Good news, bad news

Chevi

"You, my brother, are an idealist." Maybe it was a good thing that Lucius didn't want a political career, but the cut-throats in the street were hardly likely to be any more amenable to him than the cut-throat politicians in the Senate.

He studied the ruby depths of the wine in his cup for a moment.

"If you come back to me after a week and you think you can do the job - I want you to take a realistic look and evaluate it properly, for what it is not what you want it to be - I will find an equestrian to adopt you into his family. And while I'm not a praetor, if you bring a case to the courts, I'll do my best to see the criminals don't bribe their way out."

There was corruption up and down which was probably why the collegia ruled the roost in some parts of the city.

"I just hope you don't regret this."

@Chevi

• Like 1

"You, my brother, are an idealist."

"There are worst things to be" Lucius noted, sipping his wine. He was not going to argue with the truth.

"If you come back to me after a week and you think you can do the job - I want you to take a realistic look and evaluate it properly, for what it is not what you want it to be - I will find an equestrian to adopt you into his family. And while I'm not a praetor, if you bring a case to the courts, I'll do my best to see the criminals don't bribe their way out."

He was going to take a realistic look. A close one. Lucius was not going to spend the week dreaming and babbling, he was going to put his money where his mouth was, and jump right into the job. He was not sure how one got started with the vigiles yet, but he doubted they would turn away an extra pair of hands. And if he really wanted to learn how all this worked, he had to start at the bottom anyway. At least he knew one person now. Titus was going to help, for sure. "I appreciate that. Truly."

"I just hope you don't regret this."

"I hope so too. But I won't know until I try" he finished his wine and stood. "I'll get back to you soon. Thank you, Gaius."

Lucius had a feeling this was not the last time he was going to test his brother's patience.

@Sharpie

Edited by Chevi
  • Thanks 1