Crime scene investigations

Chevi

Alexius was a little proud that he got the idea with the raisins and everyone just picked it up and continued. Theo added some and Jason did too. Really maps were not so difficult, Alexius thought to himself! He spoke of Ovinia as 'the patrician girl' as if she didn't have a name, but she probably meant little to him. 

The attacker had also come to the Elysium quite a lot it seemed, but not anymore. Alexius shrugged, "If any other brothels treat their whores like they do. I heard the Elysium got a new owner though. Maybe he's worse." He pointed out, feeling sorry for the girls there. Alexius tried then to think of what Jason said about where Ovinia was cut the first time.

"Ovinia... where I first met here was around here I think..." He placed one more raison somewhere between the thermae of the Piscina Publica and the Aventine. That was a pattern. 

"He's definitely not of a higher class I think? Look where he goes. Elysium, the subura..." Alexius pointed out and looked to Lucius, "What now?" 

@Sharpie @Chevi

• Like 2

Theo frowned at the comments about the brothels. Whenever he was not working at the ludus, he had often been invitied to help out as a medicus in some of them, including the Elysium, which had been in a bad shape until recently. No wonder the man went there.

But, what now, that they had a better idea of the killer?

"Now... we try to find him?" he ventured, looking at the others. "I know some of the brothels in the area. The Elysium, too. I can talk to them and find people who'll alert us... or the vigiles, if he shows up again. And he doesn't know my face yet, so I can go and start visiting barbers..."

@Sharpie @Atrice

• Like 1

"How many barbers are there in just one of those areas?" Jason asked, more as a rhetorical question than because he expected an actual figure. "Could he... I don't suppose he lives in one area and works in another, most people live and work in the same place."

Because it was easier and cheaper to pay one landlord than two. At least, from everything Jason had learned in his time in Rome, and also that was what common sense told him.

He glanced between Lucius (who seemed somehow an innocent despite his patrician accent and his vigiles uniform) and Theo. Alexius was more the muscle of the group, though the idea to use raisins was a good one.

"Would it be worth starting with the Elysium, trying to talk to the girls there? They might know a name, even if they haven't actually been told one."

Slaves listened, after all, and could put names to faces even without formal introductions. In a lot of cases, that was simply a survival skill - and slaves knew how to survive, if nothing else.

@Chevi @Atrice

• Like 2

Lucius nodded. They didn't have a definite plan, but they had made progress.

"We will have to do this the meticulous way" he sighed, glancing between the map and the others. "Theo, go talk to the girls at the Elysium. The rest of us... We'll start visiting barbers. He doesn't know our faces yet, I don't think. We will just keep looking until we find him. We will find him."

Now it was a race against time. And a madman. They couldn't let any more people fall victims to him.

@Sharpie @Atrice

• Like 1