The hunt begins

Chevi

Alexius nodded, that was how it had to be like... the attacker liked that they feared him. But was that all? You didn't have to cut someone to make them fear you, so it had to be something about that too. But they had to find out more, had to see if they could come closer to whom it might be. Gods if he got his hands on that scoundrel! He'd rather catch him now than later, it was often annoying that things took time! And right now it was the morning after yet another Saturnalia night, so many people would be hungover and probably still sleeping.

They'd have to find Jason and to find Jason, they'd have to find this Tiberius. That's when Lucius admitted that he knew Tiberius... and that this particular Tiberius was brother to the emperor. Alexius' eyes widened for a moment. Lucius really got around, didn't he? Born to a patrician family, joined the vigiles, knew Ovinia from before (he was convinced there was still more to this tale) and now he also knew the emperor's brother? 

"You sure do get around, don't you? Among high and low!" Alexius said with a grin, although honestly, it wasn't that much different from his own life. He got around too. A lot. Did Lucius live his life the same way? Back to the hunt though, or investigation?

"But I suppose we can't tell him... Tiberius, I mean... about what happened to Ovinia? You think she'd want that? It's Jason we need, not Tiberius." Alexius honestly didn't think Ovinia would want any Imperial to know this.

@Chevi

• Haha 1

"You sure do get around, don't you? Among high and low!" 

Lucius quirked an eyebrow at Alexius. That sounded... well, it didn't sound like an accusation, anyway. And his story was a bit complicated. But it was the last thing he wanted to start explaining right now. Also, Alexius did not look entirely convinced about what he'd said about Ovinia. Dammit, the bodyguard was perceptive.

"But I suppose we can't tell him... Tiberius, I mean... about what happened to Ovinia? You think she'd want that? It's Jason we need, not Tiberius."

"No, we can't." He was determined about keeping his promise to Ovinia. More than anything, because she had the most to lose. "But there have been other victims. If there is a madman on the lose, whoever the victims are, he will help, if we ask. But let's talk to Jason first." He finished his wine, and glanced out the window. "Let's just hope we find him at home... Damn Saturnalia, making everything worse." he muttered.

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius didn't know what that eyebrow was for, what he said was true, wasn't it? He wasn't very good at lying anyway, so of course it was true. Lucius said nothing to it though and Alexius mused about finding this Imperial Tiberius and telling him what happened to Ovinia. Lucius agreed they could not tell him, but they could tell about the other victims. Jason first though. Lucius then cursed Saturnalia.

"Hey... Lucius." Alexius said, not fond of that. He knew Lucius was just upset, but it was still bad enough to curse an entire festival and the god behind it, for what happened to Ovinia. Besides, this clearly didn't only happen at Saturnalia... "It's not everything that's worse. Don't blame an entire festival for what one madman did." He poured a bit more wine into Lucius' cup, "I'm sure that now it's not just me, but there's more of us looking. We'll find him. And end him." It had been a while since he seriously wanted to kill someone, it rarely happened at all, but this time, the man deserved it. 

@Chevi

• Like 1

He was mostly talking to himself, not paying attention to what he said out loud. Alexius did not seem to like the sentiment, but at least he was not rude about it.

"Hey... Lucius. It's not everything that's worse. Don't blame an entire festival for what one madman did." 

Lucius sighed. He was not blaming the attack on Saturnalia. The festival had started out... in a much better way. But it was going to make the investigation a lot more difficult. No one was where they were supposed to be, everyone was drunk, and everything was on fire, which meant he could only get away to investigate with his centurion's permission for a few hours at a time.

"I'm sure that now it's not just me, but there's more of us looking. We'll find him. And end him." 

Lucius nodded, drinking some more wine. At least they were on the same page about that.

"It's just not fair, that something like this happened to her..." he said. On Saturnalia. Not that it would have been better any other day of the year, but Ovinia being attacked so soon after... what happened between the two of them, it hurt. Because he wanted to console her, and he was not allowed to. He took a deep breath. "Let's go. I only have a few hours before I have to report back to the barracks."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Lucius seemed awfully concerned for a woman, who was just his friend and who might have married his brother. He downed more wine, saying it wasn't fair that this happened to her. Alexius agreed, "It isn't fair that this happens to anyone. Not to Ovinia and not to anyone else. It wasn't fair to the prostitute who had to endure his treatment more than once either. No one deserves that." Alexius said, "Except maybe the animal himself." He added, because seriously, he deserved it all and much more than that. 

"Alright." Alexius downed the rest of his wine and stood, "Oh, mind waiting a moment or two? I think I need a clean tunic... and maybe a weapon." Just in case. He didn't need one, but it was nice having it. He didn't wait for an answer though, but removed the tunic as he walked towards his own bed. There was no embarrassment even though the undressing revealed his body with all the scars he didn't care to think about anymore. He wasn't shy and didn't have time to consider them. Alexius tossed the used wine-smelling tunic onto the bed and picked a clean one from the storage by the end of his bed. He also picked a small knife, one he could claim was for food, and stuck that into his belt. So soon he was well-dressed again and picked up the cloak, "Shall we go to the Palatine then?" 

@Chevi

• Like 2

"It isn't fair that this happens to anyone. Not to Ovinia and not to anyone else. It wasn't fair to the prostitute who had to endure his treatment more than once either. No one deserves that. Except maybe the animal himself." 

"Yeah. I know." Lucius frowned. It was not fair to anyone, but he did not know the other victims. Yet. He made another note about the prostitute. They would have to go talk to them too. If the man went back more than once, they were bound to know something.

"Alright. Oh, mind waiting a moment or two? I think I need a clean tunic... and maybe a weapon." 

Before Lucius could agree, Alexius was already out of his tunic, getting changed. The man had the body of a gladiator, for sure. Also, no qualms about undressing in front of Lucius. Granted, Lucius was much occupied with... basically everything else that was happening. The mention of a weapon surprised him, though, even though it was just a knife.

"Shall we go to the Palatine then?" 

"Let's start there." Lucius nodded, leading the way out of the apartment, back to the street, and towards the Palatine. They had no time to waste.

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius now knew far too many people who had been attacked by the animal with the knife and the scented oil. Lucius knew only one, but that didn't mean it was fair to all the others. Lucius agreed with a frown and Alexius then agreed with him, that they should go out and find Jason. First he wanted to get some nicer clothes on, if they were going to the Palatine, he was not wearing the tunica from last night, in which he drank plenty of wine and made out, before dropping everything. Some he quickly changed, even brought a knife, just in case. He didn't know if they'd locate the attacker today. But he wanted to be prepared.

Lucius led the way out of the simple flat, into the somewhat empty streets of Rome - the sun had risen, but it was still morning. It felt odd, going through the city with one of the vigiles, even though he claimed he wasn't here on vigile business. They helped people, but they weren't always popular. Silence had fallen between them and Alexius felt it a little awkward. He glanced at Lucius, still curious. 

"So... if you don't mind sharing... why did a Patrician leave his fancy, luxurious life to join the vigiles? Not that there's anything wrong with it... I just can't help but wonder." 

@Chevi

• Like 1

Lucius smiled a little. He knew the question was coming, and now that they were in motion, working towards a clear goal, he had the capacity to answer it.

"Well... I never had interest in politics, like my brother. Our father died... in the civil war, so I grew up at the villa while my brother was away in Britannia. According to the entire family, I probably spent too much time with the plebs to begin with. I liked it that way." he smiled a little, shrugging. "I have been putting off starting the cursus honorum because honestly I did not want to be a senator. Or a lawyer, which was the other option. I just... liked helping people, talking to them, being in the City."

This early in the morning, on a Saturnalia, with most people passed out drunk, the city really was a nice, mostly quiet place. Especially in the winter sunshine.

"One day I ran into the vigiles rescuing people from a burning insula. I... went in to help, which was incredibly dumb. But I've never... felt like that before. Like I was doing something that mattered. So I convinced my brother to find me an equites family. Because vigiles officers can't be patricians. So, I am one rank down now, and working my way up from being a recruit. and I like it." he smiled a little. "Although Ovinia almost took my head off for the decision."

@Atrice

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He did say earlier that it was a long story... and it was, it seemed. Alexius was luckily a good listener, there were actually often times where he should listen and not talk. So he let Lucius talk, going through his whole story about how he ended up with the vigiles. It was interesting. He had no interest in politics, he enjoyed spending time with lower classes and he liked helping people. Alexius smiled a little. Except that he came from the other direction - he began in Rome as a slave and had since gained a higher rank - it would seem they had similar interests apart from Ovinia and hunting down criminals.

"That's good... that you like doing what you do. I'm amazed you went through with it. Most people from the higher classes wouldn't be so brave. No offense." He added with a smile, thinking about all the people who had dreams they never went through with. Like Ovinia, for example. He was quite sure she had dreams besides marrying and having a bunch of kids. But she didn't dare to give into them, which was understandable. That didn't make it less sad though.

"I like helping people too. As you can probably imagine, since it's how I met Ovinia. I like keeping people safe." And it was a better purpose for his skills than fighting for entertainment, as he'd done in the arena. Now he put it all to good use instead. And now it would really come to good use, once he got his hands onto that beast that attacked Ovinia and the others.

@Chevi

• Haha 1

It was strange, to share his entire story with someone he'd just met, but Lucius did not want to hide it. Alexius and him were in this whole thing together now, and that needed trust. And trust needed them knowing each other better.

"That's good... that you like doing what you do. I'm amazed you went through with it. Most people from the higher classes wouldn't be so brave. No offense." 

"None taken. I agree. Although they'd say I'm an idiot, rather than brave." he chuckled. That's what Ovinia had said, anyway.

"I like helping people too. As you can probably imagine, since it's how I met Ovinia. I like keeping people safe." 

Lucius nodded. That was good. They had that in common.

"You... used to be a gladiator, right? You won your freedom?"

@Atrice

• Like 1

Alexius smiled again at Lucius' words, "Don't listen to them, they don't know what it's like, clearly. I think you're brave. Here, well anywhere really... it takes guts to do something you're not supposed to do. Doing the opposite of what your family wants... because it's what you want... is brave." Alexius said, because that's what he thought. So many people would not step out of the lives they were born into, because they didn't want to fall from grace. But Lucius chose to do it anyway. If that wasn't bravery, what was? 

He explained that he liked helping people too and Lucius then naturally wanted to learn more about Alexius. He nodded.

"I did... or, it was given to me, by my master back then. I was freed and made lanista of the ludus I used to belong to. It wasn't for me though. They let me leave." Usually, a freedman would stay and still serve the master who freed him, but he got along well enough with Octavianus back then and he was a very understanding man. Much more than many other ludii owners. So when the lanista job didn't work out for him, he was given his full freedom.

@Chevi

• Like 1

Lucius smiled at Alexius' approval of his choices. As much as patricians hated him for it, he still believed it was the right choice to make. It was good that at least someone on the other side saw it as bravery. He decided he liked Alexius. Who had his own story to tell.

"So... you left too, and chose something else" he noted with a smile. And now he was a bodyguard, instead of training other slaves to fight and die in the arena. Lucius approved of that choice too. "Well, at least one of us knows how to fight. In case we need to take that monster down ourselves..." Maybe not, if the vigiles got their act together. But he doubted it. And he kind of wanted to do it himself. "I promised Ovinia he would suffer."

@Atrice

• Like 1

Why would he not approve of someone, who had been born and raised as a Roman, a Patrician even, but decided to break away because it was what he wanted? Instead of just following what everyone else did, even if it didn't feel right? Lucius broke out. And he liked what he did now. Shouldn't that be what mattered most? That you would feel comfortable with your life, no matter what you did?

Lucius naturally asked into Alexius' story and he told it briefly. Lucius pointed out that Alexius did the same as he did and he nodded, "I did. Besides, suddenly being the one who has to order my old comrades around... it never felt right, you know?" They had all felt weird about it. Achillia, who almost had his child, had not been freed. Agapetus seemed to accept it well, but he also found new friends. It never felt right. But it was all a long time ago now. Lucius moved on about how Alexius knew how to fight and said he'd promised Ovinia the man would suffer.

"If he puts up a fight, we're going to have to defend ourselves." Alexius said with a wink, he was definitely not against the idea of taking down the attacker. Make him suffer before he died... but Lucius didn't know how to fight? "And if you want to learn, I'll gladly spar with you, teach you a little." 

@Chevi

• Like 1

Once again, they understood each other. If the murderer put up a fight, they would have an excuse to take him down. Preferably in a very, very painful manner. Lucius knew it would not fix what had happened to Ovinia; she would live with that for the rest of her life. But at least, once the man was gone, she could feel safe again. 

"I will take you up on that" he nodded, as they made their way across the Forum and towards the stairs to the Palatine. "I have taken some lessons, from a Praetorian I know, but... turns out fighting is very different when you're with the vigiles and you can't carry weapons."

@Atrice

• Like 1

They were coming closer to the Palatine, walking and talking as they were. Time often went faster when you did something and they were both fit enough to be able to both walk and talk. Lucius seemed to like the idea of sparring with Alexius. He explained he'd taken some lessons from a Praetorian, but fighting in the streets was different than it was with weapons. Alexius nodded.

"Actually it's not that different. You can use many of the same techniques with just your body. It's all a matter of skill, but I imagine a Praetorian would prefer fighting with his weapon rather than without. Anyway... I'll teach you." Alexius promised and looked up at the great Colosseum as they walked by the area. He'd never fought there himself, as it had been completed long after he was freed. From the Colosseum the way to the Palatine wasn't very long.

@Chevi

• Like 1

"Thank you" Lucius knew he needed the training. The vigiles were teaching him how to handle fires, but unlike the urban cohorts they were not trained in combat. And he needed to know how to fight. Not just for this one maniac they were about to face, but no doubt for the long line of other maniacs that were in his future...

They walked past the amphitheater, and up the stairs to the Palatine. He'd been there before, as a guest, but not since his fall from grace. For now, he did not want to be a guest, but they did need to find and talk to this Jason. As they reached the guards at the gates, Lucius glanced at Alexius before announcing himself.

"Lucius Vipsanius Roscius" he gave his old name, because it probably still carried some recognition. Or a sense of familiarity, anyway. They could see the rest from the vigiles uniform. "We need to talk to a body slave named Jason. It's urgent. If his master asks, tell him my name, he'll know me."

@Atrice @Sharpie

• Like 2

It was still Saturnalia. Mercifully; Jason wasn't at all sure he could perform at his usual level today. Azarion had been right, it had indeed been the good stuff that they'd had yesterday, but he was feeling the after-effects of it now. He was brought back to almost sobriety when a fellow slave came to tell his master that a couple of men were asking to see him, and one of them seemed to be from the Vigiles.

He couldn't think what he might have done - anyway, he hadn't had much of a chance to do anything, especially not anything that would come to the attention of the Vigiles. It wasn't as if smoking hemp was against the law; besides which, they'd had Tiberius with them for at least part of the time.

He grabbed a handful of almonds (he was hungry and could always have them later; if he didn't get them now they'd all be gone when he came back, judging by the way the level in the dish had drastically gone down since they'd been brought in) before straightening his tunic and heading to the anteroom where the two men had been stashed.

"My master is rather busy right now, but if you let me know what it's about, I'll make sure he gets the message," he said,  because surely it was Tiberius they wanted?

@Atrice @Chevi

• Like 2

Maybe, if Teutus someday didn't need him anymore or something else changed, he should open his own school for fighting? Not a ludus, but for anyone and everyone who wanted to be able to defend themselves. He'd taught several people how to fight already. He'd been sparring partner to both Annis and Thessala, he'd taught Didia a bit on how to fight and why not Lucius too? And anyone else who'd like to learn? He should have taught Ovinia. Maybe it could have saved her... but it was too late now. And that's why they were here, at the palace gates.

He stood half a step behind Lucius, since Lucius was known here. They were invited inside to wait for this Jason and Alexius tried to not look too curious. It was a massive place. This was just one tiny part of it. Why did anyone need so much living space? When others had so little... and didn't really need more. Before he could think further though, a young slave stepped in and spoke of his master being busy.

"You're Jason, Tiberius' slave?" Alexius asked. The younger man didn't look like much. Not very tall, but with handsome eyes. How had he been able to help Ovinia? "If so, it is you we need to speak to." 

@Chevi @Sharpie

• Like 2

The young slave appeared soon; they waited for him just inside the door in the vestibulum. Lucius wondered if Tiberius would make an appearance too - if the vigiles wanted to question his body slave, he had every right to - but instead, Jason came alone. 

"My master is rather busy right now, but if you let me know what it's about, I'll make sure he gets the message," 

"You're Jason, Tiberius' slave? If so, it is you we need to speak to." 

Lucius nodded at Alexius' words. So, this was the young man who found Ovinia and took her home... Thank the gods he had been there to help. According to Ovinia, he swore and oath to keep the secret.

"Is there a private place where we can speak?" he asked, glancing back at the guards.

@Sharpie @Atrice

• Like 2

"I haven't done anything," he said. Why it took two of them was beyond him - they were both taller than him, though the taller one hung back a bit. The shorter one, in the uniform of the vigiles, had a patrician accent not too dissimilar to Tiberius' - speaking of Tiberius, they couldn't do anything to Jason without his permission. It wasn't much protection, but it was at least something.

Somewhere private - as though a slave had free run of the palace and its various rooms and corridors for his own use.

As it was, he did know somewhere they could talk - if they didn't mind using the service corridors and slave entrances to get there. They would both have to duck some of the low lintels, but he wasn't about to lead them through the family part of the Domus Augustorum.

If it was anything serious, going via the service corridors would at least let him tell a fellow slave to alert Tiberius as to where they were, which ended up being a private room open to one of the palace's gardens on one side. There were seats, if they wanted to sit. He'd stand, either way - he knew his place here in Rome.

@Atrice @Chevi

• Like 2

Jason seemed worried. It took a few moments before he realized it was for the same reason as Alexius had been worried, when Lucius asked for him. After all, he was dressed in the clothes of a vigiles. Alexius had been hesitant too. But he'd almost forgotten that, after they talked and shared wine. Wine was good for a lot of things. One of them was for making new friends. 

"We know." Alexius said and then Jason led them both away from the vestibule and further into the palace. Through service corridors and small doors, way too small for Alexius. This had to be the slave's area, the Imperials would never see this at all. At last they came into a room that was open to one of the gardens. It was quite nice here, Alexius thought. And there were so many secret places here. 

He felt it was Lucius that was going to lead this conversation though, as he was the one who spoke to Ovinia, who mentioned Jason. Alexius wasn't sure if he should sit or stand. Jason was a slave. Lucius was not. But they were not here to speak to Jason as a slave, but as someone who knew something. And they weren't here on official business either... "Why don't we sit down? Lucius, tell him why we're here." Alexius said then, he didn't want Jason to worry more than he already had.

@Sharpie @Chevi

• Like 2

Of course Jason thought he was being accused of something. Lucius recalled his conversations with Titus about how slaves, and former slaves, saw the world differently. He was glad Alexius came along. He could probably smooth things out if Lucius walked into something he was not supposed to.

Jason led them along the back corridors into a room that was comfortable, and seemed private. It opened to the gardens, which reminded Lucius of the party he had attended. Seemed like a lifetime ago...

"Why don't we sit down? Lucius, tell him why we're here." 

"Yes, please, sit." Lucius nodded, taking a seat too. "We are here because we need your help. Ovinia sent us... she told me you found her, after she had been attacked. And that we could trust you. We are trying to catch the man who'd done that to her... and others. She told me you also knew someone... a brother?... who had been attacked. We need all the information we can get."

@Sharpie @Atrice

• Like 3

They could sit, they were free men and citizens (or something like it). Jason was not, irksome though it was. He let out a long breath at the reassurance, letting the tension and worry bleed away; he'd been sure they were here to arrest him (or confiscate him or something).

"I never mentioned her name," he said. He'd barely had a chance to mention the attack at all - he'd been out on his own when he found her, and then he'd been practically sent out the next day, when he'd met up with Cinnia and Azarion and then his master had bumbled along and joined them - the hemp had been really good, though he was definitely hungry now, and his mouth felt dry.

"My cousin," he said, and took a breath. "That was..." He looked up to the corner of the room, calculating. "A month and a half ago, two months ago, something like that."

He sounded half incoherent and took another breath, looking between the two visitors. "My cousin is a charioteer for the Whites. As best as I know, he came across a man outside their stable and there was... some sort of run-in or something, I don't know, and my cousin got his arm cut." He gave them an apologetic shrug. "I only found out the next day because the, uh, leader sent for me - my cousin can't talk, they needed someone to translate his signs. They wanted a description." Not that it would mean anything, Azarion was only a slave and wouldn't be limited to light duties for too long.

"As best I got was that the man who'd done it was taller than me - maybe about your height, sir," he said, looking at the shorter and more patrician-sounding of the two. "Dark hair and wearing a dark green knee-length cloak." He shrugged. "That's all I know, sir."

@Atrice @Chevi

Edited by Sharpie
duplicate tags!
  • Like 2

Alexius didn’t know if Jason had mostly looked at Lucius, when they first arrived. He probably had, with Lucius being dressed like he was. That’s why Jason was worried. Alexius was just there, tall and following the rest, but he had his rudis with him, as always. It was old and worn now, but it was there, safely kept in a special sheath by his belt.

They came to a private area and sat down, Jason a bit hesitant, but he seemed to finally relax while Lucius told him why they were there. At first, Jason got worried again, but then he finally took a breath and explained what he knew.

To begin with, Jason spoke of his cousin being attacked and this time, Alexius was surprised. So far, he’d only heard of women being attacked. But apparently he went after men too. Anyone, it seemed. Jason continued talking and the more he spoke, the more familiar Alexius thought that Jason’s cousin sounded. What the actual fuck? He knew that charioteer! Else it was a weird coincidence, but it all fit. Especially the part about being unable to talk. He was quite sure he met him, months ago…

“This cousin of yours… is his name Azarion?” Alexius asked Jason, “I met him a few months ago… I told you about that girl who was murdered.” He looked at Lucius, “That girl was his friend. And now he got attacked? Damn…” Alexius ran a hand through his hair, feeling frustrated again. What in the name of Hades and the entire fucking Underworld was going on? Why did this happen again and again and again and no one did anything? The more it all went through his head, the more upset he felt.

No one did anything. Until now… fucking… monster… “He’s going to die.”

@Sharpie @Chevi

• Like 2

"I never mentioned her name,"

Lucius nodded. That was good to know. Ovinia's secret needed to be kept safe. Jason seemed like a trustworthy man, even if he did not trust the two of them yet. "Thank you."

"My cousin. That was...A month and a half ago, two months ago, something like that."

Lucius opened up the writing tablet, and took some more notes as Jason spoke.

"My cousin is a charioteer for the Whites. As best as I know, he came across a man outside their stable and there was... some sort of run-in or something, I don't know, and my cousin got his arm cut. I only found out the next day because the, uh, leader sent for me - my cousin can't talk, they needed someone to translate his signs. They wanted a description." 

Lucius looked up, surprised. So.... a man had been attacked too. That was strange, compared to the other cases. And suddenly, Alexius looked a lot more alert too.

"Do you remember the description?"

"As best I got was that the man who'd done it was taller than me - maybe about your height, sir. Dark hair and wearing a dark green knee-length cloak. That's all I know, sir."

The description matched Ovinia's, as far as the height and the hair went. And now they also knew he had light eyes. Definitely the same man. But why...

Alexius spoke up.

"This cousin of yours… is his name Azarion?”

Lucius looked up curiously.

“I met him a few months ago… I told you about that girl who was murdered. That girl was his friend. And now he got attacked? Damn…” 

Lucius' eyes widened. Things were beginning to fall into place like they were making a mosaic picture...

"He killed a girl, at the Circus" he glanced at his notes "And then her friend met him, at the same place, and was also attacked, even though he is not a woman..."

“He’s going to die.”

"Oh, for sure." Lucius nodded. He glanced at his list again. "We are going to have to talk to this... Azarion?... too. And for that, if I understand it right, we'll need you." he added, looking up at Jason. "We need a time and a place to all sit down together. This is... bigger than we thought. Ovinia, twice. The girl who got killed, and Azarion too. The girl at the brothel... and Alexius' friend. And that is just the ones we know of." He sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "We are hunting a monster."

@Sharpie @Atrice

• Like 3