A Day of Culture

Sara

Alexius listened to her talk about these other young men she knew, kind of happy to know Lucius was not the only young man she had in her life, although probably the only one she'd kissed. Judging by what she told about Tiberius and Marcus, that did seem to be the case. She had friends high up, didn't she? An Imperial Prince of Rome, that was quite something. And he was sweet, apparently, while the one named Marcus was more amusing to her than anything else.

"Maybe you should take care of both of those friendships. You never know when it'll be handy to know them." Alexius knew people from all layers of society in Rome and he definitely thought it was very handy and convenient to know all kinds of people. Plus maybe that's part of why he was so easy to talk to, for anyone. He was used to talking to them all. And that was definitely not a bad trait, right?

They came to a thermopolia and Alexius instantly offered that she could sit and he could fetch them something to eat and drink. But then he noticed how she stopped and looked around, seeming almost confused or bewildered and he realized it was wrong of him to suggest it. Maybe he should stay close to her. She just seemed so much at ease with him, that he almost forgot what happened. But this was a reminder. And he had to watch over her. Right now it was his responsibility. And he would not fail her. But then she said she could find a place to sit and handed him some coins to buy food for.

"Are you sure? We can also walk together to get the meal... if you're uncomfortable." Alexius said, concerned, but she was already moving to sit down... well that was her answer and her choice, he supposed... "I won't be long." Alexius then promised her and hurried over to buy two bowls of the stew they had and asked if someone could help him bring over the flask with watered wine for them too. He couldn't carry everything on his own, after all. Then he turned to return to her.

@Sara

• Like 1

She nodded as he said he wouldn't be long and took her seat. People gave her curious looks which she batted away with glares and frowns. She wound her arms around her chest in a look that said just how deeply uncomfortable she was. Lucia, her slavegirl, stood to the side behind her mistress keeping diligent watch but it didn't make her feel much better. Lucia had been with her that day too - and had been whipped for leaving her, not that Ovinia blamed her. She'd only been a few paces ahead and the man had come from nowhere. She felt her anxiety increase, and gripped the skin of her arms with her nails, leaving little crescent imprints. She was breathing more deeply and Lucia cast her a concerned glance, taking a step nearer; "Domina..." but then Alexius was coming back.

She saw him draw nearer, two bowls of stew in his hand and being trailed by a sour looking slave boy with a flash of wine. She let out a shuddering breath and stood up to greet him. How on earth had sitting alone for all of five minutes made her feel so nervous? So afraid? She felt pathetic and wondered if it showed on her face as she turned to greet her friend with a weak, wavering smile. "I'm sorry..." She winced as she withdrew to her seat agin, "I get...nervous these days. Never used to I...hope it passes soon." The nightmares hadn't passed, so she doubted the fear of the crowds and being alone would either. She let out a shaky breath and turned her attention to the food, trying to distract herself. "What...is this?" 

TAG: @Atrice

• Sad 1

Ovinia quickly stood when she saw Alexius return with the bowls with food and the watered wine. He set the things down on the table and the slaveboy behind him did too. Alexius thanked him, which clearly seemed to surprise the boy, but then he went back to work and Alexius' attention was on Ovinia, who didn't seem alright anymore. She gave him a weak smile and sat down, said she was sorry that she got so nervous and she hoped it would pass. Alexius looked at her with a sigh, while she let out a shaky breath. Then he sat down across from her, but reached a hand out to grasp hers while he looked at her, "It's no wonder you get nervous, Ovinia, after what you experienced. You don't have to apologize." Alexius said, concerned, and gave her a small smile, "But you have nothing to worry about, when you're with me. I won't leave your side again." He promised and then let go of her hand to pour them both the wine.

"It's the stew of the day I guess." Alexius took a spoonful of it, "Something with lentils I think... and a nice broth." He smiled, this was not the worst thermopolia meal, "Maybe you'll feel a little better after you've eaten. And then we'll move on with the day." 

@Sara

• Like 1

She still felt the need to apologise, even if he said she shouldn't. This wasn't her. Ovinia Camilla from before the attack would have merrily revelled in being the centre of attention in the Forum, parading herself through crowds and flashing flirtatious smiles at those she passed...but not anymore. Of course, she could still put on the show when required (she was an eligible, single, young Praetor's daughter, after all, and therefore required to make a show of herself every now and then despite objections), but it didn't seem to come so naturally. She'd become more reserved and it was...well...embarrassing. 

"Do you promise?" She quirked her brow at his statement that he'd never leave her side. "You might get awfully bored of the ladies lunches and shopping trips if you never leave me." She was trying to inject some humour back in their day as the panic began to subside from her body.

She watched him take a bite first to watch his reaction. Passable, judging by his words. She nodded. She probably would feel better with something in her stomach, she'd barely eaten that morning out of nerves and so took a spoonful. It was too salty and she wrinkled her nose, but her stomach grumbled in protest at the thought she wouldn't finish it. "You can tell me honestly," She said with a smile when she'd finished a mouthful, "Are you bored of the Temples? I'd planned two more before the library but if you'd rather do something else, we can. I know it was my day but..." she shrugged, "I do want you to enjoy it too..." 

• Like 2

Alexius smiled when she attempted to make a joke about how he'd get bored, if he would not leave her side ever... and since she was in the mood to joke, probably an attempt to brighten up the mood, Alexius knew he had the perfect response to her, even if she might not want to hear it. But there it was, anyway, "How would I be bored with ladies?" He said with a grin and Alexius had then tasted the food, to see if it was good. 

Ovinia seemed to wait with tasting it, to see what he thought and then she took a spoonful. Alexius chuckled when she wrinkled her nose, she probably wasn't used to food like this, and he was about to suggest that Melissa's place served better stew than this, but then she began talking of boring the temples might be to him and she wanted him to enjoy the day too.

"I think I may enjoy the temples more than the shopping." Alexius said with another smile after he'd eaten his next spoonful, "But if you'd rather show me the library, that's fine too. If you're so fond of it. It is your day." He added and continued eating. She could decide what they should do. He would be here for her, no matter what she chose, because that's what he did. Maybe he should introduce her to Lexus someday, let him see that it wasn't every woman he met that ended up in his bed. And that some women liked spending time with him despite not sharing pleasure with him. That might be good for his son to see. And maybe they would even get along?

@Sara

• Like 1

It was her day and she smirked at him as she took another small bite of the stew. She was polite and had manners and beyond wrinkling her nose she wasn't going to admit that she really did not like the taste. She'd suffer a few more mouthfuls and then discreetly push the bowl away, despite her stomach growling in protest at the thought. 

"I just don't want to bore you..." She offered, thinking selflessly for once. Besides, learning that Alexius couldn't really read had sort of put a damper on much of the excitement she had for the library...although not all of it. She didn't want him to feel bad. But she reasoned with her slave girl there for entertainment, and the adoration he was likely  to attract from the crusty old Senators there who used to watch him fight, he'd enjoy it more than a dank, dark temple. "Let's go to the library then," She said as she pushed the bowl away as predicted, "And we can do the temples afterwards. Knowing our mutual friend he's likely to be there already." She rolled her eyes. Lucius was nothing if not inconveniently prompt. 

As Alexius continued to eat she sipped her wine, giving herself some fortitude. This was supposed to be a fun day, why did she feel like she was about to walk into the lions den? She drained the rest of the cup of wine and gestured at Lucia to attend and fix her hair as she glanced at Alexius. "Ready?" 

• Like 1

Alexius had almost forgotten they were supposed to meet Lucius at the library. So much had happened since he and Ovinia left her home and until now, where they were eating and she seemed to relax again. Not much though, he noticed how she pushed the food away and wondered if she just wasn't hungry or maybe didn't like it. She was probably used to finer foods, what with her upbringing and her rank. Alexius was used to this and it wasn't the worst to be had. She said she didn't wish to bore him, but did seem to want to go to the library. It was then he recalled what she said earlier, when she mentioned their 'mutual friend', and actually he was curious to see how Lucius and Ovinia would act together, when they were out in public. Alexius knew they'd kissed. He knew they liked each other, even if Ovinia didn't dare to say it. But he was being a good friend now, not spilling the beans to Ovinia about what he knew. Lucius would prefer it that way, Alexius was sure of that. 

Alexius finished his bowl of stew, every last bite, while Ovinia emptied her wine, "I'm always ready." Alexius promised her with a grin, but stood and gestured for her to show the way to the library. Not a place he ever had to go to before. Today was a lot of trying new things, wasn't it? And maybe he would be interested in the books after all... no, who was he fooling? He was so bad at reading, the little he learned after he was freed, he'd forgotten half of it already. He guessed he'd be easily distracted. So why bother?

Instead he followed Ovinia, while they walked and discussed various safe topics of conversation, like the food and the Forum and if Alexius had seen any interesting matches in the arena lately. Easy topics no one would be upset over, just to pass time until they reached the infamous library.

@Sara @Chevi

• Like 2

The walk over to the library helped the memories of being left alone drift away until she was laughing and smiling and the nerves had settled. Alexius was charming, she had always known that, but she could see why so many women enjoyed his company, and she was sure from all of his inferences that he was more skilled at other pursuits than conversation. She tried not to think about that and instead cleared her throat as they drew to the portico around the library. 

"I've never been in." She glanced up at the looming building and the men shuttling between that and surrounding buildings. "But I look fine, don't I?" she glanced at Alexius suddenly unsure of herself, both because she feared being judged by those inside and because...well, despite inviting Lucius here as a friend, she was determined to look her very best. Tertius, her brother, had told her the library was a prim and proper place but others she knew used it as a discreet meeting spot...which was perfect really given her present company and the man they were meeting. 

"Let's go." She said with a quick exhale having summoned some courage. She held her skirts above her calves as she climbed the steps and entered the cool sanctuary of the library. She blinked into the dim light - with the pillars and statuettes up the steps leading  to a second level. Everywhere she looked there were stacks and stacks of scrolls and codices. "It's beautiful." she breathed. "I think we're in the Latin section, there's Greek books over there." She gestured to another wing, the gold-trimmed palla jangling as she gestured. 

TAG: @Atrice @Chevi

• Like 2

It was a little ironic that one of the most popular meeting places in Rome, the great library attached to the temple of Apollo on the Palatine, featured the statues of forty-nine women who murdered their husbands. While it sounded like the opposite of a romantic setting, "under the Danaids" was known among the city's wealthy youth as a great place to take a walk and have a chat. And also, the library was a great place too.

Lucius had been a little surprised to receive Ovinia's message about a "friendly meeting" with her and Alexius. They had mended fences since the writing-on-walls incident, but still... it was bound to be a little awkward. He was off duty today, so he cleaned up the best he could, wearing a dark blue tunica. He arrived to the library early, wandering around, taking a walk along the black stone statues of the Danaids in the portico. He just turned the corner when he notices Alexius and Ovinia walking in. Alexius was hard to miss with his height, and Ovinia... looked like she was dressed for an evening party. She was accompanied by her slave girl, as usual, but no grumpy bodyguard.

Lucius walked up the stairs after them and entered the library.

"It's beautiful. I think we're in the Latin section, there's Greek books over there."

"The Greeks are that way" Lucius noted, stepping around to join them. "Geography is over there, law is that way... poetry is up there." he nodded, flashing a grin at the both of them. "Good to see you again, Alexius. Ovinia." Gods, the woman was effortlessly beautiful. "You look great. I mean, well." He cleared his throat and nodded to Lucia too; she'd done a few favors for them in the past. "Lucia."

@Sara @Atrice

Edited by Chevi
  • Haha 2

They finally reached the library and Alexius was happy that he had made Ovinia laugh and smile on the way. There was nothing he wanted more with a woman in his company, but to make them smile and forget a bit about how harsh life could be sometimes. And the gods knew Ovinia especially needed to forget that a bit! So here they were and he looked up at the steps toward the building. Then Ovinia revealed she’d never been inside. Alexius gave her a look, really? After all her talk of it and she’d never been in?

And then she was suddenly very aware of herself and sounded unsure when she asked about her appearance. Alexius chuckled, “Do you really have to ask that? Didn’t I already tell you how stunning you look?” He asked and then she gained whatever courage she had to gain, to climb the steps and walk inside, with Alexius and her lovely slavegirl in tow.

Alexius looked around as she did the same, taking in the room and the size of it and everything that was there. So many scrolls… and there were people here, but it wasn’t too crowded. She spoke of where various things were and then they were interrupted as Lucius suddenly appeared. Alexius smiled at him, considering Lucius among his friends now and then Lucius complimented Ovinia too. Alexius had to suppress a grin at the way Lucius cleared his throat.

“See Ovinia, I told you there’s nothing wrong with your looks.” Alexius said to her with a wink. This was the first time he had been in the same room as these two, but that didn’t mean he’d change anything about his behavior with any of them.

“It’s good to see you too, Lucius. And here, even. Do you enjoy reading like Ovinia does? I admit it’s not my strongest skill.” Which Lucius knew and Ovinia too, kind of anyway. She understood more than she said, he was sure. And while he knew many things about Lucius and Ovinia, but he didn’t know everything. He knew they liked each other though. But that they tried hard not to. That was often easier said than done though and they were both young.

@Sara @Chevi

• Like 1

She heard Lucius before she saw him and cleared her throat. Of course the first  thing he'd say was a correction. She suppressed the urge to roll her eyes. She knew Alexius and he were friends, or...professional acquaintances at the very least given they were working at pace to find the man who had...assaulted her. She hadn't realised quite how friendly they were though and she watched the interaction with interest. She managed to smother an awkward laugh at his compliment though with a cough of her won and an arm wound over her belted waist. "I...I'm fine. I'm feeling well." She replied neutrally, although that was a lie.

This was fine. They were friends. This was fine...up until Alexius made his comment. She returned his wink with a glare of her own that could have melted ice and a tight little smile. She turned to Lucius with an explanation. "I didn't know if green was still in fashion this season, I asked Alexius' advice when we were shopping." That was not what happened, but he didn't need to know that. 

She turned to Lucius with a quirked brow as Alexius posed his question. She couldn't imagine him as much of a reader, but then he seemed to know the niche history and mythology lessons she'd ignored as a girl. She jerked her head that their little group should move off away from the busy atrium and into the depths of the library. "I know you're not much of a reader Alexius, that's why I offered my services to read to you." She grinned, "And this is my day." Realising Lucius wouldn't understand she quickly explained; "Alexius lost a bet. And has to do as I say." That didn't sound wrong at all.

TAG: @Chevi @Atrice

• Haha 2

Well, the greeting did not go very smoothly, but it was close enough. Friends meeting friends, right? At least Alexius was the kind of easygoing, likable person who could mitigate the awkwardness.

“See Ovinia, I told you there’s nothing wrong with your looks.” 

Or not.

"I didn't know if green was still in fashion this season, I asked Alexius' advice when we were shopping."

"Good choice. I value Alexius' fashion advice" Lucius nodded with a deadpan expression, but an amused glint in his eyes. Typical Ovinia, making  a big deal out of nothing. She wanted to know if she looked good. She did. Was it for him? Lucius did not dare to assume that. His looked softened a little anyway. "Green does look good on you." Everything did. Nothing probably did, too.

“It’s good to see you too, Lucius. And here, even. Do you enjoy reading like Ovinia does? I admit it’s not my strongest skill.”

"I know you're not much of a reader Alexius, that's why I offered my services to read to you. And this is my day... Alexius lost a bet. And has to do as I say." 

"So you are punishing him with the library?" Lucius grinned, mostly at Alexius. "I do like to read. There is always something interesting to learn... But I also like coming here for the atmosphere. And the company. What were you two planning on reading?"

@Atrice @Sara

• Haha 2

Ovinia was skilled, she knew how to play pretend, but Alexius thought he knew her by now and the way she responded to Lucius and wound an arm over her waist told him, that she was feeling awkward and holding something back. But Lucius was greeting her with his own awkward compliment and Alexius couldn’t help but add to it, which earned him a glare from Ovinia. Alexius smiled innocently, why could he not speak to her like he used to? Was it because of Lucius? She didn’t want to be seen as a fool, of course. Alexius told himself to stay quiet unless he had to speak, else he’d just say something stupid.

Then she went on about fashion and Alexius’ advice and he decided it was best to just remain silent, although Lucius might be able to read his look. As if he could give fashion advice to anyone, Lucius probably knew by now that it was not his thing at all. And Lucius did seem amused, but then continued to compliment her. Gods how did she not respond to that? Lucius clearly adored her. Alexius knew that, of course, but seeing how Lucius was with her, made it more real.

He wondered if Lucius was much of a reader and Ovinia chimed in, saying she’d read to him and explained to Lucius that Alexius lost a bet and had to do as she said. That earned her a look from him… really? Why was she trying to appear so vain and arrogant suddenly? But Lucius was unaffected, just answering Alexius’ question. Alexius decided to ride that wave instead, it seemed like the safe choice. Just play along.

“I have no idea about her plans now we’re here. Other than that she told me we were meeting you. What did you plan to read to me, Ovinia? You know that listening to you read will be my greatest joy today.” He almost said something about not having any choice, as he ‘had to do as she said’, but he was determined to not say more stupid things that would embarrass either of them. Not that he was too fond of how she worded that. She could have said it more elegantly.

@Sara @Chevi

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If Alexius thought she was being vain and arrogant, Ovinia didn't notice and kept the blisteringly polite smile on her lips as he explained, although she wondered if he was being sarcastic. Probably. The stew was likely more interesting than any of the stories she'd choose. 

"I thought we'd start with the basics, with the Aeneid. It's one of the foremost literary works of the last hundred years. Maybe you know it? About Aeneas the Trojan who fled the war in Troy to come to Italia?" She'd hated it in her lessons, but suspect Alexius might enjoy it more than she did. It was long though. "And maybe some poetry, given they're shorter." She shot Lucius a pre-emptive glare, "Not Catullus." and then explained quickly to Alexius, "Some of his works are quite crude." She cleared her throat. "I hear." They were working their way through the high racks of scrolls as sounds of chatter filled the high ceiling although few people were around. It was afternoon, she supposed, and most were at work. 

"Alexius took me to the plebeian games," She explained to Lucius with a small smile to the other Lucius in gratitude. "So we thought we'd spend time doing what like to do today, although we've skipped out a few of the temples." Which she regretted because she would have enjoyed it. She didn't want to land too much on Alexius' plate though, he'd been good to her thus far. "I suspect when you two meet you don't visit temples and libraries?" The smile on her lips was amused and her eyes narrowed on the two men, her unlikely friends.

• Haha 2

Alexius had lost a bet, and now he was along for the ride with Ovinia, who was putting on the 'well educated and much cultured Roman lady' performance. The dynamic between the three of them was strange; good thing Alexius was not the easily fazed kind.

"I thought we'd start with the basics, with the Aeneid. It's one of the foremost literary works of the last hundred years. Maybe you know it? About Aeneas the Trojan who fled the war in Troy to come to Italia?" 

Lucius was not sure who the 'maybe you know it' was aimed at, so he bit back the next snarky comment. Raised in a senatorial family, he had had to work his way through Vergilius like everyone else.

"And maybe some poetry, given they're shorter. Not Catullus. Some of his works are quite crude... I hear." 

He opened his mouth and then closed it again at her comment. She knew what he was going to say. "I'll introduce you to Landicus later" he whispered to Alexius with a wink. If Ovinia overheard, that was her problem.

"Alexius took me to the plebeian games. So we thought we'd spend time doing what I like to do today, although we've skipped out a few of the temples. I suspect when you two meet you don't visit temples and libraries?"

"The plebeian games?" Lucius arched an eyebrow. "Did you also lose a bet?" Taking Ovinia out to a place like that... Respect to Alexius for pulling that off. The two of them were such an odd pair. And yet they seemed to enjoy each other's company. The three of them (followed by Lucia) walked deeper into the library. "Can't say we have visited a library yet. We usually go to... other places. And we mostly try to hunt dangerous people, I guess."

@Sara @Atrice

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ovinia seemed oblivious to her own behavior, and instead just explained what she might read to Alexius, although he suspected there might not be a lot of reading done today. Not now that Lucius was here. She spoke about something called the Aeneid and he tried to think, he had heard the name before… “Maybe I know it? I’m not sure. I know a gladiator called Aeneas. Must be named after that.” He suggested, in a stupid attempt to sound like someone who knew things. Which he didn’t.

Now she also spoke of poetry and Lucius said something about Landicus. Now Alexius was the oblivious one. Did he even belong in this company? Ovinia kept it going though, speaking of the games Alexius took her to and wondered what Alexius and Lucius did, when they met.

Lucius wondered how Ovinia ended up at those games, but Alexius intervened, “I told her about the arena and she wanted to see for herself. And if I’m not the right escort for that, then who is?” He suggested with a smile. Lucius carefully spoke of what Alexius and he did.

“Yes, that’s what we mostly do. When Lucius isn’t coming around to my place for a drink and a talk.” Not that it had happened all that often, but it did happen that once, even if Lucius had said it was for the sake of the investigation. But that’s where Alexius heard about the kiss. He wondered if they wanted to be alone. They probably did. Of course it might not be smart that they were alone, and Ovinia’s father relied on Alexius to keep her safe. On the other hand, Lucius was not going to hurt her, he knew that much. And the gods definitely knew that Ovinia deserved a bit of distraction in her life. 

@Sara @Chevi

• Like 2

Ovinia smiled a little, softer now and nodded as Alexius explained whilst they walked deeper into the library, away from the crowds that congregated near the portico. "It was fun." She admitted, almost a little embarrassed by how much she had enjoyed it, "A little outside of my comfort zone, but fun." She doubted Alexius could say the same about her choice of activities for their day together and she felt a little...guilty. He'd given her the drama and excitement of the games, and she'd given him...a temple and a library, complete with an awkward third. 

A brow quirked though as the men spoke and she rolled her eyes a little. "I daresay I probably don't want to know what you two discuss...?" Alexius had been fairly...clear about his hobbies (such as charming women into his bed was a hobby), and she hadn't forgotten Lucius' familiarity with that prostitute at Tiberius' party. She wrinkled her nose at the though and shook her head at both of them. "Boys will be boys, at least that's what my father's always said about of my brothers." She chuckled and pause next to a set of scrolls, a bit apart from the other two and her slavegirl who was evidently  trying to fight off boredom. "Alexius tells me there's been little progress on the hunting of dangerous people...or one person in particular, although you're all trying." She remarked with a wobbly little smile, not looking at either of them. She felt as if a cold wind had wrapped around her skin and she smothered a shudder. 

• Like 2

“I told her about the arena and she wanted to see for herself. And if I’m not the right escort for that, then who is?” 

Ovinia, asking to participate in anything plebeian? Lucius was visibly amused at the thought. Maybe Alexius did have a good effect on her. Lucius remembered her enjoying Neptunalia too, once she got over her first impressions...

"It was fun. A little outside of my comfort zone, but fun." 

"I bet" Lucius grinned. Go figure.

“Yes, that’s what we mostly do. When Lucius isn’t coming around to my place for a drink and a talk.” 

"I daresay I probably don't want to know what you two discuss...? Boys will be boys, at least that's what my father's always said about of my brothers. Alexius tells me there's been little progress on the hunting of dangerous people...or one person in particular, although you're all trying."

There was a change in Ovinia as she said that last part. Joking about boys' activities aside, she did seem... different when she talked about her attacker. Her being out and about, with Alexius to keep her safe, was a good sign. But she was not alright, not yet. No wonder.

"Needle in a haystack" Lucius sighed. He wished he could have something more encouraging to do. "But we'll find him." He was convinced they would. Even if he had to knock on every damn door in the City of Rome himself. 

Lucius saw the tension in Ovinia as she glanced away.

"Come on. Let's find a book to read to Alexius." Alexius might let them walk away alone, or Ovinia could ask him to come along. Lucius left it up to them to decide.

@Sara @Atrice

• Like 1

Going to the plebian games had seemed very much out of her comfort zone, she had barely even known how to dress for it. But Alexius had enjoyed it and once Ovinia relaxed, so had she. Ovinia mused about what Alexius and Lucius talked about on their own, and something about boys will be boys. Alexius just smiled, he wouldn’t say anything on that matter. But then she trailed a little away from them, looking away even, asking Lucius about the hunt for her attacker.

Lucius said more or less what Alexius had said, that it was hard, but sounded at least convincing when he said they’d find him. Alexius nodded, “We will.” And then he would twist that wretched neck until it wouldn’t twist more and… no, the man deserved to suffer. No quick death for him. Alexius inhaled a breath, calm down, you’re in a library and must be respectable…

Then Lucius suggested to go and find a book for Alexius and he spoke more to Ovinia than to him. Alexius glanced from one to the other. That did it. They did deserve some time alone and he would be here for both of them.

“I’m sure that with Lucius’ help, you can find something suitable for me.” Alexius said to Ovinia with a grin, “I’ll wait here? Lucia can entertain me.” He added, looking at the bored body slave that had trailed along all this time, but barely said anything. Maybe he would be the one entertaining her, he wouldn't mind. Hadn’t Ovinia said Lucia liked him? She did smile when he mentioned her name… but of course, just in case, he should remember his duty here. Lucius might be present too, but Alexius couldn’t help but to consider Ovinia’s safety his responsibility, since he was her official escort in the city today… “Don’t be too long? Else I’ll have to come and find you.”

@Sara @Chevi

• Like 2

Ovinia risked a glance between the two men, scepticism clear on her features. They wouldn't catch him, she was more and more confident of that as the days turned to weeks and weeks turned to months. It didn't help her shot nerves one bit and she exhaled, glancing back apathetically at the shelves with a little shrug. 

And then Lucius spoke and she frowned, choosing not to look at him and intently staring at the particularly dry looking material in front of her before Alexius agreed. She glanced over her shoulder at both of them, uneasiness showing in her face. Nodding slowly, she moved nimbly past the three of them (choosing to ignore the sly smile on Lucia's face). "We won't be long. I'm sure they have a hundred copies of the Aeneid here. Lucius?" She jerked her head for him to follow her through the racks of scrolls that towered around them. Few people were this deep into the library but you could hear the faint hushed tones of conversation drifting from other stacks. 

She didn't want to leave Alexius for too long. He had been good to her, he was her friend and this was supposed to be their day. Lucius had been a late addition, but as they walked quietly through the stacked shelves she couldn't help but smile very slightly to herself. Stop it, you idiot. One half of her brain protested, but the other half was giggling girlishly; but he came to see you. "How goes things at the Castra?" She asked neutrally. Friends. She could be his friend.

• Like 2

Alexius said the same, and Lucius knew he felt the same. They would not rest until the attacker was found. Ovinia, however, did not seem convinced. She seemed... pale, and looking away. Lucius suggested they should go look for books, but he left it up to Alexius and Ovinia to make the decision.

“I’m sure that with Lucius’ help, you can find something suitable for me. I’ll wait here? Lucia can entertain me. Don’t be too long? Else I’ll have to come and find you.”

Oh, thank the gods for Alexius. They understood each other without words. Now it was up to Ovinia, to see if she would be willing to be alone with him... even in a public place.

"We won't be long. I'm sure they have a hundred copies of the Aeneid here. Lucius?"

Lucius could not have cared less about the damn Aeneid, but his heart jumped anyway as they walked away together. This part of the library was less popular; luckily, Lucius knew where to take turns among the stacks to find a section that no one really cared about. Theoretical treatises on the nature of mathematics or some crap.

"How goes things at the Castra?" 

Once comfortably far from any company, Lucius turned to look at Ovinia. "Not as efficient as they should be." he admitted. "How are you doing? Really?" The last time they had been alone together, he'd hugged her. He felt like she still might need that.

@Sara

• Like 1

They turned and turned until they came to a section of scrolls that even she couldn't feign interest in as a distraction. She haphazardly pulled out one of the scrolls to avoid looking at him and squinted at the title. It might well of been written in hieroglyphs. She put it back and glanced over her shoulder to look at him, tossing her hair over her shoulder and squinting. There was a slight smile tugging on her lips. "I thought you were going to make it more efficient?" 

And then he asked his question and her face faltered for just the briefest of moments. She ducked her head as she turned around to face him properly, folding her arms across her chest and shrugging. She could put on a brave face but it would likely crumble the more he pressed, which he guessed he would. She sighed and raised her eyes, straightening her spine. "Better than I was, but Morpheus is still playing games in my dreams." She admitted, quietly, although nightmares might be more apt. "And going out," She swallowed, "Is difficult. But Alexius has been good, as has my brother." One of them anyway. 

"I'll be fine." She sighed and then managed a small smile, "And at least I wasn't shipped off to Crete." 

TAG: @Chevi

• Like 1

Lucius smiled at her comment, but he was in no mood to waste the time they had on discussing the vigiles. That could always happen in polite company too. He wanted to know how she was, instead, and hoped she would trust him with the truth.

"Better than I was, but Morpheus is still playing games in my dreams. And going out. Is difficult. But Alexius has been good, as has my brother. I'll be fine... And at least I wasn't shipped off to Crete." 

Lucius' look softened at her smile. "I'm glad you weren't. I'd miss you." He admitted. He watched her, opening his arms with a hesitant motion. He didn't want to pull her into a hug... but he wanted to hold her, more than he'd realized minutes before.

@Sara

• Like 1

She scoffed with a roll of her eyes, but the smile that was tugging on her lips grew a touch broader. "Please." She shook her head, "You'd miss the manual labour of scrubbing the walls of the city, you wouldn't miss me..." Now it was a few weeks ago she could laugh about her little...incident. A little. 

And then he opened his arms and she frowned, stuttering to a stop in the quip she was about to give. She blinked at him. The hug in the Portico had felt a natural extension of the one in her bed when he'd found her the morning after everything...which itself had been an extension of what had...happened at Saturnalia. But now it had been weeks and a falling out had happened in the interim. They were being friends. She didn't hug her friends, not her male friends at any rate. She cleared her throat and shook her head fractionally as if to indicate she couldn't. Friends. 

"Alexius has been good," She offered and turned around again to start sorting through scrolls to give herself something else to do other than stare at him and the hands that wanted to hold her. "Kind. Especially today, I imagine it was dull as anything for him." 

TAG: @Chevi

• Like 1

She shook her head and turned away. It hurt, more than he'd expected. Lucius folded his arms, not knowing what else to do; good thing she didn't see the hurt look in his eyes. Maybe he'd misjudged the whole thing, then. Maybe they really did not need to be alone.

"Alexius has been good. Kind. Especially today, I imagine it was dull as anything for him." 

"I don't know, I think he'd tell you if he was bored." Lucius noted, trying to pick up the conversation. "He's a good man, though. I'd trust him with my life." And Ovinia's life too.

"I should... probably tell you, this is not the section for the Aeneid at all." he added a little awkwardly, watching her sift through the scrolls.

@Sara

• Haha 1