Vigilantes [M]

Chevi

"Whatever.She repeated with an eye-roll at him in a drawled accent, trying to mimic him. It didn't quite hit the mark.

"Yes," She shrugged, "I've been here a year and a couple of months." She chose not to elaborate on why she hadn't graduated out of the place yet and instead shrugged again, "And fairly limited career plans for people who are gifted. It was either here or a shittier version and my family live in New York so why wouldn't I come here?" She looked at him bemused as they rounded another corner to another set of stairs. She'd tell him about the elevator tomorrow. "Why didn't you come here straight way? When you were eighteen? You get it's state-funded, right?" Well...the basic part was. The amenities Camilla enjoyed were thanks to the very generous donations from her folks.

TAG: @Chevi

• Haha 1

He had to admit, the place was huge. One flight of stairs after another. How many people did they have in this place?... All of them powered. It was strange to think about so many of them in one building. Powered people, while by far not miracles anymore, were still fairly rare.

"Yes. I've been here a year and a couple of months. And fairly limited career plans for people who are gifted. It was either here or a shittier version and my family live in New York so why wouldn't I come here?" 

With her powers? She could have gone anywhere. She was not showing physical signs; those were always the lucky ones. And her abilities were low key enough to pass. Lucius shrugged.

"Why didn't you come here straight way? When you were eighteen? You get it's state-funded, right?" 

Yeow. Snob, much? Lucius knew he didn't exactly give off rich kid vibes - there was a reason for that - but he still felt the sting in the comment.

"Let's see... why didn't I come to a place filled with powered weirdos that has no booze, no parties, no sex, and only registered visitors? Gee I don't know." he rolled his eyes. This place was going to be hard to put up with. "Do they... actually have you going out on the field? With your powers?"

@Sara

• Like 1

"Charming." She glared at him as they drew to a landing. The top floor above housed the self-contained apartments, like her own. No such luck for Lucius though - just communal bathrooms and dark solitary, lockable, bedrooms. She gestured with her head for him to follow her down the corridor. "So you didn't actually want to help people?" she countered. The Government weren't big on unsanctioned powered-people going solo. Hence the institution. Hence her reason for being here. "You just wanted to hide? Good to know." She smirked as she came to the door and held out her hands for his keys so she could unlock it. 

"And yes, but not that often. There's sparingly few genuine threats..." Or those they trust on rookies like her and her team. "Most of the time it's just training and...waiting." She gestured with a smirk to his room. "Ready for home sweet home?" 

• Like 1

"Charming. So you didn't actually want to help people?"

She was ahead of him, so she didn't see him wince, or the pained look on his face at her question. He shook it off a moment later. Dumb thing.

"You just wanted to hide? Good to know." 

"I wanted to live. Sue me." he handed her the keys and let her open the dorm room door.

"And yes, but not that often. There's sparingly few genuine threats... Most of the time it's just training and...waiting. Ready for home sweet home?" 

So, she wasn't some super-experienced vigilante crime fighter either. Good to know. Maybe he could just coast by the same way she did.

Lucius stepped into the room, looking around. It was... sparse. A bed, folded sheets, a desk, chair, wardrobe, drawers. Metal, the lot of them. Lucius turned, placing a gloved hand on the wall that had a light grey tint. He smirked, shaking his head. "Fire resistant. Well, gotta give it to them, they are prepared."

• Haha 1

She watched him take in his surroundings and winced a little. It was sparse and she mumbled; "I have some spare rugs and cushions you can have..." but then he said fire resistant and she understood. Oh. She blinked at the spartan little room that was now to be his home for who knew how long. Her plush rooms upstairs looked like an actual palace by comparison.

But something was bothering her and she glanced at him, frowning. "But not everything you touch bursts into flames. The keys didn't," She jangled them, "And your paperwork hasn't." She gestured to the packet of documents he was holding before folding her arms across her chest, not relinquishing the keys just yet. "So what gives?"

• Like 1

"I have some spare rugs and cushions you can have..." 

"Of course you do" he smirked, dropping his bag on the floor. He doubted her room looked anything like this. With her powers, she could have all the cushions she wanted.

"But not everything you touch bursts into flames. The keys didn't. And your paperwork hasn't. So what gives?"

"Gloves." Lucius held up his hands, covered with the gloves up to his elbows. "My powers work with skin contact. These are lined with kevlar. Anything else?"

@Sara

• Like 1

She narrowed her eyes at him. "So your fire only happens with your hands? So if I was to touch your face or you foot or whatever I wouldn't be a singed mess?" She didn't believe him. It seemed like the most inconvenient power in the history of their people. "And so when you need to shower and take those," She gestured at the gloves, "Off, what? You burn yourself?" She kept her arms over her chest and considered him with a smirk, "I don't believe you. Prove it." 

• Haha 1

She was suddenly way too interested in his powers. Was this a general thing in this house? Because if it was, Lucius was going to go crazy pretty soon.

"So your fire only happens with your hands? So if I was to touch your face or you foot or whatever I wouldn't be a singed mess?"

"Wanna try?" he grinned at her, stepping closer. She wouldn't, but she didn't need to know that.

"And so when you need to shower and take those. Off, what? You burn yourself?"

"Picturing me in the shower, are you?." he sighed, rolling his eyes at the questioning. "I don't burn. I do make a lot of steam, though." He added with a smirk. Camilla did not seem impressed at all.

"I don't believe you. Prove it." 

He arched an eyebrow at her. "How exactly?"

• Like 1

"Only in my nightmares." She retorted with a smirk and took a half-step back, rolling her eyes at the steam comment. He couldn't live his life in gloves. She refused to believe it and usually when there was a new entrant she wouldn't dream of being this forthright or...nosey but he was rude and cold and arrogant and he was exceptionally good at baiting her already.

She smirked, and shrugged. "Take the gloves off and touch..." She glanced around. His bag wasn't fireproofed. "Your duffel. It looks like it needs to be incinerated anyway." 

• Like 1

Lucius blinked, his eyebrows raised.

"You... want me to set fire to the only stuff I have?" The nerve on this woman, really. She was clearly not thinking about what she was asking, and he liked the direction of this conversation less and less by the moment. "Why don't you bring me one of your precious pillows? I'll happily incinerate it for you."

@Sara

• Like 1

"Fine." she smirked, "I have a terrace. Come on." She gestured with her head and then swiftly strode out of the room. Terrace might have been a grandiose term for a little balcony that overlooked the alley where the trash was collected five floors down, but it had two chairs and some house plants and an ashtray. All that she needed. She moved up the stairs seamlessly and unlocked the door, swiftly pulling one of the cushions off of the small couch and moving out onto the balcony. She moved her precious ficus out of the way. 

"There." She pointed at it on the concrete floor. "Go on then. I'll see it at the demo tomorrow anyway so you might as well get it over with?" 

They weren't allowed to use their powers on each other but there was nothing stopping them using it on her stuff.

• Haha 1

Camilla actually invited him to her apartment. Lucius followed, mostly out of curiosity, although he still had the nagging bad feeling about the whole interest in his powers. It was quickly surpassed by the realization that her room was... nothing like his. Instead, it was an entire apartment. Damnn. Some people were more equal than others.

"There. Go on then. I'll see it at the demo tomorrow anyway so you might as well get it over with?" 

So many things wrong with this. But maybe Camilla needed to learn a lesson.

Lucius gave her a look, then glanced around. No one had a vantage point at the balcony, unless they were up on the roof. He pulled off one of his gloves and knelt by the pillow on the concrete floor. He placed a hand on it.

It only took a few moments before the pillow began to smolder, with thin lines of smoke curling between his fingers. Then the whole thing burst into flames. Lucius stepped back, shaking his hand, which was visibly unhurt, looking at the burning pillow at his feet. "Happy?"

@Sara

• Like 1

She didn't believe it would actually happen until...it did. She should have used a cheaper pillow. She choked and screeched, moving back several paces - "Kick it off the balcony!" A burning ball of feathers and wool flaming down to the alley below was better than it being here and potentially setting alight to her plants. 

The commotion of the moment distracted her briefly from the fact that he had caused that. Just with his hand. She blinked at him. "Does it happen every time you touch something? Or do you have to...will it?" She wasn't goading anymore, she was just genuinely fascinated. 

• Haha 1

Her reaction was king of priceless. For someone who was excited to see him set shit on fire, she really did look freaked out.

"Kick it off the balcony!"

Lucius snorted and shook his head. "No." Kicking a flaming thing off the balcony would be a spectacularly bad idea. Not to mention spectacular. Instead he waved his hand over the flames; they twisted and folded in on themselves, burning in a controlled shape.

"Does it happen every time you touch something? Or do you have to...will it?"

The fire was burning itself out now, producing copious amounts of smoke. Lucius cleared his throat, glancing away. "Every time."

• Haha 1

She watched it, mesmerised as the ball of flaming matter folded in on itself to a neat square of smouldering ruins. They had elementals here but nobody  that could do that, as far as she knew. She felt a wave of self-consciousness at her own pathetic power rear its ugly head again and she cleared her throat, pretending it was from the smoke.

"That must be...inconvenient." She offered him a smirk and an arched brow. Torching lovers or...yourself must really cramp the romance. She shrugged. "They'll give you better gloves I'm sure. But that was the first and only pillow of mine you're burning so I hope it was worth it." She smirked and fiddled with the sleeve of her jumper, desperately wanting a smoke. Ah. She smirked and drew out the packet from her pocket, holding it out at arms reach. "You may be useful for something. Light it for me?" 

• Haha 1

Lucius could tell that the reality of his powers, and all the implications, were dawning on her. She was too snobbish to pity him, thank god. She didn't need to know the whole story, or the whole extent. She was freaked out enough already, however much she tried to hide it.

"That must be...inconvenient. They'll give you better gloves I'm sure. But that was the first and only pillow of mine you're burning so I hope it was worth it."

"You were the one who asked!" he pointed out a little indignantly. Camilla, on her part, pulled out a cigarette.

"You may be useful for something. Light it for me?" 

This time, it was his turn to be surprised. He gave her a long look, her arm extended towards him. Did she just...? After her reaction to his powers just now, she wanted him to use them... this close? 

The woman was a mystery.

"Look at you, breaking two rules in one" he smiled a little, touching a finger to the end of the cigarette.

@Sara

• Haha 1

She smirked and pulled the cigarette out of his reach the second it was lit, taking a drag and shrugging. "You're a terrible influence, clearly. And you can leave now. Hope you've enjoyed the first and only time you'll get to visit the fifth floor." She gestured with her head to the door back to the lounge and then made a sweeping motion with her hands for him to leave.

---

The next day

Training was more interesting than usual today, for the pure fact that they had a newcomer. Like most other institutions - academic or otherwise - mornings were filled with book learning, the theoretics of war, of strategy and politics - all things Camilla thought she wasn't particularly gifted in and so didn't bother to learn. She'd go where they told her to on the day. It was why she was never chosen to lead, it just wasn't her skillset. So she listened with disinterest all the way through until after lunch when they were finally joined with the other class and she saw Lucius. She smirked and took her seat at the front of the class (ever the good student in the practical arts, if not the academic). She wasn't exactly dressed for exercise, but she was placing a bet on the fact that this lesson wouldn't last long if Lucius was to show off his power. Besides, she was wearing trainers. That was reasonably athletic.

The instructor was a middle aged man, rotund and square faced with an easy glare and limited patience. She hadn't liked him from the second she'd started here, but she had him suitably well-wrapped around her little finger. She flashed him a smile as class began and then gestured to Lucius at the empty seat next to hers. "Excited?" She murmured to him with a smirk.

• Like 1

The first days of school was an absolute pain in the ass. Lucius tried to find a seat in the back in every class, but as the new guy, it was hard to avoid the questions and the stares. He almost longed for the afternoon sessions; with any luck, he would at least get to hit something.

They all filed into the large, cavernous training hall and took their seats. Lucius had been supplied with a new set of uniforms; his training hear consisted of black tactical pants and boots, a black t-shirt with the school's logo on it, and a new set of gloves that were lighter and more high tech. All of this felt ridiculous, especially when he took a seat next to Camilla, in her happy pink sweater. Lucius folded his arms.

"Nope" he answered her question. He was not excited. Slightly apprehensive, more like. "So what do we do now? Ballet lessons?"

@Sara

• Haha 1

She grinned. "If you want. Olivia," She jerked her head at a young woman a few seats away and lowered her voice, "Actually does do ballet training - she's hyper flexible. That's her gift." And for the first month they'd shared a wall before she'd asked to be moved and boy did lovely Olivia seem to make the most out of her power. 

"You know you don't have to wear that," She grinned at the uniform, "You can buy your own stuff?" She gestured at her vibrant pink jumper. She wouldn't be caught dead in the combat boots or baggy black pants all the new recruits were forced to wear. "I-" Her offer to take him shopping was cut off by the instructor directing his attention at her; "Miss Birch, have something to share?" Camilla blinked and shook her head, the sweetest smile flitting onto her lips, "No, I was just inducting our newest student. This is Lucius Roscoe," the instructor nodded, "He was wondering what we were doing here." She expected the instructor to immediately pivot his attention to Lucius but instead today something was clearly aggravating him. "Care to show him?" he opened his arm for her to stand up and join him. She groaned.

• Haha 1

"If you want. Olivia. Actually does do ballet training - she's hyper flexible. That's her gift." 

"You wanna introduce me?" Lucius grinned, looking over in Olivia's direction. Low hanging fruit.

"You know you don't have to wear that. You can buy your own stuff?"

Yeah. Sure. Going out and buying outfits for training really was not on top of his priorities. Or his budget.

"I'll get right on that."

"Miss Birch, have something to share?"

"No, I was just inducting our newest student. This is Lucius Roscoe. He was wondering what we were doing here."

"Care to show him?"

Lucius arched an eyebrow and gave Camilla an amused look as she walked up to the front of the class. He folded his arms, watching her, and also watching the man who was somehow responsible for training a whole bunch of powered youngsters. This was going to be fun...

@Sara

• Like 1

Camilla was not an awkward person by nature, and she exuded confidence as she nimbly slipped off of her chair and strode to the front of the class. She gave the instructor a smirk and opened her mouth to say something but before she could, he was on her.

They'd chosen the instructor for one very useful skill he possessed; he was gifted, and his gift was that he just did not fatigue. You could throw a whole weight rack at him, make him run a 1,000 miles and he'd still be as energetic and able to carry on as he had been before you asked. It was a valuable skill to have when trying to corral thirty arrogant, gifted young people. It also meant mock-demonstrations like this a breeze for him. 

He swung low to try and sweep her feet out from under her but she jumped and blocked blow after blow as he tried to land them. She'd been here for a year, there was no softness in the punches he threw, and none in her own - she'd been in the real world and out there there were no safety mats. A few whistles and cheers went up from the assembled crowd and the instructor decided to turn his attention to one of them - leaving a breathless Camilla standing at the side. The boy he picked was newly eighteen, a gangly kid with no muscle and no real ability to fight back as he was yanked up out of his seat. She understood the assignment, and fighting awkwardness at Lucius watching her, closed her eyes for the briefest of moments and pushed out the energy that was now so familiar. The instructor stopped at once, turned on his heel and marched straight back towards her. 

"And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how it's done. Your turn, new kid." He jabbed a finger in Lucius' direction.

• Like 1

Lucius watched curiously as Camilla sparred with the teacher. They were clearly practiced, and she could hold her own against him. He wasn't sure if the guy was going easy on her or not, but he doubted it. This place trained future superheroes. Pink sweater and all, Camilla had been here for a long time.

The demonstration of her gift was also interesting. He could see the moment when her powers grabbed hold of the instructor. She'd only told him the basics; it was different to see it in action.

"And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how it's done. Your turn, new kid." 

Lucius blinked. "Am I fighting you or her?"

Clearly, the instructor did not like his tone.

"She can handle you. Get up."

There was an excited murmur from the other students as Lucius stood, stepping out front to face Camilla. He really did not feel like fighting her. Or anyone, really. That did not keep him from flashing a grin at Camilla. "Alright, go ahead. Handle me."

@Sara

• Haha 1

She had hoped it would have been a demonstration between Lucius and the instructor but sadly he had other ideas. She had absolutely no worries that she would own him, but she also didn't particularly want to. She was feeling sapped, as she often did even after minor moments of using her power and Lucius' smug grin wasn't helping.

She gave him one right back and reached up to tighten her long high pony-tail before wasting no time in trying to sweep his legs out from under him, and punch him in that stupid, smug face of his. 

• Haha 1

Camilla seemed to be the kind of overachieving student who took her assignments very seriously. The leg sweep took Lucius by surprise and he went down hard, but he managed to roll out of the way of the punch. He scrambled back to his feet. This was bullshit. He knew that the gloves would keep him from accidentally setting an opponent on fire, but it didn't make him like this class any more. Also, as much as Camilla annoyed him, he wasn't exactly ready to punch her in the face.

He waited her to attack again, this time more prepared to block her hits. If he was lucky, he1d get to grab her arms and pin her down somehow.

@Sara

• Like 1

She smirked as he went down but found herself frowning as he nimbly ducked the punch. She didn't particularly want to cause him injury but she took her classes seriously and she hated to lose. Competitive didn't quite cut it for her. As he sprang back to his feet she circled to the whoops and cheers of the other classmates. The instructor just looked bored. He wasn't make a move, he was waiting for her. "You realise you don't have to be on the defensive the whole time..." She said with a smug smirk.

She calculated the risk of attacking though. He was bigger and stronger than her, that was obvious even if he didn't have the skills that she had (although who knew what he'd actually been getting up to the in the intervening years since his powers blossomed). She had to be cautious and she took advantage of a moment of distraction to lunge forward, aiming to kick him in the knee whilst wrapping her arms around his neck to bring him to kneel.

• Like 1