Sister and Brother

Atrice

She grinned, triumphant, and nodded. "After I was thrown from your fathers house I was..." She sighed, "Irritated. And needed to find you. I heard that the Emperor is important here...like a chief, back home, and so I refused to leave until he admitted me but he didn't and his brother walked out instead." She grinned again and nudged him.

"He is a good man. Odd...and quiet...and young, but nice. I think he thinks I am simple...or maybe not simple, I think he thinks he can use me. But he cannot. I am just there for a bed, and until I found you. He helped me with that too." She smiled, more softly  this time. "But I do not care where you live. I would rather be with you, brother, in a shack than in a palace by myself." She stretched her hand across the table for him to take. "I have missed you."

TAG: @Atrice

• Like 1

Hilda had such a temper compared to himself, he thought. Perhaps he did take after his father in that. His mother was kind, but she too could have a temper... the Chatti women were not to be messed with, they could speak for themselves. Roman women were different, they'd never do what Hilda had done. Walking up and meeting the Emperor's brother and now she stayed in the palace. She said the man was good, but quiet and nice. Although naturally he suspected he could use her for something. She said he helped her find Wulfric. Really? 

He took her hand when she reached out for his, "I've missed you too, sister. But really, I'm sure your place at the palace is much better. Maybe you could get me inside too?" He suggested and looked up as a dark-haired woman placed two plates of stew in front of them and smiled with an arched brow at Hilda, wondering who Wulfric was to her. But she said nothing and left again, as they had already paid for the food.

"Maybe once we've finished, I will show you my home. Then you'll see what I mean. It was what I could get when I first came here, with barely any coin and then... time just flew by. It does in a city like this." He added and pulled his hand back from hers to taste the food. It wasn't all that bad.

@Sara

• Like 1

She grinned at him and it settled into a smirk. "I can ask the young man, he likes me well enough I think." Probably for novelty factor for now, but she was willing to capitalise on it. But she nodded at his suggestion and ate her stew. It was not so bad. 

They finished quickly, paying for the cheap meal and exiting the place. The pair of them - obviously foreign with Wulfric's beard and clothes and her own, prompted a few stares from passers by. "It's far?" she asked as they started walking down one of the hills into a part of Rome she hadn't yet explored. 

• Like 1

While they ate and Hilda had said that the Emperor's brother liked her well enough, Wulfric considered their future. Also her future. She was his sister, after all, and she'd left her late husband's family and come to Rome. Could she marry into the Imperial family here, he wondered? If he made a good impression, like she clearly had. Now that would be something. A good connection to Rome. That surely would be a good thing, also to ensure that the Romans would never try and conquer his lands again, like they'd done in the past. Like his father's ancestor had done in the past. 

There were many things to consider and they finished eating and left the thermopolia. Walking down the streets of Rome, Wulfric had long since learned to not care about people looking oddly at him and he hoped Hilda wouldn't mind. People from many parts of the Empire came to Rome. There were so many different people here. 

"It's not very far, no." Wulfric promised her, leading her towards the subura where he had his simple flat in an insula, "Again, know it's not much. This is not exactly the wealthiest part of Rome." He added, as they walked through the gate to the area, which clearly marked the different layer of society living here. 

@Sara

• Like 1

She followed her brother, ignoring the looks that were shot their way. She had been here long enough that she really should have adopted some of the Roman fashions for women - Tiberius would have likely paid for garments if she'd asked for them - she was sure, but she chose not to. It was a purposeful choice and as she tossed her long blonde braid over her shoulder, she was proud of it. 

Wulfric led them down into the subura and she glanced around. This part of the city felt...dirtier. More threatening. It was as if one could feel the change as they walked under the gate that led to this part of the city. She saw the phalli everywhere, the women baring their breasts loitering in the doors of brothels, men who looked far too drunk for this time of the day. She winced and glanced at Wulfric. "Why did you choose here?" She demanded as they walked through and she wound her arms around herself. "When you could have stayed anywhere, surely?"

• Like 1

Wulfric didn't feel so bad, walking through this part of Rome, but he was also used to it by now. He barely noticed that the streets were less clean than what they came from, that the people were wearing more worn clothes and looked less... well... wealthy. The brothels he ignored, he'd had his share of that and it wasn't a very good experience. He still felt bad for Ione, but how could he approach her, even after she came to make amends? He wanted to help her. But she didn't belong to him. She wasn't his unless he paid for her. 

He barely noticed how his sister looked at their surroundings as they walked, until she asked why he chose this place. Wulfric looked at her, how she'd wound her arms around herself.

"It was cheap. I had little to do with, when I got here. And now I'm used to it." He said and shrugged, "They're not all bad people. Many of them are foreigners, like us. And they're so far removed from people like my father, as people can be here." He added with a smile, "So that helps too. Here we are." He stopped in front of an insula and led the way inside and up the stairs to the third floor and the balcony leading towards his room, "I hope you're ready, sister. I think you'll prefer your palace."

And so he unlocked the door to his simple room, with the one mattress on the floor with a woolen blanket, a few shelves and a chest for storage and a window towards the street, with a worn curtain in front of it. There was still light from the day falling in, at least. It didn't look like much. He almost held his breath, waiting for his sister's reaction, recalling how his last visitor, Ione, had reacted when she first saw it. She'd been kind, but he knew she was unimpressed too.

@Sara

• Like 1

"Foreigners and people not like your father, I am fine with. The poverty less so." She said with a roll of her eyes as they moved through the streets until they came to a tower block she'd come to realise housed the poor of Rome. She quirked a brow at her brother, saying nothing as he led her up the stairs, along the balcony until they drew to a stop in front of his door. She merely smirked at his words, brow still arched and then he unlocked it and she blinked into the dimness. 

What the fuck? 

She didn't even enter it - she had no need to - she could see everything there was to see standing on the balcony. The sad little mattress, the blanket, the chest...and some shelves. That was it. She blinked again, as if this were to be some practical joke. And then when she realised it wasn't and her brother was standing, waiting for her reaction, she rounded on him with a choke. "You are a Prince of our people and this is how you present yourself to Rome?!" She yelled, prompting a cry of 'shut the fuck up!' from somebody else in the building. "No wonder they don't take you fucking seriously Wulfric!" She scoffed and moved to swing the door shut again so she didn't have to look at it. "Who would think you worthy of audience that you live in a fucking hovel," She scoffed and moved to walk down the stairs. "You are unbelievable, brother. And to think one day you may lead our people!" 

• Sad 1

So far Hilda was unimpressed with this part of Rome and while he could see why, he also knew she was just seeing the surface. He'd lived here for a long time now. He knew the place, the area, the people here. And Rome was so much more than the temples, the arena, the palace, the fine and wealthy houses. Rome was mostly this. And Wulfric was a man of the people, not a man above the people. He didn't need much. But now he feared, as he'd done earlier, to find out what his sister would say about his very humble abode. She followed him up to the third floor, where he unlocked the door. She didn't even enter it, she just stood there, looking at his home... and then she turned to face him, suddenly yelling and angry. Wulfric blinked, while she continued to speak down to him, as if he was some slave owned by a fancy Senator like his father. 

Hilda turned to leave and mocked him one last time. Wulfric closed his door and followed her. Grabbed her arm.

"You wanted to see it. You insisted! And you were the one who said, earlier, that no matter what, we should stick together. But maybe you forgot!" Wulfric said, getting upset too as he spoke, but he let go of her arm again, "You may want to stay in Rome when I leave. You already sound like them!" 

@Sara

• Sad 1

Hilda's eyes snapped to her brothers face as he gripped her arm and she was prevented from leaving, held firm to face him. He was furious. She rarely saw her generally even-tempered older brother actually, properly angry but she'd evidently provoked something in him. She felt the faintest hint of guilt gnaw at her insides. Well fuck. 

She snatched her arm away as he finally let go, glowering intently at him. "I leave to go to Tiberius, and see if he will house you too, brother! Because I want to stick together, but somewhere more fitting for us. For you.She explained, trying to get him to understand. She huffed, crossing her arms across her chest again. "I am angry because of how they treat you, brother, and for how you let them force you into this...into this place!" She huffed and moved to lean on the balcony, glaring at him. "We must make them see you as an important man. Make them respect you." 

• Like 1

She was the one who insisted on coming here to see his home. That it would be fine and she would be happy with him anywhere. She almost said she'd live with him, but now she had seen it, she turned on her heel to leave. Wulfric rarely lost his temper, he'd even tried his hardest to talk when that guard ended up beating him. But a Roman he didn't know was one thing. This was his sister. Who fled to Rome after she'd risked bringing battle upon their tribe. And then she spoke to him like he was a slave or something? She did sound like the Romans to him. He'd heard how they spoke to their slaves and even some foreigners. And he wouldn't stand it.

She seemed surprised enough when he grasped her arm and then he finally let go; she snapped it back, saying she would speak to Tiberius - the prince - to see if he'd house Wulfric. She spoke of respect and treatment, but at least now she wasn't leaving.

"But I'm not here to be a prince. That's not why I came." Wulfric said, "And no one forced me to stay here. Being a good leader has nothing to do with how you live. It's how you treat others. How you speak. How you behave." He lifted his chin a bit, she certainly had a lot to learn in that department. Wulfric inhaled a breath, he hated being upset, it wasn't him. His body was almost tingling from it and it wasn't a nice feeling... could they go back to before he showed her this place? At least he knew how to speak and behave... "Next time, maybe consider your words before you turn your heel on me. Don't make me think you hate me." 

@Sara

• Sad 1

She threw up her hands in pure frustration, glaring at him. "You are so idealistic, Wulfric!" She choked and then planted her hands on her hips as she took him in. The problem with Hilda, much like their extended family, she didn't know when to back down...or soften her approach. Her brother was clearly distressed and yet she kept pushing. She said to herself it was for his own good. 

"Everything matters! Where you live, the respect you get from Romans...the Tencteri aren't all we need to worry about." She swallowed. "If we do not project strength to these people they will use us. I have already found Germanic slaves here. I would not have that for us, nor for our people because they think we are not worthy of respect as free people with a free nation." She tossed her hair over her shoulder. "You did not come here as a Prince, but you are one, so act like it." 

Her fingers gripped her waist and she shook her head. "I do not hate you brother, I love you - I am trying to help, do you not see that?" 

• Sad 1

She glared at him. He was idealistic? Well it was a good thing one of them were, at least! She went on about how they needed respect and she'd seen German slaves. Well there were slaves from all over the known world here, why should it be any different for the rest? At least their people beat the Romans once! Wulfric inhaled a deep breath and turned away from her, when she said he should act like a prince. Resting his hands on the railing of the balcony, while she said she didn't hate him and was trying to help.

"And you think you're helping me by saying I'm not worthy of my title? By calling me unbelievable? You're helping me by saying you don't believe in me?" He said, still not facing her. How could he face her when she spoke to him like that? How could he look at her? If this was her way of showing love, she wasn't making it very believable!

"You didn't even come here for my sake, you came here because you're in trouble! And now you're telling me what to do?" He turned to face her again. He hated this now. He hated it more than anything! He'd been puzzled about seeing her, but also glad. Now that feeling had seeped away and she was his sister. He should be glad. But she was making it very hard. No wonder his father had sent her away too... "If you want me to act like a prince, you start by treating me like one. Don't go and do things for me, unless I tell you to. Or at least ask me! Don't turn on me like you just did. Sister." 

@Sara

• Sad 1

Wulfric was mad. She winced as he turned away from her, huffing and staring out from the balcony. Rationally she knew she probably deserved his fury. It didn't mean that she liked it though. But she ground down on her teeth to keep from snapping in retort, letting him rant instead. None of what he was saying was incorrect, of course, but it came back down to their very divergent personalities. Where Wulfric was even-tempered and well-mannered, Hilda was brusque and forthright. Where Wulfric saw diplomacy in one way, she saw it in another. Had she been born a boy she suspected they would have clashed even more...to likely bloody ends when inheritance and birthright came down to it. Fortunately for both of them, she was a woman. Albeit one with very strong views.

When he was done, she was staring at him. Glaring, more like. He had - in his own way - ordered her. She bristled against it but offered him a tight smile. "May I speak?" She asked, although naturally didn't wait for a response. "I treat you like my brother, who I love. Who I want to see as the leader of our people one day - strong, untouchable, respected, feared." She tossed her long blonde hair over her shoulder. "You're right, I came to you for help. But I would have thought you would take my advice, or at least listen to my counsel because I see that you need help too. I'm not an idiot, brother. Nor am I useless." She strove to keep her voice neutral but annoyance peeped through. "I work whilst I am here, to secure Roman support. Which we will need in the future, I guarantee you. Peace will not last forever."

She huffed and moved to look over the balcony. "If you would have me gone I'll leave you. And go back to my Palace." 

• Sad 1

Wulfric was trying hard to not lose it with his sister. She was his sister, after all, no matter how she spoke to him. Here in Rome, all that had was each other. This morning he was alone and now she was here. And now she barely considered him worthy of being the leader of their people. She still glared at him, after he spoke. Gods, he didn't want to be feared! He wanted to be liked! He didn't want to rule with fear, he didn't want his people to only do as he said, because they feared him. He would rule with care, he wanted people to do his bidding because he wanted them to, not because they had to. Wulfric was no Roman. They ruled like that. His own father seemed to rule like that. He would not. She didn't let him interrupt though. Said they needed Roman support and then she asked to leave him there. As if they were done.

"Your palace? It's yours now?!" He rolled his eyes, "You're not going anywhere, until we've sorted this out. And if you are, I'm coming with you. I think I'll prefer meeting the Roman rulers myself. You don't need to speak on my behalf." He was much more diplomatic than she was, much more well-behaved. She might not be useless, but she was too harsh. The Romans didn't like people who acted like they were stronger than the Romans. You'd get nowhere with that. That much he'd learned.

But she wanted him to act like a prince? Well he would. If he had to. Not that he liked bossing people around, but she left him with little choice, "Oh, and... as far as I know, you don't counsel people by telling them they're not worthy. That's how you offend them." Wulfric went on, "So, sister... you can apologize. And then we will go to the palace." 

@Sara

• Like 1

"I am not going anywhere? You forbid it?" She spoke over him with a choke. She had been absent from her brother for over six years. A lot had changed, including how she took remarks like that. She had always been forthright and focused, but now she had the confidence of a woman. She wasn't a girl anymore, and she wouldn't cower to her brothers demands of her.

"You are too easily offended." She snapped, throwing up her hands and rounding on him, fire in her eyes. "I was shocked and unhappy with where you live. You are the one causing both a scene, and offence. You do not know when to let things lie brother. I do apologise if my words offended you or you  thought them too harsh," She took a step closer to him. She was shorter, but tilted her chin so she could look in his eyes, "But you must apologise to me. I will not be ordered around like some common thrall by my own brother. The brother I am trying to help. You forget what home is like, I fear, having been here too long. We speak our minds. We don't play games. And we admit when we've been a prick."

• Like 1

Wulfric felt like tearing his hair out, she was too much! First she was upset over him not acting like a prince and now... now she was upset that he did! That he would give her orders, but how else could he make her understand? Apparently not like that either. He let out a huff at her and then she snapped too, claiming he was too easily offended and now he was the one causing a scene. And offence? Really? At least she apologized and he almost relaxed, but only for a moment, before she wanted his apology too. For what? For giving her orders? 

"I'm the one who's been a prick? I didn't start by offending you! You started. After you insisted on seeing my home, despite what I told you beforehand!" Wulfric said. Somewhere down the balcony someone stuck their head out and said they should take their fight to the pits. Wulfric yelled back at them, they could go to the pits themselves! 

"You need to learn to choose your words before you speak. Would you not have felt it an insult, if someone told you, what you told me before... when you turned away, not telling your purpose, but simply uttering offensive words at me?" Wulfric shook his head, she did need to learn to think before she spoke! But then he looked at her again, her size compared to his was more clear when she stood so close, "I accept your apology. That should be enough." Sisters, right? 

@Sara

• Haha 1

He was right. She supposed she would have taken it as offence. But she was his sister. 

"Yes, I would have been insulted but I am your blood.She said with a groan of frustration, pushing her hands through her long blonde hair in utter annoyance. "We should be able to be honest, brother!" A few more yells came up from the apartments and balconies close by and she huffed. "I tell you these things to help and you are being stubborn! It's a fucking apartment, I said things in haste that I should not have but come on," She groaned, rolling her eyes. "All of this anger? At me? Really." She folded her arms across her chest. "I think you're taking out other things you're annoyed about on me. And I don't like it." She gave him a challenging look.

"I am done with this argument." She huffed and tugged on her tunica to straighten it. "I need a drink." She narrowed her eyes at him. "Will you join me, brother?" 

• Like 1

She was right, they should be able to be honest. But why talk like that, when you were being honest? Why not use more friendly terms, try and get your meaning through in a more peaceful way, rather than turning on your heel to stomp away with angered words... just because something she insisted on seeing, wasn't what she expected? When she was about to leave, she did not tell him she would go to this Tiberius to ask him to house Wulfric too. No, she just went to leave. And if he hadn't stopped her, he'd never have known her purpose. Why did some people lose their temper so easily? 

And now he was being stubborn, what about her? Crossing her arms like that, upset that he was upset at her. She started it. Apparently they were adults, but not that mature after all. They were still siblings too. And his sibling did think he was annoyed about other things. Was he though? Maybe he was. Wulfric sighed and she said she was done.

"A drink sounds good." Wulfric agreed, "And then we go to the palace. Together." He added, just to be clear on that one, "It's not been easy for me here, you know. Much of the time, yes. But not all of the time." His father was part of it, but not all of it. There was also the issue with Charis. Who'd been kind at first, but then turned on him. Maybe her change of mind was part of why she was suddenly free and married to his father? Because she sided with him? She played her part well then. She got what she wanted. Wulfric didn't.

@Sara

• Sad 1

Hilda huffed but nodded in agreement, unwilling to entertain much more arguing. Best case scenario should that happen, she'd storm off and they'd likely not speak to one another for a few days. Worst case scenario and one of the dwellers of the building bashed them over the head with an amphora for all the racket they were making. "Fine. Drink and then palace." She agreed, turning on her heel to leave but then he spoke again and she stopped, glancing over her shoulder at him.

She sighed and turned back around to face him, moving her hand to grip his cheek. "I am sorry, brother." And then she dropped her hand studying him, eyes narrowed. This was not the Wulfric she remembered. "Your father?" 

• Like 1

She wasn't happy about it, but she agreed with him. That they would have a drink and then go to the palace together. He turned briefly to lock his door again, protecting the few possessions he had and then, as they left, he had an admission. She wasn't entirely wrong when she spoke of his anger not just being directed at her. Wulfric was rarely very angry at all, he didn't like being angry. He preferred talking rather than fighting. Maybe he was too passive for his sister, but that was his way, not hers. She stopped and turned to face him, when he admitted things hadn't always been easy here. She touched his cheek and asked if it was his father.

"Obviously." He said with a roll of his eyes and motioned that they could begin leaving the cheap insulae, "But Romans in general... or, people here... as you say, our people are more honest. We speak our minds more easily. Here, it's not the same. Trust is not the same." He explained, "Those who treat you with kindness... either they turn their backs on you. And if they don't, it's because they can't." Like Ione. She'd come back to make amends. But she had nothing. And no reason to turn her back on him. Charis on the other hand, had plenty of those. It was only his half-brother Teutus who seemed like a decent man here. Iophon too. But few others, if any.

"What did you offer the Roman prince, in turn for your place in the palace? Or did he ask something of you?" He wondered, following the same train of thought. Even this Tiberius probably couldn't be trusted. If a Roman had power, he had it for a reason. And he would use it. That's what Wulfric had learned so far.

@Sara

• Like 1

Hilda also rolled her eyes as her brother did and released her hand as he moved to leave the balcony with a thinly suppressed 'tsk' sound of annoyance. She sighed though, as he explained. "You think of somebody in particular?" She arched a brow. "Or people? People that have turned their backs on you?" She narrowed her eyes on him as they descended the stairs slowly. She wanted to know - know exactly what her brother had been doing in his time here besides working at the docks and sleeping in a hovel. He was keeping his cards close to his chest though and she pressed; "You know you can talk to me, right?" She was going to add 'because I won't judge you' but she didn't think Wulfric would believe her. 

Instead she huffed as he posed his question. "No. There was no price, and no he didn't ask anything of me - I didn't bed him, if that's what you were asking." She scoffed and folded her arms over her chest. "He wants diplomacy. Friendship." She shrugged. "He's a young man, foolish, full of ideas but...useful. He found you, didn't he?" 

• Like 1

She sighed when he spoke of how people here weren't to be trusted. Because they weren't honest. Hilda wondered if someone in particular had turned their back to him and then said he could talk to her. Could he though? Considering how she just reacted to him showing her his home? He'd been honest, he'd shown her his home as she had wanted and she'd been upset over seeing it. Gods, was he becoming Roman or something? Had he truly lived here too long? So long, that he would be like them and not trust his own family? 

"I know, it's just... I've been here on my own for a long time now. It's not so simple, to just... talk." At least it didn't feel like it. And he hated it. He shouldn't be like his father, afraid to speak his mind and afraid that people might hate him if he did. So instead his father would close himself off to people, instead of opening his home to a foreign son... "There's too much betrayal here." He then added, trying to pull himself together to tell her what the issue was. Or the issues, really. There was more than one. 

Meanwhile she could tell him what she'd done for the prince, for him to give her a home in his fancy palace and villa... and she huffed, saying there had been no price and she'd not bedded the prince either. Apparently all the prince wanted was diplomacy and friendship.

"He led you to me?" Wulfric said in a surprised tone, "Just be careful. Right now he wants diplomacy and friendship. But in the long run, Romans seem to want more. They did once try and march into our lands. Rumor has it they want to try again." 

@Sara

• Sad 1

She watched her brother with a sad sigh falling from her lips. He seemed so...she didn't know what the word was. Not himself, certainly. Sad...angry maybe. She reached out a hand to squeeze his shoulder. "Well...I'm here now. If you need me." she offered and watched him carefully. "And...betrayal always comes at a cost. You know that. Might not be immediate but there'll get their comeuppance. You thinking of anybody in particular?" Besides his father, obviously, who was a class-A prick. But they'd already established that. 

They walked and she nodded at his question. "Had his people on the streets looking for a sign of you, it's how I found you." otherwise finding him in the city would have been a needle in a haystack. Things were already a bit tenuous with her brother - even after just an afternoon - but she couldn't suppress her huff and a roll of her eyes. "I know, I know I'm not a moron. I will use him as long as we need him but I won't give him anything that crosses a line." She watched him and...for once in her life, tried to be the better person. Wulfric seemed like he could use cheering up. "But I'll listen to you on it brother. I welcome your advice." 

• Like 1

Wulfric clearly wasn't made to live in Rome - he wasn't like them and he didn't want to be like them. Even though he almost felt like a Roman, when he considered whether he could trust his sister, or not. It was hard to talk about these things. He hadn't really spoken so openly with anyone since he came here. Perhaps Ione, a bit, but that was it. And she was not his sister. Not at all. He felt Hilda's hand on his shoulder and she said she was here if he needed her. And if someone betrayed you, they'd get what was coming for them eventually.

"I don't know... I just kind of feel like Charis... his slave, that's now my father's wife? She seemed so friendly towards me at first. I feel we got along. And then she suddenly turned on me." He said, "It's obvious now though, why she did that. If she's now my father's wife." He rolled his eyes. He didn't want to trust anyone here now, at least not unless they proved themselves to him... and even when they did... it was hard. Ione had made amends. But it was still because of her - not that it was her fault - that he was beaten that time. It was his fault, but if it hadn't been because he'd liked her, it wouldn't have happened.

Then there was the issue with that prince Hilda met. Wulfric didn't wish to trust him either. Hilda explained how he helped her find Wulfric, and then said she would just use the man for as long as they needed him. Before adding that she would welcome his advice.

"I suppose I can make up my mind about him, once I meet him. But yes, be careful about crossing any lines with him. Don't let him have anything on you. Or us." He added, afraid that it would endanger his people. Perhaps his problem was that he cared too much about too many things and people. But how could he not? 

@Sara

• Sad 1

Hilda narrowed her eyes as she listened. His wife...was his slave? Right. She huffed. "She didn't like me, that much was obvious." She commiserated and then cast a glance sideways at her brother. "But then...she seemed very much under his thumb. She's young enough to be his daughter, right?" She scoffed, shaking her head. "And she said she would meet me, to talk but she never came." She frowned, "Which means she either got cold feet or...she couldn't because your father was watching. Have you spoken to her at all? Since she turned on you?" She asked. Hilda rarely, very rarely, gave people the benefit of the doubt but if she was ever to do it it was for a woman who might well be locked in an unhappy marriage as she had once been.

Nodding at her brothers instruction she mentally added, 'duh, I'm not an idiot' but chose not  to say it aloud...she was already on thin ice with Wulfric and didn't particularly wish to test his patience again, not after their argument. Instead, she hummed in contemplative silence for a moment. "They're so young. The rulers here. This Tiberius can't be any older than me." She shook her head, frowning. "Do you ever wonder what it would be like to take over the Chatti now? As young as you are?" 

• Like 1