Ovinia made a 'hmm' sound, but she listened and took in his opinion. "You're really a master of this, aren't you?" She gave him an amused look. A master of the art of love or...lust or desire, at least. She could take all the help she could get though, and wasn't going to turn down free advice. She swallowed and sighed, trying to distract herself with the image and women on the sands. 

"You do?" she gave him a curious look and then grinned broadly, eyes flashing. "Well...that's something to make my brothers jealous with. You'll have to introduce me to her." There she went again, making demands but...she never realised it was bad to. It was just how she had been raised - she asked for something and it was delivered. She didn't mean it to be difficult or cruel. "Such is the lot of women. All women." She chuckled and shook her head, craning her neck to see the action more clearly. "And the women...are they slaves as well? Like the male gladiators? Or women...of other professions...?" 

TAG: @Atrice

• Haha 2

He let out a little laugh when she called him a master, "Maybe to you I am." He said then. He supposed he was a master? He didn't think about it like that though, he just tried his best to live a life according to what was good for him. He wanted to enjoy life while he had it, wanted to get the best out of it, the best he could anyway. Anyway, he definitely knew more than her, and she asked questions and it had gone too far now to stop anyway. So why not give her all the answers no one else gave to her? Lexus never asked him such questions. He seemed to prefer not to. 

Something happened in the arena though and Ovinia asked about Thessala. Alexius had to tell her that he sparred with her and she grinned, said her brothers would be jealous. And then she'd like to meet her. "Sure, if you want to, we can do it after." He wondered what she'd say to a young woman like Ovinia. Laugh because she didn't know anything? Pity her? Try and be fierce with her? You never knew with Thessala, it all depended on her mood... like with most women, to be honest. They were an eternal mystery and he adored that about them too. It was part of their charm. Ovinia then asked more about the female gladiators.

"They are slaves, yes. Their main purpose is to fight for entertainment, as those." He nodded to the arena, but felt a need to elaborate, since she asked, "Often such slaves... both the women and the men... can be bought for a price, after. Not unlike prostitutes. It's not always a joy though." He'd been there, after all. And while he loved sex and all that, and did back then too, it wasn't enjoyable every time someone bought him just to have his body. Often it was good, but not always. They weren't all like lovely Gaia with the peaches.

@Sara

• Sad 1

Ovinia watched the women - muscled and powerful. It was quite a sight, even from the seats they were in. She saw the men around her practically salivating and she wrinkled her nose. They were...not especially feminine but she supposed she could see the appeal. They were beautiful in their own way. 

She listened to Alexius with a frown on her face, not following for the first few seconds but then in dawned on her and she sighed. She knew that was the lot of slaves; one of her house slaves when she was younger had fallen with child after months of being summoned into her fathers bedroom. It hadn't taken a genius to work out. She also saw the way her brothers, even Lucius, glanced at new purchases as they came into the house. She'd never really paid it much heed. She supposed that was cruel of her now sitting with a man who presumably endured such treatment. She bit at her lip. 

"But  they get the chance to earn their freedom, like you." She nudged him, trying to lighten the mood. "Right? It's not all bad, is it? Better than being a slave in the mines or the legions." Was that a naive way to look at it? Her slaves seemed happy enough, or at the very least they never complained. She didn't realise that of course they wouldn't complain. 

• Like 1

The fights had slowly begun, while they were talking about gladiatrices and slaves being taken advantage of by anyone who'd pay. Gladiators were prostitutes, but they were also more than that. Prostitutes who also fought for the same of entertainment. If they lived, they might get to entertain the free and wealthy Romans in other ways. Ovinia was quiet at first, after that, then pointed out that there was the chance for freedom, so it wasn't all bad. He gave her a look.

"No slave wants to work in the mines, you're right. But not all of these slaves here have the chance to earn freedom either." Alexius said, "The fights today, I don't think they're to the death. But sometimes they are. I'm free because I survived." He pointed out. There were many things she didn't know or probably just never considered before. But she knew what it was like to not be free, didn't she? She was a woman, after all. A Senator's daughter, even. She wasn't free at all. She was for now her father's property, more or less, and once she married, she'd belong to her husband, for better or for worse. 

"I always think... there are two choices in life. Live or die. I chose to live. I refused to die. Because then I'd never be free." He looked at her, concerned for how her life might turn out. She was so young and sweet and beautiful. He'd hate to see that ruined... "I hope you'll get the chance to make the same choice." 

@Sara

• Sad 1

She bit her lip, surveying the women that paraded around the arena as he spoke. Would they die in shackles? It was the order of things; Rome conquered and slaves flowed forth. Her own domus, or her fathers, was staffed with slaves from as far afield as Britannia, Mauretania and even Thracia. They had been people once - she knew that - people with families and lives but now they lived and served. If Rome - Gods forbid - were ever conquered, she would be in their place. But it was the order of things, and even as uncomfortable as it was, she wasn't going to go and try and change it. She was kind...enough to those she owned, or so she thought. That was enough, wasn't it?

She felt  him looking at her and she glanced left to meet his gaze as he spoke. A curious expression settled on her face. He had to live to be here, to survive. Her every whim was catered for, her every need accommodated. She had no idea what he meant and her frown spoke volumes. "I..." She opened her mouth to speak, but struggled to find the words, "I have choices, Alexius." She laid a hand on his shoulder to emphasis her point. "You were brave, and the crowds adored you or so my research tells me." She gave him a sly smile, "It's why you lived. I am living now. I don't need to fight for that, it's not the same. My choices are who I marry and where my summer villa will be and what dress I wear and which charity to give to." She chuckled, bemused that he should be comparing her at all. "Your concern is sweet, but you don't need to hope I'll have chances." She grinned broader, flipping her palla up around herself dramatically, "You're talking to the daughter of a Praetor, from a family with as many Consuls in our ranks as fingers I have. I have all the prospects and chances in the world." She chuckled, shaking her head in amused confusion, "Why do you look so worried?" 

Edited by Sara
  • Like 1

It wasn’t all easy for her, this thing with slaves and free people, was it? Maybe the pretty young noble lady never thought much about it before. But Alexius would give her nothing but the truth. Maybe she’d be a better mistress to her own slaves one day. More considerable. Not that it was his main goal with this, he just wanted to tell her things how they were. The more he spoke to her, the more he wanted to tell her more honest stories. From the real life with people outside of her safe home and her safe parties and what she went to. 

All this talk of freedom however made him think of her too. She was free. A free Roman, born as one, would probably die as one. But she was also a woman and his admiration of women went very far. So far that he thought it wasn’t fair to them, that society treated them like it did. They were much smarter than what some men gave them credit for. Ovinia didn’t seem to understand though, what he meant, when he spoke of how he hoped she could make the choice of life and death for herself too. Though he didn’t mean it the same way as what it meant for a slave. She could choose to live, really live… or she could be bound in a terrible marriage, if she was unlucky, and just give into it. And never live.

But she didn’t understand it, saw herself as a free woman who had choices, she didn’t need to fight for her life. She claimed she had so many chances.

“I just hope life will treat you well. Is it really your choice who you marry? And what parties you go to and what you’ll do with your life? You’re not thoughtless, Ovinia. You could do things. But I fear life may take you in a direction, where you’d die. Not like them.” He nodded to the arena, “But inside. And it would be such a pity. And a waste.” A waste of beauty and wit, in his opinion.

@Sara

• Sad 1

She stared at him, properly stared at him for a few moments of contemplative silence. He filled the gap that Lucius and Marcus Junius had left unsaid, and he said it much more plainly than either of them. She shifted in her seat, uncomfortable and cleared her throat, flicking her eyes back down to the sands. 

"That's very sweet," She offered trying to keep her voice light and airy, "Sweet you're so worried about me, I mean." She smoothed her fingers over the fine fabric of her chiton and rested them on her knees, trying to effect the image of the stately, composed Roman matron that she'd seen her mother and her sister-in-law play a hundred times. "But it's my duty and my life Alexius. It's not as if I have much of a choice, just as you didn't have a choice but to fight." She shrugged her shoulders lightly and then took a deep breath, shaking her head, "And I'm looking forward to it; marriage and children and running my home. I..." She was, wasn't she? Looking forward to it? She swallowed. "Although I'm interested to hear what you think I should do instead...?" 

• Like 1

She stared at him as if she’d never heard anyone say such things to her before. As if no one had ever been worried about her, like that. Her parents probably didn’t, they’d lived full lives as Roman citizens and they did what was expected of them. So why should it be any different for their daughter? But she had so many questions and she knew so little, and the more curious she became and the more she knew, the more he felt sorry for her. That she might not get to experience true desire or freedom.

Ovinia then shifted and looked at the sands deep down below them. Then said it was sweet that he was worried about her, as if it was no big deal. He could see how she tried to sit and appear composed and proper, but was that really her, what she was inside? It was a façade. As he told her, he’d known his fair share of noble ladies. And they could appear the sweetest charities in social life. But when alone with him? They were so different. In a good way.

She spoke of duties and how she didn’t have much of a choice and then she claimed she was looking forwards to it. But she trailed off… and then would hear his opinion.

“I know you don’t have much of a choice. That’s why I said what I said, before. That I hope you may one day get that same choice, as the gladiators do. To live or to die.” He began. This had suddenly turned very deep! And he was the one starting it!

“I just think… you know how they say young men need to run wild before they marry and settle down? I know you can’t decide. But I can wish it for you, can’t I? That you get to feel that too; life, I mean. Real life.” He smiled, “Freedom can be difficult and is definitely not always easy. But I’m glad I have it. And that I get to do what I want. I can go where I want and I can be with whom I want. And I can say no, if I don’t want them.” He chuckled, “Not that that happens very often!”

@Sara

• Like 1

She felt the hollowness that had filled her chest over the preceding weeks slowly grow larger. It was similar to what Lucius had suggested, and Marcus in his own - flirtatious - way.

She didn't like to be pitied, it sat uncomfortably on her shoulders, but the men in her life seemed determined to see her as some sort of victim; as if she didn't have all of the riches and the jewels and friends that she had. She supposed, though, she was bothered because she knew what he was saying was true. She was her fathers only daughter and the youngest of the lot; she had grown up seeing her brothers run riot through the house, start on their divergent careers, flirt shamelessly and tire out the kitchen slaves whilst she was left cloistered; spinning her wool, stitching her embroidery and practicing how to account with her mother. 

"Well," She said with a tight smile and a little shrug, "I'm glad you have such opportunities, and that you're happy." Jealousy was seeping into her blood, making her irritable. She tried her best to keep it at bay. "But you can wish all you like Alexius, and sometimes I might too, but it doesn't change anything for me. My life has been predetermined since I was a girl and that is the way of things." She tossed her long, dark hair over her shoulder and cupped her chin in her palm, glaring down at the sands. This trip was supposed to make her feel better - not make her feel like an uneducated prisoner! 

"Perhaps I should leave my family and be adopted as a fruit seller or a prostitute or a children's maid. Would you rather one of those lives for me?" 

• Like 1

Alexius didn’t know that he pitied her – he just wished she had a better life ahead of her, than what he imagined she had. Especially after all of her questions today. She knew little, but she was so curious and seemed so ready to experience life. And then her father, friendly as he might seem to Alexius, just wanted to tie her down in a marriage and you couldn’t be sure if the husband would be nice or not. To Romans, alliances and wealth often seemed to matter more than emotions. So he could wish or hope for a better life for her. Wish she had the chance to have it.

When she responded, there was a tight smile on her lips. She was not happy with what he’d said. Alexius wanted to kick himself for that. Wasn’t he the man, who sought so hard to put smiles on women’s face and distract them from their lives? And then he’d done the exact opposite with sweet Ovinia. Sometimes he should just not talk and just… do what he did best. But he couldn’t do that with her, or it didn’t seem she wanted that, with him anyway. She liked someone else, that was for certain.

She spoke of how nothing of what he said changed anything, because her life was predetermined. And then she tossed her hair over her shoulder in that feminine way and came with some very far out suggestions of what she could do instead.

“I wouldn’t. Although I do know a fruit seller and she seems content with her life.” Alexius pointed out, “I know what I wish won’t change a thing. But you know, now. That if you need support… I could be it.” He added with a smile and a moment later, his attention was torn from Ovinia, as there was a screech from the sands. He looked down, seeing Thessala there, bloody and victorious. The other gladiatrix wasn't dead. But she wasn't exactly standing either. The crowd went mad for her and Alexius cheered too.

“That’s Thessala… always memorable.” He said, grinning, “I guess that means the first round is over. Soon the actual gladiators will come. I don’t know who will appear today though, it should be interesting. When I fought, I was a murmillo, armed with just a gladius and a shield. And plenty of armor, of course, but it’s really the skills that matter.” Alexius was always happy to explain anything about gladiators and maybe now was a good time. Ovinia needed a break… “Are you hungry or thirsty, by the way?”

@Sara

• Like 1

Ovinia managed a quiet chuckle. Content with her life indeed; heckling passers by about her melons and peaches, if it was the same woman she was thinking of in the marketplace - middle aged and dowdy with a rag-tag band of children at her feet. No. That was not going to be her life; she was going to marry well, and have a brood of children and mind her home and stand on the arm of her husband as he was elected to...something important. That's what she'd do...wasn't it? She glanced sideways at him only for the quickest of seconds and nodded, her face dropping the tightly wound facade. "...Thank you. I appreciate it." Because the support she had right now was lacking. 

But the conversation swept on and she was glad for it. There was only so much she could tolerate feeling like a fool and a prisoner. She watched as the brunette woman lapped up the attention in the arena but her eyes flitted to the wounded woman dragging herself off to the side. She wrinkled her nose. How uncouth. "Murmillo..." She repeated, the word sounding vaguely familiar. "You didn't have a spear?" She asked, "I've seen some fights with spears and then somebody had a net, I swear, the last time I was dragged here." she chuckled. "And then I saw some man against some wild beasts - he was destroyed in seconds. It was really rather grim." She nodded at his question but glanced sideways to the stairs. "It's a long walk back down to the street sellers, I can wait. I'm fine. Unless you are?" 

• Like 1

He'd have her back, if no one else would. And not just because he was her bodyguard. He wasn't the night he met her, not really anyway. He just happened to hear her and she did need his help. So he'd take care of her. And because she was so young and so friendly, and needed someone like him in her life... he'd be there for her. She glanced at him when he promised her his support, should she needed it, and she thanked him. A moment later, the crowd was going mad for Thessala and Alexius almost felt bad he hadn't watched it all properly. But then he began talking about the fights and about his own fighting style back in the day. Ovinia had appropriate questions and thoughts about the whole thing.

"It can be rather grim at times. The one with the net might have been a retiarius. He carries a trident and a net, as if he's a fisherman. The hoplomachus has both a spear, a gladius and a small, round shield. I've fought such gladiators a few times before." Alexius explained, "But there are many types of gladiators. Some have favorite types and others just have favorite gladiators." He said with a grin. Then he'd also wondered if she was hungry or thirsty, but she didn't want to walk to the streets. Alexius chuckled.

"We don't need to walk at all. See?" He pointed towards a vendor walking up the stairs, sometimes people at the seats called for him and bought something, "I think we should have a drink, at least. That one has food though, I think. Maybe one with wine will come soon. I know it's not the wine you're used to, but to the people here... it's better than nothing." Alexius said. She was learning everything he could teach her here, so she might enjoy it more another time. And maybe it was good for her, as he'd thought before, to experience what joys in life a plebian or lower ranked citizen had. 

@Sara

• Like 1

"I didn't realise it was so...complicated. I thought it was just men...hitting each other with pointy things until they died." If there was an innuendo there, she didn't realise it and instead cast a glance up at him as he suggested sustenance. 

Hawkers moved between the seats. It did not smell appetising to her, but she had undoubtedly offended him enough already and so plastered on a smile, much as she didn't feel like doing so. "My wine is so watered at home, I doubt it'll taste that different." She'd tried the lora once, when she was a girl and curious and it was vile. She hoped it was better than that. She kept her eyes on the men and women moving up and down the stairs, trays overflowing until she caught sight of one with wooden cups of what she presumed was wine. Hopefully. 

"E...Excuse me?" She called out, quietly and unsure - so he obviously didn't hear her. She huffed in annoyance and then moved the folds of her palla out of the way to find her coin purse. "I'll pay for these...if you manage to summon his attention." It didn't occur to her that there was more gold at her hip than many people here saw in a month. "But don't think you'll get me drunk," She shot Alexius an amused look, "You might be teaching me the ways of the plebs and the freedmen but I am still a noble lady." The last of her words were drowned out by an enormous roar as men strode into the sands down below them. Ovinia nudged Alexius and leant forward in her seat. "Who's that?" She squinted to see. 

• Like 1

Alexius chuckled at her comment on the gladiators, “Well you’re not wrong, but it’s also so much more than that. And they all have strengths and weaknesses regarding their weapons and armor. See, this is why I wanted to take you with me, to experience it.” Alexius smiled, glad that she seemed to understand it was much more interesting than what she first thought, “Plus, apart from that… it’s a good opportunity for something nice to look at. Study, for you maybe.” He added with a wink, well maybe he was biased, but he did have a thing for gladiators, still.

At first, Ovinia didn’t seem to want a drink, but then she began calling out for one of the vendors, but not nearly loud enough. Gods, she was sweet sometimes. And then she promised to pay, although she didn’t want to get drunk.

“Of course you are.” He said with a grin back to her and called out loudly to the nearest vendor and got his attention along with a few others, “Hey! We’d like drinks!” The man was soon on his way up the steps towards Alexius and Ovinia, but her attention was drawn to the sands again. Alexius held a hand up over his eyes to get a better look, “Oh, I’m not sure I recognize them. But that is a murmillo.” He pointed at the one to the left, “And the other is a thraex. He has a small shield and a short blade, as you see. Who do you think will win? We could make a bet.” Alexius suggested and paused to take the drinks from the vendor and let Ovinia pay. Well she offered and she was the wealthiest of them.

@Sara

• Like 1

Ovinia flushed and made a non-committal 'mhmm' sound. He was right though, they were nice to look at. In a sweaty, athletic, manly sort of way. She cleared her throat. 

He was better than her at summoning the attention of the vendor, whom she dutifully paid. She took a sip as he spoke and immediately wrinkled her nose, pulling a face. It tasted sour. And warm. And unpleasant. She cast a quick glance round; everybody else seemed to be enjoying it and she felt awash with embarrassment. Maybe it would be better if she sipped it quickly? She braved another. Nope. No better. 

"Gambling is illegal outside of the festivals, isn't it?" She tilted her head at him, an innocent expression on her face. She didn't like bending the rules; they were there for a reason and a very good reason at that. Still..."What would you bet? Money is a little...gauche." Because she had far more of it - she presumed - than Alexius, even if she was a woman. "And...ah!" She winced and shielded her eyes as the Murmillo slides clean through the skin of the other mans leg, leaving a gaping wound behind. It was distressing, and not in the entertaining way those around them seemed to be enjoying. "Were...were you ever hurt like that?" she indicated down at the sands.

• Like 1

She blushed sweetly again, when he mentioned that the gladiators were also quite nice to look at. At least he thought so and Ovinia simply agreed without words, although he could tell what she thought. Especially after she cleared her throat. How often was it that a young lady like her had the chance to look at half-naked men? Something to study for her indeed.

Gladiators came onto the sands then and Alexius explained what they were, with his own drink in hand. He didn’t know why Ovinia made a face – or, then he did, because she probably wasn’t very used to wine that tasted like this. Patricians drank better wine. He’d worked for quite a few, even Teutus had better wine than he did in his simple flat. But if you wanted to get drunk… it was fine. It wasn’t meant for sipping. It was meant for drinking.

He suggested they made a bet to who would win and Ovinia, sweet and unschooled as she was in these matters, didn’t think gambling was permitted.

“Ovinia, lovely girl… this is a festival.” The plebian games was a festival just as so many others, although they didn’t really do anything that had anything to do with a deity. But it was still considered a festival. What to bet though? Alexius drank some more of his wine, while he was thinking… and while he did that, and she did too, something happened on the sands. The crowd cheered and Ovinia shielded her eyes from the injury that the Murmillo gave the other gladiator. Alexius enjoyed it too… he knew the technique, the other used, after all. And he did it well, the man on the sands.

“I was, plenty of times. Wounds like those… can be stitched and they’ll heal. Burns and scars from the whip are worse, I think.” He reached down to push the cloth on his left leg a bit up over the knee, to show her the beginnings of a scar there, “That one was bad though. You don’t want to be cut in the thigh. But hey, I lived. I’m here.” He added with a smile, it was so long ago now that he rarely thought about it. He pushed his breeches back into place and looked at her. He’d considered betting a kiss from her, but she barely had any wine yet, so he doubted she’d agree with the idea… instead, he got another, “How about betting another trip into Rome, another time? If you win, you decide where we go. If I win, I decide.”

@Sara

• Like 1

She glanced between the bleeding man on the sands and the man next to her. To her completely uneducated and untrained eye, such a wound looked unsurvivable. So much blood! She felt herself grimace as he mentioned burns and whips. She'd seen her father use the latter on several of his slaves, their backs mangled by it. It turned her stomach but more out of squeamishness than any guilt for the person being lashed. Looking at the man next to her who implied he'd been subjected to it...she felt a ripple of guilt. 

Her eyes followed his hand as he revealed the edge of a scar. How did he seem so relaxed about it? How was he smiling? She blinked up at him, confused. "How did you do deal with the pain?" She asked, confused. "I don't understand how you, how he-" She gestured to the limping man, now back up and fighting with full force, "Keeps going." She sipped the nasty wine, making an unintentional face again at the sourness of it. 

His bet distracted her from the wine and she laughed, a melodic sound. "Fine. But, nowhere scandalous." She gave him a warning look and then looked back at the sands. "I bet on the Mur...Murmillo." the man had already injured the other, so why shouldn't she bet on him. 

• Like 1

He saw how she grimaced when he mentioned burns and scars. She had slaves too, she knew what all that was. She knew it happened and there wasn’t a thing she could do to prevent it. He could only hope to educate her a bit, so that she might be kinder to her slaves in the future. No slaves he knew truly deserved such treatment. He didn’t believe it was the right way, no matter what. Not that he was against violence, but there was a time to use it and there were plenty of times where you could have done something else. And treating people like animals was one of those times.

But he showed her one of his own scars when she asked and she looked at him, confused, wondering how they could keep going with such scars.

“He keeps going because he has to. As I said… it’s a matter of life and death, sometimes. If he gives up, he may die. And then he’ll never live to see freedom. Or another sunrise.” Alexius pointed out, “That’s how I dealt with it anyway. There was no way I’d give up. I had to be free someday.” That was a bit deep, but she asked, and why should he give her anything but the truth now? She sipped her wine again and then agreed with the idea of a bet.

“I would never.” He said with a gasp, when she said she didn’t want him to take her anywhere scandalous. As if he’d ever do that. He chuckled and she chose her bet, “Very well, we shall see who actually wins.” Although he naturally, secretly, hoped for the Murmillo too, she picked first and that’s how it was.

@Sara

• Sad 1

She merely gulped down a mouthful of wine and nodded. He had to be free. Maybe, she thought, one day she'd understand that urge. From where she sat she had no doubts that faced with a similar scenario she'd merely roll over and cry, waiting to die. Bravery - it seemed - was something Alexius didn't recognise in himself. The men of her family had fought in wars and battles as part of the legion but they were never on the front line, risking their lives alone like he did. She cast a glance sideways at him, respect heavy in her eyes. She thought to compliment him but decided against it. No need to ruin the mood. 

"Would you not?" She said with a teasing, amused lilt in her voice. "You've already told me about prostitiyes ad pleasures and the plebeian games," She managed to get through that without stuttering, thankfully, "For all I know next you'd take me to somewhere worse!" She chuckled and shook her head. At least she'd be safe with him. She nodded as he accepted her bet and they turned to watch the action. She had to keep herself from squirming in her seat. Blood decorated the earth beneath the two men as they lunged and lashed out with their blades. Judging by the muttering going on around them from fellow patrons, this wasn't the main event. Just one of many. Surely...it all got a bit...samey after a while? The thraex lashed out as her attention was diverted. Thrusting up into the arm of the murmillo who let out a blood curdling scheme. It was enough to make Ovinia gasp and cover her gaping mouth with her palla. 

"How do you enjoy this?!" 

• Like 1

She drank her wine rather fast, didn't she? Alexius watched as she gulped down another mouthful of the wine. Was it growing on her after all? Or was it he, who made her drink? But she was the one asking questions, he merely answered with honesty, as he'd done all day so far. She probably still couldn't imagine fighting for your life like that. Knowing that if you did not cling onto life with all your might, you'd never go anywhere again. She didn't know what it was like. Alexius still almost felt she was as caged as the slaves though, but she had not wanted to agree with that. She was free, sure, but she was not free like her father or her brothers were. The men of Rome were in control. The freeborn men, that was. Alexius wasn't even allowed to vote and he couldn't run for office. Not that he wanted to. But he also couldn't. 

The conversation turned lighter when talking about the results of their little bet. How could she even imagine he'd take her anywhere scandalous? It was all a joke though and she picked it up, teasing him right back, "You're probably right. Who knows where we'll go next?" He grinned and their eyes returned to the sands. The fight there was good. The thraex was getting beaten by the murmillo, it seemed... but then suddenly it all changed. Maybe the thraex had been saving his strength for this. The murmillo let out a wail and there was blood all over the place. Ovinia gasped and Alexius instinctively put the arm he'd draped along the seat behind her, around her shoulder.

"I think my reason may be different than theirs." Alexius gestured to the people around them, "I know what it's like, being down there. I see the sport, the technique, the strength, the talent... and I see memories. Myself. They see entertainment that's set up for them. It's all they have before going back to their less luxurious lives." He explained kindly and downed some wine with his free hand, "Do you want a refill?"

@Sara

• Haha 1

Ovinia looked through slatted fingers at the chaos and the blood filling the sands. The roar of the crowd around them was unbelievable, as was the frenzy at the seats next to her. She was being jostled from her left and behind and in front as people reacted to the fight and she was momentarily grateful for Alexius' protective arm around her shoulders. Momentarily grateful, before she realised it was far too familiar a thing for him to do and she shrugged it off, leaning forward in her seat as delicately as she could so as not to embarrass him. She chose not to mention it, but trusted he wouldn't do so again. 

She listened and nodded. It made sense, but raised more questions than it answered, she peered at him as another wail of pain came from up the arena. She didn't dare look to see who it belonged to. She didn't want to lose the bet. "That doesn't explain why Senators and Patricians go to watch things like this...or is it escapism do you think?" She had a considered look on her face  before it broke into a sly grin, "Or are my class all just inherently cruel, blood-loving madmen who like to watch people suffer?" She took a gulp of her wine and glanced down at the near-empty cup as Alexius asked if she wanted a refill. She really should slow down. Then again...this was a festival. She nodded and pushed her shoulders back, taking on that imperious look she got when she was dealing with slaves and such. She saw the vendor. "You!" She said much louder than her first attempt. He whipped his head round, confused and staring at her. She held her cup up and tapped it and he rolled his eyes, beginning to make his way back across the seats to them.

As they waited she glanced up at Alexius a light flush of embarrassment on her cheeks that she should have done that. She cleared her throat and tried to think of something else to talk about as a distraction. "You never told me...we know what we'll win with our bet...but what do they win, if they are victorious in the fight?" She gestured down to the two men circling each other below.

• Like 1

When she’d gasped and hid her eyes, Alexius had put his arm around shoulder, as he would with any companion in need of comfort. It was only a moment though, because then she leaned forwards, shrugging his arm off of her and Alexius did feel a little awkward. Was he becoming too familiar with her? She, a noble young lady, unmarried even… and he was just a freedman and occasionally her bodyguard, but not right now. And she was not ready to take whatever this was, one step further. Even though he bet he could teach her a lot of useful things for the future. But she clearly had another intended, whether it was the one she’d marry or not, time would tell.

He explained his reason for watching the games and Ovinia, as the good student she was, listened to him. But then she continued to wonder why people of her rank would go and watch things like this. When she added her own assumption, Alexius arched a brow at her, because there was more truth to what she said than she probably thought. At least, according to him, “I think… maybe you don’t want to hear my answer to that. Although now you may guess it.” Meanwhile she took another gulp of her wine and decided she did want more.

Soon she’d barked at the nearby vendor, much louder than the first time. Maybe a bit too commanding? But when he arrived at their seats, Alexis held out his cup to be refilled too. Ovinia was blushing after her exclamation and cleared her throat, carrying the conversation forwards as if they could ignore what just happened… but more eyes than that of the vendor had turned to them and Alexius saw how they looked at the two of them, together. And Alexius knew himself and his reputation well enough to know, that hers could be ruined. Maybe this had been a stupid idea. He downed some wine, thinking that he should not be one to ruin her reputation, when the truth was they’d done nothing but talk.

“They win the glory… and coin and perhaps a good treatment, depending on what their master thinks.” That’s how Alexius became a father – Ginevera had been given to him after a fight. And became pregnant. But enough of that, because his mind was elsewhere. He didn’t know though if Ovinia would understand and glanced at the sands. The murmillo had been on his knees, but was struggling to get back on his feet. He wasn’t beaten yet, “When they’re done fighting, I’ll take you home.”

@Sara

• Like 1

"Glory doesn't seem like just payment for that." She said with a grimace to the men bleeding on the arena floor. 

Ovinia blinked, confused. "Take me home?" She repeated. "I thought there were lots of fights today?" Not just a pair of gladiatrices and this fight. Surely they kept the best until the end? Something had changed; Alexius was awkward - eyes looking around the crowds who, she noticed then, were eyeing the both of them up. She tucked her coin purse further away on her hip and sipped her wine, pretending not to notice. Her voice was quiet as she spoke and she kept her eyes forward on the sands. "Have I...offended you? In some way?" 

• Like 1

Alexius just nodded, when sweet Ovinia said that glory wasn't enough payment for how they were hurt in the arena, "It isn't. But... that's how it is. The more glory, the more coin though. Maybe the way to freedom, as it was for me." Alexius explained to her. And then she'd shouted to the vendor for more wine and got it. Got the wine and the attention of some of the plebes that sat near them. Some of them knew Alexius, if not personally, then they'd seen him before and had been told about him. Or they read his name on the walls, as he did. Or were they the ones writing about him? Not that he knew what the rest of the words on the wall were. But he knew they were there. And he knew Ovinia sat right next to him and... realized this might not be a good idea after all. But Ovinia didn't understand and wondered if she had offended him.

He downed some more wine, "No... no you haven't offended me." Alexius said with a smile, patting her knee, "And there are more fights. It's just... me." He leaned closer to her, to speak in a lower voice, "I'm not exactly unknown in Rome. And I... my... repute may be bad for you. I should have given it thought before. But if you want to stay, we will." Technically, she was still his superior in a way. And while he definitely was not in love with her, he cared for her, as he did for all kind people, women and men, who crossed his path... be they lovers or just friends. 

@Sara

• Like 1

Ovinia glanced down at her knee, even as he removed his hand. Yes. Yes she could see why he'd gained such a reputation. She felt colour come to her cheeks and shifted in her seat, feeling acutely aware now of the stares they were attracting. She was hardly conspicuous, dressed as she was. She wanted the world to swallow her up. But to leave now would be to make a scene. "We should stay until this fight is finished." She gave him a smile but it was tight and unnatural compared to the grins she'd shot him in the conversation thus far. She took another sip of her wine, feeling her insides warm with it. 

"It's not that I'm embarrassed." she said hurriedly, realising she'd not said her peace, "I just...my reputation is important. Very important." it was her worth, in essence. She let out a flustered laugh, trying to crack a joke; "If I were married already it would not be so much of an issue but now..." unwed, virgin that she was. Yes. This was wholly inappropriate and she was concentrating so hard on it that she completely missed the Murmillo thwack the other man across the head with the hilt of his sword. The man fell to the ground and the crowd roared. She blinked down. "I...won?" and they should leave.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.