Amends

Sara

He chuckled when Ione wondered if it was always cold in the North, “We have summer also.” He said when he’d finished chuckling, “And summers is warm. But winter, very cold. Snow, if you know?” He’d found that many people down here did not know what snow was. Or they heard about it, but they never saw it, “And forests are large. Romans get lost in forests.” He said with another little laugh, “But our people know ways. And we use them.” For fighting back the Romans, for example, like his ancestors did, when they fought each other. His mothers ancestors versus his father’s ancestor… Wulfric had a bit of both sides in him. But he felt most connected with his Chatti family so far.

It felt natural to ask Ione about where she was from then, and naturally he too was curious. Greece knew was also warm and had big cities, so maybe it was like Rome? Apparently it was even warmer! Ione however was not from a big city, she was from an island that you could walk around in three days or so. And it was peaceful. Warm, small and peaceful. He smiled when she smiled at her memories and she spoke about the beaches too. And asked about coasts in Germania.

“I know there are, in North. But our people live in middle of land. No coast.” He said, “I did not see coast and ocean until I come here. On way here. It was…” Wulfric tried to find the right word, but wasn’t sure he could… “It was big. More than I think before. Beautiful.” He enjoyed the sight of it and he’d also gone out in it, but not too far. He had feared it might swallow him.

@Sara

• Like 1

"I've never seen snow." She confirmed with a bemused little smile, "But I can't imagine ever being that cold...my teeth chatter here in the winter and I've been told it gets much colder if it snows." She frowned at the thought, imagining that she'd still be required to dress in the skimpy, flimsy toga's she wore to decry her position as a prostitute even if it ever snowed. Such was her lot. 

She listened to him with genuine interest, eyes intently focused on him as he spoke of the forests and the water. She nodded throughout, trying to picture it. Imagine living almost your whole life and never seeing the sea? She couldn't picture it - her mother had said she'd learned to swim before she'd learned to walk. She gave him a soft smile and an encouraging look; "You know Wulfric...if you are leaving Rome, you do not have to go home immediately, surely? You could...see the Empire if you wanted, and go home with stories not just of the city but of Greece and Egypt and Hispania and Gaul and even Britannia!" She smiled a vibrant smile and gave him an encouraging look; "You could see everything you wanted - what is there to stop you?" 

TAG: @Atrice

• Like 1

He smiled when she spoke of how much she'd freeze if there was snow, "Snow only comes, when it is cold. But also, not very cold." Snow often seemed to come when it was about to either get very very cold or if the weather was about to get warmer. His grandmother once told him that. Snow didn't come when it was already very cold. And there were different kinds of snow too. Imagine to never have seen snow or know what it was like. He, on the other hand, didn't know much about the sea. And Ione probably had issues with grasping how he'd lived without knowing the sea. While he thought the same about her and snow or just cold weather. Rome was not cold. It was warm, even in the winter... at least to Wulfric, it was. 

Then she suddenly suggested he didn't have to go home, once he left Rome. That he could see much more before he went home and she seemed very excited about it. But her last question was what he knew the answer to, at least.

"I think, it would be nice, seeing more. But..." He downed a bit of wine, "I have duty, to family. My grandfather is not young. If he die, his brother is king. If he dies... I am. I must go home." Even if he would like to see more. On top of all of that, he kind of missed home, by now. They were all so far away. And he feared that if he travelled more, he might never go home and see them all again. Or what if something happened to him, if he was injured or if he died himself? They'd never know. He could not just ignore his family, even when they were so far away. Ione would probably love to leave and travel, he thought. But her lot in life wasn't nice... "I am sorry, if I disappoint. I know you must... wish for things." Which was sad, he thought. She had hopes and dreams too. Wishes. And because she was a slave and even a prostitute... she might never see them as more than dreams. What a pity she didn't like the cold. Else he might try and take her with him.

@Sara

• Like 1

She finally took another sip of her wine as he started to speak, realising that perhaps her suggestion hadn't been a good one. She felt a little...embarrassed, but even as he tried to explain and then he apologised she felt like her idea still had merit and she was bemused at his apology. She shook his head and tentatively reached across the table to softly grip his hand. It was odd - he'd had her body in exchange for coin but this felt far more intimate. 

"Please don't be sorry," She shook her head with a soft smile, "My life is what it is and...if I hear from other people how terrible it is...or people feel sorry for me then...it makes me sad...and I'm not usually sad." At least not in public. At night, alone, after the last of the clients had left was a different story. She took another tiny sip of her wine at the thought and then set it away lest she be tempted for more. "But you should think of travelling I-I understand why you think you can't but Greece is not so far away, maybe a week or so from Rome?" Her journey from Athens to Cosa had been a bit of a blur but a week, perhaps two, seemed about right, "You could take a month and...go and sea the crystal clear waters and the sand for yourself...and pay homage to my Gods," She leant in with a conspiratorial smile and kept her voice at a whisper so the other patrons wouldn't hear, "The real Gods...not the copies the Romans have." She chuckled and sat back and then glanced at him. "Else you can wait...and one day, if you're King, you can visit, maybe? See all the land you could one day conquer..." 

• Like 1

Wulfric looked at her hand when she softly grasped his and she told him to not apologize. Because her life was what it was, and she didn't want to feel sad - which she did, when people felt sorry for her. How strange it must be, he thought... to just have accepted a life like the one she lived. To say that it 'is what it is', as if she didn't think she could change it at all. Of course he knew inside, that she probably did not have many chances, but she had to have hope, right? She pulled back and mused more about travelling. To Greece, for example. She wanted him to see the sea and the sand and her gods. 

He chuckled when she said he should see the land he might one day conquer, "I think, we are fine without conquer." He said, "Also, I know how to fight, battle... but, only if I must. And I must not conquer. I do not need. I am not Roman." And the Romans sure seemed a bit too thrilled about conquering more land for their empire. Wulfric did want his Roman family to like him, but that didn't seem to work out. So then he'd rather just not be Roman at all. Especially not like that.

"But, maybe I will visit Greece, one day. See your temples. Are they like Roman? With marble? That is rare, in North." He sipped a bit more of his drink, looking at her, "Do you have favorite god? From Greece?" 

@Sara

• Like 1

Ione gave a gracious little smile and a nod before leaning in a bit conspiratorially with a hushed whisiper. "I think most of the slaves I have met would agree with you." Greek and Roman culture were similar in so many ways that she couldn't imagine her life looking much different without the latter. For people like Wulfric, and some of the girls in the Elysium from Britannia or Gaul or Africa Proconsularis, she could imagine the difference was more stark. And all the more painful. 

"Some of them are," she nodded, her voice and face growing more animated as they spoke of something familiar to her, "But not so many on my island. Some of ours are wooden because..." Well, because they weren't like the rich people on the mainland - she grew up in poverty, as did many of the people in her town. "And that's unfair!" she said with a grin and a laugh, shooting him a mock-glare but her face was too open and almost immediately she grinned. She really was a terrible actress. "There's so many...but I suppose..." She considered his question, "I suppose I've always liked Hestia...she is the Goddess of the family and lots of other things..." She looked a bit sheepish, "And Mnemosyne...she's the mother of the muses and the Goddess of memory. She brings them back to you in your sleep," She offered him a half-smile, "It's why you have to offer to her - so she brings you good memories. And you?" She sipped the smallest sip of her wine, "Tell me of your Gods? Your favourite?" She asked, genuinely interested in him and what he had to say.

• Like 1

He gave her a small smile, when she said most slaves would agree with him - that there was no need to conquer lands. Of course there were more fierce people in Germania too, who did like to raid and conquer and those were the troublemakers. Most people wanted to remain peaceful - and especially with the Romans towards the South it was important to remain friendly with each other. But there were roaming tribes too and they'd sometimes sell slaves to the Romans. Sometimes it was all a mess. But not at the moment, at least not for his tribe. 

Then he asked into Greece and the temples and the gods there. She said some temples were marble, but some were wooden. They had many gods, but she spoke of someone called Hestia, who was the goddess of the family and someone who was the goddess of memory. Wulfric did not think he could pronounce what she just said, not without breaking his tongue. So he took a drink instead, while listening. The goddess of memory did sound good though, if she'd bring good memories. He smiled, setting down his wine, realizing he'd taken a larger sip than he intended. It was almost empty. Ione asked into his gods.

"Our gods... are different, I think. They are in nature. And in other world." They had their own world, "But they visit people, sometimes. Like Wotan, who travel to learn." He smiled, it wasn't that much different from himself. He had always liked Wotan, who was more or less the king of his gods. But there were others, "I also like Nerthus, who give fertility and peace if you sacrifice for her. So we do. Those are good things all should want." At least he thought so. Fertility was important for the crops and the harvest, for the cattle and for the women. Which meant it was important for the men too, of course. And peace. Who didn't want peace? Right... he forgot where he was. Wulfric drank a bit more wine on that thought.

@Sara

• Like 1

Ione listened, rapt in wonder as he described his Gods. She frowned, trying to picture it - Gods in nature? She knew her Gods could visit humans but they didn't live here. "Ner-thus." She repeated, trying to get the pronunciation right although it sounded odd with her accent. She took another small, discrete sip of her wine. It was still over three quarters full. 

"Fertility and peace," She chuckled, "I think the latter but not the former for me." She couldn't get with child, she knew her dominus wouldn't countenance keeping a pregnant whore or her child in his employ long term. She had wanted to be a mother since girlhood but not here. Not like this. "I will sacrifice to her," She nodded with a little smile, "If you tell me how?" She hoped her Gods wouldn't mind...and felt a ripple of fear at their vengeful histories. Surely one sacrifice would be permissible? "Can you do it in Rome? Do you have temples here?" 

• Like 1

It was hard to explain the belief in his gods. They were in nature and they were part of nature. And they worshipped them both at the ancient graves and at their own, wooden temples, but mostly it was a private matter. Unless there were big rites, like for the Winter Solstice. It wasn't something you walked around thinking about every day. He smiled when Ione sweetly tried to pronounce the name of his goddess, and she said what she liked about her. He nodded, it made sense. Of course a woman like her shouldn't get pregnant. Although some women practically glowed like goddesses when they were pregnant. And there was something about them too. But he understood why her owner might not want kids running around in a brothel.

Ione promised she'd sacrifice to Nerthus. Wulfric coughed and set down his wine, looking at her. She had no idea what she was talking about! 

"I have not seen temples for my gods here." Wulfric said, "You can sacrifice, by water, but... it depends, what you wish. If you wish fertility, you give grain or flower. If you wish peace, you give weapon. And if you wish blessing for all..." He trailed off, almost sure that anyone here would think the next thing he said very barbaric and uncivilized. So he downed the rest of his wine and leaned closer to her, "We give slave. Sacrifice slaves. They will service gods when dead. I do not wish so for you." 

@Sara

• Like 1

"By water," She said with a small smile and nodded. "Maybe down by the Tiber?" She offered, "The river, that flows through the city, we could go..." But he was talking and she realised she was interrupting and shut herself up, pressing her lips together. It had been a long while since she'd been in a conversation with no request for anything beyond it and she had quite forgotten herself. 

She let him speak, nodding at his explanation what you gave for fertility, and peace and then...she felt herself run cold and her eyes widened, blinking at him. Her lips parted naturally and she hurriedly raised the cup of wine to have a sip so she wouldn't look quite so dumbstruck. "I...I..." She didn't know what to say and so she set down her wine, looking wary and slightly...afraid. Even if there was no chance of it happening to her, the thought was somewhat horrifying. "I didn't know you had slaves where you're from, I'm sorry I...I understand. It makes sense, f-for people to help the Gods afterwards...after they've passed." She winced and looked at him, moving a hand to rest on his. She didn't want to make him feel bad, even with her discomfort. "Romans don't treat their slaves any better. M-most are dead in the mines or..." She gestured to herself and offered a small smile, "At least yours are offered to something greater and...it would be quick? For them?" She breathed and shook her head. "Maybe I'd rather be a slave in Germania than Rome..." 

• Like 1

They could sacrifice by the Tiber. He had done so before too, while he'd been here, but not so often. It felt strange, in this city full of so many other and strange gods. But Wulfric had more to say and he explained that sometimes, they'd sacrifice slaves for their gods. Her eyes widened and he knew she was startled, even if she tried to hide it. Of course he would not wish to sacrifice her to the gods! That wouldn't be right! Then she began talking, surprised apparently that they had slaves where he came from, but also claimed she thought it made sense that people would service the gods after they'd died. Ione touched his hand and mentioned how badly the Romans would treat their slaves. He nodded at her next words.

"It is honor, to serve gods. To be sacrifice to gods." He replied, "I think we treat slaves better, in Germania. But, I do not know, if slaves think we do." He added with a smile, "Our lands, very different from Rome. Life is different. But... I would like to take you to my home. But you will not like cold." He chuckled, as they'd talked about that before. He picked up his cup again to drink, only to realize it was empty. How did he drink so much? Ione still had hers. It felt strange to not have any drink left in his own and he looked around for someone he could tell to come and refill it.

@Sara

• Like 1

"I think if the slaves had a choice and knew about Rome, they'd rather be in Germania." She said with a small smile and a discrete sip of her wine. She would rather be, even with the risk of a sacrifice at the end of her life. At least, by the sounds of it, they respected their slaves...it didn't occur to naive Ione that Wulfric might be painting it all in a rather more generous light. She considered few fates worse than the one she had been dealt (even if she tried not  to let it grind her down), so how bad could Germania really be?

She laughed genuinely though, at his joke and nudged him. "You would have to bundle me up in the furs and wools and things until I resembled a big ball rather than a woman, I think." But they both knew she couldn't go with him. He would be stealing property and she'd be a runaway and both were punished harshly. She shook the thought out of her head as quickly as she could and glanced down at the table, noting his cup was empty. Oh. She blinked. "I...I can get you another." She said as she stood, but she hesitated. She owed the proprietor her body for the drinks she already had and didn't much want to add another night with him for another cup. She bit her lip and then glanced to Wulfric. "Or we could go to the Forum, maybe? The wine is cheaper there on the stalls?" 

• Like 1

He smiled when she said that the slaves would probably also prefer Germania to Rome, but he shrugged too, “Maybe.” But he honestly didn’t know. Being a slave couldn’t be easy, no matter where you were. To know you belonged to someone else literally. But on the other hand, that’s just how things were. No work would ever get done if you didn’t have slaves. Not everyone could be a king or a noble and in Rome, not everyone could be a Senator either. Someone had to do the hard work.

He spoke more of how different his lands were to Rome and then said he’d like to take Ione there, even if she’d not like the cold. She laughed and said she’d have to be bundled up in furs. Wulfric chuckled too, “Maybe that. Or, you would sit by hearth and be warm. Also, share body warmth.” He then suggested, feeling the wine. There was a reason he supposed, that you often slept more people in the same bed… to stay warm especially in the winter. He thought he’d not mind sharing his bodyheat with Ione up there. Hopefully she hadn’t felt offended by what he said, since she in Rome didn’t really have a choice to do that.

His drink was empty though and he looked around to get it refilled, but Ione said she could get him another… or go somewhere else. Wulfric nodded, “Maybe go to the Forum with you? It does sounds nice.”

@Sara

• Like 1

She grinned at his words as she sipped her wine. The last time they had seen one another had been after an evening of lovemaking, and she was somewhat flattered that the woeful experience with her guard the next morning hadn't entirely soured his impression of her...that way. But she wasn't thinking of him in terms of another client to earn a coin from. She liked Wulfric - he was sweet and charming and seemed actually...interested in her, beyond her body. She smiled softly to herself as she sipped her drink gently.

Surprised that he agreed to her suggestion, she smiled at him and pushed her wine cup across the table to him. "You can finish it." It would take her far longer than him to finish and he was her guest. She owed him, after all. Standing awkwardly in the sea of people she gestured for him to follow her back out of the bar; "I don't really know what they do..." She wrinkled her nose as she tried to avoid the surge of people moving past the bar, "In the Forum I mean, but that's where I was told I should go for a proper Saturnalia experience..." Another surge of the crowd and Ione instinctively reached for Wulfric's hand to steady both of themselves. 

• Like 1

Right now, he was drinking wine and enjoying a conversation with Ione - for the moment, he'd more or less forgotten the fight with the guard from the brothel. And he did like spending time with Ione, so why should he not wish that he could take her away from Rome and to the North, where he'd wrap her in warm clothes and wrap his cloak around her by the hearth in the house. Wouldn't that be nice? He thought it would. And she grinned by his words too, sweet as she was. Then he'd finished his drink and looked around for another, but Ione suggested they left the place instead. He agreed and then Ione gave him her wine, telling him to finish it. Wulfric gave her a look... "You are sure?" He asked. Wulfric was not yet sure what he thought of wine, but it was definitely growing on him.

It seemed she was sure and Wulfric downed the drink and stood, following her out of the place. She said she didn't know what people did at the Forum, but she'd heard she ought to go there, "We will find out together." He said and felt her hand wrap around his. Wulfric smiled and took her hand, there were many people in the street tonight. He felt himself moving closer to her and enjoying the feeling of her hand in his, "You always are kind to me, Ione." He said, looking at her, "You are not like Romans." And he definitely meant that as a good thing. Most Romans he'd met and come close to, had not been so nice. Of course the warehouse at the marketplace was different, that was a workplace, and they had to get along to get everything running smoothly, but besides that... Rome was a difficult place to be at, for a man like him.

@Sara

• Like 1

She smiled as she felt his hand tighten around hers and his body move closer as they jostled through the crowds towards the Forum. There was music drifting from the people in front of them, singing and wooping and laughter and she found herself grinning as well. The atmosphere and the sheer joy of the crowds was desperately easy to get lost in. She smiled up at him and caught the end of his words. She frowned. Why would somebody not be kind to him? Wulfric was a good man, she concluded easily.

Instinctively she leant up on the tips of her toes and pressed a soft kiss to his cheek, pulling back with an embarrassed smile. "I am not a Roman," She squeezed his hand, "That's why!" Tugging on his hand to lead him closer to the Forum, she found herself swept up in the revelry. She'd missed this - the peace of feeling part of a group, with somebody that seemed to care for her. You couldn't wipe the smile from her face if you tried. The music grew louder though as they neared the Forum, although the crowds themselves were thicker and it was getting difficult to walk. 

• Like 1

If only everyone he met in Rome could be like her. She'd been so kind to him, right from the first time they met, where he'd fallen and scraped his knees and she was so nice and helped him. The night he spent with her had been good too, even if the end of it had been quite... disastrous. He still had bruises and healing wounds to show from it, but despite that, she did come back for him, she did want to say she was sorry. And here they were, out together for Saturnalia, hand in hand in a crowd of joyful people. He looked at her when she kissed him softly on the cheek and reminded him she was not Roman. He smiled back, squeezed her hand back, "I am glad." He replied as she led him closer to the Forum. A place with temples and important buildings. This was where he met Iophon for the first time, who introduced him properly to Rome. And now he'd be leaving once spring came.

Wulfric looked at Ione, who was smiling, while the crowd around them grew thicker and someone suddenly elbowed their way right between them, forcing him to let go of her hand and forcing them apart. Wulfric stumbled and almost fell. Other people quickly followed and got between them and Wulfric missed the feeling of her hand, "Ione!" There were so many people here. He tried to make his way towards her, "I think... this may not be good idea!" He yelled towards her, hoping she heard him. She was honestly the only person he thought he could enjoy this festival with, in all of Rome. Why were there so many people here?

@Sara

• Like 1

The crowd shuddered and lurched and she was separated from Wulfric in the process, becoming entangled instead in a group of men and women with painted, drunken faces and beaming smiles. She blinked, pushing herself up to her tiptoes to try and find him. 

She heard her name be called and glanced, trying a little more desperately  to see him as they were independently shoved and shunted by the crowds. She spied him at last as he called out, trying to make his way as he did so. He was right - this was not a good idea, the place was packed and it would take them hours to get in and likely hours to get out. She squirmed, squeezing her slender body through the crowds and finally reached him, breathlessly. She gripped onto his hand. "I-I have an idea," she said with a grin, "C-come with me." She tugged him forward or tried to, her eyes catching on one of the insula blocks that overlooked the very edge of the forum. She'd seen somebody do it for another festival, and to dump water on unsuspecting passers by when kids were feeling mischievous. "The roof," she glanced up at the four-storey structure, "We could try to get up, to see?" 

• Like 1

Wulfric had been in Rome for a good while now and he had gotten used to the crowds, especially during the festivals. And the Romans did have many festivals, didn't they? But he mostly avoided the crowded places at such times, because he was honestly more comfortable with fewer people around him. He didn't like it when it felt like he was in the middle of an ocean of people and it was impossible to get away. And that's what he felt now, especially after he and Ione were separated. He tried to reach her again, while it felt like she got further away from him, but they she squeezed through the crowds and he felt her hand wrap around his again. Wulfric held better onto hers this time and then she had an idea. Wulfric happily followed her, if she had an idea about how to get away. They came nearer to a building near the Forum and she looked up, said they should get up to the roof.

"We can do so? Get up there?" Wulfric asked, looking up. Just living in an insula several stories over the street was new to him, so being on the roof of a building seemed a little dangerous to him. You didn't get so high up in Germania unless you climbed a tree. 

"It is safe?" He continued to ask and looked behind him. It was tempting to get away from the crowds and being alone with her... "How do we get up?" He almost felt stupid with all of his questions, but she was his guide tonight and she must know what to do.

@Sara

• Like 1

"Well," She grinned with a little, conspiratorial laugh, "They don't like you to but Eris showed me others doing it before...I can't remember the festival now but we had a few hours off...come..." She gestured to the stairs that led up the outside of the building. She started to climb and then gestured at a wooden structure that was fastened to the end of one of the balconies; "That." She pointed at it, "They use it grow vines and plants but it can take the weight of a person." She hoped. 

The walk up to the top floor was arduous - at least for her - and her thighs were burning as she made it to the top. Nobody else was up here, but technically they were on private property. She leant out over the balcony and glanced up. The roof directly above them was flat, before it sloped upwards into tiles. She grinned breathlessly at Wulfric, flushed. "You see?" She called to him as she leant back in and then moved to the trellis - rattling it to make sure it was secure. "I'll go first. I promise, we'll be fine..." She hoped. Tentatively, she put a foot on it and then swung around to the outside of the building. It was only three or four hand-holds up, but her arms already started  to shake. This was the bravest she'd been in years.

• Like 1

Wulfric was still surprised that Ione wanted to climb to the top of the building, and she said you weren't supposed to climb up there, but she'd seen others do it. Wulfric followed her up some stairs, until they would need to actually climb to get further up. She went first and Wulfric looked at her, a bit surprised at her skills too, when she began climbing the wooden structure on the outside of the building. It did not look safe. But then again, was climbing trees always that safe? He recalled climbing one as a child, one that was not safe, and a branch had broken and he fell down and landed on his back. It had hurt like fire and ice at the same time, but he luckily survived the fall and he could still walk and climb. And well, Ione was brave enough to climb and Wulfric wasn't going to be left behind by a woman.

So he followed, not looking down as he did it. Eventually they reached the top of the building and a balcony there, where they stopped. Wulfric hadn't said a word and tried to catch his breath, while she grinned and pointed out the last step on the way up. Looking to be the most dangerous part of it.

"I hope you are right." Wulfric said, when she promised they'd be fine. Then she continued up and Wulfric looked and waited until she was up there. Then he followed. Gods, this was high above everything! Why was he doing this again? It wasn't that he feared heights, but he didn't like the thought of falling down. He'd die for sure. She would too. But he followed and finally sat down on the flat part of the roof above the balcony. He looked at the view.

"We are... so... high up!" He said, catching his breath again and looked across the streets and the Forum nearby, "The people are tiny!" 

@Sara

• Like 1

Ione couldn't actually believe that she'd made it until she heaved herself up, breathlessly to the flat part of the roof and flopped onto her back. Unlike some women in Rome who took in exercise when visiting the baths or from their long, rambling walks around the city, Ione had lost much of the fitness she had gained when a free woman on her island, and so she was exhausted by the time Wulfric joined her. At least he was breathless too, not just her. She felt a little less embarrassed. 

She grinned as he spoke and pulled herself to sit, hugging her knees. It was colder up here, the wind whipping their hair and burning their cheeks. "They are!" she giggled and naturally drew closer to him as she had all evening, finding comfort (and warmth) in his presence. "And you can see all the lovers thinking they're being so secretive in the alleys!" She laughed and pointed to a few pairs of people - some further into the throes of passion than others...who dotted the alleys nearby. "I never imagined a city so big, did you?" 

• Like 1

At least Wulfric was used to being on the move - while he had not walked all the way from Germania to Rome, he had walked some of it and it was no issue to him. The work he had here in Rome also kept him busy. That didn't mean he didn't need to catch his breath, when they finally reached the roof, but he was in an alright shape. He sat down and commented on how tiny the people were. Ione hugged her knees and Wulfric inched closer to her, so he wouldn't sit too close to the edge of the roof. It was a little colder up here. Wulfric thought it sort of refreshing. Rome really could be too warm sometimes. She grinned at his words, agreeing and then she pointed out lovers trying to be secretive, that they could see now. He chuckled and looked at her. They were being secretive too, weren't they? But they weren't lovers. If he wanted her love, he had to pay for it. So it wasn't the same. But he said nothing.

"You are right. We can reveal much, here." He said instead and she spoke of how big the city was, "It is big. Stretches." He gestured with an arm how the city seemed to stretch in all directions and only far away you could see something that might not be buildings, "I have never seen big city, before I come to Rome. Down in street, I feel small, sometimes. Up here... it is different. And it is just me and you." Wulfric said and looked at her, hugging her knees, "You are cold?" 

@Sara

• Like 1

"Me too." She empathised with a soft smile, "I feel like nobody down there...people ignore me," And that was the best case scenario really because if  they didn't ignore her then they heckled her or groped her or did other, unspeakable things. "Up here...I feel like a Goddess!" She chuckled and nudged him with a grin. 

But she was cold. It was winter, and she had yet to acclimatise to the winters in Rome - at her home, it never got too cold in the winter months but here - even with the business of the city - it was freezing to her. She nodded mutely and shuffled even closer to him, until she was almost sat curled in front of his chest. "It's the wind...but the view is worth it. I just wish I had remembered to bring wine." She chuckled, not  that she could afford it. The silence settled comfortably between them and when she spoke, it was barely perceptible on the winds; "I wish you didn't have to go home Wulfric...and I wish things could be different..." 

• Like 1

Wulfric felt a bit sorry for her, when she said that she felt people ignored her down on the streets. But then up here, she felt like a goddess. That made him smile, she was sweet when she wasn't working and just having fun instead. But she was hugging her knees and seemed cold to him. He asked about it and she inched closer to him. Wulfric opened his arms to let her lean against him, this was very nice. And he had to remind himself that it was Saturnalia and Ione kind of said it was fine, and there was no guard watching over them. Gods he hoped not. He didn't want to get beaten again. Last time had been enough. People didn't seem to care when he told them his rank at home. In Rome, at least in his experience, he was just a foreigner and even from an area the Romans had not conquered. They'd call him a barbarian if he acted out. Luckily, he didn't do that much.

Instead he'd just sit here with her. She said the wind made her cold and they had no wine, "I think I am fine, with you. Here." He wrapped his cloak as much around her as he could, "Maybe tonight, you are goddess?" He suggested with a small smile, wanting her to feel good when she was with him. Then she said she wished things were different. He sighed.

"Yes, I wish for this too. Things be different." Wulfric said, "But I must go home. I do not belong in Rome. I am sorry, you can not leave." It really was a pity he couldn't take all the nice people he met, with him. Why did he meet so many slaves? Charis, Aglaea, Ione... why were it mostly them, who were nice to him? And it didn't change things, in the long run.

@Sara

• Like 1