Aeterna Roma RPG

Come Out and Play (open)

Saturnalia, December 76AD

"Theo!"

The sun had set, the western sky still glowed with pinks and purples, but already torches were lit along the main streets and outside the domii and insulae. The sounds of celebrations could be heard from various quarters as the citizens of Rome enjoyed the One Night of the Year when the rules were tossed aside and freedoms of all kinds prevailed.

Spurius always tried to run his stock of slaves down as low as possible as this night approached, but for those who remained he had thrown a lavish banquet, complete with wine and entertainers, and then thrown the doors of his warehouse for the night, locking only the inner store rooms. It said something of his confidence perhaps, or the way that he treated them, but virtually all would be back by morning and any that weren't were usually sleeping off a hangover somewhere, and trickled back eventually.

Once he'd served the banquet he'd left them to it, wandering off into the night with a jug of good wine in his hand. His own personal slaves were also out doing as they pleased, and once the warehouse was seen to he always felt somewhat at a loss on these nights. Perhaps it reflected the rest of his life; there was a certain emptiness. Most of his peers were wed with families of their own, or involved in politics, or other dealings, or had some vice to service. He had none of these things. He told himself that he was happy that way, though the vision of his once intended would occasionally float in the mind's eye. Her father had rejected him on his return, not wanting a cripple for his daughter. Never mind that he was set to establish a successful business, which he had. He was a cripple, and probably that was how most saw him. It was easier not to risk more rejection, if not the most fulfilling. He told himself he had plenty and was content.

Sometimes the greatest lies are the ones we tell ourselves.

What he had surprised himself to find was a certain camaraderie with another ex-legionnaire. He didn't know where the man lived, but he knew where Theo worked, and on impulse he headed that way, and found himself standing at the entrance of the ludus, calling out hopefully.

"Theo! Theodorus!"

@Chevi

• Like 1

Theo was ready to pack it up for the night at the ludus when someone called his name. The gladiators and the staff were out; the former, at all kinds of parties, many of them at their sponsors' houses, the latter, lost in the general hustle and bustle of the festival. Some would tickle back in the morning with various ailments, most likely, so the medicus planned on returning the next day. In the meantime, a nice dinner at the insula...

But then, an unexpected guest appeared in the ludus doorway.

Theo poked his head out of his workroom, noting the familiar figure in the light of the torches.

"Spurius!" he smiled in surprise "Are you visiting, or looking for help? I hope there is no trouble..."

@Sarah

• Like 1

"No trouble no, not at all." Spurius assured Theodorus, surprisingly delighted to see the man emerge from the Ludus. After their companionable chat during the races he'd realised how few friends he had outside of his work, and decided that, where he met individuals of such clear quality as Theo, that should be remedied. "At least, not yet." The oddly cheeky little smirk suggested that Spurius might actually be contemplating some trouble, or at least mischief, and also that he'd probably already drunk some of what was in the jug he carried. But then that might also explain why he was standing in the entrance to the Ludus, yelling.

"Are you still working?" He asked, hoping that the answer would be no. "I just felt like some excellent company and thought you might like to wander with me and see what men and Gods are up to this evening." Because it really could be anything. When he'd first been injured he'd been so frightened of being knocked over or falling that he'd spent Saturnalias at home, but now he was a sufficient combination of adept and resigned that he came out to celebrate as well.

At least this time if someone collecting him, he'd have a medicus with him.

@Chevi

• Haha 2

"No trouble no, not at all. At least, not yet." 

Theo noted the jug of wine Spurius was carrying, and chuckled. Io Saturnalia, indeed. Well, maybe it was time to pack it up for the evening anyway. He had no idea what a drunk Spurius would be like, but if he was going to spend the evening with a friend, the fellow veteran was not a bad option.

"Are you still working? I just felt like some excellent company and thought you might like to wander with me and see what men and Gods are up to this evening." 

"I am done for the night" Theo answered, ducking back into the room to grab his cloak and bag. Excellent company. It made him smile cheerfully. "But if we are going to drink, I am going to need to eat something too. Let's go." He locked up the room before they turned to head out. "Where do you usually celebrate?"

@Sarah

• Like 1