Science and beauty

Chevi

March 75CE

Spring was taking its first tentative steps, even inside the walls of the City. The sun was warm, people went about their business with a spring in their step, and Septima Minor had time off her studies to go and do what she liked to do best: observe things. With a wax tablet under her arm and a stylus tucked behind her ear, she wandered the Gardens of Sullust. It was a nice walk, and she was definitely not alone in enjoying the spring sunshine - but she was not purely here for the aesthetic beauty of the gardens.

There were many things to observe in the springtime. Birds building nests, insects waking up, plants unfurling leaves and flowers. All pretty in a springtime picture, but also all mysterious and exciting. Today, Septima was on the hunt for a rare springtime phenomenon mentioned by many old authors: morning dew turning into caterpillars. 

In a nice half shaded spot by some bushes she found some promising leaves. They were not anything as mundane as radishes, but maybe other plants could produce life out of dew as well? Kneeling down, Septima pushed her nose close to some dew drops on the leaves, watching intently, hoping to see the moments they turned into a living being. She must have been a strange sight, on her hands and knees among the plants...

@Atrice

• Like 1

Lexus was not here to enjoy the lovely spring weather on this day. It was barely half a year since his mother passed away, but after that time, his life had been turned upside down. In just a week, so much had happened and he could not keep up and he still felt at a loss sometimes. He had just met his father. Then his mother had been attacked in the streets and died not long after. Luckily he had a job and had been offered a place to stay too, at Oriana's house. It was very lucky, for else he would be living alone in the insula he used to share with his mother. Instead now he had a room at Oriana's house, where his father also lived, but he had searched for his father all of his life and now that he was there... he still did not know what to feel or think about it. They spoke, of course, and Alexius seemed warm and friendly and kind and so thrilled to have a son. He gave Lexus money and offered teaching him things and had been so upset when Lexus told him how his mother died. Alexius had wanted to go and find the bandits and kill them! Lexus had been kind of taken aback at his father's anger, he had not expected that.

There were so many things he didn't expect. So he had to go and think about it. In his free time, he still took walks in Rome and thought about everything and nothing and today, his feet took him to the Gardens of Sullust. A beautiful place, if you cared to think about it and look at it. All he wanted was to walk and think though, and not about beauty, but about... all that had happened. His father had an affair with Oriana, he knew that now, but he also knew that his father still went out, maybe to meet others. Alexius was not what Lexus had thought he would be. 

He thought about his father as he turned down a path and noticed a young lady off to the side, kneeling among the plants and he stopped, looking at her. It was as if she was looking for something and he looked around, couldn't see anyone else... and it kind of worried him seeing her there, for some reason. She could be attacked easily, she would not see it coming... "Excuse me... is everything alright?" 

@Chevi

• Like 1

The dew drops showed no inclination to turn into anything but vapor. Maybe she had not been waiting long enough. Septima shifted into a more comfortable position, taking some notes with one hand. Maybe the leaves really were important? Maybe it was too early in the spring, or too late in the day? Her thoughts were much more exciting than what was happening in front of her eyes at the moment. She got so lost in her imagination that she didn't even notice someone stopped close by.

"Excuse me... is everything alright?" 

Septima looked, up, suddenly aware how she might have looked on her hands and knees, poking around in the garden shrubbery.

"Huh?... Oh yes. Yes, I'm fine. Just... looking at some... things."

@Atrice

• Like 1

It really did look strange, with a young woman kneeling there on the ground and there was plenty of cause to wonder why... and to worry for her. Lexus hadn't spent a lot of time with any kind of friends lately, he had been so caught up in his own thinking and had not had the desire to speak to others much. Not even Phaedo was there, at the brothel he had apparently been sold or something. But he could not help but worry about the lady on the ground there, and her safety. Not that Lexus could do much, but his mother had been attacked and died from it, so women did have to be careful in Rome!

She said she was fine and just looking at some things. Lexus glanced around, he didn't like leaving her. Not that he could fight, should anything happen... maybe he should ask his father to teach him some, after all. Instead of trying to honor his mother's wishes and not fight... 

"Alright, just... checking, you can never be too sure. Are you here alone?" Lexus then wondered, he was just being concerned.

@Chevi

• Like 1

The young man looked concerned. At least he was not one of those young Roman men who liked to whistle and grin and make comments when they thought they could get away with it. Thalia liked to flirt with them, but they always made Clio feel awkward. If they had seen her on her hands and knees in the dirt, they might have made a day of teasing her about it. Clio blushed, tucking some loose hair behind her hear.

"Alright, just... checking, you can never be too sure. Are you here alone?"

"Yes." she nodded hesitantly "Are you?... Do you work in the gardens? I didn't mean to cause trouble. I'm just making some observations."

@Atrice

• Like 1

If he looked concerned, it's because he was. Lexus was not like most young Roman men, at least not like those in Rome itself, because he did not grow up here and did not really have any close friends to fool around with like that. Travelling around often in his childhood had made him openminded, curious and friendly, but many close friends he did not have. Still though, with his history and especially the most recent one, he could only be worried about a young woman on her knees and alone. For some reason though, she blushed and tucked hair behind her ear, then said she was alone and wondered if he worked in the garden.

"Oh there's no trouble." Lexus assured her, holding up a hand to gesture that there was nothing wrong, "I am here alone... but I don't work here." Lexus explained, "I do work in a garden though... have done since October last year, actually. I'm still just learning everything, but it is interesting, I think. I do like this sort of work. What are you making observations about?" Lexus said and then realized what he was doing, again.. rambling... "Not that I'm trying to be nosy, if you'd rather I left, I will." 

@Chevi

• Like 1

Septima was not sure how people took to someone making observations in the public gardens. Rome had its fair share of wandering poets and orators and philosophers, but a young woman doing something like that was still a bit of a spectacle. And even though the gardens were public, gossip got around very fast about these kinds of places. Especially if she happened to be kneeling in some kind of a flower bed someone else was responsible for.

"Oh there's no trouble. I am here alone... but I don't work here.... I do work in a garden though... have done since October last year, actually. I'm still just learning everything, but it is interesting, I think. I do like this sort of work."

So, he did work in a garden... just not this one? Septima sat on her heels, smoothing down her dress. If he was not responsible for this place, she could not be in too much trouble. 

"What are you making observations about?... Not that I'm trying to be nosy, if you'd rather I left, I will." 

"No, it's... um." Septima blushed a little "I was reading this things, about caterpillars, born from drops of dew under the right conditions. I was trying to see it happen."

@Atrice

• Like 1

For some reason, the young woman didn't get up from where she sat kneeling. Lexus thought about how his mother would probably have told her to get up, or she would ruin her pretty dress. His mother had been a seamstress and had mended many wealthy ladies dresses. But he said nothing and instead rambled about gardens and work, while she sat more up and smoothed her dress while watching him. Then he realized how he was rambling and asked if he ought to leave. But she said he didn't have to and explained what she was looking for. 

Lexus wrinkled his nose... "You want to find caterpillars... I never heard about them being born from dew." He said thoughtfully, "But the slave I'm learning from is pretty annoyed by them. He says they prefer eating the most important flowers." Lexus looked around, "So maybe if you find some pretty flowers..." Although it was still early spring, "If there's a sunny spot with shelther, like by a South-turned wall or pillar or something..." He wondered if there was such a place here, but there must be. 

Then he sighed as he realized something, "You know, the dew is maybe gone now... it's most wet early in the mornings..." What he knew about gardens was what was supposed to be there and what was not. And which time of the day was best for working. His hands got wet early in the morning, that's why he knew. He hoped he did not disappoint her.

@Chevi

• Like 1

The young man made a face that signaled that he did not really believe much of what Septima was saying about her caterpillar observations. He would not have been the first one. Even her grandfather had trouble sometimes understanding her interest in the minute details of nature, and strangers often found it... well, strange.

"You want to find caterpillars... I never heard about them being born from dew. But the slave I'm learning from is pretty annoyed by them. He says they prefer eating the most important flowers."

Septima sighed. Of course a gardener would be more interested in the flowers.

"So maybe if you find some pretty flowers... If there's a sunny spot with shelther, like by a South-turned wall or pillar or something... You know, the dew is maybe gone now... it's most wet early in the mornings..."

Septima finally picked herself up and out from the greenery, brushing her dress. He was probably right. Not fully, but the dew did seem to be evaporating, and no caterpillars were in sight. 

"I read an author that claimed it happens on radish leaves. But another source said radish keeps caterpillars away, and well, with the number of different caterpillars there are, I thought maybe they are also born on different plants... But you are probably right. This might not be the best time to look for them..."

@Atrice

• Like 1

He did not find it strange, that she had an interest in nature... he had a growing interest, ever since he began working in Oriana's garden. Before, he knew nothing about it, but Lexus was curious and eager to learn and he did all he could to remember everything. He told the young lady what he knew about catarpillars and saw that she sighed. He hoped he'd not upset or offended her, by just telling her what he knew. Of course, she might know more, you never knew. He knew that while some thought that pretty girls were not that bright, it wasn't true. They could be very intelligent, just like boys. And she was pretty and definitely did not seem stupid. He tried making it better by suggesting where the catarpillars might be, but then thought the dew had gone now.

She stood and brushed her dress, then began talking about the catarpillars and how to find them. She seemed to talk a lot too, like he did. Then at least he was not alone.

"I hope I've not let you down." Lexus said, "I didn't mean to. I can help you look, if you'd like. It's not like catarpillars disappear because dew does. They could be hiding." He suggested and gave her a shy smile, "Do you want me to help you?" 

@Chevi

• Like 1

Septima wondered if she sounded foolish to the boy. Not many girls of nobility went crawling around in gardens, talking about caterpillars and insects and nature, rather than doing... more womanly things. And there was really no practical reason for her to hunt for the little creatures. She just found the whole thing fascinating. But that didn't mean others did too. She knew that from experience.

"I hope I've not let you down. I didn't mean to. I can help you look, if you'd like. It's not like catarpillars disappear because dew does. They could be hiding. Do you want me to help you?" 

Septima considered the question for a moment. Hunting for caterpillars did not guarantee she'd see the moment of transformation from dew, but at least she could get an idea of what kinds lived in the gardens, and on what plants, and maybe come back for the rest later. Also, it was kind of the young man to offer. He worked in a garden, so he could be of actual help. Septima smiled a little awkwardly, and nodded.

"We could go look for some, yes. If you have the time?... My name is Septima Minor. What's yours?"

@Atrice

Lexus didn't consider that the girl could be foolish at all. He was probably as foolish as she was, if it came to that. He didn't know a lot of girls of nobility and the few he knew, he did not know so well. He assumed the girl was wealthier than he - most people were, he imagined - but that didn't matter much to Lexus. It was nice to have someone to talk to though, even if it was an odd topic. He felt he might have disappointed her though and suggested to help her look for the catarpillars. She was quiet for a moment, then gave him a smile and nodded, agreeing to go look for them with him. She then also introduced herself.

"Lexus Naevius Gineverus. But you can just call me Lexus, that's easiest. Septima, that's a very pretty name too." He said, although then recalling that it was almost certain that it had not been picked especially for her. Her father was probably called Septimus. Just like his had been Lexus, and he had been named after his mother and her freedwoman name. His mother who wasn't there anymore. His father was. He could be named after him, he supposed. That would be more correct. But... would Lexus Antonius Alexius sound better? It didn't, he thought. His name was fine as it was. Right, Septima had asked him one more question! He hoped he hadn't gone quiet and thoughtful for too long!

"I do have the time, I have some time off now. Where should we begin?" He looked around where they stood. It was getting warmer now, so if he knew catarpillars (the little he did know so far) it was that they might be hiding in shade, maybe under large plants and their leafs. 

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Lexus Naevius Gineverus. But you can just call me Lexus, that's easiest. Septima, that's a very pretty name too." 

"Thank you" Septima blushed a little at the compliment. She knew that her name was nothing special; she shared it with her sister, for one, with only Major and Minor to distinguish them, and it was also something handed down from her father. But it was nice of Lexus to compliment her. Septima did not spend much time in the company of young men, certainly didn't flirt as easily as her sister did, so compliments were not something she was used to. "It is nice to meet you, Lexus."

"I do have the time, I have some time off now. Where should we begin?"

Spetima glanced around. "You... probably know gardens better than I do. You said caterpillars might go into hiding? Shall we look under some of the shadowy places by the flowerbeds maybe?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

She thanked him for his compliment, although he barely considered it was a compliment until she blushed. He had just stated his opinion, that's all, and he tended to say what was on his mind, so there it was. He smiled at her though, and then he had introduced himself too and she said it was nice to meet him. His smile grew a little wider, "It's very nice to meet you too, Septima." At least she made him smile. Not that he had not smiled since his mother died, but rarely did it last long and this was a welcome change, he thought to himself. Septima was good company so far! 

He told her that he did have the time to help her with her little project and wondered where to begin. Septima recalled some of what he told about catarpillars and suggested shadowy places. Lexus nodded, "Let's do that. There's a nicer area not so far from here." He explained and motioned for her to come with him. On the short walk however, he came to think about this whole odd situation and of course he was curious... "Do you often go looking for catarpillars and stuff like that? I think most people would think it a little bit... strange. Not that I think you're strange! You're very nice and obviously interested in learning about the world. It's just I never met anyone doing what you're doing before, so, that's why I'm curious. I hope you don't mind." Stop talking, Lexus, she will have forgotten the question once you're done talking and making a fool of yourself. He stopped talking and looked at her, hoping she would not turn on her heel and walk away just because his mouth turned into a fountain of words if he forgot to think about it.

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Let's do that. There's a nicer area not so far from here."

Septima nodded and followed the young man. If she had had a chaperone with her, they probably would have rebelled against the idea of walking off with a stranger, but Lexus seemed trustworthy, and the gardens were a public place. She did not feel like she was doing anything shameful, hunting around for insects.

"Do you often go looking for catarpillars and stuff like that? I think most people would think it a little bit... strange. Not that I think you're strange! You're very nice and obviously interested in learning about the world. It's just I never met anyone doing what you're doing before, so, that's why I'm curious. I hope you don't mind."

He looked at her a little sheepishly, and Septima chuckled at his questions. He stumbled over his words a bit, which meant he was probably nervous around her; she was not sure whether it was because of her station, or because she was a girl, but at least he was not too confident, which in turn would have made her feel awkward.

"Whenever I can. I know it's not usual for a daughter of nobility to do these things but... I'm just curious. And my grandfather, he writes things, and... I read a lot. But reading is one thing, and seeing things for yourself is another. And I'm very interested in nature, and how things come to be. I would like to see bigger and more interesting things one day too, like... whales, and... griffins, but for now, caterpillars are easier to come by. And they are still pretty interesting. I think."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Lexus did not consider that such a fine lady should have had a chaperone - she seemed nice enough, all that he was worried about was her safety, but not from him, obviously. But he would talk to her and see if they could find any of those catarpillars and that was fine. He was curious about her though, so began talking and then - as so often before - his mind wandered and his mouth did the same, with the words and before he knew it, he'd given her a too long speech. Septima just chuckled though and then she said she did these things whenever she could, although it was unusual for a lady like her. She spoke of her grandfather and reading and how she wanted to see bigger and even more interesting things. 

He was just about to suggest that you could sometimes see big things in the arena, but there were definitely no whales and also no griffins. 

"It sounds like there's a lot you want to do. And nature is a good interest, I think. I had never considered becoming a gardener, but now I'm learning and it is interesting. You never know where life takes you. Sometimes it becomes so... unexpected." He said and considered all that had happened since he came to Rome. He became best friends with a prostitute, he met his father, but then his mother died and he also became a gardener for a fine and nice lady. And now he was chatting to this other fine lady. So much happened. He sighed, but then shook his head at himself and looked up - then smiled.

"There's a flowerbed if you wanted one." He said with a grin, pointing at a pretty flowerbed of spring flowers, right in front of a statue of a dying gaul. Lexus paused however, looking at the statue, wondering why on Earth you'd make that into a statue.

@Chevi

Dying Gaul - wikipedia page

• Like 1

She was still half expecting the young man to laugh at her interests, or at least become baffled. Men sometimes did, when she talked about the same topics her grandfather worked on. What was natural from a male scholar was seen as a quirk in a young woman. But Lexus was very friendly so far, and not at all judgmental. 

"It sounds like there's a lot you want to do. And nature is a good interest, I think. I had never considered becoming a gardener, but now I'm learning and it is interesting. You never know where life takes you. Sometimes it becomes so... unexpected." 

"So, what did you want to do, before you became a gardener?" she ventured as they approached the colorful flower bed with the statue in the middle. It was an odd choice for a decorative statue for sure, a dying man in the middle of a sea of flowers. She vaguely remembered reading about how it was from the spoils of some war or another.

Septima carefully stepped over the decorative stones along the edge of the flowerbed and found a place to crouch down, observing leaves and petals up close.

@Atrice

• Like 1

Lexus could hardly be judgmental towards anyone, with the life he had lived so far and with whom his parents were. Or had been. Besides, he just enjoyed meeting people and Septima here was definitely good enough to talk to. Anyone were, really, but he did not have anyone he truly trusted at the moment. His father, of course, he ought to trust him, but he still did not know him that well. Besides, it was nice to talk to someone who didn't know what had happened and wouldn't feel sorry for him the moment they saw him. He talked about how unexpected life could be and how he never knew he'd be a gardener, and Septima then wondered what he wanted to do before. Lexus fell silent a little bit.

"I'm maybe not sure, now I think about it. I would love to learn properly how to read and write and maybe do something... important, sometime. Or I could join the military, but I don't know if I have the skills. But for now, I am learning about gardens." He explained, watching her as she also took in the statue in front of them, but then she stepped into the flowerbed and simply crouched down to observe laves and petals.

"Any catarpillars here?" Lexus wondered, "Or anything else that's interesting?" He made sure to stay on the path, also to keep a lookout. Maybe not everyone would like that she had stepped over the stones and was in the flowerbed. So he could tell her to get out, if someone came.

@Chevi

• Like 1

It occurred to Septima that it may have been insensitive to ask about Lexus' prospects. Maybe what he wanted to do was not attainable to him. He wasn't a slave, but that didn't mean he wasn't in some position where gardening was the best he could hope for. Spetima mentally chided herself for the question.

"I'm maybe not sure, now I think about it. I would love to learn properly how to read and write and maybe do something... important, sometime. Or I could join the military, but I don't know if I have the skills. But for now, I am learning about gardens."

Reading and writing. It was natural to Clio, but she had been an exception, compared to many other people in Rome. She only had vague ideas about what it took to succeed in the military. Lexus seemed very young to go into battle... "Gardens are fascinating" she noted lightly as she crouched down among the flowers. Lexus didn't follow her; she was not sure whether he was trying to keep watch, or simply did not see the point.

"Any catarpillars here? Or anything else that's interesting?"

"Some rose beetles" Clio observed with a smile, noting the early visitors to the gardens "Oh, a scarab! They must have put out fresh dung." she noted, crouching down to watch the beetle push a small ball along. "You know, in Aegyptus they are sacred to the Sun..."

@Atrice

• Like 1

It did not occur to Lexus, that Septima could have been insensitive when she asked about what he hoped for his future. What he wanted with life. Lexus simply told her the truth, or some of it, because he did not really have many deep thoughts on it. He probably should have, at his age. Sometimes he thought it could be fun to have been brought up in Greece and found a real tutor, going to a school with a clever mentor with a bunch of other young men. But he wasn’t brought up in Greece. He was just Roman.

Septima didn’t comment much on it, other than gardens being fascinating and then she proceeded to just walk in and crouch among the flowers. Lexus stayed behind, keeping watch and of course wondering if she found anything.

Rose beetles, she said, and he frowned. The gardener had told him about those. You did not want rose beetles in your garden! Then she went on about scarabs and how they were sacred in Aegyptus. Lexus nodded.

“I’ve heard about that, I think. I don’t know why though…” He said, thinking, “It sounds like you do, Septima?” She seemed very clever, he thought to himself. Pretty and clever. And wealthy. He could never hope for all that.

@Chevi

• Like 1

“I’ve heard about that, I think. I don’t know why though… It sounds like you do, Septima?”

Spetima knelt down to get a better angle as she watched the scarab slowly work its way along the flower bed, rolling the ball of manure along. She noted Lexus question in the background, though.

"I do " she admitted, as if it had been obvious "Sol, or Ra as they call him, the Sun, is rolled along by a scarab in the sky. The beetle is a symbol of time and rebirth. The pharaohs of old were buried with scarab amulets." she mused about the distant world of the gods she worshiped "I wish I could go to Egypt one day. I'm a follower of Isis, but I have never been there. Look, Lexus! This beetle is doing a really great job..."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Septima kept looking at the different insects or whatever they were, in the flowerbed, while Lexus stood as a lookout. So far they were all alone though. He was glad he was here to accompany her though, so she was not alone, although if a thug came to do something, he didn't know what he'd do. Maybe he should talk to his father about lessons in how to fight, just the basics... even if his mother would have been against it. But she wasn't here anymore.

He paid attention to Septima, who of course knew about scarabs and she explained more about why they were sacred to the sun and a symbol of time and rebirth. She then said she would want to go to Egypt one day, and she followed Isis. But then was distracted by the beetle again.

"I suppose..." He said, crouching down on the path close to the flowerbed to try and get a better look, "Do you believe in rebirth then? Like, are people reborn? I don't know if I follow anything... I just... am." He added, finding it hard to put words on his thoughts. Septima seemed good at it. She had everything, it seemed. She was very pretty, she knew things and she was friendly. 

@Chevi

• Like 1

"I suppose... Do you believe in rebirth then? Like, are people reborn? I don't know if I follow anything... I just... am."

Septima looked up, seeing Lexus crouch down next to her, and gave him a curious look. One didn't often meet someone in Rome who was not paying at least lip service to some deity or another. It was dangerous not to follow anyone; gods were jealous and easily offended. It came with their power. He did seem curious though, as if he would believe in something if he knew where to look. Like with the insects.

"Reborn?... I suppose, in a way. Followers of Isis send their eternal souls to her where she rules in the life after death. Her husband, Osiris, is King of the Underworld. So it's... life, but in a different place?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

He didn't know if his mother had followed any particular gods, but she did sometimes mention Fortuna of course, but which Roman did not? It had never been a big deal though, other than partaking in the festivals just like anyone else. He supposed they were quite normal for Romans, but he didn't know if it was true. He had moved around a lot in his life and hadn't had a lot of schooling, so what he knew was something others had told him here and there. His father seemed to trust the Roman gods, even though he wasn't originally from here. Lexus though? He just lived, the best he could.

Septima knew things though and when he asked her about believing in rebirth,she said she did believe in it - but that souls were sent to the afterlife where Isis and Orisis ruled the underworld. 

"So kind of like Hades and... uhm... his wife?" He did know the name, he was sure of it, but it was lost to him right now, "I'm sorry, you seem to know a lot more about these things than me." He hoped he didn't appear too oblivious to her, it wasn't that often he got to spend so much time with a pretty and wealthy young lady. 

@Chevi

• Like 1

Maybe she had spoken too soon, or said too much. Septima sometimes got carried away when she was talking about things that interested her. She was still keeping her eyes on the scarab beetle, and now she had made Lexus watch it too, crouching by the flower bed. And now that had moved on to Isis.

"So kind of like Hades and... uhm... his wife?"

"Sort of." she nodded "But... better. More... alive. No shadows lingering, drinking the waters of Lethe and forgetting life. You get to... stay yourself."

"I'm sorry, you seem to know a lot more about these things than me." 

"I am sure you know a lot of things I don't know." she ventured. Thalia sometimes told her her talking made other people feel... less smart. She tried to cut back on that, which was why she often did not talk at all. "I just... read a lot."

@Atrice