Teamwork is magic

Chevi

"She is, very remarkable. And beautiful too. You really turned her down?... I hope she'll be alright. That they all will." 

Lucius chuckled as Alexius said what he knew had been on his mind. The world of patrician relationships was vastly different from what Alexius was probably used to. Lucius shook his head.

"I didn't turn her down. She was looking for respectable husband material, and we both knew I wasn't that." he grinned "That was before I even joined the vigiles. She deserves someone... steadier. She's got a son to care for."

Obviously, Pinaria had been set up with the wrong brother.

@Atrice

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lucius claimed that him not marrying Pinaria had nothing to do with him turning her down, because she wanted a respectable husband. As if Lucius couldn't be a respectable husband to a beautiful and clever woman! Alexius gave him a look, not certain that was the only reason he didn't choose to marry her. Besides, who said you had to marry someone to be with them? Certainly not Alexius! But Lucius went on, claiming Pinaria deserved someone steadier.

"And you couldn't be a steady and caring father?" Alexius arched a brow, "Besides, maybe a good husband and a father for her son isn't all she needs." He winked at Lucius with a grin, "Most women need more than that, they're just unable to admit it." He added with a small sigh, wishing society wasn't made the way it was... he'd loved a woman not many years ago too, but she was an Equite and Alexius just a freedman. Together with her, it felt as if it was meant to be. Except for the fact that they'd both be outcasts if they did decide to marry. That and the fact that she might never fully come to terms with Alexius' broad desires. In the end, she let him go, "We all do, don't we? Want and need more. It's damned that it's so hard to find someone who's just right, isn't it?" 

@Chevi

• Like 1

"And you couldn't be a steady and caring father?"

"I couldn't be a steady and caring patrician father" Lucius pointed out the obvious with a chuckle. Even as a widow, Pinaria had to make and advantageous marriage. It was not the only reason they both knew Lucius wasn't a match, but it was the most important one.

"Besides, maybe a good husband and a father for her son isn't all she needs. Most women need more than that, they're just unable to admit it."

Lucius grinned at Alexius. In some ways, his life was probably easier. If all Lucius wanted had been a lover, he could have felt easier too.

"We all do, don't we? Want and need more. It's damned that it's so hard to find someone who's just right, isn't it?" 

"You can say that again." Lucius nodded with a sigh. "There was this girl, at the Venus. I used to visit her, when I... uh, still had the money. I was her client, but damn, she was also good at conversation." he chuckled. "She... saw me pretty well, it turns out."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Right, not a Patrician father, but Alexius was quite sure that Lucius would be a very good father someday. He seemed caring, more so than so many others. The fact that he chose to become one of the vigiles and stopped being a Patrician was a clear sign of that. Still though, what if Pinaria had to find a husband, but that was not all she needed? Alexius tried to point that out to Lucius, then mused about how everyone wanted and needed more than what was appropriate, but it was hard finding the right person.

Lucius agreed and told about a girl at the Venus he'd known. Alexius smiled, "They're smarter than their reputation, ladies are. And when something feels good... I think we're like open scrolls to them. We'll tell them anything if they make us feel good." He said with a grin and then looked at Lucius, "You really had to go and pay for pleasure though, as a Patrician? I never understood that. With your looks, any girl should want to get on her knees for you for free." 

@Chevi

• Haha 2

"They're smarter than their reputation, ladies are. And when something feels good... I think we're like open scrolls to them. We'll tell them anything if they make us feel good."

Lucius chuckled. Alexius was not wrong, really. He wondered how many secrets Vibia was already privy to. A smart woman like that, she probably knew how to use them to her advantage. She had called the attraction between him and Ovinia anyway, way before he realized it.

"You really had to go and pay for pleasure though, as a Patrician? I never understood that. With your looks, any girl should want to get on her knees for you for free." 

This time, he laughed. He was growing fond of Alexius and his world views. "I didn't have to pay... it just kind of happened. She seemed interesting." And she was surely not doing anything for free. He arched an eyebrow at Alexius. "You're the one talking. Former gladiator? I bet women are lining up for you."

@Atrice

• Haha 1

When Lucius chuckled, Alexius suddenly recalled the other man's mood when he came into Alexius' home earlier that day. It hadn't been good. And now he seemed much better, at least. So he must have done something right. The conversation went on though, about women and how they made them feel... and Alexius for once asking someone why he'd pay for pleasure when he clearly didn't have to. Lucius laughed again and Alexius couldn't help but smile too.

Lucius revealed that the prostitute had seemed interesting and that's why he slept with her. And paid for her. So he fell for it too, didn't he? She made her living out of making men think she was interesting. But he didn't mention it as Lucius threw the same question back at him.

Alexius smirked, "Women... and men." He added with a wink, "Although sometimes I wonder who's lining up for whom. I mean... it's not hard to tempt me. And Rome is full of good looking people." Alexius said with a smile, "But as long as everyone's happy, right? If the attraction and the desire is mutual... then there's nothing wrong with it. Not the way I see it anyway." He stopped himself, recalling again Lucius' mood from earlier. Which had a whole lot to do with Lucius' attraction to Ovinia and him being unsure whether she felt the same, after what happened. Love was such a tricky bastard! 

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Women... and men."

Lucius smirked. Alexius did seem like a very popular man. There was nothing wrong with that. Lucius himself was no stranger to flirting with men from time to time, although he suspected Alexius' list of flirts was way, way longer than his.

"Although sometimes I wonder who's lining up for whom. I mean... it's not hard to tempt me. And Rome is full of good looking people."

"It is." Lucius agreed, laughing. Alexius, devoted to the pleasures of life. Lucius generally liked people like that, as long as seeking pleasure did not turn them greedy or selfish or cruel. Alexius was none of those things. Best of both worlds, really.

"But as long as everyone's happy, right? If the attraction and the desire is mutual... then there's nothing wrong with it. Not the way I see it anyway." 

"That is because you are not a patrician." Lucius smirked. If only it had been so easy. Life would have been... better. "They can find a whole lot of wrong with attraction, if it is between people who don't match. And definitely a whole lot of wrong with it, if it involves unmarried women."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius' list of flirts was indeed very long and his list of flirts that went further, probably almost as long. If he knew how to write a list. He knew a little, of course, but he didn't use his writing skills a lot, he was never good at it. His skills were elsewhere and they mostly had to do with his body somehow. He was good at using that, at least. He explained to Lucius that maybe people lined up for him, or maybe it was the other way around. Alexius was always easily tempted and he had a very hard time saying no to people who wanted him... because he usually wanted them too, if that was the case. 

He then added that he didn't see anything wrong with lust or love, as long as the attraction was mutual. But Lucius claimed it had to do with his rank, which earned him a look. Alexius hated the Roman society when it came to ranks here. He'd come to terms with almost all that Rome was, but the fact that some people were better and wealthier than others and had more rights than others... and thought they were entitled to more, that did not sit well with him. And Lucius kindly reminded him that they were not the same. That they were not equals, despite working so well together.

"Unmarried women can be an issue, yes... but people who don't match? Don't you think I've met women like Pinaria before? And do you think I only flirted with them?" Alexius asked, "It's all about how you do it. Sure some will think something's wrong with the attraction. But if the desire is strong enough... you make it work." You find a way to keep it a secret to those, who would punish the lovers if they knew. He recalled Rutilia, sister to Cyprianus, back in the day. She had a husband. And she was just one of many.

@Chevi

• Haha 1

Maybe Lucius had gone too far, reminding Alexius he was not a patrician. Neither was Lucius, not anymore, but to other people comments like this still came off as him feeling superior. Which was never a good thing.

"Unmarried women can be an issue, yes... but people who don't match? Don't you think I've met women like Pinaria before? And do you think I only flirted with them?"

Of course not. If Lucius had to guess, he'd have safely bet on Alexius having slept with several noble women who had a taste for handsome men. How many unmarried, though? That was another story.

"It's all about how you do it. Sure some will think something's wrong with the attraction. But if the desire is strong enough... you make it work." 

"You were never afraid of getting caught?" he ventured, looking at him curiously. Even as a freedman, families of patrician women would not have taken kindly to the transgression. "I mean, for an unmarried girl, her life is at stake." Even a hint of scandal, and she was spoiled goods. Like Ovinia, after being attacked. And if they turned out not to be untouched, on their wedding night... Lucius did not wish that on anyone, no matter how much he may want them. "But even for married women, or widows... You're not worried someone would have your head bashed in?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius was quite persistent... he wanted to live his life the way he had so far, and he didn't want to stop. Imagine if he did not spent almost every night next to another naked body? He could not imagine that. It was such a huge part of his life and who he was, that he wouldn't be the same if he didn't do what he did. And then Lucius almost seemed to think that Alexius could only do that because he was not a Patrician. As if he only ever slept with people of the lower classes. He did not. But it was a private thing, kept between them. He didn't go out and brag about his nightly escapades. Not with names anyway.

Lucius wondered if you'd get caught and if he was not afraid of that. 

Alexius smiled, "Not really afraid, I think. Concerned, sometimes... but you know, when you're caught up in a moment and you forget to think, until after...?" He trailed off briefly, "And then after, it's too late. So, you move on." He shrugged, he hadn't been caught so far and his lovers hadn't either, at least not what he knew. If they had, no one had come for him.

"Pleasure isn't just about inserting one part into another, Lucius, but you know that. You can share pleasure and the woman can remain virgin." Of course Lucius wasn't a virgin, he revealed that slept with that prostitute and he bet she wasn't Lucius' first either... "But I would never want to put anyone in danger. I'd do all I could to keep it between us. And if someone would have my head bashed in, I'm pretty sure I'd bash theirs first. Unless they fall for my charms too. I never had the issue, though." 

@Chevi

• Haha 1

"Not really afraid, I think. Concerned, sometimes... but you know, when you're caught up in a moment and you forget to think, until after...? And then after, it's too late. So, you move on." 

Yes. Lucius was familiar with the concept of being caught up in the moment. But it was somehow stunning that Alexius had gotten away with it again and again... the gods must have favored the man. Venus, most likely.

"Pleasure isn't just about inserting one part into another, Lucius, but you know that. You can share pleasure and the woman can remain virgin."

Lucius cleared his throat. Yeah, he knew that too. He did not want to think about it, because it conjured up a whole lot of distracting thoughts and feelings. Also, if anyone got caught, it was not really going to be a very solid defense to say things had not been... inserted.

"But I would never want to put anyone in danger. I'd do all I could to keep it between us. And if someone would have my head bashed in, I'm pretty sure I'd bash theirs first. Unless they fall for my charms too. I never had the issue, though." 

Lucius laughed a little at Alexius' confidence. He had no doubt the man could seduce anyone if he put his mind to it. And he did not point out that Alexius had just blurted out Ovinia's name to someone else... still, he meant well.

"I wish I had your confidence."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius had always firmly believed that it was Fortuna who was on his side, but maybe Venus had something to do with it too. Honestly he didn't think too deeply about it and why should he? As long as his life was fine and he could enjoy doing what he did... there was nothing to think about. Lucius questioning Alexius' way of life was something new, he honestly never thought that far about it. If he'd get caught or something. 

Lucius spoke of unmarried women and such, but Alexius pointed out that you could share pleasure and the woman could remain a virgin. As far as he understood it, the men who cared too deeply about those things wanted the woman to bleed on their first night together. That was a sign of her being untouched. So as long as he could secure that... and he had had to do that before, but not that often. It wasn't always that the woman's status was that important - the moment with her, that's what mattered.

So he was not that concerned about being caught. And argued that either he'd bash the other man's head in first or charm him, maybe. If he had to. He chuckled when the younger man spoke of confidence.

"Thanks, I guess?" He said, it did kind of sound like a compliment, "But you should have confidence, Lucius. You're very attractive and you're bright too. I know there's something you want, but can't have... and it messes you up. You want to know what I do, when I feel like that?" He paused, he was going to say it anyway. He leaned closer to Lucius, "I distract myself... with the goods that life has to offer. Drinks, pleasure, fun..." He could even distract Lucius himself, he thought, but it would be kind of odd... considering he knew who Lucius wanted the most and it wasn't Alexius. Which was a pity. So he wouldn't suggest it and instead had another idea, "We could go somewhere to find it?" It was still broad daylight, but when did that ever stop anyone from having fun?

@Chevi

• Haha 1

Lucius could have very easily been the kind of man Alexius was. He liked the pleasures of life, he had had the privilege of a patrician to pursue them... except, somehow, he wound up throwing it away for something that felt important. And then he went and got himself tangled with the most unattainable woman in the city.

"But you should have confidence, Lucius. You're very attractive and you're bright too. I know there's something you want, but can't have... and it messes you up. You want to know what I do, when I feel like that?"

That something being Ovinia.

"Please, share." Lucius sighed. They were done with work for the day, anyway.

"I distract myself... with the goods that life has to offer. Drinks, pleasure, fun... We could go somewhere to find it?" 

Lucius smiled a little. He had sobered up by now from the drinking he'd started at the insula.

"I make no promises it will work. But I can pay. Lead the way."

@Atrice

• Like 1