Make not war

Chevi

How did one even carry out a hit on someone?

Felix felt wildly uncomfortable as she waited in the alley behind the popina. He probably made an intimidating sight with his tall, bulking form in the shadows, which had been the whole point of the dominus choosing him for this task. But being strong and tall did not really mean Felix was a violent person. Or that he knew how to 'teach someone a lesson.'

The someone in question was a man named Alexius. A freedman, whom what Felix knew; someone who frequented this popina among others, and someone handsome enough to also frequent the bed of the dominus' eldest daughter. Who was unmarried, but definitely not a maiden anymore. The dominus wanted to keep the scandal under wraps, but also wanted this Alexius to pay for what he had done. Hence, he picked the largest slave in the household - Felix - and sent him out to beat the man up. Thoroughly. Break a few bones. Maybe punch an eye out. That sort of thing.

Felix could not refuse a direct order. He'd just have to get on with it. He had been in fights before a couple of times, and he had also been beaten occasionally when the dominus felt he did not do his job well enough, so he was familiar with the general concept. And the man definitely deserved the beating, for doing... those things with the lady, and ruining her honor. That part really angered Felix. The domina was kind and friendly, and she did not deserve to be seduced by some freedman from the Subura.

Yes. He should focus on that. Just punishment.

There was movement at the door of the popina, and a man stepped out into the alley. He was tall, and decidedly handsome. Fit the description. He had to be it. Felix waited for him to look towards the exit of the alley before he moved from the other side, lunging at the man, aiming to get his arm around his throat and drag him back into the shadows.

@Atrice

• Like 1

It was an evening like any other to him. He'd finished the day's work and had gone to find something to eat and then expected another night of fun in Rome. That was the plan and it had gone very well so far. He found one of his favorite popina's and had a good bit to drink, soon feeling rather good with a lady in his lap and there was a guy who'd been making eyes at him too. Eventually though, the lady had to leave him with just a kiss and Alexius winked at the guy before he left the popina. If the other wanted him, he could just follow. Else he'd find somewhere else to drink or maybe head home to his bed? He did have work tomorrow. Although it would be such a pity if the night did not end the best way possible.

Those were the simple thoughts on his mind as he left the popina, but he didn't get far before he was suddenly grasped around the throat and dragged away from the street towards the dark alley nearby. What the fuck?

Fuck no!

Old habits kicked in easily. He didn't think, he simply reacted. That's how it was done. He did several things more or less at the same time. While he forcefully and actively walked backwards, helping the other move into the nearest wall to bang the attacker into that, he also bent over. And at the same time jammed his elbows backwards, hoping that at least one of his moves and hopefully several of them, would force the other to let go and get off his back, literally. At least he knew how to fight. At least he knew that! 

@Chevi

• Like 1

Felix managed to get his arm around the man's neck and drag him backwards. There was not much resistance... quite the contrary, the man threw himself backwards, slamming them both into a way. Felix groaned at the impact, as Alexius threw his elbows at him, trying to get away. He had strength, and he did not panic. Felix kicked out at the back of his knee, but his hold around the man's neck slipped anyway. As a second best option, he brought his own elbows down on the back of the man's shoulders.

@Atrice

• Like 1

Why would he panic? Fighting was in his blood, it came as natural to him as drinking wine and having sex. Instead of panicking, he simply reacted the best way he could to the attack. The stranger groaned when his back hit the wall and Alexius smiled a little, although he still had no idea why he was attacked. He elbowed backwards at the attacker, who kicked to Alexius' knee. At least his hold loosened and Alexius ducked away from the other's arms. Just in time, as the other brought his elbows down to Alexius' shoulders! They hit him, but he swirled around to see his attacker and also take a few steps away.

The other was also a big and handsome guy, not unlike himself. It made sense someone, who wanted to attack someone, would send a guy like that. But why? 

"Please, stop!" Alexius said, holding up his hands in front of him, still panting a bit after the sudden amount of energy he had to use. As much as he enjoyed a good fight, he wanted to know why they were fighting in the first place! Maybe there wasn't a reason, maybe it was a mistake, or something... "Why are you doing this?" 

@Chevi

• Haha 1

The man got free and turned, staring at Felix. He seemed ready to put up a fight. Shit. Felix could find it in himself to beat up someone if they deserved it, but he was not exactly a fighter. 

"Please, stop! Why are you doing this?" 

Felix moved towards him, but he could not throw a punch without all of it devolving into a brawl. Dammit. How was he even supposed to explain it? If anyone came out of the popina, this was going to get worse.

"Because you touched someone you shouldn't have."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius was more than ready to put up a fight, he just really needed a good reason. He hated hurting someone without good reason. Of course, them wanting to hurt him was a good reason for him to hurt them, but still... why hurt him in the first place? The other stared at him, seeming uncertain. Moving towards Alexius, who naturally moved away at the same time. Almost like a dance, wasn't it? Then the other explained himself. 

Oh.

Oh

"I touch a lot of people... I wouldn't touch someone who didn't want it." He said, couldn't help but smile a little, but really, he had to remain serious and alert, in case the other came at him again... "Who exactly are we talking about?" 

@Chevi

• Haha 1

Felix watched realization dawn on the man's face. Did he know whom he was talking about?

"I touch a lot of people... I wouldn't touch someone who didn't want it."

Well.

Felix frowned. He was not lying. If he had... forced, the domina, he'd already be dead. Dominus would have had him hunted down and quartered. As things stood... it was pretty clear the young domina had wanted this man to touch her.

"Who exactly are we talking about?" 

Oh, screw him.

"The daughter of a very important man. Who does not take kindly to any of this." Felix was not sure the importance of his dominus would make this man stand down and let himself be beaten up, though. So they were at somewhat of a stalemate.

@Atrice

• Like 1

When Alexius revealed that he didn't touch people against their will, the other frowned and remained silent. Well he was telling the truth. He seriously did not understand the point of sleeping with someone, if they didn't want him too. What fun was there in that? If only one was willing and the other would lie there, just waiting for it to be over? No fun at all. 

But of course it all led to the next question. Who did he sleep with, that he shouldn't have? He slept with anyone who wanted him. Low or high, it didn't matter. Maybe it was the wife of a an old and fat Senator or someone mean? But it wasn't.

The daughter of an important man. Alexius tried to think back. This had to mean she was young. Who had he slept with recently, who was young? There had been that stunning young woman a few weeks ago, he'd met her at the market and helped her pick fabric for her next dress, fabric that would match her pretty blue eyes. She never told him her relations or whether she had a husband or not. It hadn't mattered at the moment. It rarely did, to be honest! And now this guy here wanted to beat him up for it. Alexius was ready to defend his own honor... if he had any.

"I see... well, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to touch her. She didn't exactly tell me not to." He said with a grin, gods, he couldn't help it! "So... are you going to try and beat me up now?"

@Chevi 

• Haha 1

"I see... well, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to touch her. She didn't exactly tell me not to."

Felix frowned deeply. He did not like this man talking about the young domina like that. She was kind, and... well, apparently not that pure. Still, she had an honor to be protected, and it was not in good hands here. "You should have known better than to touch any noble woman."

"So... are you going to try and beat me up now?"

Felix looked at the man warily.

"I have been ordered to."

@Atrice

• Haha 1

The other frowned again, when Alexius explained that he didn't know he was not supposed to touch her! How could he know, when she didn't say it? Was he supposed to ask everyone he wanted to bed, whether he was supposed to or not? That was not going to happen. He only slept with people who were old enough, mature enough... and he expected they were old enough to think for themselves. Or, he didn't really expect it. He just didn't think about it. But now that he did, that's how it was.

His attacker claimed he should have known better and Alexius shrugged, "Maybe I should, but it's too late for that now, isn't it?" He replied and wondered what would happen next. Was he going to have to fight or what? The other said he'd been ordered to. But he didn't move, seeming uncertain again. He didn't want to, did he? 

"But... you're not going to." Alexius said and now he did take a step closer to the other, looking at his handsome face... he had a strong and masculine jaw, friendly eyes. It really would be a pity to punch that! So... he would have to do something else... "You can't go home now either though. Your master will know you didn't complete your task. Why don't you tell me your name, and we find a way to solve this? Without anyone getting hurt?"

@Chevi

• Haha 1

"Maybe I should, but it's too late for that now, isn't it?" 

It really was. Now he just had to pay the price and learn the lesson. Felix was not sure about how to get either of those points across, though. The man looked like he could hold his own in a fight.

"But... you're not going to. You can't go home now either though. Your master will know you didn't complete your task. Why don't you tell me your name, and we find a way to solve this? Without anyone getting hurt?"

"You think you can talk your way out of this?" Felix frowned. He was still not sure the man was honorable in any way. Honorable men did not do what Alexius had done, even Felix knew that. "If you were an honorable man, you would not have dishonored the domina."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius arched a brow, of course he'd fight if he had to - but he would not let the other man beat him up willingly. He would put up a fight. And just the fact that he managed to wrestle free in the first round told him, that he might be able to again. The other man was not as used to fighting as Alexius was. He would win. And then the whole thing wouldn't have mattered at all. His attacker claimed he was no honorable man.

"I said, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to touch her! It's not like she told me!" His hands were clean, sort of anyway! "I can't go and ask everyone I bed if it would be alright that I do. That's not how it works." He rolled his eyes. That's definitely not how flirting worked! But the other was serious about this? Alexius lifted his chin, "Do you really want to fight me? Really?"

@Chevi 

• Haha 1

"I said, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to touch her! It's not like she told me! I can't go and ask everyone I bed if it would be alright that I do. That's not how it works."

Felix was not exactly a virgin, but his experience was limited, especially when it came to people out of his league. Which was... basically everyone who was not a slave. Alexius was a freedman, from what he knew, but he still should have at least assumed that some women were not to be seduced. So, he was either that dumb, or that cocky. And Felix couldn't even imagine what kind of situation he had been in that these questions did not come up.

"Do you really want to fight me? Really?"

Felix hesitated. No, he did not want to fight. He wasn't even sure he could win. But he also didn't really have a choice.

"Not really. But I was ordered to. And if it's not me, dominus will send someone else."

@Atrice

• Like 1

The girl had wanted him and how was he to say no, when she made such eyes at him? And wanted to meet him again, after their day at the market... and then they did and spent quite a good time together. She hadn't exactly seemed inexperienced either. Which was an indication to him honestly, that maybe it wasn't wrong to bed her. But apparently, now Alexius was going to get in trouble for it. Why not someone else? And why him? He just gave into his and her desires! And it was good, it was so good... 

His attacker didn't seem to get it though and just kept saying he'd been ordered to do something to Alexius.

"And how is your master going to know that you got me?" Alexius then asked, "You weren't asked to... kill me, were you?" He hoped not! The guy seemed far too nice and inexperienced to kill someone! And that definitely wasn't going to happen. There had to be a way to solve it!

@Chevi

• Like 1

"And how is your master going to know that you got me?"

Indeed. Felix frowned. This would have been easier if the other man had not put up a fight. Or made a good point.

"You weren't asked to... kill me, were you?" 

"No." Felix shook his head. He was not sure he could have gone through with that. "But I am sure he will send someone to... see? If I have done my job?" He was frustrated how, folding his arms, the immediacy of the fight gone. "What do I know? I'm just a household slave!"

@Atrice

• Like 1

For a man, who claimed he was not very good with words, he seemed to be doing somewhat well in this conversation. But he didn't think about that. He just didn't want to hurt anyone if he could prevent it, if he didn't have to. And he really would hate to have to fight this guy, who didn't really seem to want to fight anyway. It wasn't like in the old days, when he was younger... and would almost pick fights, even at the taverns, because he enjoyed it. He still enjoyed a good brawl, a good fight, of course he did. But it was different now. 

Although he wondered why the other was so persistent on the whole thing, and hoped the attacker had not been sent to kill him. But he had not. The other shook his head, said his master was sure to send someone to see if the guy did his job. The poor guy folded his arms and Alexius couldn't help but smile. He was kind of cute, really. Handsome and cute. 

"Your master should have known better than sending a household slave to do his dirty work." Alexius said, "You know what... actually..." He paused, barely believing himself to suggest this, but it might work... "Why don't you punch me? Just once? Then you've done it. And we can move on and I won't have to do anything to your pretty face." He said with a grin, "What was your name again?" 

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Your master should have known better than sending a household slave to do his dirty work."

He was not wrong. Felix rarely ever pondered his place in life, but this was one of the occasions that made him resent being a slave. Just because he was strong and well-build didn't make him a brute.

"You know what... actually... Why don't you punch me? Just once? Then you've done it. And we can move on and I won't have to do anything to your pretty face."

Felix blinked. This man had some nerve. Saying things like that, in the middle of a very serious situation.

"What was your name again?" 

"Felix." he grumbled, glaring at him. "And your plan wouldn't work. The dominus would never be satisfied with a punch. Even if I break your nose."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius carefully tried to suggest, that the other man should just punch him and get it over and done with... so they could move on from this conversation, which was obviously not really going anywhere anyway. Alexius didn't want to accept a beating without fighting back. The other man didn't want to beat him up at all. It was just stupid, really, all of it. And for stupid reasons too. Of course he hoped the young girl had not been treated too poorly by her family, because of what happened, but Alexius didn't think any of them deserved punishment. He'd never, to the day he died maybe, understand why anyone should be punished for sharing a bit of love and pleasure. Those were good things. They made people happy. And yet some demanded the right to decide when others should be happy.

It was so unfair. And unfair to poor Felix that he had to deal out such punishment, when he didn't want to. Alexius chuckled, "Oh I won't let you break it anyway." He said, touching his nose, "I like it the way it is. Felix, how are we going to solve this?" He sighed, ran a hand through his hair, "Maybe it's better that we forget about it, and you let your master send someone else to beat me up. But oh..." He paused, "Will you be punished for not doing as told?" That was fucked up too. He didn't want Felix to receive punishment because poor Felix didn't want to beat him up. Gods it was very fucked up, actually! 

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Oh I won't let you break it anyway. I like it the way it is. Felix, how are we going to solve this?"

Felix had no idea. If he could not at least cause some moderate damage to the man, and it got back to the dominus, it would be his own skin on the line. But clearly, Alexius was not going to let him do any damage at all.

"Maybe it's better that we forget about it, and you let your master send someone else to beat me up. But oh... Will you be punished for not doing as told?"

"Most likely." Felix nodded, frowning. If he went back, without getting the job done, he would definitely be punished. "So... I can try to beat you up anyway. Or you can beat me up, and I can tell him I lost. Same result either way..."

@Atrice

• Sad 1

Who would let someone beat them up, on purpose, unless they for some reason enjoyed getting hurt? Alexius wasn't such a person and he wasn't going to let it happen, not without a fight anyway. And he'd rather not fight Felix, who didn't appear to be a violent type at all. Plus he was very nice looking. Alexius would rather do the opposite than hurting Felix. He'd much rather make him feel real good. So he tried to figure out what to do.

The poor guy would of course be punished for not doing as told, he was a slave and that was his lot. Alexius hated that solution too. He ran both hands through his hair, feeling a bit frustrated. Fucking Romans and their fucking way of punishing slaves. He halfway wanted to suggest that Felix just never went back to his master again, but then if he was caught... it would be even worse for him. 

"So no matter what we do, you'll lose. It's fucked up, that's what it is." Alexius said with a heavy sigh. Then he looked around. They were still quite close to the popina. If they had a fight here, someone would see and someone might call the urban cohorts or the vigiles. Or they might intervene. There was one of these public gardens in Rome not far away though - funny how he always knew where they were... but he knew places where you could find a bit of privacy many places in Rome.

"Come." He then said and gestured for Felix to come with him. They'd have to fight. And maybe after, they could share a drink or something. It wouldn't be the first time he'd do that anyway.

@Chevi

• Like 1

"So no matter what we do, you'll lose. It's fucked up, that's what it is." 

Felix sighed. He was not arguing. But he also did not feel like openly railing against an order from his dominus. Even though it was fucked up. What was he going to do now? Fight the man? Allow himself to get beaten up?...

"Come." 

"Where are we going?" he asked, but he did tag along. At least he'd not lose sight of his target. Hopefully Alexius did not expect to turn him into a runaway slave...

@Atrice

• Like 1

One of them or both would get beaten up, most likely both. Alexius appeared to be more skilled at fighting than Felix, but Felix wasn't exactly ant-sized himself, so he could probably take a bit. Felix seemed unable to decide on what to do though, and Alexius would rather have a fight than send Felix home to be punished by his master. So that's just how it was. He led the way towards a public garden not far away. It was evening and mostly dark now, so they would have it to themselves.

Felix luckily chose to follow, "There's a place not far from here, where we can do something... like have a fight, since it can't be any other way." Alexius said, looking at Felix, "But don't break my nose? Then I won't break yours either." He added with a little smile, "Deal?" 

@Chevi

• Like 1

"This is going to be the strangest fight I've been in" Felix muttered, following Alexius. If he took him to some abandoned place in the Subura and then decided to beat the crap out of him, at least he would have a good excuse for not carrying out orders. If Alexius killed him... well. Felix was a slave. He was used to being under threat of death.

"Why do I feel like you are good at fighting" he added, frowning, as they made their way to wherever Alexius was headed.

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius chuckled when Felix called this a strange fight, "I guess you don't fight much." He replied, mostly upset with the Romans for forcing them to do this. He was not really having any ill feelings towards Felix or towards the fight itself. He enjoyed having a good fight and even more so the aftermath, if there was one. A good aftermath, of course. But he was thinking too far ahead. He didn't even know what Felix thought of him. 

And he smiled again when Felix frowned, "Because I am. Most of my live has been about fighting." He explained, "But... don't feel bad. You might learn a thing or two?" He suggested, looking at Felix, wanting to make him think of something else, "What do you do in your master's house?" 

@Chevi

• Haha 1

"I guess you don't fight much." 

Felix huffed. If he had ever had any advantage at all, it was completely blown now. Oh well. Alexius seemed more confident in his fighting skills anyway.

"Because I am. Most of my live has been about fighting. But... don't feel bad. You might learn a thing or two?" 

Oh, fuck.

The young domina had banged a professional fighter.

The old dominus decided to send a house slave against a professional fighter.

What the fuck.

"What do you do in your master's house?" 

"I just..." Felix sighed. What the hell, he was going to find out soon enough anyway. "I'm a house slave."

@Atrice

• Like 1