Agony Aunt

Sara

Charis didn’t seem to know what a praetorian was and Cynane gave her a smile, “Praetorian. They are the official guards for the imperial family. But they’re only men.” She explained then, it did not seem likely that Cynane would be freed and promoted to praetorian. If she was freed, she might stay as a bodyguard. Or they would force her to actually become a Roman woman, who would wear a dress and have a husband and children, if she could. She couldn’t imagine herself as a Roman matron wearing skirts.

Cynane had mentioned how Roman men didn’t like their women with weapons and her friend laughed and said they could not be blamed. Cynane couldn’t help but smile, when Charis said she’d call on Cynane if she was ever in trouble. Cynane took those words to heart and although it had been said in jest from Charis, once more it meant something to her… “If you are ever in real trouble, I will fight for you if I can. Trust me.” She said with a smile to her friend and soon after, they came upon a great sundial in the gardens and Charis suddenly realized she had to go. Their conversation had been so relaxed for a short while, but now reality returned.

“Oh…” Cynane said and turned to her friend, “Be safe, please. I hope the herbs will do you good and not bad.” She would beg Brigid to protect her friend, even though Charis did not seem to want it. She feared the herbs would do Charis bad and she’d die… she might never see her again. Having a child removed like that could be dangerous, as they already discussed. Cynane would rather keep Charis with her baby than lose her friend for good. Cynane leaned in to embrace Charis, perhaps a little tighter than usual. She didn’t have a lot of close friends, after all.

@Sara

• Like 1

Charis buried her neck in Cynane's, as if savouring every last moment of this embrace and her friend. She was still trying, determinedly, to think that everything would be fine and she would rid herself of the child and things could go back to 'normal' (whatever normal now was for her). Yet in her actions, her fear was evident. She couldn't stomach the thought of not seeing Cynane's face again or the poor woman hearing of her passing. What if she never saw Ardra again? Or was buried somewhere so far from home? 

She tried to shake the thought from her mind as best as she could and hurriedly pulled away from the embrace. "Two weeks." She affirmed and raised her hand to stroke her friends cheek in a familial way. "Two weeks and this will all be over and we will have wine and grin and laugh again, I promise." 

Before she got upset and the tears that were gathering in her eyes fell, she turned on her heel. By the time she reached the domus - some time later - Jocasta was waiting for her, arm on her hip and smirk on her face. Her absence had been noted, she said, but Charis only brushed past her. She needed to speak to Teutus, and she needed to do it now.

TAG: @Atrice

Thank you for a fab thread! ❤️ 

• Like 1