Something New

Sara

She heard how Charis choked and whispered and she almost felt angry at her for a moment. Please don't go? It's not like she could go anywhere, was it? She was still a slave. She was bound to Rome and if she escaped and was caught, she'd be branded a fugitive and might never return to Claudia or Charis again. She couldn't do anything. And Charis could, Charis was free now and she had her son, who was also free. And a husband, even if it was her former master, who had previously been so cruel to her. But was now her husband. There was so much to comprehend here, so much that had to sink in, so much she had to somehow understand... 

She tried to make Charis understand they were still friends, but Charis' fingers clutched at her dress and she said Cynane would always be her best friend and her sister. When she saw Charis wipe the tear away she felt her own tears again. This was definitely not among her best days in Rome. 

"And you will always be mine." She promised through the tears, while Charis had turned to the bench and picked up a honey cake for Cynane. She took it, let her fingers brush over Charis' as she did and she met her eyes, "Thank you." She said and inhaled a small breath, tried to steady herself. With her free hand she wiped away the tears too... "I think... I should go now. Kiss your son from me?" She asked and then she turned to leave, back to the palace and her princess, back to the life she'd lived for three years so far and might live many years yet.

@Sara

• Sad 1