"It's not an entirely lost cause? I'm a freedman. I was a gladiator. She's... so far removed from such a life and such things as one can be."

A patrician. A rich and important one, even if she was not an imperial. Poor Alexius. His chances really did seem slim.

"Well, on the bright side, she seems inclined to break some rules for you... If all else fails, she can have you as a secret lover." he pointed out. It was not a future most people wanted for themselves, but it was also a chance at being with someone who seemed perpetually out of reach. "Ovinia will never go for that. So I guess I can just... try to find a way to deal with this."

@Atrice

• Like 1

She didn't want to stop seeing him and he didn't want to stop seeing her, but he knew he should. He shouldn't hope for more, he shouldn't want more, but he wanted so much more with her. And she seemed to want the same. Perhaps this really was love. Even if it was a lost cause from the very beginning. Lucius then suggested Alexius could be her secret lover and said Ovinia would never go for that.

"That sucks." Alexius said, "I'm sure my... love..." Because that's what she was, wasn't it? Gods it kind of felt good to say it out loud! "...she would do that, but... should I then watch her get married, know that she sleeps with her husband and just... accept being on the outside, looking in, waiting..." Of course that's what Lucius suggested he'd have to do, but how could you even do that? It had been the same with Oriana. And Alexius had hated the thought of her sleeping with someone else... in the end, it drove them apart. Because what kind of a life was that, for him? Waiting for your beloved while she was married to another man, had to fulfill his wishes before she maybe had the time for her lover? Alexius sighed and reached for his wine again...

@Chevi

• Like 1

Lucius sighed. Alexius was not wrong about any of that, either. There was a chance, but it was a chance that came with a significant downside. Watching from the outside as the woman he loved married and lived with someone else. Even if she was willing to keep a lover... she would never be free. Lucius felt a pang of sadness. That was going to happen with him and Ovinia.

"I know" he refilled the wine. "I just want Ovinia to be happy. If she marries someone who will make her happy... I will have to step aside. I just... do not want to watch her be unhappy. There really is no good solution to any of this." He frowned. "Other than taking the ladies and running off to Parthia or something, I guess."

@Atrice

• Like 1

This was going nowhere. He wasn't sure if he had actually believed that Lucius would be able to help him, but they weren't even helping each other. Only with Lucius' idea about how they could both see their ladies again, but the future... it didn't look so good. Alexius didn't like the thought of Calpurnia marrying and keeping him on the side, even if it meant he could still be with her. It felt like it would be a very painful way to die within. Alexius downed more wine and Lucius agreed with him, then said he wanted Ovinia to be happy. And he'd step aside if someone else could make her happy.

"I think she'd be happiest with you." Alexius said with a small smile to his friend and then chuckled at Lucius' next suggestion, "Oh don't think I haven't considered it! Just running away with her, leave all this behind... but it wouldn't be right, would it? And what if they manage to track us down anyway. Then it would have been for nothing. It's so fucked." Alexius continued and looked at Lucius, this was really going nowhere... "More wine?" Because that seemed the only good solution right now.

@Chevi

• Like 1
  • Sad 1