Flash Your Cash

Sara

November, 77AD

Vibia draped herself on one of the couches in the garden. The winter cold wasn't oppressive ye and the light breeze that skittered across the fountains and fragrant plants was pleasant, even as the sun finally set. There were a host of people here tonight - some seeking to meet the famed Whites, others only hear for the near nude women and men that paraded around the domus. Vibia had been instrumental in their procurement and she was pleased with the majority of them. The Senator hosting this evening - one Marcus Licinius Lentulus was - as fortune would have it - both a patron of hers and a sponsor of the Whites. He was also a deeply stupid man who liked sex more than sense. She'd draped herself on his arm as they'd wandered the slave markets last week, picking and choosing girls and boys for this evening - renting them rather than purchasing them of course. If Vibia was determined to get enough funding together to start her own pleasure house, she needed to show she had a good eye for its workers. Lentulus was more than happy to stump up the funds and his home for this soiree, even if his harpy of a wife was unwilling to allow him to fund her entire endeavour. No matter. There were plenty rich enough to fund the enterprise  twenty times over, in this house. 

But of course, she was not going to go begging. The Syndicate and The Servian Collegium didn't need to know she was desperate. She'd only mentioned briefly to her handlers that she was sure her own venture would be more profitable both in gold and information than her continued work at the Venus. She was, after all, recently twenty-seven and whilst her looks hadn't faded she knew she only had limited time left. She needed to forge a new path...albeit, one she knew well. So here she was - with the sheen of respectability on the evening. It was - to those fortunate to be invited - a party to celebrate the White's good fortunes and continued success. Her handlers in the gangs would think her attendance merely a facet of her work. How could one have a celebration party for a faction without prostitutes, after all? But in reality she was going to play the field, find investors and them make her plan a reality. She smiled to herself at the thought, tossing her glossy blonde hair over her shoulder as she surveyed the crowd, looking for a catch. It was going to be a fun evening. 

TAG: Open!

Edited by Sara
  • Like 3

It had been half a year since Barbatius' death in the arena. Azarion felt... lighter. As if a dark cloud had disappeared from his life, allowing him to move on. With it, his star as a charioteer seemed to be on the rise. He won some races, and did well in others; he had an ongoing rivalry with one of the damned Reds, but at least such rivalries were good for catching people's interest. Azarion was getting better at what he was doing. And he enjoyed being good at chariot races. Damn good.

He also changed physically, in the years since he'd joined the whites. The strict training regimen of charioteers made him stronger, even if he had not gotten much taller. He was almost twenty now; back home, he would have been a full fledged warrior. Marcus even allowed him to grow out his hair and braid it (to keep it out of his face, but also to remind himself of his Sarmatian heritage). Apparently, people liked charioteers who were easily recognized. So, tonight at this fancy party, he was dressed in the tunica of the Whites, but also had braids decorated with beads and some feathers; aware that he was a curiosity more than a guest.

But hey, at least they had good wine.

He stood to the side, leaning back against the wall, sipping wine, watching the crowd. He noticed the flash of familiar golden hair. Of course she was here. These people were rich enough to afford her. Azaron smirked, giving her a wave.

@Sharpie @Sara

• Like 2

Marcus had brought some of his best charioteers, and one of the most most promising, to this evening's soiree... Seeking sponsorship was always a delicate balance, and plenty of people would be more willing to put their money into a team where they could boast of having some acquaintance with the charioteers everyone was cheering for. He was wearing a white tunic woven from fine wool, with a decorative braid trim at the hems, and an embroidered pallium over it, looking every inch the prosperous head of a successful racing faction. He quirked an eyebrow as Azarion waved at someone on his other side and turned slightly, angling himself to see who had caught the young man's eye.

Vibia.

Interesting... Azarion could not afford her, at least not yet - although if he lived up to the potential Marcus had seen in him, he would doubtless win enough money to be able to afford her ten times over, one day. He turned his attention back to the Senator he was talking with, nodding at whatever he was saying.

@Sara @Chevi

• Like 2

He waved and she grinned. Not the predatory, sometimes false smile she wore, but a genuine grin of amusement. The  little shit...wasn't so little anymore, but he was still just as amusing. She didn't forget that he'd helped her snare the man whose domus they were now standing in, at the orgy all those months ago. Granted, Lentulus had gone on to sponsor the Whites as well. Fortuna had smiled on them both that night. 

She pushed herself off the couch with lazy grace, her hips swaying in the low cut, artfully folded dress she wore as she padded over to him. "Ah, isn't it the famous charioteer and champion grape tosser." She leant to kiss his cheek softly, "I'm glad you came. I wondered if..." Her eyes flicked to the man Lentulus had pointed out as the owner of the faction - a good lay but she was after bigger fish tonight - "Your dominus would bring you. Nice braids." She gestured at his hair and then grinned back at Marcus, throwing a wave at him of her own. 

TAG: @Chevi @Sharpie

• Haha 2

Marcus wasn't really here to meet the famed Whites. He was mostly here for the naked women (and maybe the men, depending on his mood) and the wine, as usual. He'd come back into society again, the beating he gained was long ago now, almost half a year. There wasn't a bruise left on his body, but maybe a little scar within, although the more he went out and threw himself into his work, the less rough it was. The only visible mark was the scar by his brow, now a light red line by his one brow. But his nicely tousled hair would hide it most of the time and when it didn't, he did now have it in him to make up some random tale about how he got it. It wasn't the same tale every time though, but did it really matter? The girls wanted a story, they got one. As long as Ovinia didn't ask again. And she for sure wasn't going to pop in here, because Vibia was present, something that hadn't exactly been a secret. Always a lovely sight she was and always out of reach for Marcus. He did have money now, thanks to Tiberius. He just didn't have enough. And she wouldn't want him anyway, would she? She was probably the type who'd ask annoying questions too.

So he grasped a cup of wine from a slave and looked around, wondering whom to throw himself upon. Was this party meant to evolve into an orgy? He could get into that. Very easily. Not with the famed Whites though, that would be weird. Watching them race, then sleeping with them. Marcus wondered what exactly Vibia had in mind and downed some wine while watching her chat with some braided charioteer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Azarion grinned as Vibia walked over, momentarily abandoning her senator. He had no illusions about her plans for the night. But she had helped him hook his first sponsor, once upon a time, and the infamous grape story was still making the rounds, so the two of them had some sort of a business connection. She was one of the few people that didn't immediately make him roll his eyes.

"Ah, isn't it the famous charioteer and champion grape tosser. I'm glad you came. I wondered if... Your dominus would bring you. Nice braids."

Azarion smirked, gesturing with his fingers, twisting them around. He'd finally learned how to do the braids himself. How was that for a backup skill?... He made a slight nod towards Marcus. If she wanted to talk to the boss, he was the one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Marcus angled himself to be able to see Azarion a little better. While this was not the first time the youngster - young man, now! - had been to one of these networking parties, it was the first time Marcus had been able to observe him at one. He seemed to have attracted Vibia's attention in return. Well, they both had striking looks, although in very different ways - Vibia was the consummate professional courtesan, arrayed in silk that accentuated her curves without revealing everything. A courtesan whose livelihood was her body, and who knew how to leave men wanting more. Azarion, on the other hand, seemed to have reverted back to his Sarmatian roots (at least, as far as Marcus would allow), with his hair braided and with beads and feathers decorating those braids. He wondered idly what nickname he would attract from his adoring fans - there were bound to be those, if he carried on as he had begun.

At least one of the other charioteers - Flavius, Marcus suspected, from the toss of the blond head - was going off with one of the hired girls. Well, good for him; Marcus was focussed on business for this evening.

@Sara @Chevi @Atrice

• Like 2

She grinned as he twisted his braids around his fingers and followed his line of sight to Marcus Eppius. She inclined her head at him in greeting. "Ah yes, I know your dominus." She gave Azarion a little roll of her eyes before turning back to face him. Marcus hadn't been a bad lay by any means, she'd enjoyed him and his time but one client sort of...blended into another in her line of work, unless there was something particularly standout about them - good or bad. 

But another face caught her attention as she studied Azarion and she grinned a wide smirk. "How goes the hunt for sponsorship?" Her eyes followed Marcus Silanus as he skirted the room. "Perhaps we can help one another again?" She didn't wait for Azarion to gesture and interrupt before she continued; "I am seeking investment of my own tonight...now Marcus," She gestured at Silanus, "Has little of his own but he is close friends with Imperials and Senators alike. Do you know of him?" And if she could snag investment from Marcus Eppius as well - as she tossed a smile his way too, that was incidental. She cleared her throat and called in a light voice - to both Marcus'; "Marcus, will you join us?" Let them both come running. 

TAG: @Chevi @Atrice @Sharpie

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Seeing a guy with braids like that was weird, to be honest. But maybe it was a style they used wherever that charioteer came from. He knew they liked to stand out and it made sense, so people would recognize them and root for them. And swoon over them. Not that Marcus did, although he supposed the guy was actually not that bad looking. The girls probably liked him. Marcus downed some wine, he'd not been so much out and about as usual, after what happened back in May. Not that he'd ever live in celibacy - him showing up at this party proved that - but he wasn't as forwards as before. 

Suddenly he noticed Vibia glancing his way and then she called him over. Marcus arched a brow, kind of surprised, but sure. She was fine, after all, had such nice skin and hair. He bet her body was even nicer. Tiberius knew. He pushed the slight envy off though and focused on her instead, "Vibia, always a pleasure." Marcus said with a charming smile, "You seem busy, as always." He added with a wink and looked up as another man joined them.

• Like 2

"Will you excuse me?" Marcus said as he heard his name called. The man seemed uninterested in actually putting up any money and Marcus' time could be better spent elsewhere. He wasn't the only person of that name in Rome, but he had noticed the look Vibia gave him, and withdrew from a profitless conversation to one that seemed as if it might be more interesting, if not more profitable.

"I hope Azarion hasn't been giving you any trouble?" he said as he joined the pair of them, making room for a younger man to also join the party.

It didn't look as if Azarion had been giving anyone any trouble, but who knew what people might find to complain about?

@Chevi @Sara @Atrice

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Azarion could tell that Vibia was not here for pleasure. The woman was all business, but she was good at disguising it. She also didn't really pause to let him speak... or gesture, anyway.

"How goes the hunt for sponsorship? Perhaps we can help one another again? I am seeking investment of my own tonight...now Marcus...Has little of his own but he is close friends with Imperials and Senators alike. Do you know of him?"

Azarion looked over at the blonde, and shook his head. Didn't look familiar, no surprise. But apparently had connections. Looked a little miffed, as if the party was not quite good enough for his tastes. Azarion could relate.

"Marcus, will you join us?"

Two people headed towards them: Azarion's owner, and the blonde guy. At any given Roman party there had to be at least a dozen people called Marcus. Romans were unimaginative like that. You could trow a rock in the city and hit a Marcus. Azarion would have loved to try.

"Vibia, always a pleasure. You seem busy, as always." 

That was the nicest possible way to call someone a prostitute.

"I hope Azarion hasn't been giving you any trouble?"

Azarion gave his dominus a wholly innocent look and a little smirk. If he had given Vibia trouble, he would already be dead, he suspected. He wondered what her plans were for the two Marcuses tonight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

She grinned at Silanus, slipping into a new persona as easily as some women changed their dress. She arched a brow at Azarion, as if to say 'watch this', right as they were joined by Marcus. "I am, I am, but alas - not with anybody I want to talk to besides Azarion," Or do more with - but that was implicit, "Hence why I unceremoniously summoned you both." 

She casually slung her arm around Azarion's shoulders to lean against him as Marcus asked a question. "Not at all. We're old friends now." And if that didn't pique his interest, then nothing would. Flashing a smile at both the men in front of her she feigned ignorance for a moment; "And how rude of me, Marcus Junius Silanus - please meet Marcus Eppius Parthenicus, head of the Whites faction." What was it he had told her when he'd come to the Venus? "I work for a racing faction." She gave him a small wicked smile that said she'd done her homework, since then. "And his prize charioteer Azarion. We met at a party gosh...months ago now. Azarion introduced me to a new friend, and I likewise secured Lentulus' sponsorship for him. But I was wondering, Silanus, whether you're a fan of the races?" And if he was silly enough to fritter money away on a charioteer. Because if he was, then Parthenicus would be in her debt and she supposed he might have deep enough pockets to fund a small investment in her new business. 

• Like 3

Marcus wondered how in the name of Jupiter a charioteer and a slave could be so close with someone like Vibia. He couldn't afford her. Then how on Earth could a charioteer? Did they have more coin than he? It didn't seem fair. That his brother had blown it all up with the fire and now Marcus was left with nothing and couldn't get what he wanted. And a simple charioteer could. But he had his charming smile upon his face, while Marcus and another man joined Vibia and the braided charioteer. She introduced them all, the other man was also called Marcus and was head of the Whites faction. Marcus didn't recognize him. They didn't move in the same social circles. But he gave him a nod, acknowledging his presence. And the charioteer was called Azarion. 

And now came the actual reason why Vibia summoned him, or he supposed that was the reason. She just mentioned sponsorship and then asked Marcus about it. 

"Not a very big fan, to be honest. It can be fun, sure, but... I like other kinds of fun." He said with a wink to her. She was being very obvious though, so he went on, "Why do you ask? Are you going to persuade me into sponsoring this one?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Marcus noted that small tight smile on Vibia's face. So, she had discovered who he was - he hadn't told her anything that wasn't the truth, he just might not have told her the whole truth. He did work for a racing faction, that he was the head of said faction hadn't needed to enter the conversation at the time. He was introduced to the other man, also apparently named Marcus, although quite what his role was was left unspoken. He seemed somewhat displeased, although whether that was at the party itself, or at the present company Marcus couldn't tell.

Apparently the displeasure was with the present company; he seemed uninterested in anything to do with the races and would rather get Vibia on her own, probably in a room with a bed. Marcus could understand that, the woman was extremely good at what she did.

"Sponsoring a team, or a day of racing, is one way to make your name known with the citizens," Marcus said smoothly. "After all, even if you don't care for the races yourself, there are a great many citizens who enjoy watching, and free tickets always go down well."

There was a great deal of money to be made, and lost, betting on the outcome of a race, even if such gambling was technically illegal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Azarion watched as Vibia introduced the two men to each other. The other Marcus - Silanus? - was... not really anyone, or she would have added her title. Which meant that she was probably a young patrician. Those never did anything useful. But they did have money and now it was up to Marcus to convince the guy to sponsor the Whites instead of... spending it all on Vibia. To be honest, Azarion knew which one he would choose if he had the coin.

Prize charioteer indeed. He tilted his head, watching Silanus. Was he going to go for fame and politics instead of partying?... Doubtful. If he had been allowed to gamble, Azarion would have bet against it. he glanced at Vibia to see if she had anything else up her sleeve.

@Sharpie @Atrice @Sara

• Like 3

Vibia gave Marcus a sly smirk and a roll of her eyes. "You saw right through me young Silanus." she was being obvious, but it served a point. If Silanus could find investment for Marcus Parthenicus then he would be indebted to her and well...he'd sampled her wares, as they were, he knew her value. 

She watched the conversation between the two men with interest, but leant against the pillar next to Azarion, arm still slung around his shoulder, fingers tracing his upper arm. If Silanus became a little jealous about the intimacy then all the better, time and time again it had been proved  to her that men did silly things like fritter money away when they were jealous. Parthenicus was trying a different angle though and she followed along; "Marcus Silanus is in the Tullianum now, starting on his cursus. I suspect a great many men who rise high do so because of where they or their friends choose to make investment. What is your plan, Silanus?" 

• Like 2

Marcus Junius Silanus

simbqw.jpeg

The other Marcus made a very good point, mentioning that if your sponsored something to do with the races, you could make your name known. And Marcus did want to make a name for himself, wanted to rise higher - so this could be a way to start. Even if he didn't care much for the races himself, but he did care for his future. He did! He did however lack the ability to put a great deal of coin into it. Maybe Tiberius could lend him a bit. He decided though that he still needed to consider and he had an idea of how he could make an even better deal than just making a name for himself.

Vibia smirked, oh yes she was being very obvious and he decided to roll with it for now. Watching her being that friendly with a simple charioteer did make him a bit jealous, but he thought he had a plan. Maybe it would work, maybe not. But you'd never know if you didn't try. Vibia explained more about what she knew about himself to the others, and then mentioned his friends. Marcus downed a bit more wine and gave her a smile.

"You'd like to know, wouldn't you?" He said with a grin, "I can't invest much for now, I'm afraid, but..." He paused briefly, "... I can put in a good word or two with someone I know. Or maybe they'll even help be with the sponsorship. Maybe... I can be persuaded to do that." Marcus paused and eyed Vibia, "If the right person is willing to persuade me." 

@Sara @Sharpie @Chevi

• Like 1

Marcus Eppius Parthenicus

CyGRzq.png

Marcus was more than happy to become a background investor in whatever Vibia was planning; from the appearance of the nearly-nude young men and women scattered around the room, he had rather a shrewd idea what that might be, and if she was planning on purchasing slaves who would be as skilful as she was, then eventually her venture would be a good earner, too. The other Marcus would stand to make more actual money that way than by sponsoring the Whites or any of the other factions, and Marcus would not begrudge him if he chose that course. He already had a mental list of this evening's attendees who would be likely to sponsor the Whites, after all.

He couldn't help having to hide a smile at the way Vibia wound her arm around Azarion. He was not about to pay the price she would command if Azarion wanted to have her, though; that would have to be a free offering from her and Marcus didn't think her likely to offer it. Although, if she was taken enough with Azarion she might, and in that case MArcus wouldn't forbid his charioteer from the pleasure.

He couldn't help wondering if Azarion had had a woman at all since joining the faction.

And the younger Marcus wasn't being at all as subtle as he no doubt thought he was being.

"I would think even a small investment now would be gratefully received," he said, wondering just how far Vibia was likely to push things between Marcus Silanus and Azarion.

Doubtless Azarion would not appreciate being used as a pawn between Vibia and Marcus Silanus. Equally doubtlessly, he would have his own way of making that patently clear; Marcus was used to his expressive nature by now, the young man was still as easy to read as a book.

@Chevi @Sara @Atrice

Edited by Sharpie
  • Like 1