@Sara

• Like 1

She grinned in amusement and shook her head, rolling her eyes. "You'll have to warn me when some other woman's name starts to overtake mine in terms of popularity." She took a sip of the wine. Not bad. "And the names of men who wish to marry me." She was not stupid, she knew her value at the Venus was diminishing by the day. What she didn't know was what the Collegium had planned for her afterwards. Her years in the house of love had not been altogether that successful for them, and she didn't doubt they'd happily replace her with another, younger, more beautiful and desperate woman. She had to think of her options...which weren't particularly exciting. 

"But I meant, what were they writing about you on the walls?" She narrowed her eyes at him and took another sip.

• Haha 1

"You'll have to warn me when some other woman's name starts to overtake mine in terms of popularity. And the names of men who wish to marry me." 

The walls of Rome were full of names. In all kinds of contexts. Politics, sex, racing, gladiators, sex, selling things, sex, selling sex... anyway, Vibia was definitely a favorite. Not that many other women didn't get mentions, but he was not about to point that out to her.

"But I meant, what were they writing about you on the walls?"

"Well, the usual. Some people want to fuck me, and some people think I'm a right bastard." he smirked. One person in particular, anyway. "But hey. You'd actually marry one of those guys? Or are you just collecting references?"

@Sara

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"The usual." She commiserated with a smirk and a sip of her wine. 

"Why not?" She leant back in her chair and moved so one of her legs was artlessly draped over his thigh under the table. "A man to take care of me, buy me pretty things...what's not to like about that?" She queried with mock shock. Lots of things. She shook her head with a roll of her eyes. "Don't worry, don't worry, I'm not off to get married..." Nobody would have her anyway, she knew that. Respectable men couldn't countenance the thought and disreputable men couldn't afford her tastes. "Maybe the kept girlfriend of one though? In a nice little domus all to myself...plenty of room for visitors?" 

• Like 1

Lucius knew that sex workers, even the expensive and free ones like Vibia, did not spend their entire lives at the brothels. Their job hinged upon their youth and attractiveness, which meant that eventually they had to find... something else to do. Marriage was probably not a viable option for most, though. And honestly he could not picture Vibia married.

"Why not? A man to take care of me, buy me pretty things...what's not to like about that?... Don't worry, don't worry, I'm not off to get married..."

"Oh I'm not worried." Lucius grinned as she draped a leg over his. His hand under the table ran along her thigh over the fabric of her dress. "I was just trying to picture what that would look like."

"Maybe the kept girlfriend of one though? In a nice little domus all to myself...plenty of room for visitors?" 

"Well, if you can catch yourself a rich enough man, that sounds ideal" he chuckled. "It wouldn't be the first case in Rome, I bet. For men, anyway..."

Dammit, he wasn't even drinking yet.

@Sara

• Like 1

"And tell me what you picture." she prompted with an impish smile and an arched brow that was full of her usual flirtation. 

Her unusually bright blue eyes narrowed though at his words. She chuckled nonetheless and tipped her head to the side, studying him; "Do you imagine some well off women have harems of lovers at their beck and call?" She sipped her wine and shook her head at the thought, "Slaves, maybe, that they've trained to be discrete, but I know Roman matrons and that is not in their wheelhouse. Even the most fun among them, and I've met the fun ones." She let the image sit on his head before chuckling, "What do you think I should do with my future, sweet Lucius?" 

• Like 1

"Oh I was picturing you as a respectable matron, sitting at home and weaving and stuff." Lucius grinned. Matrons didn't really weave anymore like in the olden days, they had slaves for that. But it was an amusing image.

On the other hand, she had the option of being the lover of a less respectable Roman senator.

"Do you imagine some well off women have harems of lovers at their beck and call?"

"Do they?"

"Slaves, maybe, that they've trained to be discrete, but I know Roman matrons and that is not in their wheelhouse. Even the most fun among them, and I've met the fun ones."

"Well, too bad. I was sure some have lovers at least." He did not really want to think much about that. It was no use doing so.

"What do you think I should do with my future, sweet Lucius?" 

"Oh, I wouldn't want to give you advice" he grinned, shaking his head. He was grateful for the change of topic. He drank some of the wine, and noted it was actually decent. "But I would imagine you'd run your own house, maybe?"

@Sara

• Like 1

Well that was interesting. She didn't miss the slight lilt of what sounded like hope in his voice. What was that prissy girl's name? The one from the party? She tried to dredge it up from her memories but Lucius was already onto another topic. One for later, perhaps. She couldn't finish that conversation though without one final quip; "If you're looking for lovers you'd be in high demand at the Venus, as I've said before." 

She grinned and shifted so both her legs were now over his knee. She knew how to be discrete though, and kept the view from the patrons by keeping it under the table. Most bar owners were fine for women to fish for business in their establishments, but no more than that. "My own house? You mean my own brothel?" She shrugged. That was a natural next step and she sighed; "Again, I'd need a rich patron for that. And one of the collegia to be fine with a newcomer setting up shop in their industry." That wasn't saying too much - everybody knew the collegia owned the women in the brothels of Rome. "Know anybody that might want to invest?" 

• Like 1

"If you're looking for lovers you'd be in high demand at the Venus, as I've said before." 

Lucius smirked and rolled his eyes at her. The vigiles were bad enough, without adding that to his future career. Although it was fun to imagine Gaius' face. Vibia shifted again and now she had both her legs in his lap. He rested his hand on her knee.

"My own house? You mean my own brothel? Again, I'd need a rich patron for that. And one of the collegia to be fine with a newcomer setting up shop in their industry. Know anybody that might want to invest?" 

"I just burned those bridges" he shrugged. He was fresh out of rich friends. "What would you want to do? If you had your choice?"

@Sara

• Like 1

"I think you're being modest." She gave him a disbelieving look, "Am I to think you don't socialise with anybody rich these days? Not even those silly boys from the party at the Palace?" There was a slew of noble young men there that evening, including several she'd never met. One of them, the lucky one that she'd taken back to the Venus, had been terrible in bed but his coin purse suggested he might be worth her time after all.

His question gave her pause for thought though. Usually she'd come out with some flippant remark about wanting to be the best lover in Rome for the rest of her days, but she knew Lucius was unlikely to buy that and he did seem genuinely interested. It wasn't as if she had to put on a show for him either, given that he wasn't going to get anything. "Music, probably. Maybe for the theatre." She shrugged. "That's the problem with being beautiful - everybody is just looking at me, rather than listening to my music." She added with a little bit of flippancy and amusement. "I want to be remembered." She added finally with a glance in his direction. "Infamous, maybe. You?" 

• Like 1