Flowers for Spring [M]

Sara

Lucius held her, sitting in the grass, humming and stroking her hair as she cried. He had not had the time to comfort her like this after the attack; they only had stolen moments together. He had wanted to be there for her like this. And he would stay as long as she needed.

When she finally pulled back, her eyes were red and her cheeks soaked in tears. Lucius raised the hem of his cloak to wipe her cheeks gently. "Whatever you want, love" he smiled softly, kissing her on the forehead.

@Sara

• Like 1

She gave him a wan smile, her bottom lip quivering. "I've ruined everything." She murmured to herself, drawing her knees up to her chest and wrapping an arm around them. Her fingers played with the hem of her chiton. 

She didn't look at him when she spoke, her face down turned to her knees. "I...wanted to...I was...excited." She swallowed. She was also nervous beyond measure. "Do you think...it was divine intervention?" She flicked her eyes up to him, dark and searching, "That made me feel like that? That led us here so that we wouldn't..." She cleared her throat. "Maybe it was a sign."

TAG: @Chevi

• Sad 1

"I've ruined everything." 

"No you haven't" Lucius said, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. On his part, he felt like he had ruined everything, but this was not about him.

"I...wanted to...I was...excited... Do you think...it was divine intervention? That made me feel like that? That led us here so that we wouldn't... Maybe it was a sign."

"I... don't think it was." Lucius shook his head. Not out of self-interest, although she might think that. His hand stroked her hair. "I think it had to do with... what happened to you. And I am truly sorry about that, I should have known better."

@Sara

• Like 1

She sunk into his side as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders, savouring the comfort he provided her. She exhaled a shaky breath and peered up at him as he spoke, giving his view. She swallowed. 

"Not the Gods." She murmured. "Just a monster that's ruined my life." She rested her head on his shoulder again with a heavy sigh that made her shoulders slump. She moved to thread her hand into his spare one, the one not around her shoulders and she stroked her fingers over his softly. "It is not your fault. Every day is different. Some days, most days now, I'm fine. And then...something reminds me and I'm not." She swallowed and turned over his hand so her fingers could trace the lines on his palm. 

She tried to make a joke, lighten the very dark situation that had crept in and ruined everything. "At least now I have an excuse for why you need to take me somewhere luxurious." 

• Sad 1

Lucius held her, allowing her to trace her fingers over his hand. He felt her slowly relax against his side.

"You are not ruined. You know that right?" he murmured, kissing the top of her head. "You've gone through something horrible that should have never happened... But he's dead, and you are here. And you are... amazing. And perfect. And it will get better. You just need time." Time, and someone to comfort her when she was scared. He smiled a little at her feeble joke. "I'll take you anywhere you want. If you... still want that."

@Sara

• Like 1

She snorted - her mood lifting a little; "I know full well I'm not perfect. The you of several arguments ago pretty much told me that." She raised his hand so she could kiss  his knuckles, folding his fingers over her thumb so she could. She sighed heavily, but the clouds over her mind were clearing. The flush from her cheeks was fading and she could breathe again. 

"I do." She tilted her face up to look at him again. "But not...right now." She still felt wobbly, and not in the pleasure filled way she had earlier when he had led her here. When his hand had traced her thigh and he had left the softest of kisses on her collarbone. "Do you...want to go and catch me a rabbit?" A distraction. That would be good. She managed to push herself up on wobbling legs, reaching out to his shoulder for stability. She muttered to herself more than him; "I don't know where we would go though..." 

• Like 1

"I know full well I'm not perfect. The you of several arguments ago pretty much told me that." 

"Well the me several arguments ago was an idiot" Lucius muttered with a smirk. She might not have been perfect. But she was perfect for him.

"I do. But not...right now. Do you...want to go and catch me a rabbit?... I don't know where we would go though..." 

Lucius helped her up, standing too and wrapping her palla around her shoulder again. His hands smoothed along her arms, then he tilted her chin to make her look at him. "Let me worry about that." he smiled, kissing her nose. "In the meantime, let's go get you a rabbit."

@Sara

• Like 1

She smiled as he wrapped her palla - all wrong so she redid it but without annoyance - and smiled wider as he pressed a kiss to her nose. She wrinkled it as he pulled back, more at the sensation than anything. "It has to be somewhere discrete." She stated the obvious. "And...I mean...I don't mind cheap." That was an obvious lie. "But I'd rather it wasn't...you know..." She gestured at the squat building she'd exited a few moments ago. 

She stilled him as he moved to walk off to catch the bunnies, one hand moving to the curve between his neck and his shoulder, holding him still. "I am sorry again." She said swallowing and then she leant up on her toes to kiss him. It was soft compared to their earlier kisses on the bench which had been frenetic and chaotic. This was gentle and chaste by comparison, but as she tried to draw him down to her height she sighed softly against his lips. She felt her heart flutter. Better.

• Like 1

"It has to be somewhere discrete. And...I mean...I don't mind cheap. But I'd rather it wasn't...you know..." 

"Yes. I know." he nodded. Not a shack, obviously. Also not cheap, because Ovinia, as lovely as she was, didn't like anything cheap. He knew that already.

"I am sorry again."

"Don't be." She pulled him down and he kissed her back gently, feeling the sigh against his lips. It would take time. But she loved him. She loved him. All the rest, they could figure out later.

• Like 1

She smiled softly against his lips as they kissed. It was a sweet moment, tender, quite unlike the moments before but that suited her absolutely fine. She needed this side of him right now; the gentle side. And the side that made her laugh. She took his hand again as they pulled back and she tugged him towards the bushes they had entered through. 

"Will you laugh at me..." she said as she winced, "If I say I have absolutely no idea how we are supposed to do this?" 

• Like 1

"Do what? Catch a rabbit?" Lucius chuckled as she tugged him along, winding their way between the bushes and flower beds. "I mean, there are probably good techniques for it... but for the festival they usually just release a whole bunch of them. And some goats. And people just... run around. That's part of the fun."

• Like 1

She muttered. "As I said, this is not how I usually celebrate Floralia so you'll excuse me if I didn't know that." she rolled her eyes at him and more firmly intertwined their hands. They could at least be this close for the next few moments but she knew once they moved back to the crowds they'd have to pretend as if they were there alone. The Gods only knew who else was lurking out here. 

"I don't think you ever answered my question, which was very rude of you," she frowned up at him. "How do you usually celebrate?" She could hear voices getting closer and she drew to a stop by the bench they'd been on before. Her cheeks flushed at the memory. She cleared her throat in distraction. "And what does one...do with the bunny, after one's caught it?" 

• Like 1

"As I said, this is not how I usually celebrate Floralia so you'll excuse me if I didn't know that."

Now that was an Ovinia Lucius recognized. Strangely, it was comforting. He squeezed her hand as they walked back to the bench.

"I don't think you ever answered my question, which was very rude of you. How do you usually celebrate? And what does one...do with the bunny, after one's caught it?" 

"I like to come out to the gardens. People are... always happy at this festival. And catching bunnies is great fun." he grinned at her. "After that... it's really up to the person. Some sell them, some eat them. Some keep them as pets."

They walked past the bench and they paused; he glanced around before leaning in to kiss her one last time, and his eyes caught on something. He pressed a finger to Ovinia's lips, pointing towards the bushes.

@Sara

• Like 1

"Most people are happy, besides the priggish woman you love." she rolled her eyes, gripping his hand as they drew to a stop. But she grinned, exclaiming before they met in a kiss; "A pet!" She was not convinced her pet cat, Typhon, would think of an interloper in his house. But those thoughts were quickly dismissed as they kissed. She smiled against his lips, feeling contentment wash over her again. Gradually. But as they pulled back and she was about  to remark something soft and sweet he placed a finger against her lips and she blinked. 

Oh Gods somebody is here...somebody saw that. Panic rose and then she followed his other hand as he pointed to a bush. She blinked. A little white tail was poking out of the dirt on one side of the hedge. She laughed and had to clamp her hand over her mouth lest she scare it off. She whispered. "I thought you were about to say my father was here..." She narrowed her eyes on the rabbit. "You...go that side of the hedge." She commanded. "I'll grab her from this side...?" 

• Haha 1

"I thought you were about to say my father was here..."

"Not unless your father looks significantly cuter than the last time we've met" Lucius grinned at her. A small, fluffy rabbit was poking its way in the flowerbed by the hedge.

"You...go that side of the hedge. I'll grab her from this side...?" 

"Yes ma'am" Lucius chuckled, quietly making his way as commanded. Apparently, Ovinia was all business when it came to catching bunnies.

• Haha 1

She rolled her eyes at him as he silently slipped around the side of the hedge. She narrowed her eyes on her prey and took a few tentative, shuffled steps forward, hitching her chiton and palla up over her knees so she could crouch down better. The rabbit was facing away from her - just its hind legs and tail visible as it busied itself in the flowerbed that sat at the base of the hedge. 

Tentatively she moved her arms out over it and then in one fell swoop, tried to snatch it. The rabbit wriggled and she called out, "Lucius!" He would find her sprawled on the floor, a rabbit clutched tightly to her chest, grinning...and covered in dirt.

• Like 1

Lucius heard Ovinia calling, and came running around the hedge - to find her lying in the grass, holding a wiggling rabbit. It was quite a sight. As beautiful as Ovinia was, blushing and well-kissed, in his arms, this was a sight he would never forget: Ovinia lying among the flowers, laughing, with dirt on her face, holding a bunny. Lucius laughed too, and leaned down to help her to her feet. "Nice catch! You're a natural."

@Sara

• Like 1

Ovinia was grinning triumphantly, clutching the little white fluff ball to her chest with both arms. It was squirming but she didn't mind, nor did she mind the dirt that caked her dress - flecks of it on her cheeks as well from where the bunny had kicked it up. 

She released her grip on the rabbit with one hand to take his, to be pulled to her feet. But that was a mistake and as she drew to standing, the rabbit used the weaker grip to squirm its way out of her arms, landing with a plop at their feet before hopping away. Ovinia choked, frowning, immature in her annoyance. "That was your fault!" She scowled at Lucius. She glared and then tried to dust the dirt from her dress. "I had him and you intervened. It's not going to be that easy again." There. That was much more like the prissy Ovinia he had come to know...and love.

• Sad 1

Lucius helped Ovinia up, but the bunny took that moment of chance and got away. Lucius grabbed for it, but wasn't quick enough.

"That was your fault! I had him and you intervened. It's not going to be that easy again."

"I didn't intervene..." Lucius protested, but he knew it was no use arguing with Ovinia. He sighed. "I'll go catch you another one." He smiled a little, reaching up to wipe some dirt from her face. "Dirt looks good on you, though."

@Sara

• Haha 1

"You did!" She protested, annoyed. Ovinia hated many things and losing was one of them. Now this felt like a competition. "I was going to call him 'hop'." She mumbled to herself as she readjusted her palla. 

But then she felt his thumb on her face, wiping off the dirt. She blinked. And despite herself, flushed. "Do not expect a repeat. I'm quite sure I look like I work down the mines." She raised her own fingers to scrub at her cheeks. Good job she wasn't wearing any makeup. 

Planting her hands on her hips she arched a brow at Lucius in challenge. "You think you can catch me one? I think you're all talk." Challenge sparkled in her eyes. This distraction was working.

• Haha 1

"Oh, I am going to catch you one." Lucius grinned. "You just wait." He could tell Ovinia was more invested in the bunny-catching game now than anything else. "I'll catch one before you do" he challenged her, taking off his flowers and placing them on her head before he headed to the bushes to find another hop.

@Sara

• Haha 1

"You'd like to think so." She smirked and then gave him a smug smile as he placed the flowers on her head before he ducked into the bushes. She frowned and hurried round to the other side to intercept him - holding up a hand.

She was not going to let him play this out without something in reward. She didn't wish to be covered in dirt and look like a pleb for nothing. "What do I get if I catch one first?" She narrowed her eyes on him. "And...what do we do with two rabbits?" 

• Haha 1

She knew exactly what she wanted and she gave him a devilish grin. "I want a cithara. And I want somewhere to play it." 

She narrowed her eyes. she couldn't play the hydraulis for him, but she had always, always wanted to learn the cithara and her father had never allowed it - she never quite understood the reason. "If funds are an issue, perhaps you could buy your blonde friends' one second hand." She gave him a pointed look, clearly joking. She would never  touch an item a whore had touched...besides...Lucius himself. Still, she knew the expense of one.

She kept her fingers firmly planted on her hips and gave him an assessing look. "What do you want?" 

• Haha 1

"A cithara?" Lucius arched an eyebrow. Music instruments were not cheap, but he could swing one if he lost the challenge. It was... a surprisingly honest request from Ovinia. And he wondered what her father's reason was for not just buying her one.

And somewhere to play it. "Fine."

"What do you want?" 

You.

Lucius knew better than to wager that. "If I win... you have to sing to me again."

@Sara

• Like 1