I just called to say...

Sarah

Tertius didn’t know if he’d been in love with Varinia back then, but he had liked her a lot and he hadn’t just ordered her to his best the first time he thought of it. He had enjoyed talking to her and looking at her and spending time with her, so it only felt right to sleep with her too. How could he have known that she’d fall pregnant with his child so soon? And it wasn’t his fault that his father hated it and didn’t feel the need to recognize a bastard as a child to the Varus family. And then his father had sent Tertius away along with Secundus, thinking a bit of time away from Rome would do them both good. Then Secundus was missing. So much had happened back then. So much had happened since.

And yet suddenly here he was, enjoying wine with Varinia, who looked as lovely as ever, even though he did not feel it was right to suggest a romantic relationship with her. Even if a part of him wanted to refresh memories and see if there was still something there. But they were not children anymore, they were adults and had to behave like it. Varinia answered his words sweetly, saying they could now arrange things to suit them. Rather than anyone else. Gods.

He chose to make a toast then. To their growing friendship.

“It has been good to see you too, Varinia.” He said after he’d taken a sip, looking at her. Inhaling a small breath as he set the cup away, because he felt his heart beat a little bit faster. It would not be fair to Peregrinus and to Charis. He had to do the right thing this time.

“I hope you may come and join me for dinner sometime in a near future? I have to return to my work now though. But… I am glad you came.” Tertius added with a smile to her. He wasn’t going to get any work done this afternoon, he thought to himself. As if it wasn’t enough that another bastard-born son of his had come to Rome, Varinia showed up and was so kind and sweet and lovely that it would be hard to not think about her. Life was never going to give him a break, was it?

@Sarah

• Haha 2