Sara

Early June, 77AD

Ovinia sat in the blossoming, fragrant gardens of the domus, smoothing soft fingers over the folds of her palla and arranging them just right. She knew the drill by now and what was expected of her. This wasn't the first visit she'd had to contend with since she'd found her fathers list and since the attack, and she was only hopeful that this suitor would show himself to be as ill-suited as the rest of them. She hadn't even needed to give her father her own opinions on the men that had come before Senator Publius Horatius Justinus; Gaius Ovinius Camillus had found them of ill-repute and struck them from his mind. Which was for the better. Ovinia only hoped that Publius would share their fate. Not that she had any particular opposition to the man (beyond his age and the fact she'd learned he already had a son) after their conversation at Cerealia, six or so weeks before, but he wasn't who she wanted. And any delay was good. 

Still, she had her duty to do and it had been made painfully clear to her that her father was not going to suffer any further delay. She had turned twenty the month prior in May which meant her father was now required to pay tax on the fact that she was unwed. He had - in his own way - given her grace since the attack and the execution but his patience had worn thin to the point of snapping, and he had made it very plain that now was the time for her to be wed. She was still of an age where they could say her father had been choosy, but another year or Gods forbid two and people would start asking very unsavoury questions. 

So here she sat - bedecked in simple fashions but each piece exquisitely crafted. It needed to appear effortless, as if she woke up every morning with the beautifully soft waves in her hair and chose at random the fine green silk (from Teutus' own supplies) chiton and darker green palla with its embroidered gold depictions of flowers. She wore no make-up which made her appear slightly younger than when she lined her dark eyes with kohl as she did for some social occasions, and she wore simple, neat, elegant gold jewellery: a necklace, a ring on her right forefinger and one gold bangle. It was the same routine and same appearance she put on for all the men who called. Or...most of the men who called. She swallowed the memories of a different man and an altogether different set of dress...or lack thereof....in a different domus in Rome. She felt her cheeks flush slightly at the thought. 

Which was inconvenient as she heard her fathers voice and the sound of another mans moving through the domus. She stood up, brushing down her dress and offered a polite smile as Gaius Major introduced her. "My daughter, Ovinia Camilla. Although I believe you have met at...Cerealia, was it?" Ovinia inclined her head politely at the man and then nodded, smiling slightly. "Senator Justinus, and yes. It is a pleasure." Was it? These meetings never were usually - they were all so formulaic but she didn't let anything of that sort show on her face and merely waited for the men to sit before she resumed her perch on the bench. 

TAG: @Sarah

Edited by Sara
  • Like 2

Publius Horatius Justinius

CZ79R2.jpg

"Indeed we did; in the company of Claudius Sabucius." Publius informed Ovinius Camillus as the man formally introduced his daughter, having agreed to a meeting as a potential suitor. Publius had thought long and hard about where to press his suit, and whilst a more mature woman might be easier in some respects, he longed for another son and for that, and younger one was better. Ovinia had seemed pleasant enough when they'd met in very good company, and she had a few years on the mere girls that some men offered. He did wonder what had kept this seemingly eligible young lady from marriage as yet, but if she seemed suitable then he might have to find out, if he could. For now this was simply the beginning.

Ovinia was at least pleasing to the eye and elegantly turned out. His main concern over possibly marrying a younger woman was that his new wife would be a role model for his children, particularly his daughter. He needed someone mature and level headed enough to show Lucia Justinia how a Senatorial lady should comport herself. In only a few years, Lucia herself would be ready for marriage, but now it was his potential marriage that needed considering. "Ovinia Camilla, a pleasure indeed." He replied with a smile and a slight bow, seating himself once Gaius did. Unlike those dedicated purely to the Senate and their estates, Publius's military career meant that he was fit, trim and muscular, even if the fashion was to run slightly to fat to show off one's wealth. He moved with the ease of one in the prime of life, and had attired himself in a gleaming white toga of the finest wool, edged with narrow bands of rich purple, over a white linen tunic with red borders, indicating his military links. His hair was cut short in the military style but brushed fashionably forward, and his sandals were functional but of the highest quality leather, with gleaming brass studs at the joins.  He held a perennial air of 'soldier in a toga' but clearly one who also held a successful political career, if not quite so polished as her father's, and enough lands to generate the kind of income that would keep Ovinia in the manner to which she had become accustomed.

Certainly she came from an excellent family. Publius was well aware of the Senatorial powerhouse that was the Ovinius Camillus clan, with Gaius Major and Minor in the Senate and the reasonable probability that the next son would join them. But what he wanted now was to gain more of a sense of the daughter. "How have you been, since Cerealia?" He asked politely, directing his attention to Ovinia since he was here to see her, though of course it would not be unchaperoned. "Did your favoured rider win in the end?" He didn't mention that she'd wanted to place a bet on one in front of her father. 

@Sara

Edited by Sarah
  • Like 1

output-onlinegiftools-2.gif

She sat as the men did - her father a discrete distance away, close enough to interfere in the conversation if needs be, but allowing them a modicum of privacy. She surveyed this Publius Horatius Justinus with a discerning eye. He was neat and orderly which was better than one or two of the men she'd been paraded before, but there was something underneath that she couldn't place. He almost didn't seem to fit in his gleaming white Senatorial toga. She'd done her research of course, and suspected it was because he was a military man. For a time she had wanted a husband with those ambitions, who would whisk her off to the decorate Praetorium's of legates and pro-praetor's in the Empire. Now the thought of being so far from home was like a wrench in her gut, but she chose to shove those thoughts aside as he posed his questions. 

"Very well, thank you. And yourself?" She inclined her head, "Although...you have visited at a fortuitous time, an hour earlier and you would have heard my attempts at playing that." She chuckled and gestured to the hydraulis in one of the rooms that led from the garden. Gaius interfered - a record for him; "Ovinia is being modest, she's very accomplished." But her lips merely twitched in amusement at his next question, grateful he hadn't mentioned the gambling. "Alas not, but it was no great loss." A slave placed down two expensive, shining clear glasses of cold wine which she sipped gently before setting it down again. 

"My father tells me you returned to Rome recently?" She arched a brow, smoothing the exquisite green silk of her chiton over her knees as she adjusted herself gracefully on the bench, "Where did you venture, Senator?" She knew exactly where he had been and what he had been doing, but it was only polite to ask. Besides, there were very few other ways to effectively gauge a man than besides asking him to describe himself and his accomplishments. Some boasted until she thought she'd gone deaf, some were far too modest to be anything but spineless but some...some had that air of confidence that was alluring...to some women. Women that were not already firmly allured by another. She watched him closely, wondering which sort of man Publius would be.

Edited by Sara
  • Like 1

Publius Horatius Justinus

CZ79R2.jpg

"I've been well, thank you." Publius replied evenly, entirely civil. He glanced in the direction that Ovinia indicated as she stated that he was fortunate not to have arrived sooner, and gave a faint snort of amusement. A hydraulis; it was almost odd to see one here in Rome. And inside a domus; they were not a quiet instrument. Ovinia herself was quite self-deprecating about her abilities, and her father chimed in unexpectedly, insisting that she played well. Was that a false modesty on her part, or was there some disagreement over the instrument? They were usually played as a performance, he'd heard a few in Achaea, and no highborn woman was a performer; but perhaps Gaius simply liked it's sound and insisted she learned. "Do you favour the hydraulis particularly? Or music in general?" He asked, thinking it an opportunity to find out more about her preferences. 

Ah, her favoured rider hadn't won, and presumably she'd lost some token amount on him. Well, that was life. "Perhaps a different colour next time." Not everyone could back a winner every time, and one was only a fool if one refused to learn from such errors. Besides, it was but a sport. Life held many things far more serious. Like the selection of a wife. It would be easier if he knew what he wanted in a woman. The trouble was, when he'd met Lucia, he'd just known, and the attraction had been mutual. Such was unusual and he didn't expect it to happen again, which left him in uncharted waters. Still, he had some criteria. Young but no teenager, could comport herself respectably and came from a good family which would provide political connections. Ovinia ticked all of those boxes; furthermore both his father and sister had approved. Additionally she was both comely and seemed quite intelligent, things that he found attractive. And witty enough to challenge him a little without being unseemly. He supposed he was really looking for any reason not to press his suit. He hadn't found one yet, though the fact that she was unwed at twenty still lingered with it's implied questions.

She certainly understood the art of conversation. "I undertook the Quaestorship in Achaea." He replied briefly, wondering what she and her father might make of his doing so at 40 instead of 28, in his year as a Patrician male. It did mean that he was now a permanent fixture in the Senate. "I spent some of my military service in Achaea, including my time as Tribune, and the opportunity to go back was welcome." He added, thinking that she was probably also trying to sound him out, and it didn't hurt to help that a little. "I focused on my military career when I was younger, but now that I am in Rome I intend to stand for the election of next year's Aediles." He added, making it clear that not only would he stay in Rome next year, but he was now focusing on his political career. At least for the moment.

"Have you travelled to the provinces?" He asked, knowing that Gaius would have taken provincial roles at some point, but also that Ovinia was the youngest of his four children. Judging by her father's appearance, she was a child of his maturity rather than his youth. 

@Sara

• Like 1

Ovinia Camilla

"Music in general." She replied with the faintest quirk of her lips to indicate she found the conversation in amusing, which was explained by the next few words; "My father kindly gifted me the hydraulis." She could see her father from the corner of her eye nod his head in pleased affirmation. It was an ostentatious gift, although of course the fact he'd chosen it over the cithara that she'd truly wanted, had very clear meaning; music is for the house and family, ergo your instrument shouldn't be portable. "I spend some of my time practicing, some of my time reading composition theories and creating my own either with the instrument or my voice, but mostly I just enjoy listening; whether that be in the city or at a dinner." she shrugged her slender shoulders slightly. She heard and saw music in most of her day to day life and couldn't imagine the gaping hole it would leave if she had to stop her practice or attraction to it.

The conversation rolled on, her father mercifully unaware of what they meant when discussing the races at Cerealia, into his career. She sipped her chilled wine as he spoke, effortlessly disguising her surprise that he'd only recently completed his quaestorship. Her brother Lucius had missed it in his year, the year just gone, and she pegged the man at least a decade older - if not more. He explained the timing away deftly but it was curious. She had thought her father would have perhaps had more ambition - gone for a man already settled into his seat in the Senate, on the rise to a Praetorship perhaps. But then again, she knew Publius Horatius Justinus was well respected and well liked with military glory (and therefore riches) behind him, and in any case, his familial links were utterly impeccable. "I wish you success, Senator." She said with an even voice and Gaius - yet again - chipped in. She could tell even without looking that he'd be shrewdly assessing Publius with the same gaze that made him one of the most powerful men in the city; "As do I. And perhaps we could discuss your plans for securing the votes at a later date." The implication of 'if this is successful', being clear even to her.

She set the fine glass down and shook her head lightly, "Not since I was a child. We were in Achaea during the Civil War but I was only five or so, so my memories are mainly of sandy beaches and the heat." She chuckled. She continued, "I used to want to travel but I'm content in the city - I've spent most of my life here, and in any case I'm too busy to leave for any extended period." She watched him carefully, parroting out the sanctioned version of why she was still unwed and what was wrong with her mother by way of explanation - her father had made it clear she was to mention it. After all, twenty was peculiarly late for having these sorts of introductory meetings, even if that was his fault and not hers; "My mother has been unwell for a few years so I manage the household for the most part, and my fathers clients, when she is unable to do so. Running a domus of this size, three brothers and everything that comes with my fathers position leaves me very little time to contemplate travel, I am afraid." Adjusting the shimmering silk of her chiton over her knees she shrugged lightly; "And yourself? Do you see further travel in your future, or are you content in the city?" And the senate, rather than seeking more glory in far-flung provinces, she added in her head. 

• Like 1

CZ79R2.jpg

Ah, so she was a music lover, or at least appreciator. The hydraulis, given it's size and complexity, was a significant gift from her father as he indulged her interest, which apparently went beyond merely listening and occasionally playing. Ovinia almost sounded as though, had she been born a plebian, she might have become a musician and performer, and perhaps even a talented one. But she was of the Senatorial class, and thus her talent was for the herself and her family alone. Which didn't mean that it shouldn't be enjoyed or indulged. "Well, art, including music, is one of the hallmarks of civilisation, and it's enjoyment one of the privileges." He opined warmly. She was a cultured woman at least and he certainly had no issues with her playing and composing, it might be quite pleasant to have a wife who played music.

The conversation moved on, Publius unaware of Ovinia's musings on his political career - or lack thereof - though if asked he might have attributed similar thoughts to her father. But whilst Gaius Ovinius Camillus had a very clear focus on politics, Publius was aware that it was not the only career available to one of their class, nor even the most profitable. It was however the most influential, if influence amongst one's peers was what one desired. Having seen stretches of the Empire beyond Rome itself and fought on her frontiers, Publius was aware that a combination of skills and aptitudes could take one further, in the right situations. Of course, now that he was back in Rome itself, it was time to play the appropriate games. So he smiled faintly and nodded in appreciation when Ovinia wished him well in his endeavours, and her father suggested that the might talk strategy at a later time. "Indeed, I'd be pleased to." He replied easily, well aware of the other man's political successes, even if he had a reputation for being rather bullish and cutthroat. Of course, Publius had other political allies, including his own father who was not dead yet, and last year's consul, his own brother in law. It was a role that he did not believe the man before him had reached, despite his political prowess.

"'Sandy beaches and heat' is a good summary of Achaea." He chuckled slightly, though the place had many other pleasant and emotionally loaded memories for himself. He wondered whether her father might take a term as Propraetor of a province when his term as Praetor was up. Or perhaps he might prefer to stay and push for Consul. But Publius did not let his thoughts wander too far as Ovinia explained why she hadn't travelled much, and presumably why she hadn't wed. It made sense, that she'd taken over the running of the Domus when her mother fell ill, and that arrangement had simply become convenient, until her father had had to face the necessity of her being wed. She was watching him keenly, and he met her dark gaze frankly, wondering what she was looking for. Perhaps she feared judgement for her age? Then she turned the question on him. "I intend to remain in Rome at least until the end of next year, since I plan to stand for one of the Aedileships." And hopefully achieve it. It was a city role after all. "Of course, if I stand for a Praetorship in the year or two following, that could be a provincial role." For whilst Praetors were magistrates, they could also be military commanders, and given Publius's background he was more likely to go for - and to be suited to - one of those roles. Still, if he achieved a Praetorship a year after being Aedile, he would actually be positioned to stand for Consul in his year. Whether or not he would, he as yet had not decided. It would depend on other factors.

Still, there were benefits to Ovinia's unique situation. "It is well that you know how to run a household." He said plainly. "My mother passed during the civil war, so my previous wife organised my father's household." Gods but it felt cold to refer to Lucia in that manner. If he chose Ovinia then perhaps he would take the time to enlighten her to certain facts about her predecessor; so that she at least seemed human and not just a name. "I am looking for a wife who would be able to do the same." And no doubt Gaius Ovinius Camillus expected high standards. "So long as she did so maturely, in a seemly and organised manner, it would be hers to organise as she chose, with appropriate authority." He added, getting to the meat of his intent, wanting the situation to be clear to Ovinia, watching her carefully, and making it clear that she would be trusted and have the relevant freedoms, so long as she proved they were not misplaced Perhaps he could assuage some of her concerns. "I would not wish to deprive your father, of course." He added with a glance at Gaius. "Ah, but your eldest brother is wed, is he not?" And really, given that Gaius Minor was his father's heir, it was proper that his wife should take over the organisation of the domus that she would one day call her own. 

@Sara

• Like 1

Ovinia Camilla

Ovinia smiled softly to herself at his comment on music. Few military men that she knew - most of her brothers and extended family included - enjoyed it in an abstract way, asking her to play after cena or something but very few saw it as anything serious. Publius' comments spoke that maybe he did...or at least he would be indulgent of her hobby and main interest. She sipped her wine demurely, trying not to get ahead of herself and instead listen to him speak of Achaea and his career, a conversation she'd heard time before. Publius' ambitions were little different to most of the men she'd met in these sorts of situations but she gave him a polite smile and inclined her head, speaking with a small chuckle. "Do you have a preference for which aedileship you want?" She asked with genuine interest. "I understand there are different roles around the games, the city provisions and the maintenance of the city itself?" She knew it for a fact, but wasn't going to state that. Men occasionally did not like their women politically minded.

The conversation drifted on and she listened, only chiming in with the appropriate platitudes of; "I am sorry. For your losses." But she was thankful she'd had a lifetime of practice at keeping her features neutral so she didn't splutter her wine all over him and her father. I am looking for a wife. Few men were so bold on first meetings and she briefly wondered if it was a product of his own upbringing or his time in the military. She kept quiet all the same, watching him with interest as he spoke. Seemly. Organised. Appropriate authority. Six months ago those words would have delighted her, now it left a hollow feeling in her chest. That was her role - it always had been her role - but it no longer felt...enough, and it was difficult to reconcile that to the fact it was her future. She merely nodded at his question, her face perfectly neutral. "He is. Viria is keen to learn, but my mother has trusted me to run the household in a way she saw fit." She said by way of explanation for Viria's apathy to her own role. Once, she had loathed her for it. Now she wondered if they had more in common that she had realised. 

Her father added, however, for good measure. "Ovinia would be dearly missed, of course, but she knows it is her place to raise and govern her own family when the time is right. Just as Viria knows it is hers to the same to this one." Her fathers good girls, following their orders. She cleared her throat and glanced at Publius. There was so much she needed...wanted to know. "Given you have already mentioned it," She gave him a smile, "What qualities does a man like Publius Horatius Justinus look for in a wife?"

• Like 1

CZ79R2.jpg

Publius regarded Ovinia thoughtfully when she asked of his preference in Aedile roles, and took that question seriously. Clearly she had an understanding of the office, though given her father that was perhaps not too surprising. An intelligent woman would easily learn such things. "Augustus gave over the majority of the responsibilities around organising the games to the Praetors," he said with a nod in her father's direction. "My own preference would be responsibility for maintenance of the city and public decency."  Which was perhaps the most boring role from some people's point of view, but as well as his own understanding of the necessity of good foundations for society, he'd learned a lot from his brother in law Aulus. "Without safe buildings, good housing and management of crime, society is not in a position to truly enjoy good food and entertainment." The Gods knew he'd seen what could happen in a poorly run military camp, which was why the legions were so strict on their soldiers. Admittedly the explanation of his reason was more for Gaius's benefit than Ovinia's; the games were high profile and a good opportunity to spend lavishly to secure votes and support, but Publius intended to serve well as well as advance his own career, much as he had in the military.

Having decided that he required a wife, Publius was attending to the matter in his usual manner; with military precision and efficiency. It would perhaps have been more usual to simply spend time with the young woman on the first meeting, see how he felt about her, but he knew all too well that it was far too much to expect the kind of attraction he'd felt for Lucia a second time, and that to search around, waiting for it, would leave him old and lonely. Better to take a practical approach, and surely a young woman like Ovinia, almost too old to be seeking her first husband, would also see the benefits of practicality? That didn't mean that he wasn't open to the growth of affection between them, but that was not his starting point. Thus he instead got fairly briskly to the point, laying out that his wife would be stepping into her own household to run, something many young women waited for, for years.

Much to his satisfaction, Ovinia seemed to feel the same way. Her father explained that her sister in law was ready to step in, and the young woman then went on to ask what else he sought in a future wife. The question drew a brief, curt smile and nod of acknowledgement. "In addition to being able to run a household, I am looking for good family, good manners, sensibility and respectability." He said bluntly, since she'd asked. "I look for a woman who can one day be mater familias of the Horatii-Justini," as he'd once thought Lucia would, "and who can provide a good role model for my children. I'm sure that you are aware that I have a son and a daughter already; Spurius is sixteen, and Lucia Gaia is twelve." So there would be a reasonable gap between his daughter and her new step mother.

"Having taken his toga last year, Spurius will be embarking on the cursus honorum the year after next, starting with the vigintiviri and then the military." And there lay the risk. Even for one of high birth, one was expected to face battle and learn through experience in the legions. Not all of those sons came home. "He is my only son, and as such I also seek a wife who could give me another." Surely with three brothers, Ovinia understood the importance of such insurance. "Should anything befall Spurius, my second son would of course become my heir." He said quietly, spelling it out. "And should the Gods be kind, any children my new wife gives me will be afforded the best education and future - career or marriage - possible." He fully intended to take care of any daughters as well, of course. Lucia Gaia was a delight, even though she reminded him of her mother.

He watched the young woman thoughtfully, trying to gauge her reaction to his words. "So tell me, what would Ovinia Camilla hope for in a marriage?" Was there something particular she desired? A garden to design, travel to the provinces, children, a bevy of slaves at her command? If the desire was reasonable he saw no reason not to grant it.

@Sara

• Like 1

Ovinia Camilla

Camilla watched him with an assessing gaze and a gave him a slight nod of approval. Maintenance and decency. Two things every good, traditional Roman man cared about. Her chest fluttered slightly at the mention of crime...an aedile doing that role would interface with the urban cohorts and the vigiles. The latter made her mouth run dry and she sipped her wine demurely to try and gather her wits. 

But the conversation moved on, to even more traditional views that should not have been unexpected but nonetheless left her feeling just a touch...deflated. She knew she fit all of his criteria or most of them; she had excellent manners, she was the only daughter of one of the premier families of the Empire, she was level-headed in most respects and respectable...when in public, when with almost everybody. An an heir...she let him continue to speak as thoughts drifted through her mind. Her mother had four sons, one with her first husband then three with her father. Her grandmother - Gods keep her - had five children, three boys and two girls. There was no reason to believe she wouldn't also and the thought made her relax. She could ignore the rest of it, and focus on the family. It was something she desperately wanted. She did have to push down the thought she was barely over four years older than his son. That was...uncomfortable, but she shoved it deep down. 

Her answer to his question came naturally, fluidly; "Children." She said at first, because it was true. "I've wanted to be a mother for as long as I can remember." The smile on her lips was soft...genuine. She let out a sigh and smoothed her dress over her knees, watching him closely. "But...I think a marriage should be built on respect. I am well aware of the different roles men and women play in our society, in a home, but I would hope my future husband respects my mind, my opinions and my say on matters." She gave a slight shrug. She could feel her father's eyes boring into her cheek as he watched her carefully. "And I'm sure it doesn't surprise you to know that a young woman like me would wish for love...or affection." She gave him a half smile, "Or the hope of it." She knew love did not come before a marriage, but now she'd tasted it - even though it was forbidden - it wounded her deeply to think she would never have it again...even if the thought of letting go of the love she felt now was equally painful. She remained quiet. Undoubtedly, before Lucius she would have rabbited on about a desire for a big domus, travel, an army of slaves to command but now...now all she wanted was a family, love and respect. "Does that satisfy you, Senator Justinus?"