13th of October, during the festival Fontinalia

The Piscina Publica were public swimming grounds and luckily placed not very far from their home. And this was quite lucky on a day like today – it was, after all, Fontinalia and it was the day of celebration for Fons, the god of wells and springs. Septima Major was out with her sister, Minor, to celebrate the day. They’d spent the last few days on preparing a most beautiful garland out of flowers and grasses and leaves and now it was done and ready to be hung on a fountain near the Piscina Publica on this very day.

Septima Major was excited – she loved festivals like these and could barely wait with going out. Maybe she spent a little too long getting ready. Septima Minor had been ready for a while, before Major finally decided she was done too. She wore a very pretty, bright green chiton with a yellow and red palla over it. Her hair had been done up on her head, with twirls and curls and a few yellow flowers and green leaves added to the style. It went very well with her pretty blue eyes. On her feet were simple slippers.

They carried the garland together on their way to the fountain. She gave her sister a smile, after she’d waved to a few people she knew on the way – Septima knew many people and she liked to talk to people and make new friends, “Oh I hope someone else didn’t already decorate the fountain we decided on. It’s going to look so pretty, isn’t it?” Septima Major said with an excited tone, “I wonder if there’s going to be music too. And maybe someone set up a shop that sells food and drinks? We could stay a little while.” She suggested with a smile, “Oh, do you think anyone’ swimming in the pools today? That would be interesting.”

@Chevi 

Edited by Atrice
  • Like 1

Fontinalia was one of the holidays Septima Minor enjoyed. She was devoted to the gods of Rome, as well as the gods that now belonged to Rome from Egypt, but that did not mean she was comfortable with all the rites and celebrations that went with them. She enjoyed her peace and quiet, and tended to get nervous in large crowds - and Rome, even on a good day, was the definition of a large crowd. Sometimes, devotion and excitement carried her on, while other times she felt like never leaving the house (Lupercalia was one of those times). 

Fontinalia was a good one.

The would have been out at the Piscina hours ago, if it had not been for Thalia trying to look her very best. As if she had to try. While the two sisters looked very much alike (except for the eyes), Thalia didn't really have to try to look good; she was effortlessly stunning in a way Septima Minor never quite grasped. Today, she was content with a buttercup-colored dress and a matching palla that she let her sister pick out for her for the festivities. Her hair was pinned up in a simple way, decorated with an abundance of flowers. Septima Minor liked flowers. They were fascinating.

“Oh I hope someone else didn’t already decorate the fountain we decided on. It’s going to look so pretty, isn’t it?” 

"Very" she smiled at her sister over the abundance of colors and scents that the garland represented. It was beautiful work from flowers freshly picked.

“I wonder if there’s going to be music too. And maybe someone set up a shop that sells food and drinks? We could stay a little while. Oh, do you think anyone’ swimming in the pools today? That would be interesting.”

"You mean men?" Clio ventured with a chuckle. She knew her excitable sister all too well. "I bet they will be. Don't let them catch you looking, though." There were already a lot of people around the Piscina. Some fountains were already decorated with flowers and garlands, and people seemed to have the same cheerful anticipation as the twins. "You know, these used to be the sacred fountains of Rome before the first aqueducts were built..."

@Atrice

• Like 1

It wasn’t that Septima hadn’t wanted her sister to be dressed up in something more colorful and vibrant – but she knew that her sister didn’t like that and preferred to be more down-to-Earth and not quite so noticeable. So she’d picked that dress with the matching palla… but made sure she was well-decorated with flowers too. Together they now carried the garland they made together and Septima was, as usual, chatty on the way to the fountain.

Clio, as she sometimes called her sister, agreed it would look very pretty and then Septima went on about how she hoped it would all be. Her sister naturally knew exactly what she meant, when she wondered if anyone were swimming in the pools.

“I’m not sure I’m very good at being discrete.” Septima said with a laugh, when Clio warned her to not catch them looking. She smiled at everyone they passed and then her sister of course had to mention some of the history behind the fountains they’d arrived at. She knew Clio was like a wandering scroll of knowledge and sometimes, what she talked about was kind of boring, but sometimes, it was interesting. Like now.

“Really? Sacred fountains, hm… do you think they’re still sacred? Can they cure the sick… or are they sacred in another way? I wonder why they are not sacred anymore. Where did the... sacredness go, if they are not sacred anymore?” Septima mused, wondering how something could be sacred at one point and then suddenly, not sacred anymore. She looked around, “I can’t imagine Rome without the aqueducts. They’re everywhere!”

@Chevi

Edited by Atrice
  • Like 1

“I’m not sure I’m very good at being discrete.” 

Thalia knew herself, and Clio knew her sister. She was friendly and attractive, and did not have to do much to draw attention even when he was not trying. She was definitely the more popular of the two of them; Clio tended to get lost in her own thoughts, and put on a thinking face that made most interested parties retreat.

“Really? Sacred fountains, hm… do you think they’re still sacred? Can they cure the sick… or are they sacred in another way? I wonder why they are not sacred anymore. Where did the... sacredness go, if they are not sacred anymore?... I can’t imagine Rome without the aqueducts. They’re everywhere!”

Clio chuckled at her sister's questions. Thalia was generally patient with her historian ambitions, but not terribly interested, unless a topic came up on occasion that somehow caught her fancy.

"The first one was built almost four hundred years ago." she noted, almost without thinking "By Appius Claudius Caecus. And no, I don't think they are still sacred, otherwise people would not be swimming in them for fun. But, to an extent, every water is sacred, of course." she nodded at the wreath they were carrying. Fontinalia was all about celebrating the fountains of Rome, after all. And celebrating they did; as they got closer to the Piscina, someone called out in Greek, and splashed some water their way.

@Atrice

• Like 1