It's been a while...

Sara

Tertia Charis

output-onlinegiftools-5.gif

Mid June, 77AD

Charis didn't know what she was expecting as she sat on one of the wooden benches that littered the street at a bar opposite the gates to the Imperial Palace. It was full of tourists and families, excitedly chattering about the city or their plans and she felt more alone than ever as she nursed her weak, watered wine. One of the house slaves lurked behind her, taking in the shade, and Charis tried to ignore her as she strained to see people coming and going from the slave entrance, hoping to see and dreading seeing the blonde hair of her friend.

It had been six months since she'd last seen Cynane in the gardens when she'd told her her news and the loneliness had eaten her up in the interim. She hadn't realised that was what the hollow feeling that perennially sat on her chest was, not until that conversation with her husband in the domus. Of course, when she was a slave, they had seen each other rarely but she had always known her friend would be there if she needed her. She had always been a contast. Now...she had absolutely no idea. She wondered, briefly, if the letter she'd sent to Cynane's domina's secretary had even arrived, or if he'd even asked her. She'd said to meet at this bar - with Claudia's permission if she gave it - at the sun's highest point on the ides. That was now, today. And yet she sat here alone. She felt her mouth run dry again at the thought of being stood up, and she sipped the wine again and wrapped her fine palla around her all the tighter. 

TAG: @Atrice

Edited by Sara

Cynane

XL9nWz.gif

She'd been surprised when Claudia's secretary came to her, to inform her that they'd received a letter from Tertia Charis, inviting Cynane to see her. They knew of course, that Cynane had this friend and that she'd also gone to be present when Charis gave birth, so they knew who she was. And apparently it was alright that Cynane went to see her now too. But still it surprised her. It had been almost half a year since they parted ways last time. After Charis told her she'd been freed and was now the wife of the man who violated her and mistreated her in the past. Charis was free, but in Cynane's eyes, not entirely, not on those terms. And she had a hard time accepting it all, she'd said she time to let it all sink in. And Charis certainly gave her time. A lot of time. They had not seen each other since and now suddenly, this invitation came.

And while Charis' situation had changed a lot, Cynane was still the same. There was no change at all. She got dressed, there was no change in her outfit either. Except she didn't see a need to wear a leather vest on a warm day, so she left that at home. Grey breeches and a blue tunica with a belt and her purse. And her hair in a simple long braid down her back. She inhaled a breath and left the palace and inhaled another when she spied her well-dressed freedwoman friend by a table with a drink. 

She couldn't help but wonder, now she hadn't seen Charis in such a long time... what did she want? Silently she approached her friend, unsure of how to speak to her or how to begin. Words wasn't her strong side.

@Sara

Edited by Atrice
  • Sad 1

Tertia Charis

Charis almost lost her nerve, convinced Cynane wouldn't come. She promised herself she'd give it a little while longer, her friend wasn't even late yet, but as the minutes ticked past she found her resolve faltering and that cloud of loneliness drawing down on her like a storm. And then as her fingers fiddled with the stem of the wooden wine cup, her eyes searching the gates, she saw Cynane and her heart stuttered. She looked the same - as beautiful, powerful as she always had done. Seeing her after so many months brought the threat of tears to her eyes but she managed to drive them away. That aching hole of loneliness felt more gaping than ever as Cynane drew near silently. 

"I..." Charis hesitated, awkward, unsure of what to do. She quickly pulled out a little bag and pushed it across the table, switching to their native tongue although after months without using it, it was awkward at first; "Honey cakes...to share." She swallowed, "If you'd like to..." She exhaled deeply. Why was she so fucking awkward? Cynane had been her friend, her only friend really who she felt comfortable with doing or saying anything. But the chasm between them now felt endless. "I missed you..." She choked, "Thank you for coming." 

• Sad 1

Cynane

XL9nWz.gif

Cynane had said to Charis last time they saw each other, that she needed time. But was it enough time and would it ever be the same with her friend? They were so different. Lived very different lives in Rome. Both came here as slaves, but their paths here had nothing in common. Cynane had been a gladiatrix and was now bodyguard to a princess. Charis became a slave to a cruel man, had a child, was then freed, but forced to call said man her husband. And she did so willingly. Had it really been enough time for Cynane to let all that sink in? She suddenly wasn't sure. But Charis wished to see her and how could she refuse her friend? So she approached Charis, who seemed unsure of what to do too. Why did it have to come to this? To be like this? Fucking Romans. Really! 

Charis then said she'd brought honey cakes for them, just like in the old days. As if it was. Cynane sat down opposite Charis, fiddled with the cloth bag to open it, to have something to do. She looked up when Charis said she missed her. Cynane sighed by the words. She'd missed Charis too. But she wasn't sure how to deal with the new friendship, the friendship that used to be between two slaves and now was between a slave and a freedwoman.

"Of course I came." She said and then it struck her again. Why did Charis as her here? Did she get in trouble? Were there problems at home? Was that why? "Is everything alright?" 

@Sara

• Like 1

Tertia Charis

Of course I came. Charis gulped down some nerves. Of course she did, she's your friend, how could you think so poorly of her that she wouldn't show? Although she didn't say she missed you...Her thoughts started to ramble as her fingers fiddled with both the edge of her palla and the wine cup in front of her. She wanted to get Cynane a drink too, but didn't want to be seen to be ordering slaves around, that didn't feel right. Then again, none of this seemed right. 

"Yes...yes! Everything is fine." She answered too quickly, fumbling over the words. She exhaled a deep breath, trying to gather her wits and her words. Cynane was her friend - they'd been through so much, often together. She deserved the Erea that spoke plainly, was pragmatic...not this awkward, shy, uncomfortable young freedwoman. "Tertius wants to have dinner with you." she grimaced and then a ghost of a smile flitted onto her lips. "Or rather I...said I was lonely, and wanted to see you and have dinner and he invited himself. And won't be moved." She sighed again, the heaviness of the sound carrying across the distance between them. "I..." she grimaced, "Feel fucking awkward, Cinnia." there, that was better, she knew her friend valued honesty. 

• Like 1

Cynane

XL9nWz.gif

Cynane felt strange, unsure of what to do and say. It had been such a long time, many months and Charis had changed. She'd been free at least half a year by now, she had a husband, a child... she didn't need to come and see Cynane. And that made Cynane worry of course, wonder why Charis wished to see her. But her friend said everything was fine. Was it though? But then she began explaining, rather quickly, that Tertius wanted to have dinner with Cynane. Her eyes widened? Why would he want that? If he thought he could persuade her into liking him, he would have to first undo everything he'd done to Charis. And there was no going back. You could not undo what you'd done.

Charis went on though. It was her, who wanted the dinner, and her husband or whatever he was, invited himself. Charis didn't seem to like it and Cynane agreed. It couldn't be easy for her, she knew that. She reached out across the table for Charis hand, "It is awkward, isn't it?" She said with her own sigh, "Do you want me to come? To have dinner with you... and him? You know I don't..." I don't like him, she thought to herself. But he was Charis' husband now. She was forced to like him, whether she wanted to or not. Forced to pretend... "Do you think it's a good idea?" It wasn't that she didn't want to have dinner with Charis, but Tertius... she did not enjoy the idea.

@Sara

• Like 1

Tertia Charis

She gasped and offered Cynane a weak smile as she gripped her hand. She squeezed it firmly, savouring the connection of her friend. "Really fucking awkward." She agreed with a weak laugh and a shake of her head as her spare hand wrapped her palla around her shoulders. 

"I don't want to put you through it..." She admitted. "I wanted it to be a dinner...just for us two but he...presumed he would be there and I tried to say he shouldn't but..." She trailed off weakly. She couldn't say no to Tertius, even now as a free woman she didn't know how. He still controlled every aspect of her life although now there was a facade of freedom in front of it, of wealth. It's what caused the chasm between her and the blonde sat opposite her, that and the fact Cynane saw right through that facade, saw how much Charis was still under his thumb and...stayed with him despite it. 

"I think it's a terrible idea..." she murmured, dropping her eyes to stare at  their intertwined hands instead. "But he expects you...I...don't know what excuse I could give that wouldn't get you into trouble." She bit her lip. "I'm sorry...I'm sorry I'm coming to you with this, the first thing, after so many months..." She raised her spare hand to wipe at her watery eyes. "I missed you so much and...and..." there was nothing else to say.

• Sad 1

Cynane

XL9nWz.gif

Charis said it like it was. That this was really fucking awkward. Cynane nodded quietly. She spoke when she needed to, and only did so, once Charis had finished explaining about the dinner with them and her husband. Charis admitted she didn't want to make Cynane go through it, but Tertius had apparently just presumed he would be there - fucking Romans and their need for control over everything... and fucking Tertius and his need for control over Charis - and now he had to be there. Charis didn't like the idea, but her husband expected Cynane to come.

Cynane brushed Charis' hand with her thumb, when Charis seemed to be on the verge of tears, "I'm here now." She replied softly, she hated seeing her friend upset. And it wasn't even Charis' fault she was upset, nor was it Cynane. It was Charis' fucking husband.

"It seems I'll have to come then. I don't know why he wants to be there, I don't think he likes... me..." She trailed off as a memory came to mind and she rolled her eyes with a sigh, "Last time I was in that house, was when Peregrinus was born I think? Do you know what he said to me, when he met me? He didn't want us to talk in our own tongue in his house." She let out a laugh, "It all makes sense now. He thinks I'm a bad influence on you. Am I?" Cynane smirked, kind of liking that idea. Although it dawned on her, that if she came to that dinner, he'd like her even less afterwards. And that wasn't good. Then she'd never get to see Charis again. What a pickle! 

"I need a drink..." She waved her hand at a barmaid, who recognized her and knew what she wanted. They were close to the palace, it wasn't the first time Cynane had come here. It was the first time with Charis. 

@Sara

• Like 1

Tertia Charis

I'm here now. 

She was and Charis gave a small choked laugh, grateful for that. If Cynane had just not turned up it would have signalled some irrevocable breaking down of their relationship. At least now there was hope...even if the concept was alien to her. She couldn't remember the last time she'd dared hope - certainly not since her girlhood. Life was painful and hard and Charis had always had a good head on her shoulders, was always pragmatic rather than filled with dreams. Now, however, she felt that fluttering of hope.  

Charis stayed quiet though, hand still gripping hers, as Cynane spoke. She shook her head and smiled softly; "You're not a bad influence. You weren't the one that suggested we get drunk in the gardens that day with Helion." She chuckled with a vague grimace at the memory. She blamed the blonde whore, but she was beginning to release whether he'd told Tertius or not what she'd said, she would have likely ended up in his bed all the same. It just might have taken longer. "He said that?" She sipped her wine, "That night? Peregrinus' birth? That you're a bad influence?" She asked and shook her head, her smile small and conspiratorial; "He...won't ever know that the first words my son heard were in our tongue." She chuckled and then nodded as the barmaid hurried away to fetch Cynane a drink. "We...just have to...get through the dinner." She grimaced. "I...am sorry." She heaved a sigh, "That you have to come." 

• Like 1