Walk on the Wild Side

Insignia

The breeze cools him as he returns. "Sorry, that took a bit longer than I expected." In all honesty, it didn't. However, Jannus is always one who's more prone to apologizing and putting up other platitudes of comfort, regardless of whether or not they are actually needed. In the future, he may open up. For now, he defaults to using the same meek ways of speaking around many of those he knows, Helios especially. It is probably for the best that he does not see Helios's client-to-be. Otherwise, it may very well have shattered the image of the man he's constructed to represent him at his very best, like a set of iridescent nacre and quartz mosaics one might find in the finest of baths or temples. 

Helios's smile, he thinks, more than makes up for any delay. And he realizes, with a newfound horror, that he is allowing himself to fall into honey-laden traps of good intentions speckled with sun-granted beauty. "Oh, I can fix my h-" As careful fingers smooth down his hair, Jannus is acutely aware he is too far gone. "I..." he trails off. Should anybody ask him about the sudden rush of heat to his face, he will forever and always blame the sun. As the two walk, he finally manages a quiet "thank you." 

The road back is a bit far. He latches onto the chance for more conversation. "I was born up north, then brought here when I was a small child. Now, I deliver messages."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Helios had not considered how long it took, but it was long enough for Helios to maybe land himself some work later tonight, if the man kept his promise. Jannus did not appear to have seen or heard anything yet and Helios merely greeted him with a smile and then noticed that Jannus' hair had fallen out of place. So he fixed it easily, even though Jannus began to protest - but by then, Helios' hand was already in Jannus' hair. It felt nice and soft. His master must be wealthy. Jannus seemed surprised about the sudden action of being touched like that, but then he quietly thanked Helios. Helios just smiled, it was no big deal to him really. But of course not all men were used to being touched like that.

Then he asked more into Jannus' story as they began walking and Jannus said he'd been born in the North and brought here. Helios nodded.

"It's the same for me. All I know is that I was born in Britannia. But I was very young when they took me... and brought me here." He explained, "But I don't remember much. Do you?" 

@Insignia

• Like 1

When people touch him, it's usually an accidental brush of shoulders or the backs of hands while on a walk. Sometimes upper arms lean against each other while he sits with a friend under a tree. Most of the time, it is harsh. The sting from a backhanded slap, the knuckles and finger-joints feeling quite interesting against his face or shoulder. The sweetness of a grip that soon turned painful. Tough fingers brushing the insides of his wrists as his hands were tied for the last auction. It was not cruel, but the feeling of the rope scraping against his arms is forever ingrained in his mind. 

"You're from Britannia, too? I guess that means we have some things in common." On the front of his memories from years past: "Small bits from time to time. Sitting on something soft and fluffy. A woman I think was my mother." It's not supposed to feel like this, remembering things that were long since dead and gone. "A Roman cavalryman scooped me up one day. It was the start of a new life for me," he ends with a smile. "Now I'm here, and I haven't been better." Was that supposed to be a truth? It feels like he has to force those words out of his mouth these days. "What are kids like us supposed to do, anyway?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

Helios didn't often think of his childhood or where he came from. It was no use, he wasn't going back there, he didn't think so at least. He had his life in Rome now and he told himself that he was content, because what else could he be? Of course he hoped to one day own his own body, but until that, life was life and he had to make the best of it. But Jannus also came from the North and Helios revealed that he did too. Apparently Jannus was also from Britannia and he smiled, then Jannus said things he remembered. And told how he was caught. At least apparently he had not been better than right now, which was good.

"I think Romans attacked my village and my mother hid me... but they found me. And took me away." He said, his eyes became distant for a moment, as he relived that memory that rarely flowed to the top of his mind.

"But we can't do much else, but make the best of the life we have. There's no point in dwelling on the past. At least I don't think so." He then said, bringing himself back to the present moment and the busy life of Rome around them - and his young companion.

@Insignia

Being ripped apart from his entire life and culture from Britannia (was it east or west, north or south? Did he have a better li-no, not here) used to plague him when he was very young. He apparently had nightmares about it, but he doesn't remember them now. No use, no use whatsover. The past is dead, and he has to keep repeating that to himself whenever the road ahead seemed uncertain, the path full of rough stones. He cannot cry and run back to his family like a patrician's child would because he has no family to speak of. He and others like him must fight their battles head on.

It is a simpler route heading back home, if he can even call it that. The first man in charge of him-it wouldn't do to get sentimental now, Jannus, stop it-was kind. This current one, he is not so sure. Feels like he's always doing something wrong. Gets punished for it. One day he'll make it out. Most he can do is hang onto hope. 

"At least we got to meet each other," he replies with a shaky smile. "And we're almost there. Straight down this road a little more, then I turn left and," and that's it, "I'll be back."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Helios nodded with a smile to Jannus, when he smiled too and said that at least they got to meet each other. That was true. Had he stayed in Britannia, his life would have been very different. But he didn't even know how different. He just had brief flashes of memories from his childhood, but what was it like to be a young man or an adult in Britannia? What did his family do for a living? He recalled something about a stable. Maybe they were farmers? Or had something to do with horses? But he'd never find out. So why dwell on it?

Then suddenly it would seem they'd reached Jannus' home. Helios took note of where they were in Rome and who lived in this neighborhood, just in case he'd ever need it. He didn't get anything very useful from Jannus, at least not the kind of information he'd like to sell. But maybe he had gained a friend or something.

"Well, I suppose I better get going too then. Maybe we'll meet again? You are very welcome to visit me any time, if you want to. The Domus Venus is my home." Which was no big deal to him, but it might be to Jannus. He would not be surprised if Jannus wouldn't enter a brothel to find him. But if he would, he was welcome.

@Insignia

If Jannus had stayed, perhaps he'd be happier. His frame would be less confined, and he'd come back to a home full of rowdy brothers and sisters every evening once his work was done. Who knows, maybe he'd be betrothed by now, or have an honest-to-Jupiter lover. What could he find there that he didn't have in Rome, though? Siblings trip each other up. Lover's spats turn nasty. The place he is in at present gives him time to complete things by himself, albeit only when running errands. 

The house before them is more of a manor, multiple floors all for one family to dwell in. Due to its size, Jannus cannot enter through the front door like the dominus would. Instead, he has to weave his way all around the back in order to use the service entrance. He is quite sure he'll face a good deal of repercussions for his tardiness, but meeting Helios is worth it. If only he could have walked slower, or taken the scenic route, or done something else to prolong his return!

"Thanks, Helios. I..I hope so. I don't get breaks often, but when I do I'll be sure to visit," he promises. His feet feel like they're anchored to the ground, but he turns and walks away regardless, casting a glance over his shoulder. 

He opens the service door with a newfound spring in his step. The better a job he does, the more likely he'll be given time to see Helios again. The things you'll do for a friend.

@Atrice (I think this did an okay job of wrapping it up?)

• Like 1