Who waits forever anyway?

Ovinia sighed and squeezed his forearm again before moving her hand back to her lap, flexing her fingers, trying to summon any words of wisdom that might help. And then he spoke again, and she blinked, glancing sideways at him with ill-disguised surprise. "She's...she's not a vestal anymore?" She frowned and then slowly, ever so slowly, a smile spread on her face until it turned into a grin. A grin that stretched from ear to ear. She fluttered her eyes shut and turned her face to the heavens, murmuring; "Thank you Gods above..." 

After a moment she cracked them open and turned to Alexius, smile still on her face. "I won't say anything, of course I won't say anything but...but don't you see? This is so much better Alexius, so much better. She has done her duty to the Goddess - she has been rewarded with her freedom - loving her Dows not anger the Goddess, I'm sure..." At least in her opinion, "A-And you would not be executed for it, nor would she I..." She frowned, "Not that you should do anything unless you are wed of course." There were lines, even for Alexius, "B-But there is hope, is there not?" She tried to encourage him. "There's hope. She's free from her duties, and you are free to love her..." She cleared her throat. "Chastely, of course." With a sigh, she shifted on the bench to face him, her expression softening. "She must be very beautiful to win the famous Alexius' heart?" 

TAG: @Atrice

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alexius didn't get why Ovinia was suddenly so cheerful, after he revealed that Calpurnia was no Vestal anymore. She'd still been one. That was bad enough. But she sat there smiling and promised she'd not say anything, but claimed that the fact that his love was no longer a Vestal, that was a good thing. She didn't think he'd get executed. Right. Calpurnia's brother would tear him apart if he knew. Ovinia spoke of hope, the same way Lucius had, said they could love each other... chastely. Ha! Did she even know Alexius? But Ovinia would surely not understand, if he said he'd not just loved her chastely until now. They were not wed and they had certainly done something. Something he wanted more of. With her.

"It's not just her looks... it's everything about her. She's... funny and smart. And she likes me too. Like that." Alexius said, smiling as he spoke, but then it faded, "But what does it matter that I'm free to love her, if I can't have her? I'm a freedman, as you know. I'm nothing compared to her. She's... the complete opposite. Her family would never welcome me. It's not much better for us than for you and..." He stopped himself, but too late. Talking before thinking, as always! And he'd said it now. Admitted it. That he knew about her and Lucius. But then again, after all this time, might she not at least suspect he knew something was going on? 

@Sara

• Sad 1

Ovinia smiled softly, listening to him as he rattled off the woman’s virtues. She sounded like a Goddess and mentally, Ovinia tried to place which woman said virtues belonged to. She’d frequented the temple for years and knew many of the Vestals by light conversation and social circles with their families. She had a vague idea who it might be but chose not to let him know. He already seemed panicked enough. She did let out a small sigh with a little smile though: “She sounds like perfection, Alexius.”

But the smile was soon wiped from his face and she listened with growing sadness as he lamented his position…and her own. She blinked, lips parting in surprise. You and…well. She knew how to finish that sentence and clearly so did Alexius. She swallowed the lump in her throat and exhaled deeply, turning to look back out at the glossy, meandering river. She had tried incredibly hard over the last few weeks and months to keep reality out of whatever feelings she had for Lucius. Now it was brought into sharp relief. After a hesitation, she spoke, quietly: “It is the way of things, Alexius. Just because she will marry another it does not mean you cannot enjoy her company now.” She sighed and flicked her eyes to the sky very briefly, “And then when she is wed…there are different kinds of love. Friendship, is a kind of love, is it not? Different, but still love. You…” She sighed, reality of her own situation making her morose. She strove not to think about it, turning instead to look at Alexius, “If you love her and she loves you, then focus on what you do have. A life long friend to enjoy.”

• Sad 2

Calpurnia was perfection, in his eyes. That might anger Venus, as she too had suggested, but there really was no comparison. Besides, he never met Venus. But he met Calpurnia. So how was he to know if the goddess was better? How could she be? He nodded at her words and tried to explain to Ovinia why he didn't see any hope in whatever he and Calpurnia had. And then apparently he didn't know when to stop talking. He'd tried to not bother Ovinia, so she would not be worried, because he knew about her and Lucius, but now she knew that he knew. Fuck. He didn't speak, didn't dare to say anything else and Ovinia blinked and gave him a surprised look. She knew what he meant and now she too stared at the river. Great. Now they were both miserable. Would she like to get drunk with him, by any chance? It did help, if only for a brief while. 

Silence fell until she spoke, not mentioning what she had with Lucius, but through her words he knew she'd considered options between her and her love too. It just didn't work out so easily for Alexius. How could he love a woman, who had another husband? Who was meant to give her husband everything she would never be allowed to give Alexius again? Her faithfulness, her body, her children... everything. Ovinia had clearly thought it over many times. Thought you could remain friends and ignore your feelings. She thought you should just enjoy what you had, accept the circumstances and get on with life. But it wasn't that easy.

"Wouldn't it be amazing if that could work? If it was that easy. But I know it isn't. This isn't the first time I've loved a woman, Ovinia. And the last one I loved... the issue was the same. And she found a proper suitor. And we had to end it. It didn't work out. You'd think third time is the charm, but..." It wasn't, was it? It never worked out with Achillia and she had even been with child. It didn't work out with Oriana. She didn't want Alexius to sleep around and at the same time, she'd marry and sleep with her husband. In what world was that fair? And now Calpurnia... it would turn out the same way. And yet he couldn't ignore his longing for her... "I don't know what to do. So that's why I went out last night. And that's why you found me where you did this morning. Nothing else works."

@Sara

• Like 1

She felt her chest tighten as he dismissed her words with a sigh. She bit her lip. Wouldn't it be amazing if that could work? No. It would still not be everything, but she thought - and hoped - that it would be enough. But as he continued, explaining that he had experience, that he'd tried before, that it wouldn't work she felt a knife twist into her gut a little more. She tried to blink her own selfish  thoughts away. She didn't wish to think about the future, she was, in fact, trying very hard not to. Instead, she told herself to focus on Alexius and his (many) woes. 

"I...do not think you'll my advice." She shifted on the bench with a sigh and cast her eyes back out to the river. "If you do not think you can love her as a friend, when she is married and with another then...you are only torturing yourself now." She swallowed and inhaled deeply, eyes scanning the birds that swooped into the water, the little boats that bobbed along under the bridges. This is Alexius' situation, this is not yours she reminded herself. "Would it not be better for you, make you happier, to part now? That way it is a short heartbreak, and then you can move on. You can both move on?" 

• Sad 1

It wasn't that he wanted to make her feel bad. But he'd been drunk, now he had a slight hangover and that didn't always do great things for the mood. And he was feeling down to begin with, so this didn't help. But now Ovinia sighed too. She was so young, she deserved something good and happy in her life. And yet she too loved someone she could not have. Ovinia then shifted and then began speaking of how he was apparently torturing himself, if he couldn't love her when she was married. Well he could! But that would be torture too, wouldn't it? She suggested he should part ways with Calpurnia now and move on. 

"I don't think it's that easy. Ovinia, I... you know I enjoy the pleasures life offers me. And it's offered me a lot." He paused to let that sink in, "So usually, it would not be a problem. But she's not like the rest. I knew the moment I met her. This woman..." He couldn't help but smile a little, Calpurnia was something else, he knew that from the start. And how could a woman be anything but extraordinary to impress him like that? She wasn't just anybody. And meanwhile, Ovinia loved someone too. They kept talking about his situation, but really hers wasn't much better. 

"Do you think you could do the same? To save yourself from further heartbreak?" Alexius asked, looking at her. Ovinia had known, that day they went to temples and the library, that Lucius would be waiting for her. It had been planned. So it wasn't just a coincidental meeting. She was in deep too.

@Sara

• Sad 1

Ovinia watched him, sadness etched on her features as he spoke. His comment about knowing the pleasures of the world didn't even procure a blush from her - this conversation was far too serious for that. Instead she sighed and listened with abject sympathy...or was it empathy? "But Alexius," She spoke quietly, softly...sadly, "What other option do you have? Run away with her? Live your lives on the run?" She shook her head, "That is no way to live. For you, her or your son."

And then he threw her question squarely back at her and she blinked, lips parting a little. She felt something like a vice clench around her heart. She tried to tell herself things were different for her. Alexius was clearly in love and she...well...she hadn't put a name to what she felt yet. She shook her head slowly. "I...I don't know." She sighed and cast her eyes back to the river, trying desperately to distract herself. "But it is different for me," She continued. Alexius clearly knew more than she thought but oddly it didn't discomfort her. If there was one man in the world that should know her secret, it should be him. She owed him her life, after all. "I have time to figure things out and I am not engaged to be married..." But she likely would be soon. "A-and you are so clearly in love..." And so was she, although she couldn't admit that to herself. 

"But I suppose if I married I would have to." She swallowed, eventually verbalising what she didn't even want to think about after a deep pause. "I know my place and my responsibilities. But...I have time." She lied to herself. "Life is not...what we want it to be, sometimes." She sighed and glanced across at Alexius and softly reached out a hand to hold his. Under the trees, on the bench, nobody could see it. "Things will get better. I promise." 

Edited by Sara
  • Sad 1

Imagine that they had so many years between them, yet here they sat, talking about a situation they both were in. More or less. Loving someone you shouldn't. Wanting someone who wasn't meant for you. Ovinia tried to offer her advice, she thought he should end it with Calpurnia before he got in deeper... but the problem was, he was already in pretty deep and he didn't want to surface. Ovinia said that there was no other option but her suggestion, because being in the run with Calpurnia was no way to live either. And not for his son either, by the way. Lexus. Gods he was a horrible father, wasn't he? 

But what if Ovinia had to do what she just told him to? Could she? She blinked, appearing surprised and then sighed, said she didn't know. Claimed it was different for her and she had time to figure things out. Right. Why would she lie to herself like that? At least Alexius admitted his feelings. Whenever he felt something, it always seemed to go deep. He felt it deeply. And he couldn't ignore it. Ovinia did though, she tried. Yet he saw how she and Lucius had been together, at the library. She said she knew her place and she'd just have to end it with Lucius, if she had to. She claimed she had time though. And then she reached out for his hand and he wrapped his around hers. 

"I hope so." Alexius said, squeezing her hand too. Life certainly wasn't what he wanted it to be right now. He wasn't as carefree as he was just a few months ago... "How did we end up here, Ovinia? After that night I met you..." They had come a long way, hadn't they? There was something here. A friendship. Almost more than that. She could be his daughter. And he did care for her... "You know, despite everything that has happened since then, I'm glad we met. And that we're friends." 

@Sara

• Like 1

She hoped so too. Sincerely. Because things could not carry on as they were forever and she just wished, beyond all wishes, that whatever the future held it was worth this...pain. She sighed and flexed her fingers around his, gripping tightly - hidden from the view of others by the bench and the fabric of her palla. It was comforting. She could only smile at his words though, despite the sorrow of their conversation. 

"We ended up here because we met the right people at the wrong time." There was sadness in her features, but a gentle smile across her lips. "And I shall never forget it, and what you did for me, as long as I shall live." She agreed, giving his fingers a squeeze with her own. "So am I. Glad I mean. I...wish to the Gods above every day that what happened to me never happened but...if one good thing could come from it, it is you, Alexius." She sighed and slowly released her fingers from his hand. "But we should, perhaps, plan something to take our minds off of reality. You took me to the games, which I did enjoy, and I took you to the temples and the library which...I think you begrudgingly enjoyed..." She chuckled, "But I wish my father could know what part you played in...everything. He would worship you even more. But perhaps we could do a dinner? I could tell him and perhaps he'd allow it? That would be a good distraction, no?" 

• Like 1

Alexius wondered if her father ever held her hand like this. He was quite sure her father never spoke with her like this. And Alexius barely had anyone to share his misery with, not anyone who'd understand anyway. Well Lucius would. But that was because of Ovinia, who too understood - but had a different outlook on things. He told her though how happy he was that they met, despite the ugly circumstances. He smiled back at her and squeezed her hand back, while she said that the one good thing that had come from what happened to her, was him. Gods, make an old gladiator's heart melt, will you? He smiled at his own softness, while she released his hand and said they should plan a distraction. Well that's not what she said, not like that anyway. Distractions were often quite different for him. But of course she would suggest a dinner. 

"It might be. As long as you promise he won't be upset about it. And I suppose, despite what you're saying... your father should still not know everything. That night we caught him, our little... meeting. That should probably be left out." A young, beautiful and noble lady leaving her house in the middle of the night to meet with a bunch of others from different parts of the hierarchy in Rome, in Alexius' flat. No, that wouldn't look good.

"A dinner though? What would I wear? The one good outfit I have is what you gave me." He reminded her. The only time he wore it so far was for the dinner with Calpurnia. And by the end of that dinner, he didn't wear it anymore. He hadn't wanted that night to end. For dawn to come. Just being near her... no, he couldn't do what Ovinia suggested, just ending it and forgetting her. How could he? When he wanted her so badly?

@Sara

• Like 1

She wondered if her father would be upset about it. Usually he only suffered the lower classes if he had absolutely had to, but she knew he had supported Alexius when he had fought and had some kind of odd reverence for the man. It was the only reason - she suspected - that he allowed his precious only daughter to visit with him. she winced and nodded, "Yes. That part should be left out. Lucia-" She gestured at the slave girl a little distance away, "Slept in my bed and pretended to be me. It's like some child's story it's so ridiculous but..." She eyed Alexius carefully, "He should know that it was you that brought him down at the end. And then I'd see no reason why he wouldn't allow us a dinner. At...my domus, obviously." Not somewhere in public. There were limits to her fathers reverence.

She laughed at his question though, smiling broadly and genuinely. Some of the weight on her shoulders lifted. "Well then, I shall have to purchase you a new outfit won't I?" She quirked a brow. "Perhaps you could even go for a tunic and a pallium?" She narrowed her eyes on him. She knew freedmen couldn't wear the toga, but a pallium was fine...right? She could have sworn Teutus had worn one. And in any case, she suspected Alexius would look more than decent in one. "You would have to forgo your breeches though..." 

• Like 1

Her father had always treated him well and he expected the man would do so if Alexius was invited to dine there too. Why not? He was no longer a slave. And Ovinia's father clearly still had some interest in him, besides the fact that Alexius could protect his daughter. He supposed her father didn't know just how well they knew each other by now. They'd come a long way since that night Alexius heard her cry for help and came to her aid. But he liked her and of course he'd come to dinner if he could. He just pointed out that her father, no matter what, could never know everything that had happened. Ovinia luckily understood that too and she explained at her slave Lucia had slept in her bed, while she was gone. 

"Obviously. My little insula is nowhere near enough for you." Alexius chuckled, when she said the dinner had to be at their domus. He would love to show Ovinia his home, let her see how more common people lived. People who were less wealthy than people like her and her family. He wondered what to wear then and recalled the clothes she gifted him. She laughed and spoke of a new outfit. Ovinia suggested something more Roman than what he was used to. The tunic was his everyday clothes, along with the breeches. And now she would have him wear none. Alexius coughed at her words, was she paying attention to what she said? Suggesting that a man like he should forgo his breeches. Right. That's not what she meant. And yet it was practical, he supposed and couldn't help but think about Calpurnia again. Though of course she deserved more and better than some quick round in a dark alley, like what he did with Oriana once. He'd needed it though. Gods. What would Calpurnia think of doing it like that... 

"If that's what you prefer, I don't see I can object." Alexius then said with a smile, but still, an outfit just for that occasion? It seemed almost like a waste and he wasn't someone who needed fine clothes often... "But you don't have to purchase something for me. I could wear what you already gave me. Have you even seen it on?" 

@Sara

• Like 1

She laughed a little. "You can object, but I hoped you wouldn't." She grinned and narrowed her eyes on him. "You've never worn a tunic and a pallium before? Not even when you were first freed?" Surely the champion of the arena would be doused in gifts and money - enough to buy himself a proper set of clothes? 

"And no...I suppose I haven't." She said to herself with a frown. "But you know I like shopping, it takes my mind from things." She shrugged. People thought it a vapid hobby but concentrating in a stall gave her no purchase to dwell on other things, both good and bad. "Perhaps I could buy something for us both to match?" She grinned. "And...you could wear it. To impress your lady." She offered, understanding he wouldn't...couldn't take her advice about letting it go.

• Like 1

Alexius smiled at the way she laughed, at least that was something. He tried to think about her question and then he remembered, "Oh I did, now you mention it! I can't remember if I told you... but when I was first freed, I was made lanista of my ludus. So yes, I wore fancy clothes then. Somewhat fancy, anyway. But not since I left Rome after that." He explained. It was such a long time ago though. When he was lanista, when he had a wife, when they left Rome to see Germania and find his people. Which they didn't. Or, they did, but he wasn't welcome. He shouldn't think about all that now though. He had plenty of things to worry about.

He reminded her she hadn't even seen the first outfit she gifted him, but she wanted to shop and then suggested a matching set of clothes. He chuckled when she said he could even also wear it to impress his lady.

"Something for us both to match? That would be... new for everyone. But it sounds like fun." He said and glanced at her, the words on the tip of his tongue... oh well, to Hades with all of it, right? They'd confessed so many things this morning anyway... "I did wear the first outfit you gave me, for her..." 

@Sara

• Like 1

"You were a lanista?" She blinked, glancing across at him. "I...don't think you mentioned it no." Or he might well have done but she was prone to forgetfulness with details...particularly when she wasn't close friends with Alexius at the time. "That is such responsibility," She shook her heads, "You...did not wish to do it forever? I heard there's good money in it?" Granted, she could imagine several (hundred) reasons why such a job would be distasteful to a man as good as Alexius - putting your friends to die in the sands was bound to leave a sour taste in the mouth.

But she smiled as he chuckled at her joke, hoping she was succeeding in his lifting his spirits, at least a little. She parted her lips to speak, but he continued and glanced at her. She couldn't tell if he was embarrassed or...nervous to tell her, but he needn't be. She smiled, a sly grin that stretched across her lips. She could tell this was an admission, a confession, and she sighed softly. "That is sweet of you." She said with a nod, glancing at him. "She appreciated it? I can't see how she wouldn't..." She chuckled and tucked her hair behind her ears, her long gold earrings jangling as she did. "I...I got dressed up," She admitted quietly, "The day we went to the temples and the library...not just because I was seeing you..." She cleared her throat, trying to make him feel better with her own admission.

• Like 1

Ovinia appeared surprised that he'd been a lanista, so he had clearly not mentioned it before. But then she wondered why he didn't wish to stay a lanista, since there was good money in it. Alexius shook his head, "It just... wasn't for me. I only began learning about letters and writing and math when I became lanista. I wasn't good at it. And besides, my former comrades were still gladiators. They had a hard time adjusting to me being free and having more power than them. It wasn't good." Alexius explained, "And I'd always dreamt about returning to Germania, if I should be freed. And my former master freed me from the bond to the ludus and let me go." And that's how it all turned out the way it had. Alexius was still not very good at writing or reading. He could count and do a little math, but not much. 

They'd then discussed Alexius coming to dinner with Ovinia and the whole thing about the lanista sprung from him wondering what to wear. He admitted to Ovinia that the outfit she gave him, was one he wore for his love. For Calpurnia. Ovinia smiled and said it was sweet and how the lady should appreciate it. Alexius smiled, "She did." Although he didn't wear it all night. But one thing was admitting he wore that outfit or Calpurnia, another was to mention to her that he slept with the former Vestal. Even Lucius had been stunned hearing that. Ovinia wouldn't stand it, he was quite sure.

Then she tucked a strand of hair behind her ears and admitted she got dressed up the day they went to the temples and the library. Alexius chuckled, "Did you? I didn't notice at all." He said, the grin still present on his face, "I didn't notice anything at all that day." At least that's what he'd tell anyone if they asked. But Ovinia should be able to read between the lines of what he said.

@Sara

• Like 1

She smiled softly at him and nodded in understanding, chuckling a little. She couldn't imagine turning down such responsibility...or choosing not to exercise it, but she understood Alexius had a very different concept of freedom to her. And he chose to exercise it  thoroughly. It was impressive, and one of the things she enjoyed about his company so much, that he could be so truly and utterly unencumbered...or he was, at least, before a woman had dropped into his life and upended it. He even wore the outfit she'd purchased for him, for his love. She smiled at the thought as she quietly admitted her own foolishness. At least Calpurnia had appreciated it...as Lucius seemed to have her own efforts on the day they went to the library. 

"Are we terrible people?" She chuckled with a wince, glancing up at him. His silence on the matter of her own indiscretion was welcome, but even with it they both knew - underneath - exactly what sort of situations they were in. Both utterly hopeless. "Or just absolute fools, Alexius?" Probably a bit of both. She cast her eyes back towards the river, watching a few stray boats bob up and down on its surface, just smalls skiffs ferrying goods to warehouses or homes on the island most probably. It was calming, although she knew such serenity couldn't last. "What will you do now?" She asked, turning to him slightly. 

• Like 1

His brief time as a lanista was still very clear to him. He recalled how his old friend and lover Marcus had taken it - not very well, actually. And then there had been Agapetus, another gladiator he comforted and sparred with, but even he pulled a bit away, when Alexius suddenly had a higher rank. And then he'd married and nothing could stay the same. It had been a great opportunity, but it didn't make him happy. He was much better off as a guard for Teutus and taking any job he could get besides that. At least he earned some coin and he could support himself and his son. But no matter what, it didn't make him a good man for Calpurnia. No matter how he felt about her and she about him. 

Ovinia wondered if they were terrible people or fools and he shrugged, "Fools for love, it seems. That's what it does to you." He said, his smile fading again. Think if he could just for once be in love with someone and everything would be fine, it wouldn't be wrong, it would just be bliss. And it was bliss, when he was with her, but when he wasn't... oh gods, here he went again! Ovinia asked what he'd do.

"I don't know. There's not much I can do, is there? Other than... what I'm already doing." He said and looked at her. She knew what to do. She had it all planned out and she tried to do the right thing, despite loving someone she should not. She wasn't a true fool like Alexius. Women were smart. That's what he'd always known... "What do you think I should do? Honestly?" 

@Sara

• Sad 1

She sighed and watched her friend - so bereft and lost in his love. A small part of her mind protested that at least he was being honest with himself, at least he was admitting his feelings morose though they made him. Whereas she...was burying everything far down. Very far down. She shut those thoughts off and turned to the task at hand, comforting him, or trying to. 

She sighed and laid a hand on his forearm. "I've told you what I would do." Abandon any thought of her, any love of her, for her. But that small protesting voice reared its head again. She squeezed her eyes shut. "And that is what a good, proper, Roman young woman would say. But..." She opened her eyes. "The nineteen year old girl who wants to believe in love?" She offered him a weak smile. "Thinks you should rent somewhere on the outskirts of the city where you can meet her." 

• Like 1

It was true, she did tell him what she thought he should do. Part ways now, but he didn't want that. How could he forget her, the time they spent together, his insane longing for her? Alexius slept around. He got around. But usually, he didn't think so much about his lovers, not after they were done and had said their goodbyes. Calpurnia however... she didn't leave his mind. He let Ovinia touch his arm, she was sweet and kind and obviously had a better head on her shoulders than he had. Yet then she moved on, spoke of love again and came with a suggestion.

"You think that could be done?" Alexius said thoughtfully. Renting a place where he could see her wouldn't be bad. She had a villa, she told him, but he still thought that sounded a bit too risky. A small place for rent would be better. He smiled, as he had a thought, "I could even let you borrow it sometimes." Alexius winked and grinned again. Maybe he could afford it. Maybe he could.

@Sara

• Haha 1

"No!" She choked, horrified by the thought which was ridiculous...given the content of her dreams. She blinked and shook her head. "No, I just mean that I couldn't use it. I...am less free than a previous Vestal. She surely has her own money and her freedom to visit where she wants. I...have my guards, since..." The barber. She cleared her throat. "And I'm also unmarried. Unlike her, I will not get a choice in that matter." Her cheeks were flaming red but she sighed and tilted her head to the side, thinking. What are you doing?!

"But yes...I think it could work. But you would need to make it seem as if she has a reason to visit there. A pure reason." She shifted awkwardly on the bench. "I...perhaps you could rent out the ground floor to a herb wife, for women's troubles...then she would have a reason to visit?" She glanced at him, not even thinking of the money that such a venture would cost. Such things didn't concern her. "Or she could say it is for charity, that she visits...us Patrician women are always starting charities." 

• Like 1

It was her idea that he should rent something where he could see Calpurnia, but then she choked a no. And then corrected herself, saying she could not use it. She made it sound like Calpurnia was free to do whatever she liked and that no one would care what she did or who she saw. Or that Alexius had already slept with her. That of course, she didn't know, or did she suspect...? Since she suggested renting a place. She must know Alexius well enough by now, to know that he might want to do a thing or two with a woman alone. Especially the woman, who was, apparently, of his dreams. 

"I don't think she has much of a choice either. Her family is... very highly ranked. I doubt I'll be around to guard you, should anyone find out about our feelings for each other." Alexius said. He had to be careful. So maybe it was a good thing Ovinia just reminded him. That's why this was so fucked up. Maybe renting a place was a bad idea. Yet Ovinia continued the thought, saying there just had to be a good reason to visit the area. Now thought of renting an entire building, possibly? So he could rent out the ground floor. 

"Your idea doesn't sound cheap now." Alexius said, "Remember I don't have an unlimited amount of coin." He added with a sigh, "Maybe it's too risky anyway." It was a stupid idea he couldn't afford anyway and he shouldn't even be courting Calpurnia, but how else could he see her? They should try and find a middle ground. Lucius had spoken of some festival and maybe they could come up with an idea. One that would work for everyone. He didn't like that Ovinia was miserable either. Or Lucius. No one should be miserable. There was no way to solve this. None.

@Sara

• Like 1

She managed a weak chuckle. "Well then, you had best hope nobody finds out because you are immensely superior to my other guards, and not just for your conversation." She trusted Alexius, really, thoroughly trusted him like she trusted so few people in her life. He was a rock to her in a way she would have never guessed when they first met. They were an odd pair, of course, very much opposites in almost all respects, but chat and talk came easily and she couldn't say she'd ever been with Alexius when he hadn't lifted her spirits. 

But she was doing a poor job of returning the favour as he dismissed her idea out of hand both for the expense and the risk. She sighed. "And you would be content with that? Snatched moments at festivals? Would she be content with that?" She asked, more importantly. "If you think she would not...you should...talk to her. You may not have the funds but as an ex vestal she will have a considerable amount, in her own name, to spend as she wishes Alexius." She sighed and looked at him firmly. "You really should be talking to her not me."

• Like 1

He smiled at her, she was sweet for talking to him this morning, now even complimenting him. Saying he was superior to her other guards. She was very sweet. It was still easy to see why Lucius was so taken with her. Alexius could have been too, but not the same way. Had she not already been in love and if she hadn't been through what she went through, with the barber and everything... he might have made a harder attempt at flirting with her. By now though, he knew it wouldn't have been fair to her. Ovinia was his friend and he'd stand up for her anywhere. If Lucius should ever dare to break her heart, he might easily decide whose side he was on, because he knew her the best. And Alexius could break more than hearts if he set his mind and body to do it.

Luckily, she had no broken heart, she was just hopelessly in love, like he. And her idea about renting a place had been great, but then he deemed it too risky. Ovinia wasn't sure however he would be content with that, or if his love would. And she thought Alexius should talk to Calpurnia about it, maybe she could afford a place.

"Wouldn't it be asking too much of her? I don't wish to seem too... needy for her." Although he was, wasn't he? He was needy. He needed her so much. 

"But you're right, I wouldn't be content with random meetings. And I don't know if she would either. But that's all we have now. Just like you." He sighed, "We're not getting very far here, are we? Should I follow you home? Or... wherever you were going? A temple I think?" 

@Sara

• Like 1

She laughed, actually laughed, at his comment. "Needy?" She shook her head, "You are unreasonably sweet. But you won't know until you ask her. And...if she is as taken with you, as you so clearly are with her...then neediness is mutual, no?" She arched a brow. 

But she commiserated with a shake of her head. "Not very far no...but...it is good to talk. Cathartic, in a way." She squeezed his forearm and then glanced over at her slaves over her shoulder who were still loitering, still casting worried glances to their domina. She sighed and nodded. "I was going to Vesta's." She said with a wince and then glanced back to the river - the boats bobbing where they were across the calm surface of the water. "But perhaps I should go to Venus instead. Or take a leaf out of your book...and go to Fortuna." She smiled sideways at him. "Accompany me?" And with that, she stood and held out her arm for him to hook on. 

• Like 1