Late April 77

"Domine, your, uh, brother is here to see you."

Gaius had been dealing with his clients, some of whom just wanted their dole and some of whom wanted to discuss actual business with him. Interesting for Lucius to turn up here during the morning salutatio, though really it was more 'at the end of the morning salutatio', as Gaius had dealt with most of those who actually needed to see him in person.

"My former brother, Thalus. Show him in - and if anyone else wants to discuss anything, they'll have to come back tomorrow."

"Yes, domine." The slave nodded and retreated to pass their patron's message to the waiting clients before showing Lucius in to Gaius' tablinum.

Gaius folded his hands on his desk and looked up at his brother. There was something different about the way he carried himself, something in his overall air. Interesting.

"Lucius Manius Victorius Roscianus." His erstwhile brother didn't look as if he wanted to say he'd made a mistake in choosing the path he'd taken, so that was something, at least. "What can I do for you?"

@Chevi

• Like 2

It was strange, standing in the hallway, waiting for his brother to see him. Adoption or not, Lucius still loved Gaius as the older brother - and substitute father - that he was to him. But they were not officially related now, in the eyes of the law, and he had to admit than since him joining the vigiles he had not seen Gaius as often as he would have wanted to. He smiled a little sheepishly as he walked into the room.

"Gaius. It's good to see you." He was not sure how to approach the subject, so he decided on honesty. "I do have something to discuss with you, but... do you have some time to talk? How have you been?"

@Sharpie

• Like 1

Something to discuss... Well, if Lucius had been discovered selling olives in the Forum Holitorium (again!), it would be up to his new paterfamilias to deal with it. Thank Jupiter for that.

Sheepish smile... Ye gods, Lucius did look as if he was about to burst out and declare the whole thing had been a mistake, which was precisely why Gaius had told him to think it over very carefully before committing to this path. It would probably be precipitate to come right out with, I told you so before Lucius actually got it off his chest, though, so he reined himself in.

"I have time. And I have been fine, thank you. Nobody has been disturbing my days by selling olives, or busking in the Forum, or getting in the way of the slaves when they're trying to prepare the evening meal. It's been rather refreshing." He allowed himself a smile. "Merely having to deal with Senatorial debates and the needs of my clients... it's felt like a holiday."

He kept his eyes on his erstwhile brother and at the first change of expression, indicated that he could sit down. "So... what is it that you'd like to discuss?"

@Chevi

• Like 1

Lucius chuckled at his brother's comments referring to his previous exploits. He knew perfectly well that he had been a headache in his earlier life, and as he took a seat he only hoped he would not be one again. Then again, this time he was also more sure (and determined) about what he was doing. Gaius, however, was not one for pleasantries, and Lucius had to get to the point.

"Well... it's actually about those senatorial debates." he took a deep breath "As you... might know, I am a centurion now. And the vigiles are... severely underpaid."

@Sharpie

• Haha 2

"They are underpaid? Or underfunded?" The distinction was not merely a difference in words; if they were funded properly yet still underpaid, that likely meant that someone, somewhere, was siphoning funds into his own pocket. Perhaps more than one person.

If they were underfunded, that would require a different approach, and very likely a Senatorial debate in order to provoke better funding better allocated to them.

Gaius could see why Lucius had come to him. It would be a good thing all round if the vigiles were better paid, and if Gaius were the one to ensure that.

"Do you have figures to hand - what are they being paid? What sort of pay would they need?" He gave Lucius a frank look; his brother was not one to quibble about his own funds or lack thereof - or at least, he hadn't been, and he should still be able to command some sort of peculium of his own, even if the source was not his adopted paterfamilias. The Mani-Victorii were not low-income plebeians, after all. To hold the rank of equite required an income of 400, 000 sestertii - just under half the amount required to be a senator, but not exactly the wages of a day-labourer, either.

@Chevi

• Like 1

"They are underpaid? Or underfunded?" 

Lucius tilted his head. Good question. Gaius really was paying attention, not dismissing his - admittedly audacious - request. And Lucius was sure there was some shady stuff going on involving some of the other tribunes or centurions, but had no evidence or facts yet.

"Do you have figures to hand - what are they being paid? What sort of pay would they need?" 

"I do" he nodded. Lucius hated administration, but it was a part of his job now. Besides, he would not have come to Gaius without being prepared for these questions. "They are paid 225 denarii a year. Three 75 denarii increments, in January, May, and September. But they also pay for their rations and equipment while at the barracks, and many of them live there. And the rations... they are not that great. I am not in charge of procuring them, but I suspect they are not worth what is charged... Anyway. I would say four 75 denarii increments - one every three months - and some kind of a deal on how we can get better rations for the men. That's... the idea, anyway."

@Sharpie

• Like 1

Gaius tried not to smirk. Lucius had attempted to wriggle out of being tied to a desk dealing with paperwork and had seemingly failed and taken a lower status. He hoped his brother was enjoying it.

"A raise of a third again what they're making... Hmm." It sounded a lot, but put next to everything they were responsible for, it was little enough. "Seventy-five denarii four times a year. Three hundred denarii a year." Which was less than one denarius a day, which was what day-labourers could expect to be paid.

He wasn't sure he could wrangle a raise to seventy-five denarii five times a year, but there was a good case for it - and it was likely that bringing a case for that higher amount would see at least something granted, if presented well. "I will ask a colleague to investigate the procurement of the rations, that is not in my purview, and I am sure the senate as a whole will be interested if their money isn't going where it ought to be. What about the other equipment?"

The vigiles were there to protect property and lives, if they were relying on old equipment that was past its best, then something ought to be done about that, too. No senator wanted to hear how his expensive domus might be at risk of burning down because the local vigiles couldn't put the fire out because their fire buckets were full of holes and their esparto mats had all been eaten by mice, after all.

@Chevi

• Like 1

"A raise of a third again what they're making... Hmm. Seventy-five denarii four times a year. Three hundred denarii a year." 

It wasn't much, even compared to everyday laborers around the city. It was on par with the legions... but the legions got you citizenship at least. And decent equipment.

"I will ask a colleague to investigate the procurement of the rations, that is not in my purview, and I am sure the senate as a whole will be interested if their money isn't going where it ought to be. What about the other equipment?"

"I'll leave it to you. The men not paying for their rations would also be helpful, if more money is not an option..." Lucius nodded. Gaius was tactful enough where he wasn't, and probably knew when to ask for more in order to receive the bare minimum after negotiations. And the rations really were not that great. "The equipment... We basically need more of everything." He smirked. It was not lost on him that he had come to complain to the one person who had warned him about this. "But also, on the long run, I'd love to talk to some engineers about the pumps and the carts we use, because neither seem to be designed for... most of the side streets of Rome."

@Sharpie

• Like 1

Suggesting that the vigiles not pay for their rations would probably set the Senate in an uproar, although Gaius could certainly appreciate the sense in the request. He would ask his colleague to carry out a discreet investigation into the quality of the rations supplied, too - if the quality was suspect, that would likewise affect the morale and could easily be another way of skimming money... Declaring that a particular standard of supplies had been purchased while actually buying something you wouldn't feed to your pigs and pocketing the difference... He wouldn't be at all surprised to learn there was some sort of racket of that ilk going on.

Gods knew how to put a check on it, though. He'd have to give that some careful consideration.

"Why am I not surprised," he said, and reached for a wax tablet and stylus to make some notes. Food, and equipment.

"Do you know how often the equipment is inspected, and what happens if it comes up deficient?" he asked. It probably went into a report that was firmly sat on somewhere up the chain of command before it ever reached the ears, eyes or desk of anyone who might be able to do anything about it. Or else it did reach its intended official who then sat on it because he couldn't be bothered to bestir himself to do anything about it.

"I can certainly find you an engineer or two to talk with," he said, setting the stylus down with a sigh.

"Lucius, you know I hate to say I told you so, but... I told you so."

@Chevi