Poker Face

Atrice

Florus' village had a similar tradition, only with mead instead of bread, so he didn't make the association with the honey cake. Still, he was grateful for it. As a slave, in Rome, he was never offered sweets. Attis had shared his with him, the other day, but other than that, the cook never offered him more than the usual slop. 'Gratitude,' he said as she handed him half the cake. He quickly bit into it, not realizing how famished he was. The sweet taste filled his mouth, and made him happy, though he wasn't very good at showing it.

'I hope I can,' he replied. 'My dominus is counting on it. He's very disappointed the lemon trees have got to go.' The new trees had to work.

His enthusiasm about meeting another Briton gardener was short-lived. Apparently she'd been punished for months, and her dear friend had not seen her since... Who knew what fate had befallen her? 'People shouldn't own other people,' he said, scowling. 'I hope your friend is alright and you get to see her soon.'

@Atrice

Edited by Ejder
  • Like 1

He thanked her for the bread and she gave him a smile, taking her own bite of the honey cake too. It was good. Now that was a thing they couldn't make in Britannia - she never tasted one until she came here. Sure, they had ovens, but actual bakeries? Not in her village anyway. Maybe the Roman towns had them now, but it wouldn't be same with a Roman bakery in Britannia. It just sounded wrong. Still though, that was one of the few good things the Romans had given her. Meanwhile Samorix spoke of how he hoped he could get the lemons or his dominus might be disappointed. 

"Oh... and a disappointed dominus is no good. I'm sure you'll find what you need." She said with another encouraging smile to him. But then she managed to bring down the mood, although it hadn't been the plan. She just recalled that Charis was a gardener too, but then had to of course tell him the sad story of how she'd not seen her friend in a long time... and why. Samorix said people shouldn't be owned and she of course agreed. Her people had owned slaves too, although they called them thralls and to her, it was different. Up there, they didn't have a market. You weren't sold or bought this way. It often had to do with a debt you had to work off or it was a punishment for a crime. It wasn't the same as here, where they'd sometimes treat the people as little more than cattle with a speaking tongue. 

"I hope she'll be alright too. It's one thing that they own people... but another with how they treat them. Not all the Romans are bad of course, but many of them are. Their views on slavery... it's just different from what I grew up with." She said. Claudia was not the worst domina to have, more the opposite really, but all the rest could just go to the underworld and rot if you asked her, "I wish it was easier to get away. But they hunt down their slaves and brand them, if you run away. Or kill them. They do as they please."

@Ejder

• Like 1

Florus took another bit of the cake, still savouring it. The Romans were pigs, but they did their honey cakes right. And, left in the right hands, namely his, they did their gardens right. 'I believe if the seeds don't sprout, my dominus could still purchase mature plants, but it's more expensive than buying a few lemons.'

No one in Florus' village had owned slaves. He'd been unfamiliar with the practice until his capture by the Romans, and then had been brutally made aware of it. As far as he knew, this was not a practice in Britannia. Then again, his experience of life was limited, here as it was there, now as it was then.

Again he looked left and right before he spoke. 'Anyone who owns slaves is bad,' he replied. There wasn't much room for nuance in his view. People weren't cattle to be owned, sold and traded. It was unfair that his life rested in the hands of some idiot who didn't know who he was, and had very little respect for him as a human. He'd heard all the horror stories from his captors about what masters could do to their slaves, and what horrors they could visit upon them. 'I hope your friend's fate is much different.'

Florus started to walk towards the fruit stalls. 'Do you mind if I keep working while we talk? I don't think my dominus would be too keen on me taking more time than necessary.'

@Atrice

• Like 1

He really seemed to enjoy the cake and she was glad she bought it for him. Charis had really been fond of the cakes too. Damn she wished she’d see her again soon. But Samorix was good company too, she’d already decided that. Young and nice and they certainly shared some of the same views. Now they were talking about owning slaves and Samorix just seemed to think anyone owning slaves would be bad. Cynane would beg to differ, she thought it depended on how you were enslaved. And if you were captured and literally forced into it, it wasn’t good or cool at all. If you’d somehow earned it… but she didn’t believe she had. And Samorix hadn’t either.

“I think it depends. But we can agree that the way Romans own slaves is bad.” She said, hoping he wouldn’t take offence, but who was she to stay silent, when she did enjoy speaking her opinion. Around the Romans she was more careful, but she felt she could trust Samorix to not run with her secrets, so she dared to trust him. Hopefully it wasn’t stupid. Samorix asked if he could work whle they talked, so he wouldn’t take too much time.

“I don’t mind at all. And if you need a hand, let me know.” So far, she thought he could use a hand in looking out for himself. He had already confessed that he was no warrior and he didn’t appear to be the type at all. With some training, he could be. She wondered if he would be interested… “So you can’t fight at all, Samorix?” She asked, still talking their own language. A shopkeeper glared at her for not speaking Latin, but she ignored it, while gently trying to get into the subject. Cynane enjoyed teaching it to others. And what if Samorix went out some night and some thugs decided to have fun with him? He wouldn’t be able to do anything.

@Ejder

• Like 1

Florus continued to eat the cake while looking at Cinnia, his expression neutral. No, it didn't depend. All slavery was bad. No one should be held against their will in servitude. It was wrong. If she was going to make excuses about it, it wasn't going to go very well. She didn't hold the moral high ground on slavery just for being a slave. She had to be opposed to it in all its forms for it to actually count. But hey, at least they agreed that the Romans were terrible. It was not enough, though.

Florus was distracted in his musings by his work. 'I want to buy lemons from different kiosks to make sure that they came from different trees. That way, I know that they're going to have different characteristics and be healthier in the long run when I plant them.' It didn't make sense to everyone; it certainly hadn't made sense to one of the slaves he'd spoken to about it, when asked why he needed to leave the domus.

'I can fight. Sort of. You take the sword or the spear, and you just thrust it in the enemy's gut. That's all there is to it, isn't it?' He wasn't sure if he had ever managed to kill anyone, but that wasn't to say he hadn't tried.

@Atrice

• Like 1

Maybe the discussion of slavery was for another time and another place – not here in the market, where they might speak together in their own language, but Rome had other slaves from Britannia and someone might hear. She would love to discuss it with him… few ever did, after all, so why not? But not here. The conversation moved on though, while Samorix spoke more about lemons and Cynane nodded, she didn’t know much about gardening, but he seemed to like talking about it, so why interrupt?

Still though, while they spoke, her thoughts drifted back to him saying he was no warrior. And she wondered if he even could fight at all. He explained what he knew about fighting and she smiled, like a mother might smile to a child who thought they’d figured out how the world worked.

“That’s the basics, I guess. But to properly wield the weapon… to defend yourself… that’s different. And besides, here in Rome… it’s forbidden to wear weapons in the open. You need to know how to fight without them.” She explained and ran her fingers over some fruits in the stall they stood by, although it didn’t really interest her. They smelled nice though, “I could teach you… if you would like to learn. Not today, of course. Not here.” She looked up at him, curious about what he’d say to such an offer. Anything to help a likeminded kinsman. The fire inside her had never truly died out, after all.

@Ejder

• Like 1

Florus was distracted in his thoughts about lemons by Cinnia's proposal. He knew carrying weapons in the city was forbidden. It was probably better this way. Romans didn't need to use more weapons against other people. He looked at the other Briton in confusion. Why would he need to know how to fight? The only reason he would need that would be to fight against the Romans, and he would never do that, because it would get him crucified. And funnily enough, he wasn't exactly keen on that.

'Why would I need to learn how to fight?' He wasn't in immediate danger, surely? Not in any more danger than being held captive by the Romans represented, surely?

@Atrice

• Like 1

He seemed interested at least, in her proposal to teach him how to fight. She knew a thing or two… she was a trained warrior since she became a woman and after she came to Rome, she learned how to fight as a gladiatrix. And she’d used all that in her job now as a bodyguard. She even taught the princess how to fight, although no one knew. She didn’t know if Aia or Decimus noticed anything the night they were attacked; but Claudia fought well for a Roman princess. Cynane was proud. Samorix could learn too.

He wondered however why he would need to learn how to fight and she moved a little closer to him, away from the possible listening ears near the shops. It could easily be crowded here and the seller in the tent had already glared at her once for speaking her own tongue.

“Because Rome… you said you’d been here a few years? This place is a rat’s nest. And it’s everyone for themselves. Anyone can be attacked in the streets. I heard a seamstress was attacked last year by the river and died from her injuries. And she wasn’t even a slave.” Cynane explained, “It’s good to know how to defend yourself. You never know what’s going to happen here.”

@Ejder

• Like 1

'Two and a half years,' Florus specified. He hadn't much been able to leave the domus before, so he had no idea what kind of place Rome was. All he knew was that he hated it. It was not home, and it was indeed a rat's nest. He didn't need to visit it to know as much.

'She died?' Florus was oblivious to Cinnia's change in tone. 'Why was she attacked? Do you think I'd get attacked?' Why? Why would anyone attack him? No one knew him. All he knew was that when he got out to the markets, some men yelled things out to him and jeered, and he couldn't really understand their accents, but he was uncomfortable enough that he took detours.

@Atrice

• Like 1

How could he live in Rome for two and a half years and not know what Rome was like... and what people were like here in Rome? Of course, it wasn't everyone, but bad incidents happened more or less every night. And there was a criminal underworld here, Cynane knew this much, even if she was never involved with it. She had ears too, she listened to stories and gossip too and she knew Rome was corrupt and dirty. She had to stay alert and aware, for the sake of Claudia. But too sweet Samorix knew nothing, it seemed. He was surprised to hear that a woman had died after an attack and asked why... and if he'd get attacked.

"They probably wanted to rob her. Or rape her... maybe both? And it's not an uncommon story, Samorix. Anyone can be attacked. Especially us who don't matter much to the free Romans." She explained, "Maybe someone will attack you, maybe not. But would you risk it happening... and being unable to fight back?" This matter was serious to her and she felt Samorix had to understand these things. He was almost acting like a little brother who refused to believe the stories she told him. But they were true. Rome was no lie... and he would be easy to attack, because he was so friendly and was unable to fight. And he was handsome too. He'd be an easy target. Didn't he know this?

@Ejder

• Like 1

Florus continued to look at Cinnia with his neutral expression, but he was surprised. Of course, he probably shouldn't be. The Romans were terrible people. He knew nothing of them and their city, but he didn't care. The only thing he needed to know was that they were just the worst, and that they enslaved people, and often murdered them just for the fun of it. Still, though, there was no reason for him of all people to be attacked. He rarely left the villa, and when he did, he kept to himself, and avoided interacting with anyone.

'I don't carry enough coin to make me a target,' the young Briton said. Enough for the baths and a mutton skewer, that was it. He wasn't stupid. Besides, he didn't actually have much money at all. 'But all the same, I wouldn't hate being able to defend myself, if ever I needed it. You would be willing to teach me?'

@Atrice

• Like 1

Didn’t young Samorix understand anything? She didn’t know how much older than he she was, but he certainly seemed very young and inexperienced. A lot more than she’d been at his age, she thought to himself. But she also learned how to fight as soon as she was mature enough to hold a real sword and she’d wrestled with the others since she was a kid. It was obviously different for Samorix, who didn’t know why he’d be attacked.

He argued that he did not carry a lot of coin and she arched a brow, “They might not want to target you for your coin, but for your body.” She said honestly to him, because really, that was the truth of it. Whether he wanted to hear it or not. And then he said he’d not mind being able to defend himself.

“I certainly would, in my free time. It would be a pleasure to teach a fellow Briton.” She said with a smile to him, “How often do you go out to the market like this? Or I could wait near your master’s domus if you get free time, and I can pick you up. I’ll find a safe spot for the practice.” She added, already wondering where that could be. She might actually be able to bring him to the palace, maybe use one of their sparring spaces there. Everyone knew her. Surely they’d not mind.

@Ejder

• Like 1

How would anyone target him for his body? Florus was already a slave, he couldn't get double enslaved. Did slaves really get kidnapped to be used at other people's villas? He was already a gardener at Rufus' villa. Being randomly brought to some other Roman's gardens and told that he now had to tend to these would undoubtedly feel weird. He didn't know that it might really happen, but he surely didn't want to be thrust into a situation that might mean life would be worse for him.

'I would rather it be during my time off than during the times my dominus sends me out,' Florus said. If he abused of that time, he had a distinct feeling it would be taken away from him. And then he'd be beaten, or worse. It was best to do any unauthorized activity during his spare time. 'I generally get one free day a week,' he said. Truthfully him taking his day off depended on his evaluation on what needed to be done. He preferred having a perfect garden than a day off. And what did he even usually do with his free time? He ate a mutton skewer, and went to the baths. Nothing really special to await with anticipation. But training to defend himself, now that was something he could look forward to.

'How can I send word?'

@Atrice

• Like 1

She would have rolled her eyes, if she knew his thoughts on why anyone would target him for his body. Slaves were the lowest of low and there to be used by any free Roman, that’s what she understood and learned so far. It was lucky that she now belonged to the princess and was allowed to walk around wearing clothes she preferred to wear – few dared to target her, but the same could not be said for Florus. It was surprising no one had taken advantage of him yet, it might actually be easy, with his purity.

He suggested that if they met for his training session, it would be during his free time. Cynane nodded, “That’s fine, I’ll see if I can be free the same day as you.” She said with a smile to the young man, who then wondered how to contact her. That was more of an issue. Cynane did not really know how to read and write and it didn’t sound like he knew either…

“Maybe just… come to the imperial palace, find the slave and servants entrance. And ask for me. They know who I am. I’ll find a suitable spot to train at.” She was well known, currently the only former gladiatrix being the bodyguard to a princess. A female bodyguard, able to go where the male praetorians could not, so that she could always protect her princess. And so that’s what she did.

@Ejder

• Like 1

Cinnia was kind. It seemed like he really was meeting kind people when he came out to the market. He wouldn't exactly start speaking to more people, not really, but it was good to know that not everyone was out to murder him. At least the slaves weren't. The Romans probably were, but it wasn't like Florus had any cause to address any of them. Fortunately for him, really.

'Do you think I would be allowed to go to the imperial palace?' Where was it, anyway? He'd never been, but now that Cinnia had pointed out his vulnerabilities, he didn't want to make it clear that he was also ignorant on top of it. 'It's Cynane they call you, right?' He didn't want to make the mistake of calling her Cinnia to the guards' faces. Suppose it landed either of them in trouble?

'I look forward to it, Cinnia.' Florus nodded at her politely. 'If you'll excuse me, I really need to buy those lemons now.' Without any more ceremony, the gardener trotted off to the next kiosk.

@Atrice

• Like 1

She did try her best to be kind to her own compatriots at least. She might have lived here for more than a decade, but she would never forget where she came from. Some slaves adapted, forgot their own language, they were assimilated. Cynane lived here, she knew the language and she knew the rules but she was certainly no Roman and never would be. It would seem that Samorix here was like her, only he knew less about how Rome functioned. He had not been as exposed as she was.

Now he even wondered if he’d be allowed to go to the palace, “If you tell the slaves there my name, or maybe even the guards… it should be fine.” She said with a friendly smile to him, “And yes, it’s Cynane to the Romans.” She added. Samorix then excused himself, perhaps they’d spent too much time talking and he needed to return to his master soon, with those lemons.

“I look forwards to it too, Samorix. Stay safe.” She said while he turned and disappeared in the crowd. Well she came here missing one friend, but she had made another. Maybe one day, she’d see Charis again. But until then, she would look forwards to seeing young Samorix and teaching him a thing or two about how to defend himself.

@Ejder

FINISHED

Edited by Atrice
  • Like 1