Jannus is into men as much as he is women. However, he has a very specific type of person he's looking for. If it's not them, it's nobody. Alexius has no need to worry, for if Jannus ever barges in during the day or night, it's likely to play a game of dice or talk about recent events. He won't deny that Alexius carries his age well, but he's old enough to be Jannus's father. No thanks. The slave needs a mentor, not someone to sleep with. One day, he'll find someone who appreciates him for who he is, but until then he's fine with being single. As a slave, he has all the time in the world. Since there's no incentive for him to have children or get married quickly, he may as well free himself from the pressures placed on freedmen to have a family.

"He is," Jannus agrees. "I only hope I'll be able to connect with him more." Someone new comes into the popina; from what he sees through the entrance, the sky is the color of pitch. Where had all the time gone? He'll have to pull off the great deed of entering the insula silently, one complicated by the fact that Olipor sleeps in the living room. The man may be old, but he has the hearing of a cat. 

One last question before he says his goodbyes: "Are there any habits or quirks of my master I should be aware of? Things he likes?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius hoped for Jannus' sake he'd be able to connect more with Teutus too, but the truth was that not all masters wanted to be that close with their slaves. Usually body slaves were those who knew their masters best, but the rest of them, not so much. Of course Teutus might try and do it differently than his father had done it, but it was impossible to say. Alexius still didn't quite grasp how you could desire to own a slave, when you'd been one yourself. Alexius didn't feel he had the need for one. But Teutus did.

Alexius noticed how Jannus glanced at the entrance to the popina, but then he didn't seem to be in a rush after all. Maybe they could walk home together. He didn't like the thought of Jannus alone in the Roman night. Especially not with maniacs with knives walking around out there. Maniacs who attacked innocent people. Jannus might be an easy victim. No, gods... he would not be walking home alone! Luckily Jannus knew nothing about it and just wondered about Teutus' habits and quirks.

"I suppose... well he likes to be respected, I think. And appreciated. I know he's your master and you're supposed to just appreciate him, but he does work hard and he has come far. He's a good man. It's not his fault his father was difficult." Alexius explained then and downed the rest of his drink, "So... more wine? Or shall I take you home? Follow, I mean... or... we could walk together. We both live there." How to fuck up a simple sentence! Jannus didn't seem to want to be taken home like that by Alexius, after all. Maybe he had enough wine anyway. 

@Insignia

• Like 1

The wine loosens his inhibitions. Have respect? He'd been doing that the whole time. In the back of his mind, he considers a fanciful plan. Maybe he could run away, find his home, reunite with his family. Not that it would prove fruitful. Reality is harsh but he clings to its solidity. Teutus is fair, almost kind. This time must be different. Things will work out the way he wants them to. What does he want? 

Night air chills native Romans, but it nourishes Jannus, breathes life into his body. Cold is calm. Cold is silent. He wants to be alone with his thoughts. If he weren't so late, he'd certainly spend some time on the roof in an oddly calm game of air and earth. Three sides tug at each other in a triangle. Unknown to him, larger dangers lurk the streets, and there are enemies he cannot see. In places like these, he needs friends. 

"Not sure I'd consider it home, but these things change on a case-by-case basis." He slowly gets out of his chair. "You've done so much for me already. If you'd like to have my company on the way back, more than fine by me."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius had downed another cup of wine - which number tonight? The second or third with Jannus and he didn't count them before that. But he didn't feel very drunk. And he was always ready for a fight, almost no matter how much he had to drink. So he could easily protect Jannus, should he need it. The question was if Jannus wanted more wine or to go home now. Alexius stumbled over his words, thinking he should just have stayed quiet. But Jannus was nice and didn't seem to get it, so he just kept on talking. He wasn't sure he'd call the home he had with Teutus for his home and Alexius felt sorry for him. He'd had other masters before. It was so messed up that people could be bought and sold as if they were furniture and just had to deal with their new reality every time. And it was expected they'd just play along. 

But Jannus went on, saying Alexius had done much already, but he was welcome to have Jannus' company on the way back... "Well I wouldn't mind it." Alexius said with a smile, "You really seem like a nice guy. I'll make sure to tell Teutus my good impression of you." Alexius added and placed a few coins on the table, paying for their drinks, "Alright, let's go." He said and stood, waiting for Jannus to follow him out into the Roman night. Ignoring the glances from people who saw the little scene earlier and who might assume that Jannus was destined for Alexius' bed. But he wasn't. And Alexius shouldn't care about their opinion anyway.

@Insignia

• Like 1

Jannus downed about two cups. Despite his taller frame and having a bit of experience with imbibing too much, he's still a bit of a lightweight and feels like he could fall asleep if he sat down again. Time to stay standing for the time being, unless he wants his master to find him passed out in the courtyard, or, even worse, in Alexius's room. The optics on that situation are too embarrassing for him to comprehend. He recalls those rumors, little throngs of sound lazily passing by like shed feathers. who knows, Alexius and Teutus very well may h-he does not want to think about that possible scenario. It would make him feel even more awkward at his current place of residence. 

He'd had an entire discussion with Alexius about his roots in hopes of settling his questions about who he was, but the words shared between them only stirred up more questions. Rome's shiny veneer is beautiful, yet Jannus's never been able to truly appreciate it. Instead, he sees behind that veneer to look at Rome as it really is for people like him: an iron cage. Damn it, why couldn't he stop wondering? 

"Thanks. It's good to have someone like you on my side," he says as he follows Alexius out. The night is brisk, and it cuts away at the weight of the wine. He feels lighter. 

@Atrice

• Like 1

The night wasn't so warm, it was still winter, but Alexius wrapped his cloak around him and hoped Jannus wasn't feeling too cold either. Since Teutus lived in the same building as he and Alexius also worked for Teutus, it made sense to walk home with Jannus, even if they'd go their separate ways once they reached the building. It was a pity Jannus didn't seem interested in him like that, and it was also a pity that Alexius would have to spend the night alone. His son might be grateful though and perhaps a good night's sleep would be nice. Even if company was nice too.

Jannus broke him out of his thoughts by saying it was good to have someone like Alexius on his side. Alexius smiled, "You're not the first to tell me, but you're absolutely right. You're safe with me, Jannus. I don't know how often you go out at night... but... dangers lurk here. It's not so wise to go out alone." At least not when you were Jannus' size. Alexius was larger, more muscular, more skilled at fighting. He was not afraid. But Jannus should be, he thought. Think if a man like the maniac that attacked Ovinia and others found Jannus wandering the streets at night, alone? Jannus might not come home then. Or he might, but he would be wounded.  They really had to catch that sick bastard, sooner rather than later!

@Insignia

• Like 1

He'd be lying if he said it wasn't a little chilly, but his winter tunic's made of a denser weave than his summer one. His previous master may not have been the nicest guy (in fact, he could be downright monstrous when he wanted to, which was practically all the time), but he did do a good job of making sure his slaves had proper clothing for the seasons. With a little bit of extra comfort, the household can keep being run like a well-oiled milling wheel. Did milling wheels have oil? Probably not. There was still so much he needed to know about the world outside of what his masters wanted him to do. All the places he's been and seen, yet he still needs to derive meaning for himself. 

Perhaps he will find love for himself one day. He may be a slave, but he's learned not to settle when it comes to things he has control over. And yet-

"Dangers? What do you mean?" Jannus is tall in comparison to a Roman, and he's very good at running away from bad people and bad things, but he has no self-defense skills whatsoever. If one person catches him off guard when he's not in his stride (e.g., right now), it's all over for him. But he's a good slave, he tells himself. He carries nothing of value on himself when he walks, and has nothing to hide. Who would attack him? Besides, the times he's walked out alone at night have all been fine for him. No reason to believe anything would change the status quo.

@Atrice

• Like 1

As they walked through the streets towards the insula where they both lived - Jannus in a proper apartment with several rooms, together with Teutus and Varinia and the rest of his household... Alexius lived further up in the insula in a single-room flat with his son. He told Jannus about how dangerous it could be to go out at night alone and Jannus looked at him, wondering what dangers Alexius spoke of. 

"Madmen. People who will do crazy things. And not always for coin. Trust me when I say, I'd prefer you don't go out alone unless you know how to defend yourself." Alexius said and looked at Jannus, "Do you know that though? Can you fight?" Jannus wasn't the tiniest slave he'd met, just young and maybe a bit... naïve, or so he seemed to Alexius anyway. He would hate to find out that Jannus too had met the madman who cut Ovinia, Pinaria and many others. No one deserved that.

@Insignia

• Like 1

Jannus has the temerity to raise an eyebrow. Not like Alexius can see it in the dark, anyway. He'd never gotten attacked in the night except for some close calls with low-level thieves. Even then, he didn't get hurt, only startled. Why would anybody ever rob a lowly slave like him? Surely they had bigger fish to catch, more profits to make. What was so bad? Nevertheless, he accepts it. 

"No. But I can run." Honestly, he should learn how to defend himself properly instead of fleeing, and Alexius would be the perfect instructor for that in the future. However, Jannus doesn't think he needs it at the moment. He's gotten used to his new duties, yet there is still much he has to learn. As for the first question: "Know what? Has something happened recently?" He appreciates Alexius's words, but they seem a bit off. Surely the ex-gladiator should know that Jannus is capable of evaluating situations correctly, right? Right? 

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius tried to carefully insinuate that people did not always attack you for coin in Rome. Apparently some people attacked others because they liked doing it, for some obscure reason. The way several women had described how the insane attacker had touched their wounds was... indescribable. Alexius could not understand why anyone would treat strangers like that, even if he had once fought strangers in the arena too. But he didn't have a choice. This person did. And they still did it. Fucked up as they were. And he wondered if Jannus would be able to defend himself, should be attacked by such a maniac. 

Jannus said he could run and Alexius made a little sound, that was not always enough, if you were already caught. Should Ovinia just have run away? Pinaria? Azarion's friend who was murdered? They hadn't been able to. Even Azarion had not run away. It was the attacker who ended up doing the running. Jannus then wondered if something had happened recently. Alexius didn't wish to scare him. But he did wish to keep him safe.

"Something always happens in Rome. And as I said, not everyone attacks you to steal from you. Trust me when I say, that there's all kinds of crazy people in this city." He said and that was saying a lot without saying too much, "Running is a good start... but if you ever want to learn a move or two to defend yourself, let me know." 

@Insignia

Jannus plays by the rules. He follows the behaviors expected of him and respects the rites of Roman society. He's convinced himself that his current place is more than enough. If he obeys perfectly, there is nothing to hide, and therefore no reason to be attacked. That is what he prefers to have happen, anyway. At the end of the day, he's a person who's given a clear job with a clear list of tasks to be accomplished. Anything not pertaining to that is something he keeps locked away. He would not be able to defend himself; in fact, he'd be nothing more than a sitting duck. And yet he accepts it.

"I'll think about it," is all he says. "I appreciate the offer, and I'll take it once I adapt fully to life under Teutus's ownership." There it is. A promise, even if vague. Jannus feels he can do more. "If I end up in trouble on the street, I'll knock on your door." Better to lead the trouble to somebody who has the power to resolve it. 

@Atrice

• Like 1

He worried a little for Jannus now, if he thought the best option was to run, if he was ever attacked. That was not always an option at all and in Rome, where all kinds of crazy had its home, Alexius liked knowing that his friends knew how to defend themselves. He was glad he taught Didia something too, even if it hadn't been easy for her. But hopefully it made her feel more confident, should something happen again. And that was a good thing too. Jannus said he'd think about the offer, and he would take it once he'd fully adapted to Teutus as his owner. Alexius nodded with a smile, glad to hear it. Then Jannus said he'd knock on Alexius' door if he ended up in trouble on the street.

"Yes, that's a good option too. You're more than welcome to come knocking." He said, looking at Jannus, "Also when you're not in trouble. If you need a break or just to breathe, my door is open to you." Alexius said, glad to have made a friend again, even if said friend was a slave to one of his other friends. It mattered little to him.

@Insignia

Fighting is hard, but running is easy. In fact, running is oddly comforting. Feeling the thrum of his feet against the ground helps root him in reality. Even at night, the moon overhead exposes parts of the city he doesn't see during the day. The occasional animal poking its head out. The sounds of the city, minus its people. The clean air blowing in, not as tainted by the activities of the day. Yet even Jannus cannot do without company for too long, hence his reason for going to the popina. Perhaps he still needs to find a healthy balance between being alone and overwhelmed. At least he has a safe tie with Alexius. Best to have an emergency solution outside Teutus's domain.

"Thank you. It's nice to have somebody on my side." Jannus is acutely aware that he should really be resting by now. The stars are shining, but he can't bring himself to enjoy them. Maybe another time, with a friend. Or an acquaintance. Any works. "We'll likely meet again," he says, waiting before opening the door to Teutus's insulae. Wouldn't do to wake his master up.

@Atrice

• Like 1