A Private Celebration

Sara

He smiled softy as she placed the fibula on her palla. It was a small thing, a secret sign that they belonged together. Even when they couldn't be together. She knelt up and kissed him, and he wrapped his arms around her, kissing her back. "I'm sorry, love." he murmured, running one hand gently through her hair. He was sorry for ruining the moment, but he was also sorry for other things. Some that would never happen, even.

@Sara

• Sad 1

She kissed him softly. It was chaste compared to the kisses they'd shared full of burning need and a desire - even when Ovinia hadn't been able to name th feeling. This was different. And altogether more meaningful. She frowned, brushing her nose against his as he apologised. She felt a wrench in her chest. Me too. Because for all of the fact they couldn't be together in large part being down to the fact Lucius had abandoned his birthright he was not the one that would walk away from this into another marriage. That was all on her, and now she was twenty, the day was drawing closer. 

She swallowed and shook her head, moving her fingers to either side of his face to hold him. Her thumbs swept arches over his cheekbones. "No apologies." She murmured back, kissing him again - the faintest of touches of her lips against his. "This is our happy place, remember?" Let's both forget reality.

TAG: @Chevi

• Sad 1

He smiled a little against her lips. Happy place. Being with her, hidden away from the outside world. She held his face gently, and he felt so much love for her he could feel his heart hammering in his chest. He pulled her closer, onto his lap, hands running along her body. "What would make you happy, then?" he smiled softly, pressing a kiss to her cheek. "It is still your birthday..."

@Sara

• Like 1

"You." She chuckled. Cheap answer, but he did make her happy. She grinned as he moved her onto his lap effortlessly as if she was a feather. Her heart was beating frantically against her chest, her blood slamming in her veins. She shuddered. Dammit. 

"Would you think me a woman only interested in one thing if I said I very much enjoyed how...comfortable the bed was last time?" she said with a slow, sly smile and moved her fingers to brush his cheek again as she ducked in for a slow kiss. This was better. Much better. She wanted to enjoy this, enjoy him and bar the gates from any semblance of reality and the sorrow it would bring from getting into this haven. That was healthy...right?

FTB

Edited by Sara
  • Like 1

Some time later Lucius and Ovinia lay in bed, comfortably wrapped in a blanket. Lucius smiled as he pulled Ovinia close. Sunlight was filtering through the window; the outside world was far, far away. Holding her like this, it was bliss. He wanted to stay in it forever. "I love you." He murmured. "I wish I could marry you."

@Sara

• Like 1

Ovinia was in a cloud of contentment, curled against the chest of the man she loved, basking in the afterglow of what they'd done together. They'd kept the line they'd mutually drawn in the sand about what they could and couldn't do by the skin of their teeth. But what they had done had been more than pleasurable enough. And now they were contentedly curled - Lucius having fetched the cithara, savillum and wine.

And then the contentment was shattered with his murmured words. Ovinia's breath caught in her throat on a lump the size of the Tarp. They'd not spoken about the inevitability of her marriage - it had been the elephant lurking in the shadows of the room. Nor had they spoken about what might have been. She stilled for a moment, struggling with how to respond, her lips parted as she curled closer to his chest. When she did speak, her voice was quiet. "Me too." She moved to tug his arm around her and settled back against him, staring up at the ceiling. She didn't want to talk about it but she needed to say something. "It's getting closer for me. My father has to pay the tax now and...he's started arranging visits with suitors." It pained her as much as it undoubtedly pained him to hear. "Do you think we would have been happy? If it had worked out?" 

• Sad 1

Lucius knew he should not have said it. Reality was not welcome in their warm little cocoon. But he had to say it, because it was true. He wanted to be with her, more than just the stolen moments they had. Except, it was impossible. And with her age and her father's expectations, these moments were running out.

"Do you think we would have been happy? If it had worked out?" 

Lucius sighed. He knew they would have.

"I am happy" he murmured, holding her close. "I'm happy I met you and happy that we fell in love, and... happy we have what we have." These moments would not be taken away from them now. "But I'd also run away with you to Egypt right the fuck now if you asked."

@Sara

• Sad 1

She sighed and curled closer to his chest, a sad smile on her lips. "I would have chided you for coming home late, and prioritising your work over my parties..." She smirked. She could picture it. A domus - not large and grand like the one she lived in now - but a happy place. Full of laughter and...occasionally fire. And children. She swallowed the planet sized lump in her throat. 

"I..." She blinked tears from her eyes. He'd run away for her. She breathed deeply, exhaling the pain from her chest. "I wish we  had figured this out before you made your choice." she spoke quietly, on a whisper as if it was too painful to discuss openly. But it needed to be said. "You'd give it all up now for me but...if you hadn't taken the step down there could have been a chance...we could have...maybe..." She didn't finish the thought. They could have married. 

She tilted her face up to look at him finally, her eyes searching. "But I do not regret what we have. I am...happy too." And crushed. Utterly, utterly crushed. 

• Like 1

"No. Don't go there." he said softly as she looked up at him, tears in her eyes. He had gone there many times before. Could they have known sooner? Would it have been different? "I would have never been a good enough match in you father's eyes." Even if he sucked it up, and put the effort in...by the time he was done being a tribune, she would have been married off to someone else.

"I love you, Ovinia" he pressed a kiss to her forehead. Love and heartbreak, hand in hand. He was quiet for a while; now that they started talking about unspoken things, they might as well keep going. "Do you... think we will... see each other after you marry?"

@Sara

• Like 1

She swallowed the thought: you might have been. It was a small hope, but he might have been. Had she put her foot down and extolled his virtues - one day her father might have acquiesced to her choice. But that time had come and gone. She blinked tears away although a couple of errant ones slipped down her cheeks. She gripped the hand that held her waist and turned back to face the window. 

"I love you too." She said although upset was clear in her voice. She did love him, and it was agonising that she did. She oscillated being crushed that she'd ever met him, ever felt like this and then overjoyed at the love and light he'd brought into her life. She didn't want it to end. She didn't want to answer  that question. She swallowed. "We have some time. We don't have to talk about it n-now." She breathed and gripped his hand.

• Sad 1

Lucius turned, wrapping her in a hug from behind. He could feel the tension in her, and he new that she was crying. There was nothing he could say to make it any better, so he just held her instead, burying his face in her shoulder. He intertwined his fingers with hers. He wished they could stay like this, fall asleep like this. She didn't want to talk about these things anymore. He understood. With all the heartbreak that was in their future, she was the one who would be forced to share a bed with someone else.

@Sara

• Sad 1

Ovinia exhaled a shaky breath. She knew she shouldn't have left him hanging - she should have had the courage to answer the question but she knew if she did this would be over. She couldn't see him after she married and she knew that would mean it was over before it needed to be - before they'd eked out the last of these few stolen moments. So she stayed silent and she let him hold her in love and in care and with every bit of affection that she'd come to relish. 

"Tell me what our future would have looked like." She murmured quietly as her tears dry. "Give me that." She wanted to know what he pictured, in another life, in another world where they had been allowed to be happy. Together. 

• Sad 1

He didn't want to think about it. He'd daydreamed about her many times before; first about being with her like this, and now that they were here, the daydreams moved on to imagining a life together. But even Lucius, ever the rule-breaker and the optimist, could not find a way those could be true. But now she asked. He wanted to give her what she wanted.

"Well...  I would have had to do the service in the legions first, and I would have return all rugged." He smirked, kissing her shoulder before he settled into the story. "And then I would have been a senator, wearing a toga and everything. We would have gotten married, like a big, fancy wedding, with a whole set of fancy new jewelry for you. And I would have carried you across the threshold, and we would have stayed in bed for an entire week. Until you told me I need to go back out there and find myself some ambition, because you intend to be the greatest matron in Rome." he chuckled.

@Sara

• Like 1

She laughed. It was heart-breaking to think about but in an odd sort of way, also comforting. He could imagine a life with her as she could with him. There had been hope, or a dream at least. She listened with enthusiasm, still laughing at his quip as he kissed her shoulder. "I don't know, I'd say the vigiles is making you rugged enough." She said with a little smile and breathed as she relaxed back against his chest, staring out of the window at the late afternoon sun. Listening to the fantasy. 

She shook her head though as he finished with a chuckle. "I don't think I'd care." She admitted. "Once, probably before I met you, I would have wanted to be the most important, the greatest matron in Rome - an Augusta maybe." She chuckled, "Now..." She swallowed. Not now. In the fantasy. The dream. "But I think in that life I would have been content with what I had...although I would obviously expect you to buy me a villa of our own so we could swim and laze on the beach and I could get angry that you taught the children to swim in strong currents without my permission." She chuckled. Children. They had such similar colouring and features their children - dream children - would probably be the spit of each of them. 

She shifted and their hands - intertwined - caught on the scar on her hip. He'd never mentioned the long, still pink scar that ran the length of her shoulder blade nor the smaller more uneven line on her hip. She found she didn't care that he saw them.

• Sad 1

"And I would point out that I wouldn't let you swim either if you did not know how to navigate the currents." Lucius chuckled, smiling against her shoulder. Somehow, against his expectations, the fantasy was... comforting. "Ovinia Camilla, swimming in wild waters for the whole world to see." This clearly was another, imaginary world.

She shifted their hands, and he felt the texture of the scar on her hip. He had seen it before, but did not mention it; he'd worried she might by shy about the scars, but if anyone knew about them, it was him. He pressed a kiss to her shoulder blade, above the other scar. "We would have had a brood of children. And I would have lost my mind worrying for all of you all the time."

@Sara

• Like 1

She chuckled and shook her head, turning her face up to give him an amused look. "Oh don't be ridiculous, the villa I'd make you buy me would have a private cove, love." Smirking she settled back again and turned her attention to the window as he continued to speak. She felt his kiss on her shoulder blade and shuddered - he had evidently read her mind. Or sensed the slight tensing in her movements. 

"Three boys and two girls." She said confidently. "And the girls would take after you - brave and charismatic but idealistic, and the boys would take after me - serious, cold and proud?" She chuckled and let out a deep soft sigh. "Maybe we would have lived abroad - Hispania, or Achaea or somewhere else entirely." 

• Like 1

"Oh don't be ridiculous, the villa I'd make you buy me would have a private cove, love." 

Lucius laughed at that. It was a warm laugh, happiness of the moment winning over things to come.

"Three boys and two girls. And the girls would take after you - brave and charismatic but idealistic, and the boys would take after me - serious, cold and proud? Maybe we would have lived abroad - Hispania, or Achaea or somewhere else entirely." 

"Serious, cold, and proud?" Lucius echoed, grinning as he nipped at her shoulder. "Out there, maybe." When alone, Ovinia was actually a lot warmer than she liked people to believe. 

@Sara

• Haha 1

She chuckled. "True. I'm not being so serious right now." Granted, she could also be light and amusing and flirtatious when in polite company - she had made an excellent study of how to be a joy to her parents and a charming addition to the social scene. It did get exhausting though - being witty but not sharp, flirtatious but proper, clever but not intimidating. It was why she tended to...lash out when in private. It should have been seen as a badge of honour though; to be subject to Ovinia's tempers suggested you were close to her. She didn't lash out in public after all. 

She let out a heavy sigh, drawing in the contentment she felt at the dream. Even if on the other side of the coin it was heartbreaking. "I still don't know why you like me." She murmured. "Awful as I have been to you." 

• Sad 1

"I feel like you have asked me something like that before" Lucius murmured, holding her close. "Although... the exact words were I don't know why I want you."

It felt like a lifetime ago, and it had barely been a few months. Saturnalia, the first time he'd kissed her. He'd never forget that day.

"And I love you because... you are you. Deep down, when no one is looking, you are warm, and kind, and loving. And cute." he added with a chuckle.

@Sara

• Like 1

She chuckled. "Yes but now I've figured out why I like you." She smiled to herself, not expanding on that. He'd have to dig for it if he wanted an answer - but for now she was happy to be washed back to Saturnalia. The desperation she felt for him. Because of him. It hadn't gone away. She'd never, ever forget that night. "You know that was the first proper kiss I ever had." She murmured quietly, still smiling to herself.

Although the smile turned to a frown as he articulated the reasons he liked her. She glanced up, giving him a curious look. "...cute?" 

• Like 1

"You know that was the first proper kiss I ever had." 

"And it was quite amazing" he smiled, remembering it. For a first proper kiss, she had really made the most of it. He grinned as she looked up, pressing a kiss to her nose. He shifted so he could look down at her. "Yes. Darn cute. But now, you have to tell me why you like me. Your turn."

@Sara

• Like 1

"Which one?" She quirked a brow, tilting her head to watch him in amusement and as he shifted - she shifted too so she was laying horizontal, her head on his lap as she peered up at him. "The one in the crowd? The one against the wall? The one as we were leaving?" She smirked. They certainly hadn't been...restrained. Which had been fine for her. 

"I..." She blinked. "I'm not sure anybody has ever described me as...cute." she flushed a little, her cheeks turning pink. Cold and aloof of course, beautiful maybe...not...cute. She cleared her throat and gave him a smug smile as she looked up at him. "I don't have to tell you shit." 

• Haha 1

"Which one? The one in the crowd? The one against the wall? The one as we were leaving?"

"Yes." he grinned a she shifted, sitting up against the headboard. He would never forget any of them. The one in the crowd being their very first. And the kisses against the wall that had haunted his dreasm for months.

"I... I'm not sure anybody has ever described me as...cute."

"Well, probably not many people have seen you when you are being cute." he pointed out. Definitely none in this particular position.

"I don't have to tell you shit." 

Lucius rolled his eyes. "Don't you think it's a bit too late to play coy now?" He gestured between the two of them; her naked, and him almost naked. Having done what they had just done.

@Sara

• Haha 1

She smirked at him. "Am I being cute right now?" She chuckled, shaking her head, trying to imagine what he saw in her that was cute. But he was soon distracted, as was she as he pressed. She chuckled, still flushed, and pulled the sheet up higher until just her head was showing as she peered up at him.

"I'm a proper Roman maiden, excuse you." But she was teasing him, but that was only fair given she felt on the brunt of his jokes more often than not. "If I said it's because of your lovely face and great arms, would that satisfy you?" 

• Haha 1

"You are being cute." Lucius conceded as she pulled the sheets up to cover herself. She seemed genuinely delighted by the idea. Proper Roman maiden... well, she was two of those three things. He grinned at her comment about his face and arms. "I'll take it. Who am I to complain if a proper Roman maiden finds me decorative?"

@Sara

• Haha 1