Delivery for... a friend?

Sharpie

Teutus Quinctilius Varus

0XDUAaTB_o.png

May 77

It had taken a couple of weeks but eventually Teutus had received back the dyed cloth Ovinia Camilla had ordered - one dress length of silk dyed a rich emerald green and one length of Hispanian merino wool dyed a deep blue, together with one full measure of spun wool, undyed, plus the glass vase packed carefully in its own crate and padded all around with straw. He had brought Jennus with him to carry the fabric and spun wool, but took charge of the crate himself.

He presented himself at the door where the ostiarius peered out through the spyhole at him. He adjusted his pallium, letting the brooch catch the sunlight momentarily - reluctant son of a Praetor he might be, but he was, nevertheless, the son of a Praetor and knew how to present himself to good effect and not get sent around to the rear entrance like a slave.

"Teutus Quinctilius Varus to see Ovinia Camilla," he said, though Jennus could no doubt make the introductions for him.

The door creaked open, allowing admittance for them both.

@Sara

Edited by Sharpie
  • Like 1

Ovinia was stood, hands on hips, in one of the rooms that led from the peristyle garden examining the piles and piles of chitons and pallas draped out. Her room - whilst luxurious and certainly comfortable - only had one small high window and it was no good for seeing the true colours of her clothes. Hence she'd demanded the slaves carry most of them out into the open-sided room so she could get a better look ahead of a dinner with a potential suitor tonight. Not one she was hugely enthused for, but one she figured she should make the effort for nonetheless. 

She was presently holding up a deep yellow chiton, clutching it over her body and asking Lucia's opinion as a slave quietly padded through and announced the arrival of Teutus Quinctilius Varus. Ovinia tossed her hair over her shoulder, looking at him and then behind him to see Teutus entering. She grinned broadly and spun to face him. "Teutus." She inclined her head. "You're a man of taste, what do you make of the yellow?" She gestured with a laugh to the gown she was holding up. 

TAG: @Sharpie

• Like 1

Teutus Quinctilius Varus

0XDUAaTB_o.png

"What's the occasion?" Teutus enquired, coming closer and giving the bow that no doubt the lady's father and slaves would expect of a freedman merchant coming to deliver his wares to the patrician daughter of a Praetor. "I seem to recollect you telling me once that yellow made you look ill, although that particular shade is very nice against your hair and eyes."

It would make Charis look ill, but Ovinia had stronger, darker colouring and could carry it off.

"I don't think that yellow looks fine as this green," he added, indicating that Jennus could put his burdens down, and extracting the deep green silk she had requested. He smiled. "Although I also don't think you can have the dress made up in time for this afternoon."

@Sara

Edited by Sharpie
  • Like 1

"A dinner with a potential suitor." She wrinkled her nose, as if she found the thought distasteful and then grinned, rolling her eyes. "You have the memory of a man double your years but I meant light yellow. A jewel tone? I find it suits me." Her dark eyes, dark hair - both almost black, coupled with her colouring inherited through generations from Hispanian relatives, suited bold colours. And a bold personality, which she had in spades. 

She arched a brow and palmed off the yellow to her slave as Teutus pulled out the green silk. She gasped in delight. "It's beautiful." She murmured and took a step forward to run her fingers over the silk. She smiled at him, genuinely and nodded. "I'm half tempted to tell none of my friends about you, you know, so I can keep you and your wares to myself." Chuckling, she took the silk from him and held it up to herself, taking a few paces back. "Well?" 

• Like 1

Teutus Quinctilius Varus

0XDUAaTB_o.png

"Be careful, Ovinia Camilla - one might get the impression you'd rather not marry anyone at all," Teutus said lightly. Though he himself had only been one suitor, and a totally unsuitable suitor at that. "Jewel tones suit you very well indeed."

He could see her in red, or blue, or green - even purple, although he was not about to say that aloud and risk her father learning of it. The man might grow plans to marry Ovinia to Titus Caesar - certainly he didn't think that the Camillus paterfamilias was lacking in ambition in the least.

"I couldn't sell you all of my stock, though," he said. "My challenge surely is to give every one individual attention and tailor things to each person so that you all turn out with the very best Rome can offer. You have the privilege of discovery, though - you may boast of being the first among your friends to buy anything from the esteemed Teutus Quinctilius Varus, and that is a boast you may make for all time. There can only be one first, after all."

He smiled as she held the cloth up, the pleasure in her eyes was everything. "It suits you perfectly - I only wish I had been able to bring it earlier so that you could have it already made up for your suitor. A wordless demonstration that you have a certain level of expectation from your husband, perhaps?"

Speaking of potential suitors and future husbands might be awkward, but their own initial awkwardness was long past by now. They could almost be friends, if her father would allow that.

@Sara

Edited by Sharpie
  • Haha 1

Ovinia gave Teutus a look of mock reproach before she chuckled, rolling her eyes and taking it with good humour. "I do wish to marry. It's just a shame that the eligible men are so..." She wrinkled her nose, mouthing the word rather than saying it lest her father overhear; 'old'... "And dry. If I have to hear one more story about a particular orator in the Senate, I'll walk into the middle of the Circus Maximus in the middle of  a race." She grinned and flicked her wrist for her slave to get some refreshments for both of them.

She moved to take a seat on one of the couches, gesturing for him to do the same in the chair opposite, stroking her fingers over the silk reverently. "I can't buy all your stock?" she tilted her head, a smile playing on her full lips, "I think you underestimate my fathers fortune." She grinned and then took a cup of watered, sweetened wine from her slave girl Lucia. "But I shall boast. Earnestly. You will be richer than Crassus once my friends are through with you...but please do keep some things back." She asked with a softer look. "Things you think will suit me. Things which my friends will die to have." 

She was still stroking the silk as he complimented the colour on her. She smiled, softer still. "Perhaps I'll save it for a man I truly wish to impress." She leant in a little, whispering. "And I do not think this particular Quaestor that I'm due to meet is that man." Pulling back she gave him an assessing look. "How have you been? Since our last meeting, Teutus?" 

• Like 1

Teutus Quinctilius Varus

0XDUAaTB_o.png

Teutus had to stifle a laugh at her silent mouthing of 'old'. "If they are all... that, then just how eligible are they, really? And surely your father has more criteria for them to meet than just whether or not they can put the Senate to sleep by droning on." It honestly couldn't be too hard to do that - half the Senate or more must be the same age as their respective fathers.

"You are more than welcome to buy as much of my stock as you like, Ovinia Camilla," he told her. He would far prefer to have her father's fortune in his own coffers, after all, and the more money the Senator spent on his daughter, the more money Teutus had for purchasing more stock, or to spend on his own desires. "You can have first refusal of whatever I get in, will that suit you?"

He would keep some things back for her, just as he would for his mother, and Charis, although he fancied that Ovinia's tastes were more refined. Varinia and Charis both liked pretty, simple things, Ovinia's tastes were doubtless more showy. She would be unlikely to glance twice at simple ivory hair-pins or a pair of earrings.

"I have been busy, though I doubt you'll be interested in hearing about shipping arrangements and the like. I am thinking about house-hunting, though. A few rooms in an insula are beginning to feel a little cramped now. Not the sort of place for a successful merchant with a distinguished clientèle, certainly."

He took the cup the slave had poured for him.

"If your father will allow it, I will send you an invitation to the house-warming party."

@Sara

Edited by Sharpie
  • Like 1

She chuckled, tucking her silky dark hair - so dark it was almost black - behind her ear. "I don't think age is a concern when it comes to their eligibility." She wrinkled her nose with a shrug. "I mean I think but do not know the criteria is...patrician, a stellar career up the cursus thus far either in the political or military sphere, a strong familial reputation and a good upward trajectory...I'm not sure there is a...limit. In age, I mean." She sighed and shrugged her shoulders. "I imagine he would rather I give said man an heir, so ideally he wouldn't have children already but..." She shrugged again and sighed, tossing her hair back over her shoulder, "I don't think that's a dealbreaker, especially with how few men actually fit the critical criteria." She chuckled although very little mirth actually met her eyes. She didn't want any man that did fit those criteria. The man she wanted fitted precisely none of them. 

But she was grateful as Teutus deftly steered the conversation onto lighter topics and she smiled, delighted, nodding. "Right of first refusal will suit me perfectly, thank you. You are welcome here fortnightly, perhaps? Or I could come to your warehouse?" It would warm her - to have a standing appointment with somebody she considered a friend, or the beginning of one anyway. And she listened with patience as he continued, answering her question although in no great depth - as if he was reticent to reveal much of himself. She wondered if that was a by-product of his upbringing, as if he felt like he couldn't or shouldn't talk of himself, even to somebody who was interested. Her brows rose at his offer though. "I...would like that." Her smile softened, becoming more genuine. "Although...it would depend on who else you invite, as to whether I'll be...allowed to attend. But I should like to meet your mother, I think." 

• Like 1

Teutus Quinctilius Varus

0XDUAaTB_o.png

Teutus clasped his hands around the wine-cup and sat back. "I don't think it's likely to be a very large party, to be honest with you. My father and his wife, my mother of course - I'm sure she would like to meet you, too. Probably some of the people from the insula where I live now." Not at all a large gathering - in all honesty, he didn't have very many people he wanted to invite. His mother might want to invite some friends; she was more likely to have actual friends she could invite than Teutus was, although it was highly likely that some or all of them might be ex-slaves too. He would send the invitation to Ovinia with the full expectation that it would be politely refused on her father's say-so.

He smiled at her offer; he would like to consider her a friend, if her father did not object to that as he had objected to Teutus' potential courtship, which had been unlikely to have borne fruit. "We could perhaps do turn and turn about - I visit here one week, and a fortnight later you come to see my latest stock at my warehouse? Just in case I get something in that you would like and which I can't bring to show you. Or that I don't realise you might want to buy."

Perfumes and spices and fine glassware and ceramics were all well and good to bring here, but he wasn't going to bring bolts of cloth or the like up the hill just on the off-chance.

@Sara

Edited by Sharpie
  • Like 1

Ovinia's brow quirked but all she said, lightly was; "Ah yes, I've heard of your fathers wife." oh how the rumour mill had swirled at that. A praetor in concubinatus with his freedwoman. A Briton at that! Her father had scoffed himself red in the face and she rather wondered whether it was because he had...different ambitions for the man. She thought his freedman son ill-suited but a handsome middle aged Praetor, a colleague, with no real heir (as he'd put it)...but either way it had obviously come to nought given well...said little Briton. She gave Teutus a polite smile though as he said friends from the insula. She was probably, perhaps, more intimately acquainted with them than even he was. Alexius, certainly, but also the red-head interprex and her lover. "I will insist I attend...or...try my best." She settled on. 

As he countered her invitation she smiled and nodded broadly. A chance to get out of the domus as she felt the walls starting to close in closer and closer as a marriage became more and more of a reality would be welcome. Besides, it gave her an excuse for...other pursuits. She could claim she spent hours at his warehouse, after all. She cleared the thought from her mind. That was not just why she wanted his friendship. "I would like that. Shall we say the ides, I'll come and visit?" 

Edited by Sara
  • Like 1

Teutus Quinctilius Varus

0XDUAaTB_o.png

Teutus' expression grew rueful; Charis was somewhat younger than he was, and if Tertius hadn't ordered her to his bed, Teutus might well have had a chance of... something, with her. There had been that morning in the garden, a few precious snatched moments that might have led to something had things not fallen out so very differently.

He was not about to spill any of that to Ovinia, however. "The rumours will eventually move on to the next thing, people have such short attention spans for gossip," he said, and sipped his wine. It wasn't the very best vintage - no doubt Ovinius Calpurnius had given specific orders that his very best wine was not to be wasted on some freedman tradesman - but it was more than pleasant enough.

"The Ides - I shall lay in some of my good wine for you and scour the premises for anything you might like," he said. "Perfumes, the finest spices from the distant East, beautiful glassware - that one vase might be the first in a priceless collection! What else might you like - I seem to recall that you said you already have enough jewellery?"

If he did manage to get some amber from the cold North, he would certainly set it aside for her, though.

@Sara

Edited by Sharpie
  • Like 1

She chuckled. Perfumes, spices, glassware...it all sounded beautiful. And very much in her interests. Still, he had the foresight to ask for anything else she might enjoy. She sighed, curling her legs under herself and considered the question. Her family had wealth even beyond her comprehension - anything she might want was,  within reason, available to her. Within reason. The thought made a small, secretive smile cross her lips. 

"Oddities. Things that nobody else has." She finally retorted. "And perhaps something a gentleman might enjoy-" She pre-emptively held up a finger to silence questions, "Not that I have any one in mind in particular," She did, "But it doesn't hurt to plan for a day when an engagement might be forthcoming." Or a secret liaison in an abandoned domus. "So anything you see that might be intriguing for a patrician man that has everything, as I do, would be good." Sipping her wine, she tilted her head to study him. "Are you subject to the tax yet?" Which was a very Ovinia way of asking if he was courting anybody. "I turned twenty last week so alas, you are in good company if you are." 

• Like 1

Teutus Quinctilius Varus

0XDUAaTB_o.png

"Things nobody else has," Teutus repeated, thoughtfully. Nothing came to mind that would fit her criteria, but that didn't mean he didn't have anything, or wouldn't ever receive such things. From the sound of it, she had in mind the masculine equivalent of things he was already looking out for, for her.

Interesting.

She was a woman of contradictions, seemingly - she was meeting someone this afternoon who was apparently being considered as a husband, yet she didn't have anyone in mind yet for what he might bring her. Very interesting.

He sipped his wine, thoughtfully, before lowering his cup again. "Patricians who have everything are notoriously hard to find novelties for, unless such things are truly exotic - silk from the distant east, ivory from the far south and amber from beyond the northern borders are perhaps my most exotic goods yet, but I will do my best."

He sighed. "I am, as of April last year. I haven't found anyone suitable yet - much like yourself, it seems."

@Sara

Edited by Sharpie
  • Like 1

"Thank you." She gave him a genuinely pleased smile. She thought it was just good business sense, to have a stash of various gifts she could pass on to dull suitors. Of course, it was far more typical for a man to give gifts to a woman than the reverse but Ovinia liked to surprise those who came calling. Besides, trinkets and trophy some far away land might soften the blow of an eventual rejection. 

She smiled in understanding at Teutus, nodding as her fingers flirted over the thick silver of her lunula pendant, resting against her breastbone. "And what sort of woman are you looking for, Teutus? Who might be suitable?" She asked as she sipped her wine before smirking and dropping her fingers from her pendant. "And if you say nice and pleasant and quiet and with hips for childbearing, I shall be sorely disappointed." She rolled her eyes, amused at the thought that was all her sex was good for.

• Like 1

Teutus Quinctilius Varus

0XDUAaTB_o.png

"Nice and pleasant and quiet and with hips for childbearing," he repeated, pausing for a moment before allowing the smile to appear. "That sounds so dull." Which brought to mind their very first ever conversation. "I wouldn't say no to those things, but all of those together just bring to mind a quiet mousy sort of girl and - don't you find girls like that irritating? I'd rather have someone with some sense, someone I could talk with, maybe. Laugh with, definitely."

Why was finding a wife such a complicated business... why was his entire life destined to be complicated?

He didn't need someone to run his home for him; he'd only recently found his mother, and she was perfectly good at that. And he didn't want someone who would poke her nose into how he conducted his business. So that probably just left him with the quiet mousy sorts, who would drive him to distraction.

"I don't know. What sort of man would you like to marry - don't tell me you want someone as rich as Croesus who's also as old as the hills and will leave you a rich widow within six months of the marriage." Ovinia would not be at all happy to find herself married to someone her father's age, after all - despite everything, Teutus wanted her to be happy.

@Sara

Edited by Sharpie
  • Haha 1

She laughed, relaxing back into her seat and tucking her legs up under herself as she kicked off her indoor sandals. It was nice to see him relax - Teutus, for as much as she considered him a friend - had always been so...formal, reserved...business-like. Seeing him amused warmed her. "I quite agree. Those sorts of girls drive me mad, I told one of them I was going to the Library of Palatine Apollo and she just blinked at me and asked why I wasn't visiting Juno's Temple instead." She rolled her eyes and sat back, fingers drumming against her windup, "As if it didn't occur to her that I could have two complimentary interests and do both." She huffed and shrugged. Idiots. "Although," She cautioned, "I would rather be shackled to a pretty mousy girl than a viper. There are plenty of those around too...do you have anybody in mind?" 

She stilled though, managing to swallow down her sip of wine at his question. LuciusLucius, who I've done...obscene things with, admitted my love to. Lucius. "I'm not sure." She managed to school her features back into a smirk. "It's ultimately not my decision," She leant in, speaking in a conspiratorial whisper, "Even if they claim it is." With a huff she sat back against her chair and considered his question. If it couldn't be Lucius, and the thought alone cleaved her heart in two, then... "Somebody who...treats me with respect. Allows me my interests, hobbies. Who asks for my opinions and takes them when I offer them unprompted." Her lips twitched a little, "Somebody with ambition, who doesn't just want to sit and get fat in the Senate. And passably handsome so I have pretty babies, would be a plus." She chuckled and then grimaced, "Is that too much to ask for, do you think? 

• Like 1

Teutus Quinctilius Varus

0XDUAaTB_o.png

Teutus clasped his hands around the wine-cup he was holding. "We live in a world with expectations," he answered her, shrugging. "It shouldn't be too much to ask for, but tradition and family duty and everything." And Ovinia was even more constrained than he was - at least he wasn't bound by his father's decision as to who he married. Well, if Tertius chose to enforce his role as paterfamilias, he could choose Teutus' wife for him.

However begrudgingly he admitted it, Tertius hadn't dictated Teutus' life for him, not since he'd freed his son. Which was one of those somewhat contradictory things about his father, though he was thankful for this particular contradiction. Control mattered to Tertius, greatly, and for him not to exert that control over Teutus... He ought to be more grateful to his father, really. It was just so very hard.

"You're making me sorry I'm not a suitable candidate," he said, his smile a little lopsided. He could never be a suitable candidate for a patrician girl like Ovinia, despite the fact his own father was a Senator of good standing - the child followed the mother and Varinia had been a slave when Teutus was born.

Although, having briefly met Ovinius Camillus, he had the sneaking suspicion he wouldn't be a suitable husband for Ovinia even if his mother had been a free woman when she gave birth to him.

"You forgot to mention that he needs to be wealthy enough to allow you to purchase all the goods I am to lay at your feet," he added lightly. "Although, I suppose that if he's a senator, that bit goes without saying.

@Sara

Edited by Sharpie
  • Like 1

Tradition and family and duty are everything. Yes, Ovinia thought, they were. They were all she'd spent her twenty years devoted to until...well...somebody had come along to disrupt her world and opened her eyes to the cloistered existence she had been living in. She had always wanted a nice, important husband whose influence she could wield as her own for charitable work or with other Patricians. She wanted a nice, spacious domus where she could host her friends to weave and gossip. She wanted children - not the one or two that were fashionable amongst her peers but a big brood, so many it was difficult to embrace them all in a hug. She wanted to be beautiful and spend time focusing on her appearance and her health. Those were her dreams, that was it. Until it all changed.

She hoped she wasn't flushing at the thought and sipped her wine contemplatively instead, offering Teutus a kind smile as she swallowed down a mouthful. "I'm sorry you're not. You'll make an excellent husband, Teutus, probably to somebody a little less...high maintenance than me?" She soothed with a little chuckle. In truth, she didn't know him well enough to know if that was entirely true but she had faith he would be. "And of course," her smile widened as she delved into the fantasy lands they were spinning, "Rich enough for a villa on every coast of Italia. And one in Greece." Chuckling she tucked her hair behind her ear. "And you never answered my question, if there was somebody you have in mind for yourself?" 

• Like 1

Teutus Quinctilius Varus

0XDUAaTB_o.png

"High maintenance?" Teutus said over the rim of his cup, one eyebrow lifting in a way that exactly mirrored the way his father's did, although he was completely unaware of the similarity to his father's expressions. "Surely not - although even if you are, isn't that allowable, even expected, of a Senator's daughter?"

He couldn't help thinking back to the awkwardness of their very first meeting, an awkwardness engendered by the fact he knew he was supposed to court Ovinia despite their unsuitability for one another. If there hadn't been that expectation - at least on his father's part - that conversation would have been far less awkward. Still, they seemed to be making up for that now.

"I'm sorry, I thought I had answered your question. No, there isn't anyone, at least not at the moment. I'm able to pay the tax, anyway." He would have to start looking, he supposed, although he didn't think that any candidates he thought suitable would meet his father's standards, and even as a freedman and illegitimate son, Tertius was still his patron and paterfamilias with right of veto over Teutus whether he chose to exercise it or not.

"I don't suppose your father has any nice single freedwomen amongst his clients?" he added lightly. Tertius didn't - the only ex-slaves he had in his own familia were Teutus himself and Charis, who he'd claimed himself as a concubine.

@Sara

Edited by Sharpie
  • Like 1

Ovinia Camilla

output-onlinegiftools-2.gif

Her lips twitched into a wry smile and she shrugged. "I suppose. What are Senator's daughters if not vain and demanding?" She certainly had her moments with both, although recently she was starting to see herself with the value she could add outside of just being beautiful and mute when around great men like her father and those who were paraded in front of her as potential husbands. She did have more to offer, although exercising that was the difficult part in a society which gave her such a narrow role to fill. The thought hurt her heart and she took a deeper sip of her wine before setting it down lest she finish the cup in unseemly haste. 

His question gave her pause and she tilted her head in contemplation. "No, not really. He has a few plebeian and equite clients though, several of whom have unwed daughters. I've met a few of them." Given she covered for her mother when she was abed, she often greeted the women who visited with their fathers. "Can you not aim a little higher than a freedwoman? You are young, handsome and with a profitable business. But - more importantly for their dear Papas - you are the son of a Praetor who is known and respected in the city. They might be willing to overlook the circumstances of your birth should your father be willing to attend courting meetings with you, or at least sing your praises for their dear old fathers." She chuckled, "Although, granted that didn't work on my own father, but I imagine that was because he was aiming a little too high." 

• Like 1

Teutus Quinctilius Varus

0XDUAaTB_o.png

"Freedwoman or plebeian - let's be honest, it's unlikely even an equite will want to be linked to my father's family if it means marrying a freedman." Roman fathers could be extremely particular about who their daughters married because marriage was so tightly bound up in ideas of family alliances and the like. Even if Teutus' children would be full citizens and able to partake in political life, he himself couldn't. "I have to be a realist about it, Ovinia Camilla. It doesn't matter who my father is, not really, when my own status is as a freedman and his illegitimate son."

Tertius had made promises for so long, and now he didn't even need to make those - he had acknowledged a son who was technically the same status as Teutus but whose life would play out very differently, and Teutus knew that he could not live in the realm of 'what if' . He had to be practical and pragmatic about things, which had led to starting his business, leaving his father's house and would contribute in no small part to his own marriage.

"It is what it is, and we shall see." He supposed there might be an equite family willing to overlook his own social status if it meant linking themselves with gens Quinctilia, but it was unlikely and he couldn't rely on finding that one family when making his plans.

@Sara

Edited by Sharpie
  • Like 1

Ovinia Camilla

Ovinia let loose a sigh from her lips and nodded, adjusting herself on the couch and tucking strands of dark - almost black - silky hair behind her ear. "Isn't it unfortunate," She mused with a murmur and a wistful look in her eyes, "That what we are born as dictates everything about who we are and what we do." It was the same for men as it was for women - whilst Teutus was constrained by his illegitimacy, she was constrained by her sex and her fathers power. She would do as he bid, because that was what any good Senatorial girl did, but recently it didn't prevent her from wondering what if? The thought was almost painful.

She sighed again and shook her head, "I wonder if it is the same for the barbarians in Germania or Britannia and elsewhere...the women get married because their fathers say they have to, and their sons follow the profession of the father." She tilted her head in curiosity and then flicked her eyes back to him. "Your fathers...woman," Her own father forbid her to call the little woman she'd met once or twice his wife - ranting it made a mockery of their class, "She is from Britannia, no? Did she say what life was like there for a free woman?" The question was an absent one, but she was curious. The writers hadn't made it sound particularly appealing, but then again she supposed they wouldn't, would they?

• Like 1

Teutus Quinctilius Varus

0XDUAaTB_o.png

"Isn't it unfortunate, that what we are born as dictates everything about who we are and what we do."

Teutus couldn't help giving a rueful nod. "It is what it is, unfortunately, and we have to work within the constraints society puts on us." He rested the winecup he was holding on the arm of his chair, thinking. "Charis - you can call her my father's concubine if you like... I don't think she held a high status in Britannia, although I get the impression their society is much flatter than ours. Simpler, or something."

And eminently barbarian in its simplicity - Teutus was a true son of Rome even if he did like pretty, young, naive Charis.

"I think she was the wife of a tradesman, I don't know if she was involved in doing most of the trading for him." He thought she'd said her husband was a blacksmith or something, which meant he was a skilled craftsman, and she had shown a natural talent for reading and numbers that Teutus appreciated.

He gave Ovinia a far less rueful, more genuine smile. "I think though, when all is said and done, that you and I are far better off being Roman than living the life of some barbarian out in the wilds of the gods know where, don't you agree?"

@Sara

Edited by Sharpie
  • Like 1

Ovinia Camilla

She nodded at Teutus' words, letting out another little sigh. We have to work within the constraints society puts on us. She was finding that thought harder and harder to live with. The Ovinia of two years ago would have been unquestioning, would have done whatever her family asked of her whenever they did. Now though? She merely sipped her wine in contemplation, trying not to finish that thought as Teutus continued to speak, interjecting only once. "Concubine..." She wrinkled her nose, "Is unseemly." She knew such arrangements were commonplace enough, particularly amongst the lower classes but...it still sat uncomfortably on her shoulders. Tertius Quinctilius Varus could have been a prime bachelor and candidate for women like her had he not recognised his slave-gotten son and freed this 'Charis'. 

It surprised her that the woman had been married, had a job and presumably, a...life, before coming here and being cast into the Varus household. She couldn't recall ever asking any of her slaves what they had been before their lives in this house and for a brief moment she felt a lurch of guilt. It prompted her response to Teutus' question - that surely they were better off here. "I wonder if you asked her that question, whether she'd agree. In some ways it's appealing," She shrugged, "A simple life with none of the worries we have here." She shook her head again and chose to disguise her honesty with the vapidity people expected of women like her; "But I suppose you're right. I'd miss the wealth and the parties and my friends. Who could live without that?" I could, she answered in her mind. 

• Like 1

Teutus Quinctilius Varus

0XDUAaTB_o.png

Teutus responded to Ovinia's shrug with one of his own. He was thoroughly Roman, whatever his social standing within the ranks of his society, and as such fully believed that to be Roman was to be a member of the best and most civilised nation in the world. The Romans had built temples, baths, aqueducts, roads far superior to any rough cart track anywhere else. What was there not to be proud of? Charis might not appreciate that, but even Teutus could allow that Charis hadn't had the best introduction to Roman culture and all that it had to offer.

"I think perhaps we prefer the familiar," he said. He had thought several times about taking a ship and simply leaving, heading to Hispania or somewhere, somewhere still part of the Empire but away from his father and the whole mess of his life here. It had been a very strong temptation indeed, and the only reason he didn't still think of it sometimes was that he'd found his mother and begun to build his own life outside of his father's house, although not out of Tertius' control and influence. He'd never be out of that in Rome because he was his father's son (whether legally acknowledged or not) and client. Patrons had very nearly as much influence over their clients, and demands  on their time, as a master did his slaves. "The baths and their libraries, and the temples too," he added, contributing to her list. "Although I daresay if we'd been born British, or anything else, we wouldn't notice their lack because we wouldn't be used to having them at all."

It was an odd sort of conversation, perhaps, but they were far removed from the discussion of dull things that had characterised their first meeting.

@Sara

Edited by Sharpie
  • Like 1