Prestigious Invitations

Echo

March 74 CE

Caecina always got a pleasant flutter in her stomach whenever she was honored with an invitation to the imperial palace. It was a sign of her family status and her own efforts to climb higher on the social ladder. But, of course, those flutters also signaled a nervousness. While Caecina had been trained from birth to associate with the highest social classes, she still felt insecure in her teachings when faced with other young women her age. As always, they appeared as competition for everything from husbands to the best clothes and fashion trends. Caecina made sure to always watch what other young women were wearing, how they were arranging their pallas or fixing their hair and cosmetics, all in order to fit in. Yet, she found her own ways to stand out, jewelry among them. 

Today, Caecina was dressed in a well-patterned chiton of deep blue with a matching palla, gold earbobs, and her favorite bracelet, of a serpent wrapping around her wrist. The sign of the snake both comforted and kept her aware: comfort that her family would protect her, and awareness that she needed to be self-sufficient sometimes, too, and aware of her actions. She arrived right on time, punctual as would be expected of a guest of the imperial palace. She was directed to the gardens by a praetorian, admiring the architecture and art so lavishly placed in the palace as always. Soon enough, she was in the garden to meet her friend Claudia Caesaris, a woman her age with whom Caecina had grown up and grown fond of. Claudia had always been kind to her. Caecina let out a bright smile as she saw the other young woman and embraced her, kissing her lightly on either cheek. "Claudia, it is wonderful to see you! Thank you for your invitation." 

@Gothic

Edited by Echo
  • Like 1

Claudia had grown up with wealth and privilege. It was the norm for her. Today she would be seeing Caecina Tusca, she was the daughter of one of the Generals who had supported her uncle during the civil wars, and had married her cousin, Flavia Juliana. It gave Caecina access to the Imperial family along with several of the family members. The pair knew each other well over the various years. Claudia's reputation had been one of fashion although that was not the focus. She wished to be known for her mind, wit, beauty, and her strength. All things possessed by her mother, the late Augusta, Lucilla, and by the current one, Drusilla. 

She was seated in the garden. One of her favourite spots that had smaller things that reminded her of her childhood, and her connection with the Imperial family. Her clothing was relatively simple. Her chiton was stark white, expensive in the struggle to ensure the colour was maintained and her jewelry was relatively minimal. Claudia's hair was loosely curled, half-tied up and decorated with small gold chains with semi-precious stones dangling from them. She stood up, smiled and embraced Caecina to her and held her. Her kisses on either of Caecina's cheeks.

"Caecina, it is good to see you again and it was no bother. Come, sit with me. Have you been well?" Claudia asked, interested to know how she was doing. It was some time since she saw cousin, Juliana and her children, too. 

@Echo

• Like 1

Caecina was also used to wealth, though perhaps to a lesser extent. No family could match the imperials with both funds and breeding or access to all social classes. But Caecina felt that she had led a very privileged life. She had all she needed for comfort, servants and slaves to aid her, fine clothes and jewelry. It was not hard to make her happy. Caecina was not as deep a thinker as Claudia. She wasn't sure how she wanted to be known. Perhaps for popularity and for being a great lady, once she had time to think about being a great lady, that was. 

Caecina observed the other girl's clothes, noting the simplicity but elegance of the fabric and her hairstyle. Caecina was fond of colors but she recognized the wealth in well-made, clean, simple but elegant clothes. She smiled happily as Claudia greeted her and accepted a seat. "I have been very well, thank you. I hope you have been as well?"

@Gothic

• Like 1

"I am, it has been too long since I have seen you last," Claudia answered, and it had been. Caecina's personality was different from Claudia's. Caecina was more of a brat and while Claudia had her moments, she was better at keeping them under wraps. "Excellent, and you look lovely. So vibrant." She added, her gaze moved around her friend's face and her clothing. A woman's clothing and hairstyles were a sign of both her status and a way for her to express her creativity. Claudia smiled, her cheeks flushed and took her friend's hands in her own in a friendly gesture. 

"Now, what have you been getting up to? And what has cousin Juliana been doing? And how are your siblings?" She asked a series of questions in excitement. Slowly but surely she would be traveling among society in Rome, and it was expected for her to have a knowledge of what was happening in the wider circles of Rome. The questions may have come quick. Although she was delighted to see her friend and wanted to know more about how she was going. 

@Echo

• Like 1

Caecina grinned at Claudia's compliment. "Thank you, and you look lovely as well!" Caecina loved to use her clothing to express herself, especially her jewelry, but she tended to stay within the trends. Claudia was always immaculately dressed; Caecina always made an effort to notice what other women were wearing and Claudia set herself apart with her clothing. 

The conversation began in earnest, with the young imperial asking a series of questions, each more excited than the last. "The usual, as always; lessons, parties, visiting family. Juliana tends to stay at our villa in Italy; she loves the peace and quiet, though I will confess that it gets quite dull there for my liking. The city excites me so." A slave poured watered and honeyed wine for the pair and Caecina accepted a cup. "My siblings are quite well. Tell me about you, though! Your siblings?" 

@Gothic

• Like 1

She smiled at the compliment. Men demonstrated their level of power and progress through the use of politics, armies, and wealth. Women on the other hand showed their own through their clothing, hairstyle and jewelry along with their individual tastes. Claudia listened to the responses and was not surprised when Juliana remained primarily on her villa. It had been that way for many years now. Her hand extended and accepted the cup of honeyed wine, sipped it and listened to Caecina answering the latter set of questions she had asked. 

"I am not surprised about cousin, Juliana. It cannot be healthy for her being on in the villa away from Rome," She answered with a compassionate sigh. "I am happy you come to spend time here in Rome," She added, a friendly pat on Caecina's arm, "I am happy to hear about your siblings. Gods, they must be getting big now." Claudia admitted, perhaps it was time for her to take some time out of her day and visit Juliana in her hermit refuge away from people. 

She technically only had one surviving sibling yet for personal (and political) reasons she included her cousins from Quintus, too. 

"Rutilana is good, she is growing up," She added with a wide, affectionate smile. "Little Drusus is growing up, and Titus and Tiberius are also well," She chuckled to herself. "Not to mention being annoying. Sooner or later, the pair of them will be taking their role in Roman society." 

@Echo