Mother Dearest

Echo

Late June, 75CE

Back to the villa it was, then. As much as Caecina loved the city, it often became unbearably hot there and it was preferable to retreat to the villa, at least so that she could enjoy the shade of a nice tree. And, of course, it was time to pay her stepmother a visit as well. Caecina and Juliana had been growing steadily closer over the years, until Caecina thought of her like a friend and confidante, even like a mother. Being in the villa also gave Caecina a chance to spend time with her younger siblings, who looked up to her. The young woman always felt like she must be on her best behavior around the young ones, in order to set a good example for them. 

As Caecina's litter drew up to the villa, she stepped out and breathed in the country air. At least it wasn't so dusty and crowded as the city. Just then, the door opened and her younger siblings spilled out, running to embrace her. Caecina laughed as she was overwhelmed by the children, picking up Quintus Minor to give him a hug and a kiss. As she set him down, she saw Juliana and she grinned warmly. "Ave, Juliana. It is so good to see you."

@Gothic

• Like 1

Juliana was often concerned with how Caecina was behaving in the city, and even debated keeping her at the villa. Yet... it would not do for an unmarried matron to be away from the city and the connections that could be made. However, Juliana made sure to keep an eye on her stepdaughter. She watched from behind a pillar at the sight of the elder sister embrace her siblings and smiled. A reminder that it had been quite a while since she had last visited her own siblings. She raised an eyebrow at the greeting, approached and drew Caecina into a loving embrace. It was another reminder that Caecina was maturing. 

"I will forget the greeting." She said, gestured with a not so subtle arm around Caecina's shoulders. "It is good to see you, too. Now.... I must ask what encouraged you to come to the family villa and visit me?" Juliana asked warmly. Still curious about what she had been up to in Rome..... and she had received some interesting news about some of Caecina's behaviour. "How are you? And what has been happening in Rome?" She continued to ask. 

@Echo

• Like 1

Caecina had really spoken without thinking about it. She wanted Juliana to be impressed with her, not only because the older woman's connections with other nobility and the royal family helped Caecina greatly in the long run, but also because she loved her and wanted her respect. So, she had spoken respectfully to the other woman, and when Juliana brought attention to it, she smiled in surprise. "Sorry - perhaps that was a little formal. I missed you," she said, brushing her hair behind her ear. Juliana wrapped an arm around her shoulders and they moved into the domus, speaking. 

"What, I can't just want to see my family?" she teased lightly. "It's mostly that, but Juliana - it's so dreadfully hot in the city. I had to get away for a few weeks or so." She had been melting in the family domus in the city, and there was very little she could do to cool off. The villa was better constructed with air flow in mind, and there was plenty of shade in the trees that surrounded the area. "Oh! I brought you a gift, too. Astraea-" the dutiful Greek woman brought a small package forth, which Caecina deposited in her stepmother's hand. "I hope you like it." Once the woman opened it, she would find a nicely constructed gold necklace inlaid with white gemstones. That praetorian she'd met had said they were from some faroff land. Caecina couldn't remember. 

Then, Juliana asked how she was and what she'd been up to. "The usual, you know. Shopping, meeting friends, the games sometimes. I am very well, though. Marcus has been staying in the family domus most of the time, so we keep each other entertained." She thought briefly of her stepbrother and smiled. They kept each other entertained, indeed - and not always in ways Juliana might think were appropriate. "And how are you, and everyone here?"

@Gothic

• Like 1