Aeterna Roma RPG

Work hard in silence, let your success be your noise

Jenn

March

Tacita woke to both Corva and Linus telling her that she would be going with Claudus to the office today. She got up from her bed and put on a simple but clean tunic. Tacita took her bag, had a quick breakfast, then headed out with Claudus. They headed through the Roman streets, weaving through various side streets until they hit the market warehouse. When they entered, Tacita hung her satchel, with her wax tablet, up on a wall hook- she wasn’t allowed to use it at work unless Claudus gave her permission. Tacita gave a quick look to Claudus with a ‘do you need anything’ look and he shook his head then waved her away. He headed off towards his office and she grabbed a nearby broom and began to sweep the room.  

@Sharpie (for Aulus)

• Like 1

Aulus did not particularly need to be anywhere near the Emporium Magnum but he had no real reason not to be, and no pressing need to be anywhere else. As Consul, he was preceded by a small army of lictors - personally, he though that enough prestige and entourage to go any man's head but it was only for the year and who knew what might happen after that.

"You can stay outside; there's not going to be room for everyone inside," he said, privately thinking that he'd rather not have to pay if any of them broke anything. He relented at the expression on the chief lictor's face. "Just you, I don't need everyone."

He wanted to buy something for Horatia. He didn't need to, but he enjoyed buying gifts for his wife - and he had just foisted a bodyguard on her, he really ought to make up for that with some pretty trinket or scroll (though her library possibly rivalled the new library being built by Octavius Flavius, and he didn't have a clue what she already owned).

A new slave might be just the thing - maybe a girl she could train up for Calpurnia, or a new hairdresser or something? He turned towards the area occupied by the slave dealers.

@Jenn

• Haha 1

On this day, the main slave market itself was fairly quiet. Many of the vendors had warehouses surrounding the main market area where they would do business privately. Tacita had come with him on this day to the warehouse to do some general busy work- tidying the warehouse. Claudus had recently gained a new shipment of slaves which meant there was more dirt, dust and mess to take care of. She had spent the morning sweeping the dust & dirt into one larger pile and was in the process of depositing it outside when she noticed a heading in their direction. Tacita gave a quick bow and darted back inside the warehouse to inform the foreman that there was possible business. He went off to inform Claudus who went out to meet him. (Claudus) “Welcome Dominus.” He bowed then stepped back to let the man inside if he wished to enter.

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"Thank you," Aulus said, stepping inside. 

"Are you after anything in particular?" the slave dealer enquired. 

"I'm not sure. I want to get something for my wife, but I have nothing particularly in mind." Horatia had her own body slave, of course, and various girls for all aspects of her domestic sphere, from a girl to do her hair to... 

He thought she might like something a bit different from everything else she had. He would get her a book or two if he had any idea what she might like and did not think that he would end up giving her a duplicate copy of something. Books could be impersonal and he wanted something she would like.

@Jenn

The Senator, whom he knew to be Aulus Calpurnius Praetextatus stepped inside and Spurius followed after him. “Are you after anything in particular?” Spurius listened as he went on to say he was looking to get something for his wife, but he had nothing particular in mind. Usually something for a man’s wife from a slave merchant centered around a body slave, cosmetic slave, or general female slaves for the domestic household. “Come with me to my office- I have some refreshment available, while my foreman gathers up my slaves for you to look at.” Spurius waved a hand to the foreman, then they headed off to his office.

Having seen the men approaching outside, Tacita had informed the foreman and then put her broom. Away. She generally stayed out of the way during these situations as she wasn’t technically for sale- as she was owned by Spurius, but Tacita and another woman were handed a tray of food and a jug of wine. Tacita took the jug and followed the other woman towards the office. They arrived at the door, gave a knock and after hearing Spurius’ command to enter, they entered the office. The woman who was with her set a tray down near both Spurius and his guest, gave a curtsy then stepped back out of the way. Tacita, poured a cup of wine and with a curtsy offered it to Spurius’ guest.  

@Sharpie

• Like 1

"I don't have anything particular in mind," Aulus admitted, following the other man into his office. He took the cup of wine offered to him - the girl was quiet, as was expected, and pretty. He wondered if she was one of the wares for sale, or not.

"I suspect my wife could do with a project," he said, the idea really only coalescing now. Horatia had been a little down of late, if it could really be called 'down'. He couldn't really put it into words, but she hadn't been quite so happy as in previous months - maybe it was because Aulus' attention was now taken by all the rites and duties he had to fulfil as Consul, maybe it was something else. He felt that she needed some sort of distraction, something to employ her powers of intellect and empathy.

What that could be, he didn't know. Why he expected he might find the solution in the slave market was equally unknown though perhaps a barbarian child she might be able to teach Latin to, or someone she could train to be a secretary or something might fit the bill.

@Jenn

• Like 1