Chaos Ensues [M]

Sara

July, 77AD

It had been two full months of these rendezvous and Ovinia was still nervous every time she drew to the abandoned domus that was their meeting place. As soon as she was back in Lucius' arms those worried dissipated, overtaken by other far more pleasurable thoughts but as she sat here waiting for him, the anxiety began to creep in again; had she ruined herself? What if somebody caught them? Wasn't time running out?

She tried her level best to push those thoughts from her mind as she lounged on a couch in the garden. The heat of the the city was oppressive at this time of year and she had taken refuge in a shaded part of the overgrown, weed-covered space outside, dragging a couch with her. Her chiton was hitched up her thighs, palla abandoned in the atrium as she tried to cool down. A pink flush sat on her cheeks from the heat of the walk over here and she fanned herself in attempt to summon a breeze. If this had been real life, she'd have a slave do it for her. She cast her eyes around the space - flowers long dead besides the solitary lemon tree - sheets covering furniture in every room. If she concentrated hard enough she could imagine this place as bursting with life, chatter, laughter. It could be a home. It could be their home but instead it was a place of secrets and shadows. 

She heaved a sigh and rolled her head back to the arm of the couch, glossy black hair fanning out behind her, fan working furiously in her hand as she tried to push those thoughts away as well. She tried to enjoy the silence of the place - she was so rarely completely alone, it was in some ways a welcome respite. 

TAG: @Chevi

Edited by Sara
  • Like 1

After two full months, it still did not seem real. Every time Lucius walked up to the building and slipped inside from the alley, he always fully expected to find it empty. Even more so, he expected to find out that it had all been a dream, and he'd never had Oivina there to begin with. Was he deluding himself? Anyone sane would have told him he was. He was an idiot, as his brother (and Titus, among others) often reminded him.

And then he walked in and there she was.

They made time to meet whenever they could, but the meetings were still fewer than he would have liked. Then again, he would have liked to marry her and move into a house with her. Anything less... was still incredible. He would take what he could get.

His face lit up in a smile as he saw her, spread out on the couch and fanning herself.

"I beseech thee, O queen,—a goddess art thou, or art thou mortal?" yes, his Greek was rusty, but the Odyssey was very quotable nonetheless. And she did look like a goddess.

• Like 1

She cracked an eye as she heard his voice, a grin spreading across her flushed face. She fought the urge to run and leap into his arms; she had lost the game of trying to play hard to get, but she could at least pretend she didn't wish to jump his bones the second she saw him...that she had some restraint. The shade of the overgrown tree she was laying under cast dappled shadows of her face as she pushed herself up on her forearms to study him.

She tilted her head to the side, amusement bright in her eyes as her grin settled to a smirk. "Gods your tutor must have hated you if that's your accent." but she continued then, in her own flawless Greek; "I don't wish to be struck down by the Gods for claiming I'm divine, so I'll say a mortal...very blessed by their charity?" She quirked a brow and moved with agile grace to kneel up on the couch, trying to reach for him and pull him in for a kiss. 

Edited by Sara
  • Like 1

Of course Ovinia spoke Greek. Much better Greek than he did. Lucius liked to speak to people, even if it was in another language, but rhetorics had never been his strong suit. He smiled anyway, shedding his cloak and armor as he watched her kneel up on the couch. He loved to see her smile. That alone made anything worth it. "Very blessed." he agreed, finally moving to the couch to lean down and kiss her.

• Like 1

She smirked, even as he kissed her and she stretched her arm up so she could thread her hand through his hair. These quiet moments of intimacy felt blessed to her. Granted, they also often felt like she was on borrowed time but she would take the wins when she could. And kissing the man she loved, was most definitely a win. She pulled back, still smiling as her fingers moved to stroke his cheek. The dappled light shadowed his skin. 

"And what do you think they blessed me with the most?" She teased with a small chuckle as she sat back down on her heels, making room for him on the couch. There was wine on a small table next to them - bought at her own expense and decanted into cups washed by Lucia. "You must be roasting to death in that." She gestured at his discarded armour. "Not that it isn't attractive but you'd think they'd make it more wearable..."

• Like 1

"And what do you think they blessed me with the most?"

"Beauty, grace, wits, and a wonderful smile" Lucius grinned at her without missing a beat. He knew her enough to know she loved to be complimented.

"You must be roasting to death in that. Not that it isn't attractive but you'd think they'd make it more wearable..."

"Well... they are supposed to be functional, most of all" he pointed out with a smirk, pouring a cup of wine. It was quite hot outside. He sipped the wine, enjoying the taste, and his free hand traced along her knee. "Miss me?"

"Mhmm." She considered the armour with a wrinkled nose and curled back up on the couch, sinking into the touch of his fingers across her bare skin. "I disagree, I rather think they design them like that with all those faux muscles to make the women of the city swoon." And it certainly worked on her, not that she'd tell him that unless under significant duress. 

"No." She smirked and held her hand out for her cup of wine. "Not at all. I've barely thought of you, truly." Her spare hand moved to stroke his arm absently. "And did you miss me, Centurion?" 

• Like 1

"I'll be sure to tell that to the men. They'll be delighted to know." Lucius smirked. The fact that Ovinia found him attractive, with or without armor, was enticing. His eyes followed her fingers along his skin. "Oh, damn right I did." he admitted; he didn't usually play games with this. "I couldn't wait to see you again..."

• Like 1

"Please do. The blonde one in particular, I always liked how he glared at me." She retorted with a mischievous smirk settled on her lips. His fingers were damn distracting though and she cleared her throat, stretching her leg away from him. If her chiton was hitched over her knees well...that was a mere coincidence. 

"Tsk." She chided with the flush on her cheeks not solely to do with the heat. "Is that all I'm good for?" The darkness in his eyes was noted, firmly. "Seducing?" She tilted her head to study him. She knew he hated these games as much as she enjoyed playing them although...there was always a slight kernel of truth, of anxiety beneath her words. 

• Like 1

Lucius knew Ovinia's games. Some were for show, some were fishing for compliments, and some were for seduction. But every once in a while, some had hesitation, a hint of insecurity. In those moments, she was almost vulnerable. He gave her a softer smile, taking her hand in his to kiss her knuckles. "I love you. And when I'm with you, I feel happy. I feel at home. That's what you're good for."

• Like 1

Her face softened, the almost imperceptible anxiety drifting away to be replaced with pure love and adoration. "You're my home." She murmured. It sounded...corny and cliche, but it was true. She never felt as safe as she did than when she was in his arms. She shifted, pushing herself to stand and wobbling a little from the awkward angle of getting off of the couch. 

"So...be at attention...time for an inspection, Centurion." She smirked. "I need to ensure you've not been injured in your duties. I suggest you remove the tunic so I can be sure." Her lips curved into a devilish grin and her dark eyes lingered on his chest. 

• Like 1

Lucius grinned, standing too as she ordered him around. This game he did like. He untied his belt and shrugged off his tunica, which left him in his underwear and nothing else. "Mostly unhurt" he told her. He had a few bruises and scrapes, but nothing too serious. It had been a good week, even with the usual summertime flammability of the city. His cohorts were becoming more efficient at their job. "But by all means, see for yourself."

• Haha 1

Her eyes darkened as she took him in, that wicked grin still tugging on her lips. Slowly, she circled him, having to ball her fingers into fists to fight the urge to touch him, trail across his skin. He had a littering of bruises and scrapes that made her narrow her eyes but he was mostly unharmed. Still, she continued her circle until she drew back in front of him. She tossed her long dark hair over her shoulder and quirked a brow at him. 

"Very nice, Centurion." The smirk on her lips was utterly lustful. She planted her hands on her hips. There would be time for talking later, but...right now she firmly had other things on her mind. "I'm impressed. Maybe I'll give you a reward for your good work..." She tapped a finger against her chin, as if in deep thought. "But what to do, what to do..." 

• Like 1

Cute. She was cute when she was being playful. As if she needed to play any games to make him want her any more than he already did.

"Oh, the work is its own reward." he smirked back at her. "But I'm happy to accept a small gift... something shiny..." he added, fingers trailing the clasps that held up the shoulders of her chiton.

• Haha 1

She smirked, her breath hitching in her chest as his fingers trailed across the clasps at her collarbones. Damn him. She took a step away, trying to regain her wits. She moved to lean against a pillar that led into the garden he was standing in. Her hair fell back over her shoulder and her fingers worked through the ends of it. She felt her heart hammering against her chest in a steady, fervent rhythm. She wondered, briefly, if he knew what effect he had on her. After what they'd done he probably had a fairly clear idea but even now - not even touching, she felt her entire body heat and that flush colour her cheeks. 

"Small and shiny...small and shiny..." She murmured, dark eyes raking over his form. She found him unbearably attractive before his service in the vigiles but the ten months he'd had in the service had changed him in ways that were almost impossible for her to restrain herself against. "How about a nice new gold fibula?" She bit her lip, glancing at him through her lashes. 

• Like 1

She might have been admiring the view, but Lucius was just as distracted. The way she leaned back against the column, the way her hair fanned our and the chiton hugged her body, she was a vision. He walked closer, his gaze roaming all over her, and he leaned in, fingers touching her shoulders as he whispered. "Yes... this one. Or that one..." he chuckled, looking up at her. "Unless you have another suggestion..."

• Like 1

She goddsdamned shivered under his fingers. She liked to act cool and calm and collected but this close, with the roughness of his voice and his fingers, that aura dissipated entirely until she was flushing and her breathing was unsteady. Was this what everybody felt like? Utterly in their partners thrall? If it wasn't, she wasn't going to complain about her lot in life because right now her toes were curling against the mosaic and she wanted to be absolutely nowhere else than here.

Her own fingers moved to her belt, her dark eyes remaining intently on his face as she tugged it off. Then her fingers moved up to meet his and she flicked the catch on one clasp, followed by the other. The chiton fell and her glossy black hair covered some of her body, beset with gold pins but besides that she was naked, still leaning against the pillar. How different this felt to the first time he'd taken her here when she had been trembling with nerves and anticipation...now there was no hesitation, no reticence, just want and the same confidence she had in every other aspect of her life.

She didn't ask for permission before she leant in on her toes to capture his lips in a searing kiss.

• Like 1

• Sara changed the title to Chaos Ensues [M]

Well, the game was done now, and all the air left Lucius' lungs as he saw her naked. She always had this effect on him, and she knew it. He gave her a grin before she leaned in for a kiss, and he responded in kind, pushing her back against the pillar, hands roaming her body, lips tracing her jaw and neck as he came up for air. Eventually, his hands found her thighs and he lifted her up, ready to carry her back to the couch.

FTB

• Like 1

Titus was, for once, having a good day. The girl at the bakery on the corner of his insula had given him a free honey cake as he'd passed by that morning, along with a smile that almost prompted a flush. She was pretty, and warm and considerate in a way most people in this Godsforsaken dive of a city weren't and the image of her grin kept him moving through the streets with a faint smile tugging on his own lips. The fact that they'd also been quiet at work for the last few weeks helped his mood as well. Perennially frustrated as he was by Lucius, the man was at least improving things. Now, of course, he only had a century to lead but that century was doing well. Better than the others, in fact. It gave him hope - something that had been sorely lacking in his life. 

But as with most things in life, work still threw up small irritating problems once in a while. Today's, of course, was the missing set of keys for one of the domus' the vigiles guarded for fire risks. The box which covered all the abandoned buildings in their regio and others was habitually opened to check and where two sets had been hanging, only one remained. Titus, of course, drew the short straw to check on it whilst the other men got to enjoy the shade of the castra. 

It wasn't a short walk and by the time he arrived he was flushed, bringing out the freckles on his pale skin and sweat wicking away from his blonde hair. He grumbled, finding the key he needed and pushing open the main front door. Sounds greeted him immediately and he frowned, closing it silently behind him. He padded through as quietly as he could and only as he entered the light of the atrium did he realise he was a fucking idiot and should have found a patrol to enter with him. He was not in the mood to get murdered and tossed in the Tiber by whomever was setting up shop here for whatever nefarious purpose.

But...the sounds drew him in. Not male voices; a woman...moaning. He skirted abandoned clothing in the atrium and drew through the sheet-covered tablinum to stand on the edge of his garden and his mouth fucking gaped. The scene currently playing out on a couch underneath a tree in the garden was not what he expected to find. At all. He recognised her immediately even naked as she was - the idiotic patrician girl who burned down her kitchen on Saturnalia. Neither of them seemed aware of him; her eyes were closed, head rolled back and well...he had a pretty good idea whose head was currently between her thighs, suitably distracted from the guest that was now standing thirty feet away. 

Never one to dither, Titus merely held up his hands, cleared his throat and shook his head at both of them. "This is private property." 

• Haha 1

Ovinia was...as usual...in heaven. She could think of absolutely nothing and nobody but Lucius...Lucius currently doing things that she didn't even knew existed until a few weeks ago and was furious she hadn't been told about. One hand tangled in his hair, the other gripping the couch, she was utterly lost and her moans said as much. 

And then a voice, loud and clear, rang through the serenity of the garden and she screamed. Actually screamed, a sound as high pitched and ridiculous and genuinely terrified as one could imagine. She tried to push Lucius away with her knee, although in the heat of the moment she wasn't sure if she actually succeeded or just kneed him in the face. She scrambled to cover herself but there was nothing, her clothes were abandoned by the pillar and her palla was in the atrium. Tears of pure, undiluted panic came to her eyes and doing the only thing she could think of, she pushed herself off the couch, and ducked behind the tree. 

The man, she couldn't face looking at him, had no idea who he was, audibly groaned. 

"I can still see you, you know."

She was going to pass out, she couldn't breathe. 

• Haha 1

Well, this was not the kind of screaming Lucius had expected. In fact, the male voice behind him made him jump too, and then Ovinia went and kneed him in the face. Lucius fell back, landing on his ass with a painful groan as she scrambled away and tied to hide.

Fuck. Someone had walked in on them. Lucius felt like his stomach had dropped through the floor as her turned to see the intruder.

"... Titus?!"

FUCK.

Lucius scrambled to his feet, thoroughly embarrassed (and sporting a red mark from Ovinia's knee under his eye), moving to stand between Titus and Ovinia without thinking about it.

• Haha 1

The scene would have been comical, had it not been so utterly serious, and had it not been his boss standing there in his underwear, sporting a nice flowering soon-to-be bruise under his eye. He rolled his eyes as the woman tried to hide herself more behind the tree and set his jaw as he turned to Lucius. 

He held up his keys, they were jangling in his hand. "The other set is missing." He arched a brow at him. "Guess who drew the short straw to come and inspect it." He huffed and folded his arms, leaning against a pillar. The naked woman was still there, on the periphery of his vision but he tried to keep his eyes on Lucius, his voice hoarse from barely suppressed fury. "You are a fucking idiot. I'm guessing her father doesn't know she's here?" He waved a hand in Ovinia's direction. 

• Haha 1

Ovinia couldn't breathe. She was trying desperately to, but all she could think about was her father walking in through that door, her brothers, her mother. She clawed at her neck, trying to calm herself down and found it wet from tears  that were slipping down her cheeks. She was under absolutely no illusion that her father would kill Lucius on the spot. There would be no trial, and no need for one - he was a Praetor with the ear of an emperor, Lucius would be run through before he could say one word in his defence. She had no idea about herself and oddly, that wasn't her first concern anyway. Death or exile, probably. 

All because of the man now standing before Lucius. She didn't risk looking at him, and didn't think she could raise it from where it rested against the tree anyway, but she heard Titus. The blonde vigile? The glaring one? She didn't know if that made it better or worse but she didn't care. She managed to choke out through sobs. "M-My dress..." She gestured weakly at either man to the crumpled chiton at the pillar beneath Titus' feet. 

• Sad 1

Oh, Lucius was fully aware that he was a fucking idiot. But also... somehow out of all people Titus was the one who had been sent to check on the domus. Maybe it was a small miracle. He could reason with Titus. Maybe.

Ovinia, on her part, looked panicked and terrified. Lucius moved slowly to Titus to pick up her dress.

"No... no he doesn't." he admitted. There was no need to deny any of what was happening here. "If anyone found out..." Titus knew. He didn't really need an explanation. "Believe me, we are both fully aware how dangerous this is." He added, walking back to hand Ovinia her dress.

• Sad 1

Titus just glared at Lucius as he picked up the chiton and made his way back to Ovinia. He didn't move any closer  to either of them - from what he could see from his vantage point - the girl looked ready to bolt. He didn't blame her, although she should of perhaps thought about doing that before fucking his centurion in an abandoned domus in the middle of the day. Patrician idiot.

Ovinia snatched her dress from Lucius, unable to look at him, unable to do anything put hurriedly pull it on and clasp the shoulders. She was dressed at least, but still stood behind the tree trembling. 

Titus cleared his throat, watching the pair of them with narrowed eyes. "Are you married?" He asked Ovinia who couldn't even answer beyond shaking her head, barely visible to Titus but he got the gist. Oh Lucius was a fucking dead man. "And what happens when her husband realises she's not a virgin on her wedding night?" He arched a brow and a muscle in his jaw ticked. "You're not a Patrician any more, Sir, you don't get to do whatever...or whomever you like." 

• Haha 1