Lexus had gone to the bathhouse, as instructed by his mother. He knew he ought to be a proper Roman citizen and go more often, but sometimes it bored him and looking at older, naked and not always trimmed men did not really spark his fancy. More the opposite. But he’d gone and now he was clean and smelled nice. His brown hair was still slightly tousled, although he did comb it with his fingers, but he felt he was almost shining… although he probably wasn’t.

Now he had the rest of the day to just… do something. Maybe he should visit one of the temples that Phaedo showed him? No, it would be weird going alone. Lexus was not a very religious young man – it was interesting and all that, but he didn’t buy all of it. Some of the stories and some of the things you did for the gods seemed weird and so far-fetched, that he’d think… why should it matter to them, if they control our lives anyway? Will they even care? So no, maybe he should not go to a temple today. But then what?

Somehow he’d found himself wandering into the vast area of the Forum Romanum. There were several fora here, built by different emperors who wanted to leave something to be remembered by. It was very shining and clean here, a beautiful area of Rome.

There was the Basilica Julia, where the praetors sat and where tons of other things were decided and judged and handled. And over there was the Curia Julia, where the senate would sit and discuss important business of Rome. Lexus took a few moments to just look at all the famous buildings and all the people here; the men in the white togas, their slaves, other people coming here to admire the sights. He tilted his head, trying to get a proper view at a certain temple here and took a few steps backwards to see it properly. What he didn’t notice was the lectica carried by four slaves behind him.

By accident, he tripped one of them as he walked backwards, not looking where he was going. The slave fell over and the whole party fell down… including the lectica, which probably carried some wealthy noble. Fuck! Lexus felt almost paralyzed, watching the scene and knowing he caused it and he did not dare to run away. What did you say when such a thing happened?

• Like 1

While March's weather was mild and warming, Rutiliana kept the curtains of her lectica closed tightly. Blocking whatever wind that would kick up as they traveled the streets of Rome. It also served the purpose of protecting her from anyone on the street. Closed, she was just another noble traveling. Opened they would see that in truth, she was the young imperial lady. The young daughter of Caesar. She was to spend her day with her cousin, since it was warming up now as spring bloomed. Bringing color and change back to the eternal city. They would shop and explore, before she ran off to join her mother at one of the schools she was due to open.

But those plans were soon going to change when she felt something jolt her lectica and she heard shouting from the men that carried her. It happened so quickly as everything shifted and the lectica tilted. Screaming in fright, she grabbed onto the wooden bits of it as it fell to the side. Uncertain on how she managed to end up setting on the curtains between opening of the wooden frame, the young woman sniffed as she tried to keep her tears at bay. She was less hurt than she was upset and as she continued to sniffle she called out for the slaves that had came with her.

Wiping tears away as they finally began to stream down her face. She wasn't sure what to do, but finally she reached up and tugged at the curtains above her, and grabbed onto the frame to pull herself up. "Are you alright?" She asked her servants as she stood, pulling her shawl around her shoulders as she looked around her, trying to see if her men were uninjured, not mindful of the crowd that was beginning to form. She hadn't even noticed the young man, the cause of the situation she was now in, more concerned of her faithful companions than anything.

• Like 2

Normally they would have traveled in the same litter together. The pair would have joked and spoke as they traveled through the streets of Rome. They would be social and were becoming the women they were born to be. Today, however, each of them took separate litters and every so often she would peek out past the curtains to look at the people of Rome. Claudia was garbed in finery, the quality of her cloth was high and she wore jewelry of a woman befitting her station in life. They were too busy going about their own lives, occasionally one would glance at the litter and all of a sudden her litter jolted to a sudden stop. She jumped on the spot, she had been about to peer out when one of her slave's said, "Pardon Domina, Domina Rutiliana's litter knocked over." 

Claudia's eyes widened in surprise, her pale arm shot out for someone to take her arm as it was lowered to assist her and the praetorian guard moved around them to keep people back from what was happening. One of the slaves took her hand and assisted her. Her cousin's litter was on the floor with Rutiliana standing and asking if her servants were alright. "Assist them," She said to her slaves, who approached and began to help Rutiliana's lift up the litter. Her arm draped around Rutiliana's shoulders to comfort her, and she wondered what could have caused this to happen? 

She looked around and saw a young man who looked rather guilty. Claudia had her suspicions although kept them to herself at the moment. He was young, and by his clothing, she thought he was one of the lower classes. After all, surely he had witnessed the whole thing? 

"You there! Did you see what happened?" She asked, stepped forward and gestured for him to approach her. Claudia smiled kindly at him to reassure him. 

@Atrice @Eris

• Like 1

He should have just run away, but it was impossible now. There was a crowd now and he realized why… this was not just any lectica he crashed, no, it was an imperial one! It belonged to someone of very high rank and he was the boy who did it all. There was no way he could run, people had seen him and he’d be brought before Caesar and punished – and it would just be worse if he ran, wouldn’t it? Because he would surely get caught in no time and it would look worse because he tried to escape.

A young and beautiful woman came out of the lectica and only focused on her own servants though, wondering if they were alright. Her cheeks were wet – this whole accident caused her to cry! How could he be so stupid and not watch where he set his foot? Then another litter stopped close by and another just as fine-looking woman left that one to go to the first one and she comforted the first young woman. And all while he was staring at it all, unable to move and completely speechless, a group of men of the cohortes urbanae arrived at the scene.

Before they could get to Lexus though, the second appearing woman approached Lexus with a kind smile and wondered if he saw what happened. Alright, so if he was just honest, perhaps he would not be thrown into the arena before the lions or something like it… right? Maybe? 

“I…” He trailed off, insanely nervous, “It was me, Domina. It’s my fault. I saw what happened because I did it. I’m very sorry. Really. Very very sorry, I didn’t mean to do anything. Is she hurt?” Oh he hoped she wasn’t, that would just make it worse. How stupid could he be?

@Gothic @Eris

• Like 1

Gently one of the men had lifted her out of the fallen litter so she could be moved safely out of the way as they were helped to ready it correctly. And to give it a once over to see if any damaged had been caused, now that it had been clear to them that Rutiliana was unarmed, albeit shaken by the ordeal. She began to calm once she was certain none of her companions were harmed, and made mental note to herself to inform her father that they were not at fault should word reach him of what happened. 

"There's no need to fuss... I'm unharmed, I promise Cousin." She said softly as Claudia came to her, the young girl sinking into the embrace for a moment, needing the comfort. Then her walls slammed back up when she noticed a crowd the moment her cousin's warmth had left beside her, Claudia now stepping towards a young man not much older than Rutiliana herself, but clearly of a lower class. Not that she had been raised with much vanity about the classes. Mother would never allow her to think little of others. 

Her eyes, however, widen when the boy admitted it was his fault. Surely it must have been an accident. He didn't seem the type to be an assassin or anything of the sorts. "I am quite alright." She said, louder than before, her voice betraying her not. It was loud and clear and firm that she was unharmed. "There is not a scratch upon me, accidents happen." 

• Like 2

She could not help but be protective over the one she saw as her little sister. Claudia could not help but smile when Rutiliana sank into the embrace briefly before she had gone to address Lexus. 

Claudia listened to him. The Princess was surprised and admittedly did not expect for him to give such an honest answer. Many would have been too scared of punishment to do so or would have tried to gain something from the experience. Usually something in the form of coin. He had not asked for anything from either of them. Rutiliana didn't appear to be hurt. "It would appear not," She answered in response to his question. Especially after her cousin's not-so-subtle admittance that she was unharmed. That was one thing that was sorted, now, all that was left was what to do with the young man. He looked absolutely terrified, and she did not blame him for that either. 

Now, what to do with him

The praetorians began to quietly move around the two women, their litters and the foolish yet handsome youth in order to keep the crowd at bay. The people were mostly curious at this point rather than hostile or angry. Experience had taught them to be careful. 

No harm had been done, and it was important for them to appear graceful yet not be flippant when it came to their security. She beckoned him to come closer with her hand. "Come, what is your name? And why on earth were you in such a hurry to not notice an Imperial litter?" Claudia asked, a playful and cheeky glimmer in her eyes. 

@Atrice @Eris

• Like 1

At least it didn’t look as if the lectica was broken or anything, just tipped over and the young lady inside seemed unharmed too, but you never knew. Lexus felt so bad about this. She was so beautiful and she was probably related to Caesar himself. The same with the other young woman. He’d made a fool of himself and all because he couldn’t help but wonder at everything. One of the young ladies, the one whose lectica he hadn’t knocked over, had then asked him what happened and he confessed right away.

The young lady confessed she was quite alright and there was not a scratch upon her.

“It was a stupid accident though. I should have looked where I was walking.” Lexus replied, he felt his cheeks were warm, he was probably blushing with embarrassment over his own stupidity. The second young woman then beckoned him closer and how could he not come when she asked? He took a closer look at her. She was definitely far from ordinary. None of them were. Their clothes, their hair, their entire expression and appearance… he understood why you were meant to more or less worship the imperials. She asked for his name and why he did what he did.

“I wasn’t in a hurry. I just wanted a better look at that.” He pointed up at the nearest temple, not even aware of which god or goddess it was for, he just knew the building was impressive, “I’m Lexus Naevius Gineverus, Your Highness. Let me know what I can do to apologize for what I’ve done. How can I make it up to you again?” He asked, looking at both of them. If anyone had ever wondered and asked him, he’d have said that no way, he’d never ever meet someone of the imperial family and talk to them. But here he was.

@Gothic @Eris

• Like 1

"But an accident, none the less." Rutiliana stressed once more as the young man stressed that it had been a stupid accident. That's all that it was, it could be have been anything, anyone. It could have been worse, but it wasn't. Her lectica was hole, her servants and guards unharmed, and outside of her bruised ego she was fine. 

"We do not need to do anything to him, Claudia." She whispered loudly to her cousin. There was no need for this to go further than the gathered crowd. Even if she knew it might get back to her parents. It was a simple matter, handled by them with his apology. That was good enough for her. She didn't want her father getting involved with something that was an accident. 

"Your apology suffices." She said, making sure her tone was firm enough for the guards to hear and back off of the young man, but kind enough to hopefully not startle the already worried boy. He gave his name and she muttered it a few times to herself, imprinting it into her mind. So she could remember it for the future, if her fancy found itself wanting to check in on him. 

Edited by Eris
  • Like 1