May 77AD

Things had gone well since their last proper conversation. Of course Ione had come to see him plenty of times since then, to report what her clients told her in secrecy, so that he could take advantage of that to maybe sometimes blackmail them or otherwise use them for something. Lucius loved having people’s secrets so he could take advantage of them. Now or later, as long as he knew interesting things. He’d been a bit displeased lately though, for his wife had written to him and she was still apparently unable to leave Hispania and join him in Rome. He was beginning to think that maybe she didn’t want to go back to Rome.

So it was a good thing that one of his wealthier clients approached him with an offer. Apparently he’d taken a certain liking to Ione and wanted to strike a deal. Something like the deal she had with Spurius, but this client appeared even wealthier and Lucius was not one to back down from such a chance. He took Ione with him to see the man and while she stood quietly in the background most of the time, she was there. Mostly for show and encouragement for the client, so he wouldn’t take back his offer. But the client was a friendly guy and naturally even offered wine and food for his guest. Lucius had in turn even offered him to the man, but he said he would prefer to have her entirely on his own and with plenty of time. So be it. They decided on an arranged date for her to come to his house once every week.

And then he took Ione with him back towards the brothel. It was already late afternoon and she’d have to work tonight. On the way back though, as they took a shortcut through one of the public gardens of Rome, Lucius began feeling a stomach ache. Maybe the wine at the man’s house hadn’t been so good? Or was it the dates he ate? No matter, it quickly grew worse and he stopped in his tracks, feeling the need to rest. He didn’t like admitting to Ione though, that he wasn’t feeling well. But he suddenly stopped in his tracks as another bad ache came through.

@Sara

• Like 1

Ione didn't know what to think. On the one hand, more time out of the brothel could only ever be a good thing. Even with the repairs it would always be a depressing, cold, oppressive place for her and a wealthy client was good. It's what girls like her dreamed about. Except she didn't. She wanted more time in one house in particular, not another wealthy pleb to service.

She stayed silent, quiet and stood behind her dominus with her eyes lowered as they made their agreement and then he took his lunch. She was ravenous but didn't ask for anything. She knew better and when it was time to head home, she followed Armenius silently. They might have come to an arrangement and she saw him more often now, but she still didn't like how little she knew him and so she stayed quiet, not making any conversation at all. 

And then he stopped and she frowned, glancing at his back. Should she...do something? He didn't move and she bit her lip. She swallowed and drew slightly closer, although still behind him. She knew her place. "Are you alright domine?" She asked in a quiet voice, anxiety in her voice. 

TAG: @Atrice

• Like 1

She'd been a good girl so far, but he was also her owner and her master and he didn't like showing weakness to his slaves. He didn't like that they saw him in such a state, it wasn't good. They might respect him less and he demanded respect. Yet they weren't anywhere near the brothel, in fact they were closer to his current home than said brothel. He'd managed to purchase a nice domus on one of the hills, large enough for his wife and his children too, even though they hadn't joined him yet. But to take Ione there? And now she noticed something wasn't right and asked into it.

"Do I look like I am?" Lucius said with a frustrated voice, "I need a break." He looked around in the garden and spotted a bench. He could also use a drink. He began walking towards the bench though, but kept stopping in his tracks, holding his stomach. 

@Sara

• Like 1

She shrunk back a bit as he snapped at her, as she habitually did in the face of men aggrieved at her. She just stood there, awkwardly unmoving and watching his back as he kept stopping and clutching at his stomach. A few people milled around and cast  them glances and Ione stared at her toes. Swallowing she didn't want to risk his ire but if he was seriously ill and she didn't do anything...surely  that would be worse? 

She dithered, hesitating over what to do and then quietly spoke again. "I...I can try and find a waterskin from somebody here dominus, if you'd like some water?" She bit her lip and glanced at him. "O-Or I can help you to the bench? For your break?" She gestured. "It is not far." 

Edited by Sara
  • Like 1

Ione was at least a good girl, looking to help him rather than just running away when she had the chance. 

"Help me to the bench first." Lucius said, "Then you can find something to... drink..." He inhaled a breath, feeling he might get sick enough to retch. Which wasn't exactly something he did very often. What the fuck had he eaten to feel like this? He hated being reminded that he wasn't young and that he had no one in Rome to really take care of him. Now he had to rely on a young whore.

@Sara

• Like 1

She nodded and then realised he wouldn't be able to see it and hurried to his side. Gently, she moved to grip onto his arm and tried to lift it over her shoulder so she could take some of his weight if he wanted. But she was slight and little and not particularly helpful. She tried her best though, moving at a shuffling pace until they were a few steps from the bench. She didn't look at him, biting her lip. If he was ill, seriously ill, then it was a problem. A very, very big problem. He was not a pleasant man but he was better than Titus. And potentially better than any other dominus that would come after him. 

Stop it Hilaera, he's fine, stop being so dramatic she chided herself. 

She was breathless as they made their way over to the bench and she bit her lips as she looked at him. "I...I could run for a litter instead domine, if you would rather? I'm sure I could get one for rent? Would that be better?" She asked, a bag of nerves.

• Like 1

She did her best to aid him, although he felt that if he put his weight on her she'd crumbled, she was so small and skinny compared to him. But she did help him to the bench and he almost fell down to sit. This really was bad. He felt her eyes on him though and wondered why she didn't get the water he asked for. But then she spoke of a litter instead. And she wouldn't run away instead of doing what she just said?

"Water first." Lucius said, "Maybe a litter won't be... be needed..." He folded over, clutching his stomach. A litter would be needed, and his own bed. He wouldn't go to the brothel like this. Problem was he'd have to take Ione with him. He didn't trust her to make her way back to the brothel on her own. Someone else might take advantage of her or try and rob her or both.

@Sara

• Like 1

"Yes dominus I-" her eyes widened in panic as he doubled over, clutching at his stomach. She bit her lip harder and glanced around, panicked. She was wearing her plain tunica, mercifully, so she was hopeful people wouldn't refuse water to her just because she was a whore. But she tucked her slave collar into her dress just to be safe and then with a few quiet words; "I-I will run and fetch water domine, I will be back, I p-promise." And then she set off on a wobbly run. 

The first people she tried laughed in her face and it was only when she spotted a member of the urban cohorts and explained the situation did she manage to procure a waterskin and after thanking him gratefully and asking if he could procure a litter (which he agreed to doing, with a grumble and a demand to be paid immediately) did she set off to return to Lucius. She had been gone a little while and was breathless and flushed as she skidded to a stop in front of him. "Water, domine, a-and a litter is on the way. But I can cancel it, if you would rather I thought better to have the o-option?" 

• Like 1

When she was finally gone, he glanced around. A public garden wasn't the best place to get sick. He might be robbed or something. But by the time she came back, he'd laid down on the bench, trying to keep it all inside and just relax. It was hard though. Suddenly there was movement and a breathless Ione with a waterskin. He reached for it and sat up while she spoke of getting a litter for him.

"Don't cancel it. It's coming here?" Lucius replied and downed some water. Even now, when he wasn't feeling well, he was still considering the options he had in front of him. Hopefully the litter wasn't an expensive one. That plebian he made the arrangement with today better be worth it. 

@Sara

• Like 1

"Yes domine, the urban cohorts are arranging it now. I didn't tell them your name or where to take you though, I thought you would r-rather do that." She swallowed, choosing not to tell him the cost right now. It sounded like a fortune to her, but then again most things did to somebody who had lived in poverty. 

Gently, she moved to kneel down in front of the bench, in front of him, knees sinking into the grass. She peered at him with concern writ large on her face but she stayed silent, watching him instead. She didn't know what to do and didn't want to be useless but similarly, she wasn't a medicus or a herb wife. And had no clue what this could be. 

• Like 1

He downed a bit of the water, but not too much, there was no knowing how clean the water was. And all clean water was hard to get in Rome. He trusted wine or watered wine more than he trusted fresh water like this. But Ione was a good girl, kind of anyway. He didn't tell her to get the litter for him, but she'd done it anyway. Yet now he thought it was a good idea. She promised she'd not told them where the litter would go. And then she knelt down by the bench. Lucius looked at her, if he'd been feeling better, he would feel superior in that nice way when she sat like that. But now she just looked concerned. Which was both a good and a bad thing.

"Ione... don't tell anyone about this." Lucius then said to her and sipped a bit more water, "Keep it between us." 

@Sara

• Sad 1

Ione grimaced at him. He looked unwell. Very unwell and she'd never seen her dominus as anything but severe and uncompromising and well...strong. It was a different, private side of him that she felt she shouldn't be seeing and clearly he felt similarly as he spoke. She nodded hurriedly, fingers flexing over her knees as she wondered if there was anything else she should be doing. 

"Of course, domine. I won't." She swallowed and then the sound of heavy footfalls and grunts sounded up the path they were on. She glanced over her shoulder to see the litter and hurriedly stood to flag it down. They drew to a stop just in front of Lucius. It was a tatty old thing with bearers who looked worn and exhausted. But that's what you get for a rental. The urban cohorts cleared their throats. "Payment. Sir." He demanded of Lucius. "And where are you going?" Ione offered her arm for Armenius to lean on if he needed to, when he stood. 

• Like 1

She nodded when he told her not to tell anyone about this. And he hoped she'd pray that she could keep her promise. It couldn't be known that he'd been sick when he was out and about. They would see him as weak and think they could fool him. Just because he wasn't young anymore. Lucius was usually very healthy, especially for his age, so this was odd. It must have been the dates he ate. 

"Good." He replied simply and then a petty looking litter appeared and of course they wanted payment. Gods. Lucius reached for his purse and fished out coins and explained how to find his domus at the Quirinal Hill. Ione was kind enough or clever enough to support him into the litter. Once there, he looked at her, "Follow the litter." He said, he couldn't risk her walking back the Elysium on the own and possibly lose her or see her maimed or something, so he would have to take her with him. Not that it meant she'd get to join him in the litter, but she could follow.

Soon they were on the move, luckily the domus they just visited had been on the very same hill, so it wasn't far. The domus wasn't as fancy as one belonging to any Senators and it wasn't on the best part of the hill, but not in the worst part either. It was what he could afford for himself and his family. It was mostly empty now though. He had a few slaves working here, to take care of the place. He wondered what they'd say to seeing Ione here, he usually didn't bring work home like that. Besides the slaves, a tablinum, a few couches and his bedroom, the place wasn't filled with a lot of furniture yet and not much decoration either. He was waiting for his wife to come and take care of all that. The litter was set down and he thanked the cohorts for the help, promised he'd not forget their help. And then he waited for Ione to help him inside.

@Sara

• Like 1

Ione helped her dominus in and then stood by awkwardly as he settled  himself. She merely nodded at  his instruction. She heard the directions he gave but it didn't mean anything to Ione. She didn't know where her dominus lived when he wasn't at the brothel - although she'd come to realise fairly swiftly that he didn't sleep in the bed in his office every night. 

Fortunately it wasn't a long walk and she happily kept pace with the litter bearers, following along with her head ducked and anxiety gnawing at her chest. What would happen to them if the dominus was really, truly ill? For a few days the brothel might run itself but sooner or later the guards and the girls and boys would go unpaid and there would be trouble. And Gods forbid he didn't recover at all...She shuddered at the thought, the thought of inducting a new dominus, one who might be less keen on some of her better arrangements and the repairs and expense Lucius was putting into the place. 

Her thoughts distracted her amply as they walked and when the litter jerked to a stop it took her a moment to come to the side, holding out her arm again to help her dominus. The door to the domus swung open and Ione blinked. It might not have been big to Lucius, but was to her and as she helped him inside her lips parted a little, staring around in wonder. It was beautiful, if a bit bare. She didn't have long to look though before two silent slaves appeared and Ione blinked. Presuming she'd hand Lucius off she glanced at him; "Is there anything else I can do before I go domine?" 

• Like 1

He wasn't that sick, right? He just needed his own bed and some rest and then he'd be fine. What a pity his wife wasn't here to take care of him. But now she might never know he was sick, which might also be good. He didn't like being sick and he especially didn't like people knowing. Not that he thought deeply about it, except for missing the tender hand of his wife... but he would make do with what he had. And once they reached the domus, what he had were the few house slaves and Ione. She helped him inside and one of the male house slaves came to help Lucius move on towards his bed. Ione thought she should leave.

"You're not going alone." Lucius said, "You're staying here until..." He folded over again, as another ache came through him. The male slave gave him a concerned look, but he ignored it, "Just... you're staying." He hissed and then nothing more, as he urged the slave to help him along. It didn't take long before he reached his bed and fell onto it. The slave helped him undress, wondering what was wrong. Lucius said he could go ask Ione, because he didn't feel like talking. He felt like sleeping, if he could. 

It grew worse towards the evening and someone tried to feed him and get him to drink something. When he finally agreed to drink a bit of wine, it only caused him to retch. Which might be good, because that caused his stomach to settle a bit and he could finally catch some sleep. All until the following morning.

@Sara

• Like 1

Ione blinked at her domine as she passed him off to the burly male slave and nodded silently. She had been out plenty of times by herself - she fished for business, or used to before the brothel got busier - most days alone but...she supposed never this far from home and the watchful eyes of people that knew who she belonged with. Either way it also meant a night away from work which was a small blessing, even though her concern for her dominus was deep rooted. 

She worried most of the evening, curled up in a chair in the slave's quarters, drinking cheap lora and saying nothing to the surly slaves who seemed to think she was somehow worse than them because their shared dominus owned them for different purposes. She wasn't comfortable here but didn't have much time to dwell on it. Her thoughts were largely taken up with anxiety for Lucius and what would happen if...Gods above, she tried not to think of it and when one of the slaves returned to say he was sleeping, Ione felt herself relax a touch. 

She didn't sleep much though - it was early for her after all, she didn't usually sleep until almost dawn and as it cracked she was wide awake and gently padding through the domus. She hadn't intended to spy on him but she wanted to check. To see if he looked better at least. So she moved quietly through the house until she came to the edge of the room. She was silent - or thought she was - as she peered in. He didn't look like he had a fever but...she couldn't tell from here. She bit her lip. She shouldn't...but then she reasoned if she did nothing and he did have a fever and they didn't summon the medicus quickly then...she winced as she quietly stepped into the room and to his bed. Gently she moved her fingers to his forehead to feel his skin, hoping she didn't feel heat. 

• Like 1

He hadn't slept perfectly well, but better than expected and at least he got some sleep. It hadn't even been evening when they returned to the house, and night fell and turned to morning and he was still fast asleep. He did however sense the rising sun outside, but tried to hide under his covers. Luckily that did work and he slept again, all until someone touched his forehead and his eyes shut open and stared up at Ione. At first he was confused, where was he and why was Ione here?

"What are you doing?" 

@Sara

• Like 1

Ione physically jumped back as her dominus' eyes opened and he blinked up at her, staring. She clutched her chest in panic, more because it was so unexpected and he had seemed sound asleep. "I..." She blinked. She fucked up. She shouldn't have been here, watching over him, touching him as he slept. She blinked, wide eyes even wider and she didn't look away. 

"I...I was seeing if you had a fever, domine. I didn't wish to wake you but I-I thought if you did I should send for a medicus." she swallowed and dropped her hands back down to her side, clutching at the tunica she wore. "Are....are you feeling better?" 

• Like 1

He was confused and Ione was jumping at the way he so suddenly woke up. But he had been sleeping lightly right now apparently, so he woke easily. Though he was confused. While she was trying to decide how to answer him, he looked around. Oh, he was home. And Ione was here? Why? He'd been feeling bad enough yesterday to mostly being concerned with his own well-being and not her. But he must have told her to stay, else she'd not be here, she would have been working.

"I think I am." He said and tried to push himself up to sit, "I don't need a medicus. I'm better." He promised. He felt hungry and thirsty, but last time he drank something he retched. He didn't want to do that again.

@Sara

• Like 1

Ione smiled softly and nodded, genuinely happy  to hear it. "Good...that's good domine, I'm pleased." Because discomfort with him was better than the unknown with another dominus. She watched him carefully as he sat up and then glanced around the room. 

"Can I get you something, domine? I know you have slaves here but I can be useful, whilst I'm here? Unless you'd rather me go back?" She dropped her eyes down to her bare feet. She'd been a bit bold to look at him.

• Like 1

Ione seemed genuinely pleased to hear that he was doing better, which surprised him a bit. He had not expected such a reaction from her. Then she would know how she could be useful and wondered if she should go back on her own.

"There's not any work for you at the brothel now." Lucius replied, "You can be useful here, you... know me differently, than the house slaves." He added. He hadn't bedded any of them, not that he hadn't considered it, but there had just been no need to do so. They were all very obedient and he got his release at the brothel if he wanted. From Ione even, sometimes. And she even wanted to make herself useful here. Luckily for her, he needed no release now.

"Do you know anything about... what would be good to eat, when you're sick?" At home it would be his wife that took care of him. Knew such things. But she was at their home in Hispania, far from him. And Ione knew a bit about cooking. She might know something.

@Sara

• Like 1

For a brief moment Ione read something differently in his words and her eyes widened. She did know him differently - she remembered his hands on her, remembered being bent over his desk and riding him. She remembered it vividly, whenever she saw him but...surely he didn't mean that? He had been so ill yesterday...surely he couldn't fathom sex at a time like this but...he didn't. She let out a relieved sigh and a smile as he posed a different question instead. 

"Yes domine," she nodded hurriedly. "My father was often sick." Mainly because he drank too much of course, but she figured it worked for this as well. "Plain breads and then a light chicken stew - very light - always helped settle the stomach? And the most watered, plainish wine you can stomach. No honey or spices." That always seemed to work. "I can go tell the cook to start it...if you have one, if not I can cook." She glanced up and gave him a soft smile. "And I can get you some clean clothes? They always made me feel better when I was ill. And fresh air," She was rambling now, "So sitting in the garden might help?" 

• Like 1

Ione had plenty of advice for him, now that he wasn't feel so well, although he was better than yesterday. She began listing what to eat and what not to eat and he listened. It did sound like she knew what she was talking about. That made it almost a pity that she was such a popular prostitute, because she also cooked well and clearly knew a bit about medicine. She could be useful in more ways.

"I have a cook, you can tell him what to do." He replied, "And clean clothes do sound nice." Lucius added with a sigh, he did feel a bit smelly to be honest. This was so unexpected. 

@Sara

• Like 1

Ione held her breath after she trailed off, realising she had been speaking - or rambling rather - for far longer than she'd anticipated. She gave him a weak smile and then...he agreed. She couldn't hide the susrpise on her face for a moment and then a wide, pretty grin spread on her lips and she nodded hurriedly as she backed out of the room. "I will go and instruct the cook, domine, and then I'll be back." 

She hurried to the kitchens to see the yawning cook sitting morosely and stoking a fire. He was less than pleased at being instructed by a whore, but with a heavy sigh he murmured his agreement and then set about starting the dish, saying he'd get one of the house slaves to bring it through when it was done. In the meanwhile Ione filled up a heavy basin with water and - warmed from the fire - and draping some clean cloths over her arm she struggled back to the room, splashing water as she went. 

She entered silently, or as silently as she could and then set the basin down on the table. "I thought you might wish for some water domine, to wash, if you do not feel up to the baths." She doubted her dominus had his own complex like Spurius - but perhaps that was a mistake? Then she planted her hands on her hips and glanced around. "Your clothes, domine?" In a way it was sad to see Ione like this. This was a far more natural fit for her than spreading her legs - it was what she'd done both as a daughter and as her first role as a slave. 

• Like 1

She had been rambling, but due to his current state of well-being - or lack thereof - he barely noticed. Instead he thought her advice sounded useful and told her what to do. He wasn't leaving this bed anytime soon anyway. He wore only a tunica, the same he wore last night and clean clothes did indeed sound nice. Ione seemed a bit too pleased that she was told to tell the cook what to do, but then she promised to be back soon. Lucius lay back down onto the pillow and stared up at the ceiling. This was so unexpected and inconvenient. Yet just the thought of how he threw up last night and what it felt like and the taste of it, made him feel sick again. He could taste the sweet dates when he threw them back up. That had to be it. Maybe that client wasn't getting his piece of Ione anyway. Or he might, but he'd have to cough up some more coin to have her... with how Lucius felt after the visit yesterday.

He'd almost drifted off to sleep again, when Ione returned and he blinked his eyes open, seeing her set a some sort of metal water basin onto a table. She thought he ought to wash and would know where his clothes were.

"In the chest over there." Lucius nodded towards a corner of the bedroom, where a large wooden chest stood. He pushed the pillow behind him to sit up and carefully swung his legs over the edge of the bed. He had a headache now that he was sitting... "Did you bring me anything to drink?" 

@Sara

Edited by Atrice
  • Like 1