Sacrifice and Stalemates

She chuckled and hoisted the edge of the toga off the ground for him as he dressed himself. She had never dressed him when she was enslaved, that had always been Hector's job, but she had helped Domina Antonia. Her step-daughter. That was hard to get her head around and she swallowed, trying to shake off thoughts of that life, even if it had only ended a few weeks before. She was not a slave. She was a loving wife, helping her loving husband dress in his Senatorial garb. For the briefest of moments as she ran the heavy fabric through her hands, she remembered a time when she had dressed Immin. She exhaled at the thought but kept her face neutral until Tertius had wrapped himself. 

She nodded, forcing a smile on her face and she took his arm, leaning on it as they padded out of the little chamber and up the winding stairs. The day light burned her eyes and she squinted for a few moments, grimacing at the brightness. She still hung onto his arm as they made their way out of the temple and down through the steps where the litter still was...although the litter bearers, evidently having forgotten their dominus and domina were inside were busy playing a game of dice on the steps. Charis grimaced and squeezed Tertius' arm, clearing her throat to attract their attention. 

TAG: @Atrice

• Like 1

She was sweet, helping him get dressed after the ritual in the temple. They appeared to have been left alone now, the Vestal and her servant had not returned. Perhaps they were performing further rites. There was no knowing what went on in the temples once you left, that was for those who served there only. And he was with his wife, who took his arm as he offered it. They moved up to the open part of the temple and into the daylight and down the steps. He looked at Charis when she was the first to clear her throat to the slaves waiting for them outside. They looked up at the couple and one look from Tertius had them on their feet.

"We will be going home now." Tertius instructed them and let go of Charis to climb into the litter again, where he waited for her. Once they were both inside, the litter was lifted and he looked at her, "You're being so good to me." If it could only be like this all the time, he thought, but there was a chance it might not be so. He had an idea then, for how he might strengthen their bond, make her trust him more. Why didn't he think of it before? Well, they'd have to go home first. 

@Sara

• Like 1

Charis watched Tertius climb in and she was pleased his back was turned so he didn't see the roll of her eyes. Immin had always helped her climb her horse first. Opened doors for her. Tertius, however, seemed to revel in his precedence. One of the slaves extended his arm which she gripped as she ducked in, sitting opposite him and rearranging the folds of her palla. 

She gave him a bemused, awkward little smile and shrugged her shoulders, looking at him. "I'm...happy. I suppose." She reached across to stroke her thumb over his knuckles. He was quiet, as if he was thinking deeply on something and she frowned, tilting her head, watching him closely. "What is on your mind, husband?" 

• Like 1

Tertius was Roman all the way through and followed the rules. Letting her climb in first, a freedwoman, a former slave... even though she was his wife, it might be noticed and people would question his actions. And he was a Praetor of Rome. He had too much power he didn't wish to lose, not even for her. But soon enough they were both in the litter and he mused about how nice she was to him. She smiled and shrugged, said she was happy. Tertius watched her with a mix of surprise and maybe relief... she was happy? With him? It was more than he could have hoped for. He didn't expected that answer at all.

"Are you? I'm... that... pleases me more than you know." Tertius said, unsure of how else to say it. Sometimes she made him feel like a young boy in love for the first time, unable to find the right words for her. But he decided to reward her in another way and Charis was clever enough to sense his thoughtfulness.

"Oh, it's just... I have a gift for you, when we're home." It could go both ways, but he chose to hope for the better. She just said she was happy, after all.

@Sara

• Like 1

She gave him a bemused little look, her lips curling in a small smile. "Of course I'm happy." and she couldn't honestly say it was a lie. She was being showered in luxury and her son was well and Tertius had been kind to her today. Besides the small little spat they'd had in the litter on the way here. 

But her brows rose and she gave him a slightly wider smile. Curious. "Another gift?" She let out a small little laugh and settled back against the backrest in the litter with a small smile. She was so little that even with her legs stretched out in front of her he had plenty of room. "You've given me so many already. My freedom, my jewels, my clothes..." She gestured at the fine chiton and palla she was wearing. Not a stola. She wasn't a respectable matron after all, even if she was a wife in all but legality. 

• Like 1

How sweet she was when she smiled like this. And said that 'of course she was happy'. That was not a given thing though, with what she'd been through with him. But if it had come to that, if she did feel happiness with him, he could barely ask for more from her. So he wanted to give her something special in return. She was surprised when he spoke of a gift and then mentioned all the things he gave her already.

Tertius chuckled, "Why should I not want to shower my wife with gifts? I want to spoil you." He said, but the smile faded, "This one is more... personal, I think. I won't say more." And that was that, he didn't want her to guess, so he changed the subject, "How are you now? After the temple?" Since he assumed this might be her first time really experiencing a Roman ritual like that. 

@Sara

She grinned at him, giving him a triumphant little look. "Well you've succeeded in that husband. I am thoroughly spoiled." she had wealth and belongings now beyond her imagining. Even when she had been a free woman in Britannia she had nothing like this. Of course, if she dwelled on it, she had been happier then. She had been truly free in a way she never would be again. She shoved the thought out of her mind with utter determination.

A personal gift though? She quirked a brow and was about to ask more questions but he moved the conversation on and she knew better than to press him. Instead she gave him a little sigh and picked at some of the grapes that were still in the litter form before. "It was...different to what I expected. I have seen sacrifices, of course but this felt...different." She was being honest now. It was hard to  put into words. "Deeper? Does that make sense? I think it was the darkness and the sounds and the prayers..." She shook her head. "It was...fascinating. Do you...do it a lot? Visit and make a sacrifice?" 

• Like 1

She already felt spoiled? Well compared to what she had before, he could see why. But she was his wife now and with their past, she deserved everything he could give her. As long as she would be with him and their son. Peregrinus would grow up with both of his parents, free and married, as they should be. The conversation moved on though, Tertius leading it by concluding he wouldn't tell more of the gift he had in mind and instead asked what she felt about the ritual at the temple. She sighed and gave into answering, saying it was different and it felt deep. And it fascinated her.

"I don't do it as often as I probably should." Tertius said, feeling a bit guilty, "And different temples have different purposes. The gods demand different sacrifices and rituals. But you're right, it was deep. It's supposed to be. We're sending our hopes and wishes to divine powers, after all. Hoping to please them, so they may gift us with what we hope for." He explained and reached for a grape too, just to let his fingers brush hers for a moment, "Now, it's out of our hands. We can only hope Vesta listened." 

@Sara

• Like 1

She nodded and asked, interested; "I would like to visit others. If you'd take me?" She meant it, genuinely. Not out of some genuine belief in their Gods - she had her own - but because it was a reverent spectacle, the sacrifices she had seen. And she wanted to see more. Understand more, of Rome. She had lived a relatively sheltered life since she got here to Rome. There was so much more to explore. 

"I'll pray that she listens." She replied with a small smile. He didn't like her praying outside, as she had been the day he found her in the garden, but she still did her own prayers, before sleep, when she walked in the gardens, when she saw beautiful things in the city. She curled one of her fingers around his own but soon enough they were descending the familiar hill on the Esquiline and she gave him a small smile. "We're nearly home." Traffic at this time of day was evidently quieter. "And I am intrigued for my gift. Should...I...go straight in?" 

• Like 1

Tertius smiled when she said she wanted to visit other temples and then he nodded, "Of course." He promised, he wanted to show her more of Rome, now that she was free and his wife. And now he'd been seen with her at Vesta's temple. The gossip would surely spread. Hopefully for the better. 

It didn't take long before they reached the domus and Charis said she was intrigued about her gift. Gods he hoped it wasn't a bad idea, the thing he wanted to gift her. But perhaps on a day like this, he thought, it was perfect. A proof of his trust in her. 

"It isn't anything big and I need to go and find it first." Tertius explained, "But you can go in. I'll find you." He said and waited for the litter to come to a stop. Since Charis climbed in last, it was easiest if she left first, so he let her. A slave gave Tertius a hand too and he went inside. To the tablinum. Hidden in a vase was a key to unlock a chest on a rack behind the desk. Moments later it was locked again and Tertius went through the mostly quiet domus to find his wife. 

@Sara

• Like 1

She arched a brow, a small, slow smile on her face. She was curious but then Tertius so often surprised her - usually, of course, not in a good way. She nodded with a little chuckle. "Of course, husband." And as the litter halted to a juddering stop, she took the hand of a harried house slave and exited first, moving through the domus. Slaves were immediately there to take her palla and she deposited it in their arms. It was...odd...and painfully unnerving how quickly she'd been able to fall into the practices and habits of a born and bred senatorial woman. 

And then, free of her burden, she padded through into the garden - sandals slipped off - as she enjoyed the feeling of grass under her feet and the scent of flowers. She exhaled and stood in its mid-winter beauty. It was cold for Rome, but she didn't mind. It wasn't cold compared to her home. She closed her eyes and sent a silent, quick prayer to her own Gods not to forsake her - changed as she was - and then she moved to take a seat on a bench. Then she heard Tertius' footfalls and glanced up. "Come to present my present?" she teased, with a quirked brow.

• Like 1

Where could she have gone? Tertius went to the bathing area of the house first, since she talked of a bath when they got home... so she might already have told the slaves to get it ready. But she wasn't there. Tertius continued moving, until he saw her in the garden. Quietly he walked out there, his one hand curled into a fist, holding something for her inside. She sat on a bench and he smiled when he saw her perched there, she was stunning to look at... like some foreign goddess in his own home. Someone who had been so good to him and even come with him to the temple. And would see more. And she said she was happy with him. 

"I have." Tertius said and sat down next to her and inhaled a breath, as if he had to gain a little bit of courage for this, "I should have given this back to you long ago, I suppose." He took her one hand and opened it up and then opened his closed hand over it, handing the gift over to her. The old, worn, braided leather bracelet he took from her what seemed like a lifetime ago. And it wasn't more than a few years. But so many things had happened between them since that day. Yet he recalled he said he would give it back to her someday. Today was that day. He hoped she'd not hate him again, for bringing up the past, but it seemed like the right thing to do. 

Tertius found he almost held his breath while he waited for her reaction. He really had gone soft, hadn't he? 

@Sara

• Like 1

Charis gave him a curious look as he moved into the garden. He seemed nervous and nerves weren't something she regularly saw in Tertius. He was usually so...severe. Hard to read, of course, but always confident of himself and his abilities. She nonetheless gave him a small, warm smile as he took a seat on the bench and picked up her hand, uncurling her fingers to deposit something in it. She frowned. 

And then she opened it and she felt a knife slice straight through her heart. Immin had given it to her - a small token, nothing especially grand - but he'd braided the leather himself and she had worn it every day for years. Until Tertius had stripped it from her arm. She recalled his words even now: There’s no need to cling to a husband, who is no longer here. This is your present life, and you're mine now. She strove to keep her face as neutral as she possibly could. But it was agonising. Agonising to remember that moment, which had so shortly preceded him taking her to his bed for the first time, agonising to remember that she had once - long ago - had another husband. One who cared for her. Loved her. Never asked more than she was prepared to give. And it was agonising not to know what to do.

She didn't know whether this was a test. Whether he was giving it to her to see whether she'd accept it, accept back a reminder of a life he had commanded her to forget. Or was he doing it out of kindness? That she didn't know almost made her tear up but she kept them at bay, keeping her voice neutral. When she spoke, her voice was quiet and she was looking over the bracelet in her palm; "I can't accept this." She said with a swallow and a deep exhale. She hated herself. She hated everything about herself in that moment. "It is from another life. Another time. I want to move forward, not look back." she wanted to cry, but didn't. 

• Like 1

Tertius didn't know what she'd think. Would she appreciate the gift? Would she resent him for giving it to her, after all this time? Would it bring up too many bad memories or would she realize this was his way of saying, that he trusted her and cared for her? Tertius almost held his breath while she opened her hand and looked at the bracelet he'd placed there. Many long moments passed, before she finally spoke, not looking at him, but at the bracelet. She said she couldn't accept the gift and that it was from another life. She didn't wish to look back. Not exactly what he'd hoped for, but what did he really think would happen? He was being sincere though. The bracelet was hers. And there was a deeper meaning to him giving it back to her.

"I should have given it to you, the day you were freed." Tertius then said, "It's yours, after all. And when I took it... I said I'd give it back to you, once you'd proved yourself to me. You have done that, Charis." Many times, probably. But she his wife now and this had been a special day. Tertius lifted a hand to touch her chin, maybe she'd look up at him, "I don't want you to... resent me. I want to move forward too. This is my way of saying that I believe we can, both of us. Together." 

@Sara

• Like 1

She swallowed as he began to talk, her eyes still focused on the small leather bracelet in her palm. It was so crude compared to the jewellery she now owned and saw on other women but at the time of its gifting she had felt like the most special woman in the world. Like it was the finest thing she could imagine wearing - more for its maker and its symbolism than anything. But now it weighed her palm down like a lead weight rather than giving her any joy.

She only barely heard him but she felt his fingers brush her chin and she moved her face to look at his after a moment. He didn't want her to resent him? She'd proven herself? He wanted to move forward? She stove off tears with her resolute personality but it was a close call. She searched his face for a long moment. She wished she could believe him; wished that he would never be cruel, or unkind, or paranoid again. She didn't. History in this house had taught her that would never be likely. 

But she knew he needed to hear that she believed him, and that she was grateful for the gift. She closed her fingers over it and nodded, moving her spare hand to cup his cheek. She offered him a smile - it was small but it was there. "Thank you. Tertius. I...am grateful." She stroked her thumb over his cheekbone. "But I want to move forward too. What this..." She gestured with her closed fist, "Represents is gone." and never, ever coming back. She remembered Alexius saying he felt so alien when he'd visited Germania. Unwelcome. She suspected she would be now too, should she ever go back. Trying to drown out those thoughts she leant in for a soft kiss instead. 

• Sad 1

She listened quietly and Tertius wasn't sure if he'd made a mistake or what. Perhaps he should not have done this. But it felt like the right thing to do, after this morning with her... this day. He had enjoyed it with her and it would seem she'd enjoyed it too. They had asked for Vesta's blessing and would have to move forwards, together. The bracelet was a reminder of the past, but also a token of trust. He had not trusted her back then, when he took it. He wanted to trust her now. And prove that. By giving it back to her. 

He watched her close her fingers around the bracelet and she touched his cheek with a small smile and thanked him. Repeated that she wanted to move forward and that her past was gone. That much was true. But she didn't give him the chance to reply as she leaned in to kiss him and Tertius returned her soft and sweet kiss, his hand still under her chin and it moved to rest against her cheek. He cared for her and now that she was his wife, he could finally dare to show it.

"You've done something to me since the start, Charis... my wife..." He whispered, "You still do." He said with a smile against her lips and pulled a little back to watch her, "Did you want to bathe? Would you mind if I joined you?" 

@Sara

• Like 1

She tilted her face into his palm as he cupped her cheek and breathed that she'd done something to him since the moment they'd met. That felt like so long ago. She'd been a dirty, dishevelled, angry young woman who had been dragged the full length of the empire. She'd lost a child, had been chained and than he'd seen her. She could barely even speak Latin. Now she was here - his wife in almost all respects, fluent in her words (or almost), a mother to his son. How was it possible that so much could change in only two years and nine months or so? 

She felt him smile against her lips and then pull back. She arched a brow, chuckling. "No." She said, fingers still sweeping across his cheek. "I wouldn't  mind." Still gripping the bracelet in her other hand she moved to stand and reached down to take his hand with her spare one, pulling him along to the small bathing complex he had in his domus. On the way she placed the bracelet into the hand of a slave with the instruction that it should be placed in her room. Once they were in the bathing room - with slaves hurrying to set it up she sighed. So much luxury, but at what cost? 

She reached up to start pulling out the pins that held up some of her hair, silently contemplating. 

• Like 1