Asking for a friend

(September 77AD, the day after Keeping it in the family)

It was with more than a little trepidation that Attis, dressed in his best tunic as befit the body slave of a Senator, made his way a few streets over from his master's house to the house of his master's friend. He was not so bold as to go and knock on the main door of the house, but made his way via the side streets and alleys to the slaves' entrance, where he was able to gain entrance without very much difficulty (his master was close friends with Calpurnius Praetextatus, after all), though his request was met with some confusion and head-shaking.

"Look, I just want someone to ask your mistress if she'll see me - tell her it's the contubernalis of Lucius Cassius Longinus' girl Metella. If she says no, that's fine and I'll go, but please just ask her?"

@Sara

• Like 1

Hoartia sat in her study, the eight month old Quintus contentedly napping in a basket to the side of her ornately carved desk. On its surface was littered an assortment of scrolls and wax tablets in orderly little piles. In front of her was parchment for a letter she was drafting to the owner of an abandoned domus on the Esquiline that she thought to procure for her venture with Calpurnia. Now an emancipated woman, she could sign it herself, but she'd still ask Aulus to read it over when he returned home that evening. 

But the peace of her work was disrupted by the arrival of a house slave, asking if she would make time for a slave of Longinus' - the contubernalis of Metella. That piqued her interest and after affirming she would and neatly setting her work aside, she surveyed the man as he walked in. She recognised him at once and drove back through her impressively ordered mind to find his name. "Attis." She said in an even voice, although naturally didn't invite him to sit. "You asked to see me?" She quirked a well-shaped brow. "In lieu of my husband, or on a matter that doesn't concern him?" 

TAG: @Sharpie

• Like 1

Attis was shown up to a room that was set up to be a study, with scroll cubbies along one wall, a comfortable looking seating area, and a desk where the mistress of the house was seated. He was not offered a seat - and would have thought it odd if he had been - so came to stand before her desk. And blinked as she addressed him by his name - that was impressive; very few people of her status would bother remembering the names of their friends' slaves, if they learned them at all.

"It's more... your sort of purview, Domina," he said, and sighed. Longinus was absolutely going to string him up by the balls if he ever learned of Attis' forwardness, but they needed a woman's touch, and the only woman he could ask who moved in the same sort of circles, and might be at all considerate of Longinus' own opinions, was the woman seated behind the desk. "I... don't know quite how to ask this, Domina, but he needs to find a wife and... Well. He's had the worst luck so far. And there's nobody else who might be able to help."

@Sara

• Like 1

Oh now Horatia was intrigued and she straightened her spine, bright blue eyes sparkling with interest. She had an unusually sharp mind, one that pounced on things like this and so she set all of her attentions on Attis as he stuttered, trying to find the words he needed. And when he did...her brows rose in surprise and it was only her preternatural abilities to keep her features neutral that prevented her mouth from gaping. 

She took a moment to compose her thoughts. "You wish to seek my advice on a suitable wife for your dominus?" She asked in clarification before continuing. "And what does Senator Longinus think of your...visit to my domus today, Attis?" 

• Like 1

Attis shrugged. "He doesn't know I'm here, Domina. And it's not so much advice as... I don't know. You're a lady, you move in the same sort of circles, you might be able to think of someone who would be a good wife for him - you could introduce them." I can't, I can't do any of that, and Minerva, he desperately needs someone to look out for him, this is the best I can do!

He was risking a great deal, and knew it - if Longinus ever found out about this visit, he was almost certain to be sent east to Sulpicius Rufus' tender care. Permanently.

But he couldn't stand by and do nothing while his master ended up withdrawing from everyone around him because there was nothing for him to look forward to. Sulpicius Rufus and Calpurnius Praetextatus were both very happily married, and Longinus deserved that, he deserved to be happy - he was the most naturally effervescent cheerful person Attis knew, and it was showing less and less these days.

"He's lonely, he needs someone. He's not the person he used to be." It was showing in flashes, but he'd been altogether far too serious since Sestia. Seeing him with Beata yesterday had simply shown how much he'd changed over the past year or more.

@Sara

• Sad 1

Horatia listened intently, not interrupting  until Attis had finished his explanation. Then, she took a moment and sighed, sipping from the glass of water on her desk as she considered her words carefully. "I know your dominus far less well than my husband does." She admitted. She didn't mention that she didn't care for him as much as Sulpicius Rufus, she found Longinus' enthusiasm...overbearing, occasionally, particularly given her own reserved nature. "But I have noticed he has not been himself." She sighed and set down her glass, leaning back in her chair.

"Your concern for him is a credit to you," She sighed and offered him a gentle smile, "I will not tell him you have been if that is your concern but...I do not know him intimately enough to know what he seeks in a wife. Perhaps you could enlighten me?" 

• Like 1

Of course she didn't know him as well as her husband did - Attis' master had served in Britannia with Calpurnius Praetextatus, after all; Attis had somewhat less than fond memories of the place, but did remember the Consul there, years before he'd ever been Consul.

"He's... He needs someone who can make him laugh." He'd stopped laughing, stopped smiling as much as he used to. He'd grown up, but he'd grown up all wrong and there was no way on the gods' green earth he was going to say that to this cool, calm, collected patrician lady. "He needs someone who can give him a son, but most of all... Domina, he's had his heart broken. He needs someone who can help him enjoy life again."

And Attis, who only cared to admit to an emotion about once a decade (more often if it involved Metella, but even so!) was torn up inside over it all, though he'd die before Longinus ever dragged that confession out of him.

"And I'm all out of ideas, and don't know anyone who might fit the bill." And wouldn't be able to arrange any sort of meeting between them if he could think of someone.

@Sara

• Sad 1

Horatia nodded in understanding, her mind drifting back to a conversation she would rather forget. She might not know Lucius Cassius Longinus as well as her husband did, but she knew a great deal about his relationship with one particular woman. What had been the advice she'd given Sestia, upon learning she was with child? His child? To wed quickly, and make it his problem as much as hers. But from her understanding she'd done neither - fleeing the country instead. Whether the child still lived was beyond her, but whatever had soured their relationship had clearly impacted this mans dominus more than the woman. 

She was lost in contemplation for a long moment, thinking through her words carefully before flicking her eyes up to Attis. "He loved Sestia Vaticana a great deal, if I recall. She was a friend of mine, from long ago." She pulled forward an empty tablet and tapped the stylus against it. "But she was neither young nor ideal for marriage but he loved her. From my own relationship with her, I...knew her to be headstrong but not idealistic, pragmatic, warm and kind. Or that was what I thought." Before the woman had stopped replying to her letters. "I don't think your dominus would do well with some young naive girl fresh from her fathers domus." Which somewhat limited them. "But perhaps I'm wrong?" She asked in challenge. 

She jotted down a few names, circling one or two. "My sister in law Calpurnia is great fun," Her lips twitched in amusement, "And beautiful. But too old for children, perhaps. Or my cousin, Horatia Sosia...although she's young and more on the naive end of the spectrum." She sighed, frustrated at herself that she couldn't make the puzzle fit. "But I could implore the men of my family to make introductions to him. If you can find out what he desires or...does not, with those two, I shall have a better idea of the sort of woman that would fit." The plan crystallised to her as she said it.

• Like 1

"There was a possibility of an arrangement with, um, an Auletia Sergia, but there's nothing come of it, Domina," Attis responded with a shrug. "I don't know if age would make much difference, so long as she isn't a child still, or as near as makes no difference. More than anything, he needs someone kind." The lady's description of Sestia Vaticana matched with the impression Attis had formed - she would have been good for Longinus, had been good for Longinus, before everything had fallen apart.

Someone great fun - that could be a possibility, though hadn't Calpurnia What's-her-name been a Vestal? Which might make her too old - but really, Attis thought that his master needed a wife more than anything. If she could give him a son as well, that would just be the honey on the savillum, as far as he was concerned. It sounded a distinct possibility.

"If you can introduce him to either of these ladies - or both - I can let you know what he thinks, Domina." If he didn't make it clear during the meeting.

It had been a hugely unorthodox plan he'd conceived, to come here, but judging from the way she'd pulled her writing tablet across, and the thoughts she was thinking aloud, it seemed that the Consul's wife - ex-Consul's wife. Whatever - was intrigued enough to get involved. If she hadn't, Attis didn't know what he would have done - he'd been desperate enough to come here, and had nothing else he could try.

He hoped that his master would appreciate the effort!

@Sara

• Like 1

She smiled and nodded, striking Serge's name from her little list in front of her. "I will co-ordinate introductions and you are welcome back here after those visits to inform me of how it was gone, and this will remain between us." Aulus would perhaps think her meddlesome, but if she could puzzle out a problem like this then she would get satisfaction from it. And help Longinus. 

Taking another sip of water, amusement lit her features and she studied the man before her. "I must say I was intrigued when they told me you were here. I had thought it might have something to do with the favour I owe your wife." Wife was...not quite right, but she was being polite. Her eyes drifted fondly to little Quintus, asleep in his bassinet at the side of her desk as if remembering that day. "How does she fair?" She asked, having not heard the news of Beata's birth or freedom. 

• Like 1

"Thank you, Domina." It was heartfelt; if she had decided not to admit him, or listen, or not get involved, then that would have been it. He didn't have any idea what else he might have done, in that case.

"No, oh no, it's got nothing to do with that." They didn't know what to ask for; to be able to request a favour from the wife of an ex-consul would require something spectacular, probably.

The smile that came to his face as she continued was genuine, unbidden, and he glanced down at the baby asleep in the basket - this must be the child that Metella had helped deliver, returning home almost drenched from head to foot in blood. (Well, maybe not quite as bloodied as that - but she certainly looked as bloodied as any butcher!)

"She - Metella - had her baby nine days ago, a girl. My master freed her, yesterday - took her up." And they hadn't asked, hadn't approached this lady to ask. He'd just done it, and then looked so puzzled that Attis and Metella had been befuddled by it because they hadn't asked. "She's named Cassia Beata."

And she was perfect, with wisps of reddish hair that must be from her mother. If she turned out to be half as beautiful as Metella, she'd turn heads everywhere she went, when she was older.

@Sara

• Like 1

"Then am I to assume you're still thinking what you'd like to ask?" She chuckled. She supposed it might be a little overwhelming. she couldn't offer as much as her husband but...she had his ear, after all. Nothing, really, was off limits to her. She supposed to somebody enslaved that was an immense thought. 

But for once, the look she gave him was one of visible surprise and delight - her features unschooled and natural. "He...he freed her?" She choked, utterly bemused but she grinned from ear to ear. "I would like to make it patently clear, I did not ask him to do so." She would not interfere in the household of Longinus, after all, that wasn't her place. Her grin settled into a gentle smile as her fingers trailed over her son's cheek. "I'm happy for you both. And her, of course. And Metella is well?" She asked, her voice a little more anxious. "I should like to visit her, if you think she would be up to it." 

• Like 1

"It's Metella who helped you, it's her favour, Domina," Attis responded, and nodded. "Yes, he said as much. And Metella is... well, she's recovering. It wasn't easy for her." He felt rather guilty about being the cause of that, but not guilty enough to wish his daughter didn't exist, which was something he'd never expected to feel, ever.

He blinked, trying to parse her next words. She... wanted to visit Metella? Had the world gone crazy - Metella was the slave here, Horatia Justina was the patrician lady, it ought to be Metella visiting her, surely?! "I'm sure she would, but, shouldn't it be her who comes here?"

Someone remind him what grammar was, again, please? Longinus would laugh himself silly if he heard the mess Attis was making of what ought by rights to be simple Latin!

@Sara

• Like 1

She gave him a look of understanding at his words and nodded. She had survived the birth and the nine days after it, that was something. Her own experience with Calpurnia suggested Metella wasn’t out of the woods just yet, but she was close enough that she had good odds now of living through it. Living to see her daughter grow. She exhaled a breath she didn’t realise she’d been holding. “I’m glad to hear it.” She said would have thought it a great injustice if she had lived and the Gods took the life of the woman who helped her. 

The contemplation was replaced by amusement at his words and she quirked a brow, a small smile tugging on her lips. “It’s amusing to me that men, slave or free, are equally uneducated in women’s matters. If somebody had suggested to me that I should get up from my bed nine days after a difficult birth to see a woman I barely know I…might have been somewhat less charitable than I usually am.” She chuckled, “I am not cruel enough to ask her to do that, even if you appear to believe us Patricians have no thought for another.”

• Like 1

"I - it wasn't that, Domina," Attis replied. "But, pardon me for saying so... the slave quarters of my master's house aren't exactly used to having patrician visitors."

Even their own master didn't bother with the narrow cramped dark corridors and poky rooms of the slave quarters of his own house, after all. Though the image of this elegant woman stooping to avoid the low lintels that were commonplace in the service areas of Roman houses was amusing, though he was careful not to smile in case she thought he was mocking her or something.

"But otherwise I'm sure she would be... She'd be honoured to have you call." Of course she would; what other patrician lady would deign to call on a slave, after all?

• Like 1

Horatia's lips tilted in amusement at the utter bemusement on the slave's face. She merely shrugged lightly, sipping her water and setting it down again before she spoke. "I would hope not. I know Lucius runs an...irreverent home, but I would hope I'm the first visitor of my class to grace those rooms." She didn't need to say that it was not the most peculiar place she'd been; securing a black eye outside and then inside a brothel ranked number one. Aulus' face was a picture when he'd learned of it. 

"I will visit tomorrow." She nodded, not giving him a chance to claim Metella would be busy. She imagined her other tasks could wait until after the Consul's wife had been to see her and her new born. "Was there anything else Attis?" She asked. 

• Like 1

"I'll let her know, Domina," he managed, still trying to wrap his head around the image of this elegant patrician lady bestirring herself to come and visit a slave. Longinus would probably laugh at the very idea... Attis couldn't help hoping he might; Longinus didn't laugh as much as he'd used to and it was rather unsettling.

"No, Domina, there was nothing else. Thank you for your time." His unorthodox request might bear fruit, she looked as if she would do something on Longinus' behalf, and Attis could only hope that something is came of it all.

And if his master ever found out about his meddling, chances were high he'd make Attis regret his presumption. Unless said meddling worked. Time would tell, on that count.

@Sara

• Like 1