The Tempest

Sara

All the anger deflated out of him like a sail with  no breeze and she felt embarrassment start to creep over her with a familiar enough feeling of dread. "Lucius..." she winced but he was already turning on his heel and stalking away. She felt her heart jump into her throat. She wasn't angry at him. Well...she was...but only because she was a coward who knew she couldn't raise a knife to her own throat.

She jogged out of the shack after him, into the trees and caught up to him in a few paces, reaching out to grip hold of his forearm buried under the blanket. She was embarrassed and it showed. "I'm sorry...I..." She didn't know what to say. So she didn't say anything and instead moved to hug him. She had been petrified and he had been there. As he always was.

TAG: @Chevi

• Sad 1

She came after him. Honestly Lucius did not expect her to. She had a habit of fuming on her own, and now she could hog the shack and the sails if she wanted to. But instead she followed, and not even to yell at him some more.

"What?" he sighed as she touched his arm. He turned to face her, and she apologized, moving in to wrap him in a hug. The fight went out of Lucius in an instant, giving way to the full weight of the day they had just had. He wrapped his arms around Ovinia and held her in a tight hug, burying his face in her shoulder. She was warm against him, but the feeling was... something deeper.

@Sara

• Like 1

The weeks resumed their normality after the pirate incursion. Normality, that was, besides another shipwreck. It must have been a smaller boat or Ovinia presumed so as only two bodies washed ashore - a man and a woman, both in their fifties or sixties perhaps. They were buried with the others in a solemn fashion - Ovinia reciting the prayers she had heard said for her grandparents when they had passed. But death brought life and with the couple chests washed up on the beach containing cups and utensils, plates and clothes. Not many and not fancy, but dresses - two proper dresses and two tunicas and sandals. All were too big for both herself and Lucius but they were new. And new things on this island of desolation was plenty of entertainment. 

Beyond the wreck, nothing much happened. They ate together and opined and argued as they always did. It didn't really matter on the subject, both Ovinia and Lucius seemed intent to disagree with one another. Still, it was entertainment in and of itself. So when the sun dipped closer to the horizon, promising a beautiful sunset it an hours time as Ovinia sat by the fire outside the shack, attempting to re-sew one of the dresses to her size, she had a content little smile. She'd been smiling for some time, actually. Despite the fact it was becoming more challenging to actually stitch anything. Everything looked a little...fuzzy, but she imagined that was because she was tired and cold. She tossed another handful of dark green leaves on the fire. She'd found the stash earlier that day towards the western edge of the island and had been using it since she sat down to sew. The smoke was ferocious so Lucius should be pleased.

• Haha 1

A couple of weeks passed with no major events, other than the unfortunate shipwreck. The island had to be getting crowded with ghosts now, so Lucius made sure to do the appropriate rituals to keep them at peace. The boat, sadly, did not survive, so they were still stuck. He made sure the campfire had visible smoke as often as possible. If one ship came this way, others might too...

The figs were also running out now. Luckily, they were getting closer to citrus and olive season. In the meantime, he spent more time fishing, with spear and hook. He also got better at catching octopuses, biting them between the eyes for a quick kill.

Tonight, Ovinia was sitting by the campfire doing some sewing as he returned from the water, carrying fish that would be their dinner. Smoke was billowing up from the fire. It would be getting dark soon, but the hope was still there. The smoke had a stinging smell as the gentle wind blew it in his direction.

"You are getting better at this" he noted, inspecting her sewing work. She wasn't, but as long as it held, it was okay. "I'll get started on cooking these. The might get a taste from this smoke though."

@Sara

• Like 1

"I've always been good at sewing!" She protested with a giggle and a grin, taking the fabric and hitting him in the chest with it. Giggling wasn't very Ovinia but it must have been something to do with the sun or the birdsong or the feeling of the sand between her toes, but she was feeling...happy. Carefree, almost. 

"What do you mean?" She frowned up at him with a curious expression on her face. She couldn't smell the smoke. It didn't matter though and she grinned, pushing herself up and grabbing his hand. "Whilst you were out I did something...wait...close your eyes." She tugged on his hand..."Are you going to keep your eyes closed?" 

• Haha 1

"I've always been good at sewing!" 

"Sure" Lucius conceded, amused at her giggling. They had not had a real fight since the pirates, but she had also not been this... giggly, recently.

"What do you mean? Whilst you were out I did something...wait...close your eyes. Are you going to keep your eyes closed?" 

Lucius arched an eyebrow and then closed his eyes, allowing Ovinia to pull him by the hand. She was very cheerful for some reason. The smell of the smoke lingered in the air around them. It really was a beautiful evening. "What is it?"

• Like 1

She giggled again. It almost sounded...wrong from a woman who was more used to pouting and glaring than smiling recently. "You have to wait here with your eyes closed...promise?" When she was content that he'd do what she said, she grinned and moved hurriedly  to the shack, bringing out her surprise.

She'd taken one of the spare boards they hadn't needed for shack given it was smaller and lighter and therefore not much use. On it, she'd set two cups and two plates and a central dish of early peaches she'd scavenged in a corner of the island they'd not yet discovered. She wobbled with it (it was heavier than it looked) and then set it down on the sand in front of the fire. She then hurried back to the shack, yelling; "Keep your eyes closed!" As she did...before returning with the sail and the blanket stuffed with moss and their clothes, therefore taking on the shape of two pillows. She set them either side of the plank and then grinned. A proper little dinner set-up. "Open." She commanded, her cheeks flushed and eyes dilated. "Ta-da...!" 

• Haha 1

"They are closed" he sighed, listening as she rustled away. He hoped this was not a practical joke. She came back and left again, and he wondered what she was doing, but dutifully kept his eyes closed. Some part of the brain was coming up with some interesting theories about surprises.

When he finally opened his eyes, there were pillows, and a tray, and peaches and cups... set for dinner by the fire. Lucius' eyes widened, looking at the setup, and then up at Ovinia, who looked flushed with excitement. And very beautiful. He was speechless for a moment, then let out a laugh.

"Seems like you beat me to dinner" he grinned, shaking his head "When... when did you do all this? And where did you find the... are those peaches?"

• Haha 1

She grinned at his laugh, flushed with pride and a touch of smugness. "Fish will be the main course though and we have no wine." A constant sore point for her, and she pouted a little at this. "You've been gone hours..." She rolled her eyes dramatically and reached for his hand again, tugging him to sit down on one of the pillows. It felt like hours at least. She'd been very productive whilst he was gone. 

"And YES!" she exclaimed delighted, her eyes as wide as saucers - "Up past the spring - in a grove west...no...east..." she frowned, "I can't describe it and there's only a few but it's a treat." She grinned and tossed more greenery onto the fire. "Is that...a smile I see, Lucius?" She grinned.

• Haha 1

"Fish will be the main course though and we have no wine. You've been gone hours..." 

"And I have dinner to show for it!" he protested, gesturing at the fish, momentarily abandoned on a nearby rock. She tugged on his hand again - she had not been this touchy before - and he sat on the free pillow, enjoying the sensation of reclining.

"And YES! Up past the spring - in a grove west...no...east... I can't describe it and there's only a few but it's a treat. Is that...a smile I see, Lucius?" 

"Maybe." It was. Ovinia looked... bubbly, and excited, and very proud of herself, and it made Lucius crack a genuine smile. He reached out to pick up a peach. "Have you tried them?"

• Like 1

She reclined herself on one of the cushions, arranging the folds of her chiton as if she were once again a proper lady in the beautiful frescoed triclinium of somebody's domus, rather than led on a sandy beach on a spit of land in the middle of the sea. She tossed her braided hair over her shoulder and eyed the peach with trepidation as he picked it up.

She set about pouring water for both of them, snapping off mint leaves into it (also foraged) and pushing a cup towards him on the plank. "No...if they're horrible don't tell me." She grinned and leant her jaw in her palm as she took a sip of her water, feeling utterly, utterly relaxed. "Are you going to say thank you Ovinia, you marvel, I'm ever indebted to you?" 

• Haha 1

Ovinia really knew how to host a party. Suddenly Lucius felt like he was getting a glimpse of her in her element, as if she was still a fancy lady in a fancy domus. She even had mint leaves in the water.

"Are you going to say thank you Ovinia, you marvel, I'm ever indebted to you?" 

Lucius felt cheerful and light-headed as he laughed at her.

"Thank you, most gracious Ovinia, benevolent domina of the Island of Peaches" he made a flourish with his hand before he took the peach and bit into it. It was ripe, sweet, a taste he had not felt in a long time of foraged figs, eggs, and seafood. Lucius moaned, closing his eyes. One had to appreciate the little things.

@Sara

• Haha 1

"That is a title I shall keep for an eternity, I expect you to build a temple in my honour by sunrise, gracious Lucius, Saviour of Figs and Scourge of Fish." She giggled again and took another sip of water before grabbing a peach of her own, laughing at his reaction. She took a bite and let out a moan not unlike his own. She sank down until she was led completely flat, just her head on the pillow. 

"I feel like I'm on Mount Olympus right now with the Gods." She grinned as she swallowed a bite, "Why were we ever sad, Lucius?" 

• Haha 1

"That is a title I shall keep for an eternity, I expect you to build a temple in my honour by sunrise, gracious Lucius, Saviour of Figs and Scourge of Fish." 

"Maybe we can consecrate the shack" Lucius chuckled, licking his fingers. The sound she made was like his own, but coming from her, it still made a shiver run down his spine. She sank to the ground and he followed suit, looking at the slowly darkening sky.

"I feel like I'm on Mount Olympus right now with the Gods. Why were we ever sad, Lucius?" 

"Because we are stuck together on a deserted island?" he ventured, and the thought seemed so funny that it made him snicker. He took another bite of the peach, the juice running down his chin. "So which god am I?"

• Haha 1

Lucius' comment on the shack flew right over her head. As did his reaction at her moan. She was in utter bliss in her own little world. Only when he started to snicker did she hear him properly and she giggled alongside him, trying to take deep breaths of the smokey air to keep herself calm. It had the opposite effect and she broke into proper, garrulous laughter at the thought she was stuck here. With him. On an island. Alone. 

His question stayed her laughter just for a moment, the briefest of moments, as she turned her face and moved to lay on her side, jaw propped in her palm, studying him. "Hmmmmmmm." She deliberated..."I think Mars. Handsome and confident but arrogant and cocky and I think you'd stack up quite nicely in war." Satisfied in her choice, and not realising what she had said she took another gulp of wine. "And me? Who am I?" 

• Haha 1

She rolled over to peer at him. Lounging and dining on peaches suited her well. Lucius looked up at her, chewing a bite of the peach as she mulled over his question.

"Hmmmmmmm. I think Mars. Handsome and confident but arrogant and cocky and I think you'd stack up quite nicely in war."

Handsome. He grinned at her, his own eyes darker now as he felt light and floaty. "You see me as a warrior?... I'll take it." Any Roman would be proud of that.

"And me? Who am I?"

"Do I get away with any answer except Venus?... I feel like there is a story about this choice" he chuckled, licking his fingers as he looked up at her. "Tei kalliste, to the most beautiful..." She really was, even after months on an island. "But to tell the truth, there is some Diana in there... Strong and slender and very deadly to any man who sees her..."

• Haha 1

She blushed. Actually blushed at his compliment and groaned, covering her face in the pillow dramatically and letting out a "Shhh!" To save her embarrassment. She thought by this point she must have looked like a savage, like one of the barbarians she used to see in the markets - matted hair and freckled skin - half-feral from months or years in the wilderness. That he called her beautiful made a frisson of...something shoot up her spine. 

"Venusiana." She nodded. "I'll be both. And she commands her Mars to cook her some fish before she's ill from too many peaches." She tossed the peach pit squarely at him as she giggled.

• Haha 1

"Since when does Venus... you know what, never mind. Sure. Your Mars obeys your command" He was hit with the pit of the peach and sat up, finishing his own before he got around to starting on cleaning the fish. Everything was... kind of fuzzy, but light and filled with color. "Whoa. That sunset... look how beautiful it is!"

• Haha 1

As he exclaimed on the sunset she bolted to stand up...which was a mistake as she felt more light-headed than ever. It took her a few moments to regain her bearings and he wobbled as she stood from side to side as if she was still on the boat that had carried her here. Everything was fuzzy but the golden-red light streaming in the distance was very clear. And astoundingly beautiful. 

She took a few wobbly paces forward, a wide, beaming grin on her flushed face..."It's...it's so beautiful..." She blinked and then took a few more paces forward until she started to run to the water. "We should swim to it!" 

• Haha 1

"We should!" Lucius had just come out of the water, but the colors of the sunset were beautiful, and Ovinia running in a rain of diamond sparkles was also beautiful. What a great idea. They would swim in the living colors of the sun. Like gods.

Lucius had already discarded his tunica, so he ran straight into the water, splashing droplets everywhere; they sparked gold and pink and silver in the setting sun.

• Like 1

She giggled and then clapped her hands as he agreed, stopping very momentarily to pull her own dress off. She had - since that day sharing a bed - started to wear a strophium over her chest should any more cuddling be necessary so as she dived into the water she wasn't completely naked. Her underwear didn't leave much to the imagination, mind.

She came up gasping and giggling, a wide grin on her face. Everything was golden and sparkling and beautiful. Everything was so beautiful. "This is paradise..." She mumbled as she floated near him, turning to lie on her back so she could face the golden sky, "I never want to leave. I want to stay here with you and this sunset and this water forever." 

• Haha 1

They splashed into the water, almost naked, and were enveloped in the brilliant colors of the sunset. Lucius laughed, shaking water from his hair. Ovinia let herself float on her back. He had the same idea, but he was momentarily distracted by the sight of her, pale skin and freckles and dark hair, floating on waves in the golden sunset.

"This is paradise... I never want to leave. I want to stay here with you and this sunset and this water forever." 

Feelings hit Lucius with a force that almost sobered him up. He swayed in the water, watching her, foggy mind trying to grapple with the words she blurted out.

"Now you look like a goddess" he breathed.

• Like 1

"Half-drowned rat more like." She giggled to herself and then turned to look at him, and the look on his face wiped the smile off of hers in an instant. Everything was shimmering and golden and beautiful and warm but there was something about the way he was looking at her that...she couldn't explain. It made her breath hitch in her throat because she was quite sure she was looking at him the same way - the shimmering droplets rolling down his chest, over his shoulders...she blinked. 

"You look like Apollo." She blurted out and blinked at him, scrambling to turn around to face him. She could stand on the sand if she stretched, her tip toes just catching on the ground beneath the waves. "You don't hate me do you?" Everything was beautiful and fuzzy and dizzying and she felt her heart hammering against her ribs.

• Haha 1

She looked up at him, eyes wide and dark, cheeks flushed, hair stuck to her wet skin glimmering in the sunset. She was the most goddamn beautiful vision he'd ever seen, better than... better than the gods, better than anything. They swayed in the water, staring at each other.

"You don't hate me do you?"

"No I don't hate you" A small part of Lucius' mind was sobering up, but not fast enough to stop this. He was out of breath."But I do really want to kiss you."

• Like 1

"Hmmmmm." She pondered it with a lazy grin of utter delight and the feeling that everything was going to be absolutely fine. The colours and the warmth and the way his skin was golden with shimmering water. Everything was absolutely bliss. She couldn't get to him fast enough, as she swam the few feet to him and wrapped her arms around his neck, moving to kiss him deeply, passionately, not like she'd ever kissed anybody before. She wanted him with a hunger she had never felt. This felt right.

• Like 1