The Tempest

Sara

Her breath was shaky, her cheeks flushed. She shook her head, eyes wide. "No...no..." Because they would more likely than not sell him. And she needed him. But as she was dragged through into the beach on the other side of the island, she glanced around, panic rising. His idea didn't help.

"How?!" She choked and frowned, gripping onto his hand, urging him to look at her. "We can't swim for hours they'll see us or we'll drown. Look at it!" She tipped her head to the sea which, whilst not rolling in crashing waves, wasn't millpond flat either. "We...we wait for them to get off of the boat, t-then we steal it." She breathed, breathless, panicked. It was the only idea she had. "I...I can cause a distraction and y-you get the boat." 

TAG: @Chevi

• Haha 1

No, they definitely could not swim. There was no land in a visible distance. Lucius scoffed at her idea and shook his head. "We can't outstrip the ship in the boat. And where would we go anyway?... No. Come on."

He took her hand again and led her down to the beach, walking in a roundabout way to stay on the rocks and pebbles, rather than the sand. Not far from the beach, a short swimming distance, some rocks were sticking out of the water. Not much, but large enough to cover two people, as long as they mostly stayed underwater.

"There. We hide there."

• Like 1

"I'm trying to help!" she yelled at him, her voice carrying on the wind and she panicked, eyes wide. She had no idea if the boat had landed yet, but if it hadn't it surely couldn't be far away now. She followed him though, like a rag doll being dragged about until he drew her to a stop on the shingles. 

She looked out where he gestured. She exhaled. She had no idea how it would work. She blinked at him, panic clear in her face. "We'll drown." She shook her head, taking a step back towards the treeline, trying to wrestle her hand free from his. "No...no I'll climb a tree and wait." 

• Like 1

"They'll find you in a tree" Lucius snapped, pulling her back. He made her turn around and grabbed her shoulder with his free hand. "We won't drown. I won't let you drown. But I also won't let them take you. Look at me. We need to go now. Trust me?"

• Sad 1

She started crying as he pulled her back around to face her, not out of sadness but just out of being utterly overwhelmed. They had been here almost a month and she had settled, she had calmed, the fear had started to dissipate. Now it was roaring in her ears like the wind on the night of the storm. 

She nodded, voice hoarse. She could hear male voices on the other side of the island, drifting on the wind. They must have found the cabin and the fire. "I trust you." She choked and gripped his hand with both of hers. She looked out to the rocks and then the beach. They'd see the footprints. She swallowed and then glanced up at him, before dropping his hand and sprinting as fast as she could to the waters edge, wading in up to her hips, her chiton pooling around her.

• Like 1

She trusted him. Lucius was not sure yet if that was a good idea, but he had none that were better. "This way."

They ran down to the beach, him steering them along the parts that were rocky rather than sandy. Hoping to not leave footprints on the pebbles that were easily seen. Ovinia waded into the water and he did too. It got deep fast and he swam, pulling Ovinia along; hoping to make it to the rocks before the pirates crossed the island.

• Like 1

She swam as best as she could in the chiton and with one hand still gripped to Lucius. She had liked swimming as a girl down in Baiae or in Greece even, but not now. The waves rolled over them and she came up spluttering. She could hear shouts behind her and cautioned a glance. They were looking down the beach, not out to sea, but she could see them; dressed in black, blades drawn. She gripped Lucius even tighter. 

They made it to the rocks and she reached out to grab on. She slipped off, they were slick with algae and she tried again. There was some sort of ledge underwater and after a few moments of fumbling, she managed to find her footing, just about. It kept her head just above the water. She looked at him panicked, wanting to make sure he was as safe as she was. When she was content he wasn't in immediate danger of drowning, she leant her forehead to the rock, trying to take deep, cleansing breaths. Where they were sheltered, behind the rocks, they weren't visible from the beach but anything could get them'; the weather could change, they might draw their boat around...they could lose their footing. "A-are you okay?" 

• Like 1

They made it to the rocks just in time. The pirates appeared on top of the beach, but they seemed to be distracted by the remains of the first campsite, not looking out to sea. Lucius and Ovinia huddled on the far side of the rocks, keeping their heads above water. Lucius' feet found the same ledge as Ovinia's, and he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close against him and against the rock, anchoring them both in their shelter. He tried to catch his breath, and listen to voices over the crash of the waves.

"I'm fine... They are looking for us. They know we are hiding. With luck, they'll think we drowned..."

• Like 1

"We might actually drown." She choked back in response as she withdrew her forehead from the rock and craned her neck to look up at him. The intimacy of being hugged wasn't lost on her but it was also the farthest thing down her list of priorities and concerns right now.

"I...if they come out for here, you have to promise to kill me." She was breathless from the buffeting of the waves but deadly serious. She had mentioned it in passing, casually almost before during their month on the island but she meant it now. "My father would never take me back, e-even if they ransomed me." They'd never believe she was untouched enough for the marriage market.

• Like 1

"We might actually drown." 

"We will not drown." he stated, with conviction. They might get dangerously cold in a matter of hours, though... but that was to be worried about later.

"I...if they come out for here, you have to promise to kill me. My father would never take me back, e-even if they ransomed me." 

She turned to look at him, soaked and pale and dead serious. They were close enough that he could only see her eyes, which were wide with fear. She was afraid to die, but she was more afraid of being caught alive.

"If they come anywhere near here, I'll go meet them." he said, holding her tighter against the rock and the crashing waves. "I'll tell them I'm alone, they won't know the difference."

@Sara

• Sad 1

"No."  him a half-smile, shadowed with fear and doubt. "I wouldn't allow that." 

"Being selfish," She coughed as a wave washed dangerously close to them, "I...I wouldn't survive here without you and you know that." The corner of her mouth turned up a little and she shook her head, turning back around to face the front again, away from his gaze. 

"And you don't deserve that. A life of slavery." She frowned to herself. Lucius was infuriating in so, so many ways but he didn't deserve that. And a life of a slave, sold by pirates would not be the pampered house slave of Roman citizens. He'd be lucky if he ended up in the mines. 

• Like 1

"No. I wouldn't allow that." 

"I don't need you permission" Lucius pointed out. The men were yelling on the beach, but the sound of the waves drowned out their words.

"Being selfish. I...I wouldn't survive here without you and you know that." 

"You would. You've been here for a month. You'd be fine." She had been watching, begrudgingly. She knew how to light a fire, how to find food. She'd be fine.

"And you don't deserve that. A life of slavery." 

"It's a life. You don't deserve to die." He didn't want to be captured and sold. But the alternatives all seemed worse. "We'll be fine. I promise."

@Sara

• Like 1

"I would not be fine!"  She hissed and twisted her neck around, shooting him a glare beyond measure. But the angle of where she was pinned against the rock wasn't conducive to conversation or arguments and so without permission, she ducked her head under the water, twisting around until her back was to the rock and she came up facing him, spluttering, between his arms. 

"If you so much think about leaving me here alone and being some great matyr, the second you start shouting for attention I'll scream." She moved one of her hands to grip his cheek and make him look at her drenched face. "Am I understood? We are here together." 

• Haha 1

"I would not be fine!"  

"Quiet!" He hissed back, defeating the purpose. She ducked underwater and squirmed around, coming up face to face with him, which in their current situation was close enough that their noses almost touched. "Damn, woman..."

"If you so much think about leaving me here alone and being some great matyr, the second you start shouting for attention I'll scream. Am I understood? We are here together." 

Lucius glared at her, so close that he could have counted all the freckles on her nose. "Unbelievable." he groaned through gritted teeth. "Stubborn, infuriating, goddamn..."

@Sara

• Haha 1

"Ditto." She glared at him, maintaining her gaze even in this proximity. Ovinia Camilla was very used to getting her own way, and demanded it now. It was just that this time she was trying to save his skin as well as her own.

"And you are stuck with me for the next few hours at least, making sure neither of us drown, so you had better bite your tongue and get used to it." She gave him a smirk that curled up the edge of her lips and she crinkled her eyes just for emphasis, moving a hairs breadth closer so she accidentally bumped his nose with her own, before pulling back to rest her head on the rock behind her. It gave her an extra inch from touching his face.

"You would make a terrible slave anyway, you'd be whipped before the first day was out." 

• Haha 1

They glared at each other, and Ovinia was not backing down. It made Lucius feel... something that felt like anger.

"And you are stuck with me for the next few hours at least, making sure neither of us drown, so you had better bite your tongue and get used to it." 

Their noses bumped before she leaned back against the rock. Waves crashed around them still, and Lucius held on. Hopefully, they'd not have to find out how high the tide would go.

"You would make a terrible slave anyway, you'd be whipped before the first day was out." 

"Ditto." he arched an eyebrow at her. If he was defiant, she was definitely worse. "How does your husband even handle you? If the man deaf or something?"

@Sara

• Haha 1

She scoffed with a lazy grin, ludicrous given then their present, fraught circumstances; "I'm not marr..." And she said it before she realised what she'd done. The heat of the moment, the adrenaline that was thumping through her veins, the way the proximity of his figure made her feel (annoyed, enraged...something), distracted her at the crucial moment.

She blinked at him, lips parting for a moment. She hurriedly tried to cover her tracks; "I mean even a deaf husband wouldn't want me as a slave, or after spending time with you and y-" A wave crashed over the rock, showering them both and she coughed to clear her throat, "With you and your ill manners." A terrible deflection.

• Haha 1

"I'm not marr..." 

Lucius' eyes widened.

"I mean even a deaf husband wouldn't want me as a slave, or after spending time with you and y- With you and your ill manners." 

A wave crashed over them and Lucius sputtered. The wind was picking up now. The pirates were still combing the beach, but with less enthusiasm now, it seemed. Lucius, on the other hand, was stunned.

"You're not married?" he stared at her through the water dripping from his hair. He kept his voice low, but he was definitely reeling. "You've been threatening me with your husband for a month! You... you said you could be pregnant."

• Like 1

Well...she had not gotten away with it (was that any surprise?) and she pursed her lips, trying stubbornly to look away from him but with the water buffeting them, there was nowhere for her to look but directly at his face. She bit her lip and lowered her eyes. 

"Can you blame me?!" She screeched in self defence, choosing indignation over apologies, "I...I know men respect another mans property and my father is old and I...I thought you might feel sorry for a potentially pregnant woman." She raised her eyes and glared at him, "I'm sorry for looking out for myself. Happy?" 

• Haha 1

"Can you blame me?! I...I know men respect another mans property and my father is old and I...I thought you might feel sorry for a potentially pregnant woman."

He did. She had not been wrong about that move. It was a very big lie to uphold, and somehow, he had taken her at her word. He could respect that.

"I'm sorry for looking out for myself. Happy?" 

"Not even close." he sighed. He could see her lips turning blue from staying in the water so long. "You really think that if I didn't think you were someone's property I would have..." That hurt. After a month, that actually hurt. Lucius frowned, shaking his head. He paused as more waves washed over the rocks. "Do you... still think that?"

• Like 1

She felt guilt well up in her chest and she bit at her blue lower lip. She was cold...but also somewhat ashamed. At the beginning it had been natural to lie and far more convenient. But after a month of shared trials, tribulations and, despite herself, some moments of fun, it did feel bad. Seeing the hurt on his face only amplified that.

"No." She admitted quietly with a little shake of her head. The shudder at her chill was just accidental at that moment. "No I know I can trust you." She offered him a meagre smile. "You've saved my life more than once...but now..." She swallowed, "Do you understand why I'd rather die than let them take me?" She jerked her head at the rock, signifying the beach where she could hear the men from the ship laugh. "I'm sorry." 

• Sad 1

"No. No I know I can trust you. You've saved my life more than once...but now... Do you understand why I'd rather die than let them take me?"

She trusted him. He knew that, he'd known that for weeks now. She really had no other option, if she wanted to survive. But over the course of the past month, they had grown to... get along well. While she was still keeping her distance and making her demands. And now he knew why. Why she had been so upset about undressing, or getting close. Because she had not been close to a man before.

"I'm sorry." 

Lucius signed. "I understand." What the fuck was he supposed to do with the information, though? He looked at her, pale and turning blue. "You're freezing. C'mere." Holding her close while in the water was not going to do much, but they could share some heat at least.

• Sad 1

She managed a strangled smile as he said he understood. She doubted he did, but it was a comfort he didn't judge her too harshly. If they were going to go on living in this place after today then she needed him, and not keeping an arms distance. Which he wasn't, it seemed as he gestured for her to wrap himself in his arms. 

She nodded mutely and moved to stretch her arms around his shoulders, burying her face in his neck above the waterline. There were no complaints and no modesty this time. She just wanted comfort, and she was afraid. "You're not much better." She mumbled into his skin, and then repeated it closer to his hear in case he hadn't heard, her breath blowing whips of hair away from his face. "How long do we have to stay out here? I-if they move," Her teeth were beginning to chatter again, "C-can we swim back?" She was clinging to him now, but she knew she couldn't last an hour or more like this.

• Like 1

She wrapped her arms around him and he held her, still using one hand to anchor them to the rock. They were both growing cold now, but holding her meant comfort.

"How long do we have to stay out here? I-if they move. C-can we swim back?" 

He peered out from behind the rock. The pirates were making their way back up the beach now.

"If they wanted to stay, they would have brought the ship to shore." he muttered. "This island is not good for harboring. They wanted to see if they could find us, for easy pickings. They will probably take water and go... Just a little longer."

• Like 1

"Have you dealt with pirates before?" she mumbled into his neck as she gripped on. The waves were stronger now, buffeting them and pushing her back up against the rock. It hurt, but she didn't complain. They had bigger worries and she knew she'd already tested his patience more than she should. 

"You must have," She sniffed, "Sailor that you are. A-all I know is that story of Caesar, when he complained his ransom was too little and asked them to make it higher." She managed a little chuckle and winced as her back collided with the rock again. She hitched her leg over his hip to ground herself closer to him, her anchor. "I can take over." she mumbled, "You must be exhausted." Although quite how she was going to keep him from drifting away remained to be seen.

• Haha 1